• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

thetrin said:
Yeah, if it's the vine section with the warg, you can definitely jump all of those in a single bound.

How do you do the last one to where they respawn? The next two after that are really short jumps but that initial one isn't.

Solune said:
Uh no man, you just suck at the combat straight up. And why do you need to start with full health? Why don't you man up a little, the game shouldn't have to hold your hand all day. Like thetrin said you should be dodging or blocking, if you don't utilize the tools then you're just another fool.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No, you should be able to use the game mechanics. And dodging sucks balls too against werewolves because of how far they can jump.

And apparently one part in chapter 2 if you kill your mount too early because it doesn't prompt you at first, you have to keep falling to your death until you restart from checkpoint to get another mount. Great...

Edit: I'm just not feeling this game at all. The shitty you always keep the same health because we give you a shitty way to try and restore it god awful.

Get one good counter and fill up the focus meter. After that you should get enough light magic orbs o get your health up pretty quickly.

Peff

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How do you do the last one to where they respawn? The next two after that are really short jumps but that initial one isn't.

There is a whip grab point to the left of the bridge, from there you can jump to the lower level of the other platform.

Peff said:
There is a whip grab point to the left of the bridge, from there you can jump to the lower level of the other platform.

Damn, I must have been blind. Good to know there's something there then.

_tetsuo_ said:
Get one good counter and fill up the focus meter. After that you should get enough light magic orbs o get your health up pretty quickly.

Timing still feels awkward for blocking in this game and I'm never sure which ones are unblockable. The troll type things I can never seem to block even though none of their attacks do the glisten thing that unblockable ones do.

Not knowing when you're whip is going to give out when rappeling is really annoying too.

LiK

Solune said:
Uh no man, you just suck at the combat straight up. And why do you need to start with full health? Why don't you man up a little, the game shouldn't have to hold your hand all day. Like thetrin said you should be dodging or blocking, if you don't utilize the tools then you're just another fool.

harsh dude :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Timing still feels awkward for blocking in this game and I'm never sure which ones are unblockable. The troll type things I can never seem to block even though none of their attacks do the glisten thing that unblockable ones do.

Not knowing when you're whip is going to give out when rappeling is really annoying too.

You are still early in the game. It took me a while to get it down as well but now I do it all the time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Unblockables always have a white twinkle on the edge of the weapon in question, and there's a little sound that goes with it.

You are still REALLY early on. Believe me. You'll get it. (Also, just start grabbing all the werewolves. You can pull them in with your whip too. They're a waste of time to fight).

Wait, your whip gives out when you're rappelling? That never happened to me (and I beat the game last night).

MrMephistoX

andymcc said:
i wouldn't say that i got frustrated with any of them, it's just a convention of this genre that i really despise. it bothers me in DMC, it bothers me in God of War and it bothers me here. i don't mind hunting for keys/fairies/runes or whatever, but shit like medeval pachinko and push the fucking mirrors irritates the shit out of me.

Different strokes I guess: environmental puzzles are among my favorites. Fetch quests irritate me to no end.

thetrin said:
Unblockables always have a white twinkle on the edge of the weapon in question, and there's a little sound that goes with it.

You are still REALLY early on. Believe me. You'll get it. (Also, just start grabbing all the werewolves. You can pull them in with your whip too. They're a waste of time to fight).

Wait, your whip gives out when you're rappelling? That never happened to me (and I beat the game last night).

Well not rapelling but climbing down. The beginning of the next part after you climb when you lower it will just give out if you go too far down which is annoying.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well not rapelling but climbing down. The beginning of the next part after you climb when you lower it will just give out if you go too far down which is annoying.

The whip doesn't give out, you hit the brambles/spikes at the bottom. That's a rare (one time, IIRC) occurance. Usually once you go as far as you can you have to press down and jump to drop off.

luka said:
The whip doesn't give out, you hit the brambles/spikes at the bottom. That's a rare (one time, IIRC) occurance. Usually once you go as far as you can you have to press down and jump to drop off.
You just see a bottomless pit, I don't see anything you could hit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MrMephistoX said:
Different strokes I guess: environmental puzzles are among my favorites. Fetch quests irritate me to no end.

Environmental puzzles CAN be okay, but because you usually can't see the whole puzzle without running back and forth sometimes, it gets annoying.

1stStrike

Banned
So, as someone that's never played Castlevania before, could I pick this game up and enjoy it/the story or would I have missed out on too much to be able to get into it?

If I do get it, it'll be for PS3.

Solune

LiK said:
harsh dude :lol

Eh. There are legitimate problems with the game, Save corruption, Framerate, Resembles LOTR TOO MUCH. I don't however think there's anything wrong with the combat except for the gripes that I listed before, and those aren't really problems it is just my preference. It's ok to think the combat isn't the best, I certainly don't think it is. I think action games combat peaked with DMC3 and Bayonetta. But when someone says dodging doesn't work, then that's completely false, otherwise how could you dodge unblockables then.

I'm sorry if I came off as a douche Zaraki, was kind of the spur of the moment so I apologize.

LiK

Solune said:
Eh. There are legitimate problems with the game, Save corruption, Framerate, Resembles LOTR TOO MUCH. I don't however think there's anything wrong with the combat except for the gripes that I listed before, and those aren't really problems it is just my preference. It's ok to think the combat isn't the best, I certainly don't think it is. I think action games combat peaked with DMC3 and Bayonetta. But when someone says dodging doesn't work, then that's completely false, otherwise how could you dodge unblockables then.

I'm sorry if I came off as a douche Zaraki, was kind of the spur of the moment so I apologize.

i agree with you. :)

Solune said:

Not that it doesn't work but sometimes when I dodge backwards the werewolves will still reach me. It just seems sloppy after playing other games. I've never had a problem with dodging or blocking in bayonetta or GOW and so it makes the way it is in this game frustrating. And even more frustrating because it has to do with how it was designed and not necessarily because it is a harder game. It may be more difficult to beat but not in a good way. Mapping dodge and block to the same button so you have to hit once or twice and then stop so you don't accidentally dodge instead of blocking. This is obviously all my opinion though.

Edit: Same goes with the spider, I just rolled backwards and died from him lunging at me. I roll to the side and then jump to where I'm going instead of where I was.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Not that it doesn't work but sometimes when I dodge backwards the werewolves will still reach me. It just seems sloppy after playing other games. I've never had a problem with dodging or blocking in bayonetta or GOW and so it makes the way it is in this game frustrating. And even more frustrating because it has to do with how it was designed and not necessarily because it is a harder game. It may be more difficult to beat but not in a good way. Mapping dodge and block to the same button so you have to hit once or twice and then stop so you don't accidentally dodge instead of blocking. This is obviously all my opinion though.

Edit: Same goes with the spider, I just rolled backwards and died from him lunging at me. I roll to the side and then jump to where I'm going instead of where I was.

Easy solution: roll to the side instead of backwards. Enemies can still hit you when you dodge the same way in Ninja Gaiden (hell guarding and rolling fuctions exactly the same) and I don't think anyone is going to bitch about that game.

Better solution: guard+counter more. Not only does it reward you with focus and orbs, but it's a lot more fun!

thetrin

1stStrike said:
So, as someone that's never played Castlevania before, could I pick this game up and enjoy it/the story or would I have missed out on too much to be able to get into it?

If I do get it, it'll be for PS3.

It's a complete reboot.

How did you never play Castlevania? Are you either a child or a new gamer?

luka said:
Easy solution: roll to the side instead of backwards. Enemies can still hit you when you dodge the same way in Ninja Gaiden (hell guarding and rolling fuctions exactly the same) and I don't think anyone is going to bitch about that game.

Better solution: guard+counter more. Not only does it reward you with focus and orbs, but it's a lot more fun!

It hits me still when I roll to the side also. I can't guard because all the leaping attacks are the ones that are unblockable.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It hits me still when I roll to the side also. I can't guard because all the leaping attacks are the ones that are unblockable.

You have to pay attention to their patterns. Most enemies only execute unblockables if you hit them when they're guarding, so if you see that, stop attacking. Honestly I'm not sure what real advice I can give you because I never had an issue with dodging. If you're having problems timing the guard/counters, press the button as soon as the enemies' attack animation starts. That's usually guaranteed to connect.

Remember to check the bestiary to find out what the enemies are weak against and use your subweapons for crowd control if you're getting surrounded.

Ledsen

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

You can roll to the side to avoid all attacks in the game except ground pounds. If you're getting hit while rolling you're doing it too early or too late.

LiK

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

are you really having this much trouble with the werewolves? i pray for you when you get further in the game. :(

Chiggs

Gold Member
LiK said:
are you really having this much trouble with the werewolves? i pray for you when you get further in the game. :(

Early on, the Greater Lycans gave me the hardest time. They were worse than the bosses, IMO. Then I realized I was really blowing hard at combat because I was mashing buttons and not paying attention to their patterns of attack.

Learn to block, learn to strike effectively, and don't get greedy. That's what's worked for me.

I'm not a badass at this game or anything. In fact, last night I had problems
getting past the Giant's hand in Chapter 4 because I thought I was expected to dodge it and not attack it.
:lol

d0c_zaius

Just wanted to say, Im at chapter 9 and the game is even more amazing than the last praise post I made.

Yes, it has faults but it is an amazing achievement for a small, newer studio.

LiK said:

It's only the unblockable moves, not necessarily werewolves. I get my meter like 90% filled and then get hit. That's what screws me over.

LiK

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's only the unblockable moves, not necessarily werewolves. I get my meter like 90% filled and then get hit. That's what screws me over.

oh, all enemies have the unblockable moves in some variation. roll away and use your whip's length to your advantage. godspeed.

Two trials left, and then to finish up the remaining stages I haven't completed on Paladin yet. But the library trial... I think that's going to be the roughest. >_<

jett

D-Member
Finally got the game today, I'm in Chapter II, about 3.5 hours in.

You know, so far, it's kinda there. Battle system hasn't opened up yet like I was hoping for, the light/dark mechanic is really not that interesting, and having to stop in the middle of battle to collect those orbs is annoying. The combos don't flow all that well, it's like a less polished God of War. A much less polished GOW. I'm playing on knight(hard) btw. Visually, the game took a nose dive after the demo area. Everything looks extremely bland, and the hideous image quality coupled with a truly worse-than-I-imagined framerate results in unpleasantness. I do not understand why does it run like crap. It also looks like the motion blur was super toned-down after the first couple of levels. And for god's sake patch some MLAA in this thing. Those jaggies are just the worst, and they are borderline ruining the game's graphics.

I'm really trying to love this game, but I don't. If things don't pick up soon I'll just end up selling the thing after I'm done with it. Guess I'll trade it for Vanquish.

LiK

jett said:
Finally got the game today, I'm in Chapter II, about 3.5 hours in.

You know, so far, it's kinda there. Battle system hasn't opened up yet like I was hoping for, the light/dark mechanic is really not that interesting, and having to stop in the middle of battle to collect those orbs is annoying. The combos don't flow all that well, it's like a less polished God of War. A much less polished GOW. I'm playing on knight(hard) btw. Visually, the game took a nose dive after the demo area. Everything looks extremely bland, and the hideous image quality coupled with a truly worse-than-I-imagined framerate results in unpleasantness. I do not understand why does it run like crap. It also looks like the motion blur was super toned-down after the first couple of levels. And for god's sake patch some MLAA in this thing. Those jaggies are just the worst, and they are borderline ruining the game's graphics.

I'm really trying to love this game, but I don't. If things don't pick up soon I'll just end up selling the thing after I'm done with it. Guess I'll trade it for Vanquish.

come back after Chapter 3! you will change your mind.

jett said:
Visually, the game took a nose dive after the demo area.

man, just, keep going. :lol

chapter 2 is like season 2 of Lost. as in, it's pretty good, but it's not indicative of what's to come. that analogy is based upon my own personal opinion of that show but whatever.

brandonh83 said:
Two trials left, and then to finish up the remaining stages I haven't completed on Paladin yet. But the library trial... I think that's going to be the roughest. >_<

What's the library trial? I just did the trial on the chapter 3 boss (no light magic) on Paladin and that was pretty challenging.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
iconoclast said:
What's the library trial? I just did the trial on the chapter 3 boss (no light magic) on Paladin and that was pretty challenging.

It's completing the mirror puzzle in a really strict time limit, 2:30 IIRC.

FUCK YES

Beat the library trial with TWO FUCKING SECONDS LEFT

My god, that was easily the hardest part of the whole game for me. I've already beaten all the harder bosses on Paladin difficulty.

Now to just clean up the rest of the levels on Paladin and the Platinum shall be mine!

and then I will lose sleep until I get the DLC.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there someway to tell when the werewolves are going to groundpound? It keeps killing me.

You're a disgrace to the Belmont family. Hang up your whip, go to sleep, and never wake up.

Come on man, is it that hard?

Top Bottom