• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

LiK

Ricker said:
The weird camera angle point of view switching in the Garden`s Maze was annoying lol...going south,south to try and figure my way then all of a sudden south is north and east is west...crap :lol ...took me a while in there.
Really? That was a quick lvl for me. Easiest maze lvl in an action game imo :D

KdoubleA

RavenFox said:
I was surprised to hear vampire killer in
the music box
. Well done Mercury Steam

Haha, I really loved that chapter! One of my favorite sequences in the game. Something about its atmosphere seemed both nostalgic and creepy at the same, doesn't help with Baba Yaga's laughter :lol

LiK

KdoubleA said:
Haha, I really loved that chapter! One of my favorite sequences in the game. Something about its atmosphere seemed both nostalgic and creepy at the same, doesn't help with Baba Yaga's laughter :lol
Heeheeheeeheee!

Fimbulvetr said:
The irony being that Bayonetta doesn't have nearly as many plotholes or logical inconsistencies. :lol

it's all about the presentation! I loved Bayonetta, when I was actually playing it. logical inconsistencies aside, LOS didn't make me want to drown myself in battery acid during the in-betweens :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished the game last night. The last boss was a weird twist, and...well, crazy easy. Why was
Cornell
the hardest boss in the game???

thetrin said:
Why was
Cornell

I don't know, but I'm glad it didn't get any harder after that. That boss made me question my first playthrough being on Knight, but after that, in comparison everything else was smooth sailing.

LiK

thetrin said:
Finished the game last night. The last boss was a weird twist, and...well, crazy easy. Why was
Cornell
He was hard? Even his 2nd form was very easy to dodge.
Pan
was a good challenge tho.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LiK said:
He was hard? Even his 2nd form was very easy to dodge.
Pan
was a good challenge tho.

He was pretty hard for where he was in the game. You never really face anyone remotely as hard as him before that. It's a serious difficulty spike. Almost every boss after that is far far easier.

I actually found
Pan
pretty easy. He doesn't dash across the screen at super speed, and only has one form.

RavenFox said:
Yup Werewolves pwn Vampires.

Yeah. He easily had the best second phase design out of all the Lords of Shadow.

LiK

thetrin said:
He was pretty hard for where he was in the game. You never really face anyone remotely as hard as him before that. It's a serious difficulty spike. Almost every boss after that is far far easier.

I actually found
Pan
pretty easy. He doesn't dash across the screen at super speed, and only has one form.
Interesting, I had no trouble with
Cornell
but
Pan
did screw me up with that QTE near the end.

thetrin

LiK said:
Interesting, I had no trouble with
Cornell
but
Pan
did screw me up with that QTE near the end.

Oh yeah, I failed that the first time he did it. Wasn't expecting it.

thetrin

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Beat him in about 4 tries on hard... not sure what all the fuss about him being hard is about.

The fuss is that it took more than one try. The rest of the bosses are a cakewalk in comparison, and he's at the start of the game :lol

LiK

thetrin said:
The fuss is that it took more than one try. The rest of the bosses are a cakewalk in comparison, and he's at the start of the game :lol

no retries here, i pwned him, hee hee. maybe that's why i loved the fight so much :D

Dever

Banned
What the fuck is up with double tapping the left stick in this game? I hated it when I had to do it with those wargs, now I get an item I have to double tap to use? :( I can't tap it fast enough or something, I don't get it.

edit: oh, tap as in tilt in some direction. God... damnit. I thought it meant pressing it twice in rapid succession. Game is awesome. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm the idiot that couldn't figure out what to do when Butcher put the pot on his head. Before I get lambasted, I did try merely jump attacking, but it didn't connect properly so I just assumed that wasn't the answer initially.

I eventually started trying every single unlocked ability from the Trigger+jump charge uppercut, to using every fairy magic form, and even trying to grab stuff around the room.

Felt like such an idiot when I finally just jump whipped him again. SMH.

Tom Penny

I think I'm like half way through the game and it's good but I can't say this game is great. It rips off a bunch of gameplay mechanics from various games but doesn't really nail anyone one of them in particular. Graphics are nice though.

Gattsu25

Banned
thetrin said:
I beat him on my first go. Took me very close to dying during several parts of the fight, though.

Dodging, knowing when to attack, blocking at the right time, and having a habit of 'immediately destroying destructable objects in the environment' all come in handy.

thetrin said:
Cornell
He is a
werewolf.

they are the strongest of the monsters.

Edit: when I fought
Pan
I beat his ass. destroyed him.

brandonh83 said:
it's all about the presentation! I loved Bayonetta, when I was actually playing it. logical inconsistencies aside, LOS didn't make me want to drown myself in battery acid during the in-betweens :lol

He said story, not dialogue(which was still cheesy enough to make people not want to listen to Patrick Stewart in LoS).

RavenFox said:
So why did it take you 4 tries?

Because I died, but I died on the
ice titan, the rock titan, the crow boss,
but it was still a fairly simple boss battle. Everyone made it seem so hard in the posts, and like the end all of bosses in the game. Hell I even barely countered him, which seeing that was the response most people gave in how to deal with it was even more interesting to me. I died more on the
rock titan boss, and groups of the bigger werewolves more then him...
honestly... till I figured out more dodging techniques.

Glix

CaptYamato said:
He is a
werewolf.

they are the strongest of the monsters.

Edit: when I fought
Pan
I beat his ass. destroyed him.

Using the crystal on him helps ALOT, I think thats why I didn't find him as tough as others did.

forrest

formerly nacire
LiK said:
My fave: Hold X, X,X,,X, X and Air X,X, Y

Pwnage :D
My favorite:

Double tap L-stick, Triangle, Square followed by Triangle, X, X followed by L2+Square fully charged. This three combo sequence brings the pain, especially when infused with shadow magic!

The combat system is ace once your invested enough to know all of the moves. I found it tough to remember everything at first, but once you commit to your full repertoire it's all kinds of awesome! :D

*Cornell was tough, but I had more trouble with Olrox.

I'm still waiting for some word on the endgame errors and errors causing save file corruption. It's kind of shitty that nobody is speaking out to the public about it to even let us know they're working on it.

For now, I am being paranoid and regularly doing staggered backups on an SD card I threw in the PS3 and an external drive. I've put way too many hours into this for it to go belly up on me... I haven't even gone through to the end yet (on Chapter X now) because I keep taking breaks to go back and find missing/locked out items and do some trials before continuing.

LiK

nacire said:
My favorite:

Double tap L-stick, Triangle, Square followed by Triangle, X, X followed by L2+Square fully charged. This three combo sequence brings the pain, especially when infused with shadow magic!

The combat system is ace once your invested enough to know all of the moves. I found it tough to remember everything at first, but once you commit to your full repertoire it's all kinds of awesome! :D

yea, once you buy all the advanced moves, it's a lot of fun experimenting with the different combos.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I'm still waiting for some word on the endgame errors and errors causing save file corruption. It's kind of shitty that nobody is speaking out to the public about it to even let us know they're working on it.

For now, I am being paranoid and regularly doing staggered backups on an SD card I threw in the PS3 and an external drive. I've put way too many hours into this for it to go belly up on me... I haven't even gone through to the end yet (on Chapter X now) because I keep taking breaks to go back and find missing/locked out items and do some trials before continuing.

save errors? i must've missed it here. any details? no issues here. 360 btw.

LiK said:
save errors? i must've missed it here. any details? no issues here. 360 btw.

360 version doesn't corrupt the saves, but in some cases people have reported the PS3 version when erroring out corrupts the save file. The same errors "Unhandled Error" exist in the 360 version but the save file there seems to be safe. I think the only spot I've heard of the error occurring is during the last boss fight (of course, right?).

forrest

formerly nacire
ScrabbleBanshee said:
360 version doesn't corrupt the saves, but in some cases people have reported the PS3 version when erroring out corrupts the save file. The same errors "Unhandled Error" exist in the 360 version but the save file there seems to be safe. I think the only spot I've heard of the error occurring is during the last boss fight (of course, right?).

It's a special move!

All kidding aside the save file corruption issue just plain sucks. Sorry for anyone affected.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Nah, it happened to me and I wasn't anywhere near the end.
Malphas

Cox, prince of lies, says they're working on a patch as we speak and it should be out soon.

LiK

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Wow, I see. Ouch

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
When I was playing the game on normal I wasn't getting any slowdown. Now that I have moved onto the next hardest setting I'm getting huge frame drops and slowdown.

It's either that or now that I've got more combos they are slowing things down.

Does this game run better with an install?

360 version

Chiggs

Gold Member
So I decided to keep going after being completely underwhelmed with the first two chapters (certainly not visually).

Very glad I did.

I'm currently on Chapter 5 and the game has really taken off. The framerate seems to be better (slightly), the levels are more interesting (wow @ the Chapter 5 vista), and the story seems to be heading in the right direction (but I think I can guess where it's all going).

The longevity of the game is what's really nice, too...I definitely appreciate the meaty singleplayer experience.

Things that have annoyed/frustrated me so far:

1.) That stupid girl informing me every 3 minutes that I need to find three dark crystals (this while I'm being mauled by 3 giant Lycans--THANKS, SWEETHEART!)

2.) Zobek telling me, rather assertively, that we need to block the holes in the cemetery so the ghouls don't keep coming in, only to act in a nonchalant manner when I ask him to help push the statue. "As you wish," he says as he takes his sweet ass time doing so.

3.) Chupacabras - STUPID. LAME. RETARDED. POINTLESS. DUMB. CRAPPY VOICEWORK. WHY.

4.) Cornell - he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be, but he's still tough--and at a point in the game that just doesn't make sense.

5.) The second titan fight - it's not hard but the timing on reversing the thrown rock is crap. Don't like it at all.

6. Monster-riding. It's used way too much and it's not that cool.

100.61% game completion @ 37 hours :lol

Still have several trials and most of the game to do on Paladin. Guess this bitch goes up to 110%

brandonh83 said:
100.61% game completion @ 37 hours :lol

Still have several trials and most of the game to do on Paladin. Guess this bitch goes up to 110%

Is there an in game counter or are you just counting yourself? I ask cause I couldn't find one.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Is there an in game counter or are you just counting yourself? I ask cause I couldn't find one.

The info appears when you idle on your saved data icon from the XMB.

And the
music box
trial ended up being one of the easiest in the game because of how many checkpoints you get.

MrMephistoX

KdoubleA said:
I believe this is closer to the original style of Castlevania than say Symphony of the Night; which a lot of people are unfortunately using as the benchmark for what makes a Castlevania game (nothing against the game btw, still one of my favorites)).

!

I can only base this off the demo since I haven't received my copy yet but you're dead on. I'd say it has quite a bit in common with all the Castlevanias prior to Symphony of the Night and I always preferred that style anyway: Dracula X and Super Castlevania IV are tied in my book as my favorites in the series although I do like Symphony and some of the DS entries.

Metroid Vania was getting way too derivative in my opinion.

brandonh83 said:

And the
music box
trial ended up being one of the easiest in the game because of how many checkpoints you get.

Thanks Brandon!

God I love this game and I'm still only on Chapter 5... HELL YEAH!!!! Love how everyone says it just gets better and better!

brandonh83 said:

And the
music box
You get a trophy for getting a 110%

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just can't make up my mind on which version to get. I was going to get it for PS3 but then I heard about the save corruptions. Then I read about the 360 version and apparently there's a recurring issue about the game freezing for a second every time you kill an enemy. Generally framerate seems to be better on PS3 too. Maybe my best bet is to get it on PS3 and backup after every play session.

andymcc

Banned
LiK said:
Yea, Chupacabras were lame but they only pop up a few times.

they were still stupefying examples of lazy game design. the one you have to get
with the light from the statues
is one of the most heinous parts in a game in recent memory.

Top Bottom