• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Ledsen

DangerousDave said:
I had to fight
the second and third stages
of Cornell with no life, no mana. Each time that I died i respawn with life to resist a small hit. Twenty minutes of rolling and rolling and making a single hit each time that he dash. So, no, I don't want to fight him ever again.

Swordmasters are VERY easy. Even without fairies (I never remember to use subweapons). They are too fast to cover, specially when there are more than one. But if you make 2 or 3 attacks from far away, and roll when they get close, you can defeat it in a few attacks. Also, there is no QTE to kill them.
If you'd just parried his attacks to build magic you could've finished him in minutes. Parrying is key in this game.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Ledsen said:
If you'd just parried his attacks to build magic you could've finished him in minutes. Parrying is key in this game.

It sure is, it's really helpful against most bosses and tough enemies!
However it gets hard to do it when you fight groups of 3-4 or more enemies, in small rooms (like three Swordmasters, three Skeletons or a bunch of Trolls)...there the "rolling + overhead jump" and then combo saved my life a lot.

ezekial45

Banned
Need help in the Clock Tower:

I just got here, and i got to the lever that brings the platform up. For some reason, the lever stops halfway and the platform goes all the way down. What am i doing wrong?

lawblob said:
It gets tedious with constant events i am unsure of. In ch.5, I'm supposed to push a stone tomb over a grave, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing what it wants, but...?

Don't hold R2/RT, just press once, then call Zobek over, then you'll get a prompt to tap a face button repeatedly.

Valcryst

Neo Member
ezekial45 said:

I just got here, and i got to the lever that brings the platform up. For some reason, the lever stops halfway and the platform goes all the way down. What am i doing wrong?

If you
made it to the upper level after jumps and platforming, and you're using the crank (you have to move it clockwise if I remember correctly) it shoud work, and raise the platform to your level...that's odd, just be careful when spinning, or try to move the analog stick if you got stuck!

ebm62980

Neo Member
ezekial45 said:

I had the same issue but found that I was holding down R2 when I was turning the crank...when I pressed and released R2 to grab the crank it worked fine.

ebm62980 said:
I had the same issue but found that I was holding down R2 when I was turning the crank...when I pressed and released R2 to grab the crank it worked fine.

These are really my only major complaints. Holding R2(RT) turning cranks, pulling the statues over the graves, etc., seems like a logical thing to do, but the game will kick you off them if you do. It isn't a huge problem but it was annoying when I ran into it, and requires a little bit of conditioning to break the habit.

CaptYamato said:
Wow just beat it...

0_0 my GOTY so far.

I finished it yesterday and I'm surprised (delightfully so) that I am also considering it for my own GOTY. I bought it thinking "ah, what the hell" and now it's up there with RDR, SC2, and ME2 for me. Wow...what a great game. I still have that "numb" feeling you get when you finish a truly great game.

Ledsen said:

Yeah, I've done it in the first part, but I missed some parry (and then got hit) and I didn't care because, well, I though he was already dead. With the second part (and this happen to me with some big monsters) I didn't parried because all the attacks seems too brutal to be parried (even if they don't have the bright light)

Maffis

lawblob said:
Ch.4 has a great ominous vibe. The more i think about it, i have no idea why the demo wasn't a later level. The environments get so much more interesting past the first hour or two.

I am also now playing on easy. With a long game like this, I want to make sure i actually finish it before losing interest. I hate playing on baby mode, but I am turrible at character action games.

Nothing wrong with playing on easy. It's there for a reason ;)

I'm sure this has been answered in one of the 4,879 posts in this thread, but how come, after installing both discs on my Xbox, I'm still being requested to put in Disc 1 when I go to earlier levels? Did Joystiq lie to me?

ezekial45

Banned
Valcryst said:
If you
made it to the upper level after jumps and platforming, and you're using the crank (you have to move it clockwise if I remember correctly) it shoud work, and raise the platform to your level...that's odd, just be careful when spinning, or try to move the analog stick if you got stuck!

I found out what the problem was. I was holding down the R2 button. You only need to tap the button when grabbing objects. I've been doing it this whole time and it never gave me problems. Weird. :lol

JohngPR

Those of you that thing that Castlevanias move set is limited are dead wrong. It just opened up for me and there are are shit ton of choices.

Play past chapter 2. 3-1 was a ton of fun and reminded me of SOTN in the way of having multiple paths for you to explore in order for you to find where you have to go. Loved it!

DJ Lushious said:
I'm sure this has been answered in one of the 4,879 posts in this thread, but how come, after installing both discs on my Xbox, I'm still being requested to put in Disc 1 when I go to earlier levels? Did Joystiq lie to me?

Yes, they did. Disc swapping is mandated by Microsoft for DRM reasons.

wouwie

Is there somebody who didn't like Gow 3 but enjoyed this game? I liked the demo a lot but i'm thinking the hack 'n slash will get boring after a while for me (it's not my preferred genre and i'm not good at it).

Is there lot's of platforming and puzzling in between the hack n' slash gameplay? Any estimated percentage of combat/puzzling/platforming.

Never hesitated so much in buying a game. It appeals to me in virtually every way except the combat.

JohngPR

Video games101: When given health and magic power ups right before a massive light at end of a hallway, you are in for some shit!

:lol

c5cc.jpg

wouwie said:
Is there lot's of platforming and puzzling in between the hack n' slash gameplay? Any estimated percentage of combat/puzzling/platforming.

Never hesitated so much in buying a game. It appeals to me in virtually every way except the combat.

There is plently of combat, but the pace is broken up nicely between that and the platforming and puzzle gameplay. I'd say the game is 50% combat, 25% platforming, 25% combat...at least in the first two chapters.

Maffis

wouwie said:
Is there somebody who didn't like Gow 3 but enjoyed this game? I liked the demo a lot but i'm thinking the hack 'n slash will get boring after a while for me (it's not my preferred genre and i'm not good at it).

I didn't like the combat in GOW 3 that much, but here I find it significantly more fun. Here you really need to be able to dodge and block, but in GOW3 I found myself just swinging chains in every direction.

There is a fair amount of just running around and exploring/climbing stuff etc. Some maps might not have more than a few monsters here and there, but some maps have alot of them and pretty hard bossfights at the end.

If you don't like combat at all, I can not say I recommend this game to you.

Dascu

Henchmen21 said:
Don't know how someone found this but one of the people on the castlevania dungeon forums posted this link to alot of artwork

LOS artwork page

My personal fave.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_iNJSvp7pfgU/TLNW_oLk8BI/AAAAAAAAExo/X81LQtiiXqY/s1024/Tower%20Entrance.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Damn son. Some great artwork there.

wouwie

Maffis said:
I didn't like the combat in GOW 3 that much, but here I find it significantly more fun. Here you really need to be able to dodge and block, but in GOW3 I found myself just swinging chains in every direction.

There is a fair amount of just running around and exploring/climbing stuff etc. Some maps might not have more than a few monsters here and there, but some maps have alot of them and pretty hard bossfights at the end.

If you don't like combat at all, I can not say I recommend this game to you.

Ok thanks. I really want to explore this gameworld though (it looks superb) so i think i'll wait for a good deal and go through the game on easy then.

woah, the timing for the trial on the
second titan
is like the closest thing ever. I just finished it in my third try with 0:00 seconds left...

Haha, damn that QTE when I was trying to finish off the
Orge
. Didn't know you have to wait until the circle is within the circle to press a button.

I thought I had to press a button when the circles where aligned perfected. :/

Tryckser said:
woah, the timing for the trial on the
second titan
is like the closest thing ever. I just finished it in my third try with 0:00 seconds left...

I'm doing the third titan trial right now and it's not any easier.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Does anyone else find that the audio during the boss fights is poor?

I find that in my game the score that is playing in the background is quite a bit quieter than what I experience in most games and then even the sound effects are too quiet as well. For instance when I dropped the Titan at the end of level 3 there was no earth shaking sounds when she fell, or any really dramatic music when I finally killed her.
Very surprised with this, enough that I question that there is something wrong with my disc.

What are others finding?

forrest

formerly nacire
After looking at the concept artwork on Picasa, you can tell why the game looks soo damn good!Amazing concepts with amazing execution of said concepts! Bravo art team at mecurysteam!

This was one of my favorite vistas from the game. It looks like RavenFox posted the ingame version!
Vampire%20Castle.png

RavenFox

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
Take the plastic off the frame of your TV.
Wow I didn't see that there...:-/
It's brand new out the box and belongs to my Pops. Take it easy the plastic was taken off.
nacire said:
After looking at the concept artwork on Picasa, you can tell why the game looks soo damn good!Amazing concepts with amazing execution of said concepts! Bravo art team at mecurysteam!

This was one of my favorite vistas from the game. It looks like RavenFox posted the ingame version!
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_iNJSvp7pfgU/TLNQ-lU9uhI/AAAAAAAAEsc/FB-ZCJDjgS4/s912/Vampire%20Castle.png[/IM][/QUOTE]
Woah you're absolutely right nacire. What a beautiful part of the game.

wouwie said:

having finished the first chapter, & being someone who gradually came to hate the gow series (& passed on gow3 after a couple hours), i'm pretty happy i decided to give los a shot. it really is as gorgeous as everyone's saying it is, &, if you've got the cash, well worth checking out, even if you have to turn the combat down to easy (which should make the combat doable)...

very different vibe than gow...

Glix

I just tried to splice the two pics (concept art and ingame) into a side by side.

Unfortunatley, I only have Paint at work, and flickr doesn't let me link to my images there anymore. But if someone else wants to do it, damn, they realized their creative vision completely. Just wow.

Tryckser said:
Doesn't sound very good... :/

Just did it with 2 seconds left. I never want to do anything like that ever again.

Like with the other titans it's all memorization and careful timing.
When you're hanging on the exterior bones (the ones that stick out really far) the trick is to ALWAYS wait until the next bone you're going to jump to is on its way back toward you, else you will fall. It's also good to know which direction to start jumping Gabriel in after you chain cross over to those spiky bones that hang down underneath

Also,
try to have the rune that is on its belly smashed with at least more than a minute to go on the timer, and finally, once you reach the final stage of the fight, IMMEDIATELY R2 up into its mouth and make a mad dash to the mouth rune

These were the main tips I stuck to, so if you do these things while simply traversing the creature as fast as you possibly can (always jam on the jump button to move him faster) you'll have an easier time.

It's pretty difficult but not impossible. It took me about six attempts or so, and by that point you should have the whole damn sequence etched into your head.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Henchmen21 said:
Don't know how someone found this but one of the people on the castlevania dungeon forums posted this link to alot of artwork
These the unlockables from the game itself?

john tv

Just got to Chapter 9. Cutscenes, boss battles, environments keep getting better and better. Game's got a lot of major problems IMO but it's still been really entertaining. The
Orlox
fight especially just kicked ass.

Little worried about where it's going from here. The
floating head/zombie football shit at the start of Chapter 9 has me concerned
. but I'm holding out hope that the game will continue to improve. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Titan Graveyard is easily one of the most aggravating levels in the game. In comparison, the rest of Chapter X was incredibly easy, fun, and quick.

Fire Pinnacle was badass. Easily one of my favorite sections of the game.

I'm in Chapter XI right now. Looks like I'm closing in on the end of the game!

john tv said:
Just got to Chapter 9. Cutscenes, boss battles, environments keep getting better and better. Game's got a lot of major problems IMO but it's still been really entertaining. The
Orlox
fight especially just kicked ass.

Little worried about where it's going from here. The
floating head/zombie football shit at the start of Chapter 9 has me concerned
. but I'm holding out hope that the game will continue to improve. :)

What troubles me about the game is how unreliable it is (rather than being consistently bad). For instance, jumping backwards from a ledge to grab another one, and inexplicably not grabbing the new ledge and falling to my death.

The game is AMAZING when it's good, and utterly aggravating when it isn't.

JohngPR

Holy shit that boss fight (end of Chapter 3) was hard! Timing the counter is key on this boss. Even though it was tough, it was pretty damn rewarding once I beat him.

Truelize said:
Does anyone else find that the audio during the boss fights is poor?

I find that in my game the score that is playing in the background is quite a bit quieter than what I experience in most games and then even the sound effects are too quiet as well. For instance when I dropped the Titan at the end of level 3 there was no earth shaking sounds when she fell, or any really dramatic music when I finally killed her.
Very surprised with this, enough that I question that there is something wrong with my disc.

What are others finding?

The first thing I typically do in any game that I play, is to adjust the audio settings. I usually find the sound effects/dialogue to be too loud in most cases. It took some tinkering, but I got Castlevania to sound pretty nice in the end. It's a pet peeve, sure, but it really is something that developers should have their audio team focus on. So many games have terrible audio leveling but it's even more distressing when the ability to fix it yourself isn't there.

thetrin said:
The Titan Graveyard is easily one of the most aggravating levels in the game. In comparison, the rest of Chapter X was incredibly easy, fun, and quick.

Fire Pinnacle was badass. Easily one of my favorite sections of the game.

I'm in Chapter XI right now. Looks like I'm closing in on the end of the game!

One of the finest parts of the game. Solid platforming, great puzzles, and some fun combat. I really hope the sequel will have more of this.

Ugh, the Abbey Library trial might be harder than the Titan trials. Thankfully I think I have only 5 or so trials left, and then it's time to beat every level on Paladin for supreme victory.

brandonh83 said:
Ugh, the Abbey Library trial might be harder than the Titan trials. Thankfully I think I have only 5 or so trials left, and then it's time to beat every level on Paladin for supreme victory.
Will I be seeing a new platinum on your list soon? :D

Ricker

Wow,start of disk 2, i`m in the labyrinth garden and i`m getting massive slowdowns in there but I didn`t install it...disk 1 installed was not doing that...those little guys in there are annoying hehe...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
brandonh83 said:

Can the trials be done on any difficulty level? I plan to do them myself after finishing the game proper.

Brandon F said:
Can the trials be done on any difficulty level? I plan to do them myself after finishing the game proper.
Any difficulty level. I'm doing all mine on easy mode as a nice siesta before I go through on the hardest difficulty :lol

So far I've been doing them on Paladin. Haven't had too much trouble, since the checkpoint system really works in your favor with the trials. Cuts down on the number of times you need to play the level.

DevilWillcry said:
Will I be seeing a new platinum on your list soon? :D

Soon is debatable. :lol

The
music box
trial is also going to suck. If I can just get through these two the rest shouldn't be as difficult. Just thankful that I got the Titan ones out of the way I mean jesus christ

On the trial victory description for
the Dracolich
it says "you have taken down the
Dracolich
in 4:59":lol

Top Bottom