• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
andymcc said:
they were still stupefying examples of lazy game design. the one you have to get
with the light from the statues
is one of the most heinous parts in a game in recent memory.

That was made so much worse by him never shutting the hell up.

Dascu

Creamium said:
I just can't make up my mind on which version to get. I was going to get it for PS3 but then I heard about the save corruptions. Then I read about the 360 version and apparently there's a recurring issue about the game freezing for a second every time you kill an enemy. Generally framerate seems to be better on PS3 too. Maybe my best bet is to get it on PS3 and backup after every play session.
I think this is in both versions.

Edit: Guess not!

Papercuts

I still have no idea what the slow down after a kill thing is about, that never happened to me in my playthrough(360). The only weird issue I had once was a huge frame drop for a few seconds during the intro cutscene for 1-2.

Papercuts said:
I still have no idea what the slow down after a kill thing is about, that never happened to me in my playthrough(360). The only weird issue I had once was a huge frame drop for a few seconds during the intro cutscene for 1-2.

Well, there's a level late in the game where there are a horde of zombie-like enemies, and on the 360 stream I was watching, when they did area-based attacks the game turned into a slideshow. I don't know about the rest of the game though. Doing this does not cause that to happen on the PS3 version.

Kaldea

I have the 360 version and I'm not seeing any issues. But then again, I haven't really looked into the PS3 version yet so it's possible I haven't seen the light. :lol

LiK

brandonh83 said:
Well, there's a level late in the game where there are a horde of zombie-like enemies, and on the 360 stream I was watching, when they did area-based attacks the game turned into a slideshow. I don't know about the rest of the game though. Doing this does not cause that to happen on the PS3 version.
Yea, slideshow happened to me. Looks like ill pick up the PS3 ver when its much cheaper.

Papercuts

brandonh83 said:

Ohh yeah, that stuttered for me when I used Exploding Quake and blew a bunch of them up at once. The rest of the game definitely wasn't like that.

LiK

Papercuts said:
Ohh yeah, that stuttered for me when I used Exploding Quake and blew a bunch of them up at once. The rest of the game definitely wasn't like that.
Happened to me with holy water. Pretty nuts.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Papercuts said:

God that made me want to smash my tv. Worst part of the game by far. Wasn't a terrible puzzle either, but that voice is just so GODDAMN ANNOYING.

Ricker

What`s the trick in chapter 7 where you have to sprint around the square to light the 4 corners while using Shadow Magic?? I can`t turn any of the corners properly or fast enough to have all 4 of them red? am I stuck there now because of this??...stupid double tap on the left analog...

LiK

Ricker said:
What`s the trick in chapter 7 where you have to sprint around the square to light the 4 corners while using Shadow Magic?? I can`t turn any of the corners properly or fast enough to have all 4 of them red? am I stuck there now because of this??...stupid double tap on the left analog...

it's
shadow magic dash

Teknoman

Just beat down the first Lord of Shadow. Man those end boss cutscene attacks are awesome...and i'm glad Gabriel actually acts human, and has to catch his breath after such a fight.

Also boss battles that have more than one phase are always great, especially when done right.

MMaRsu

LiK said:
it's
shadow magic dash

Damn strangely enough I'm stuck at the same puzzle haha thanks

Are the last couple of chapters extra long? How long would I have from that puzzle onwards?

Ricker

LiK said:
it's
shadow magic dash

I`m doing that but it`s still not fast enough???? I just go into shadow magic and dash? or is it something more....because there is no way I can make it...if I don`t bump into the first turn that stops me in my track,it`s the second turn that stops me and by then it`s too late...

bubnbob

Banned
Start on one square

Activate Shadow

Hold guard (a circle will pop around you)

Dash to the next square (hold guard still)

Dash to the next (tap the direction)

Done

LiK

Ricker said:
I`m doing that but it`s still not fast enough???? I just go into shadow magic and dash? or is it something more....because there is no way I can make it...if I don`t bump into the first turn that stops me in my track,it`s the second turn that stops me and by then it`s too late...

turn on shadow magic, hold left trigger to charge and move analog stick in direction of arrows. it should stay lit up.

MMaRsu said:
Damn strangely enough I'm stuck at the same puzzle haha thanks

Are the last couple of chapters extra long? How long would I have from that puzzle onwards?

you still have quite a journey my friend :)

LiK

andymcc said:
i'm of the opinion that 95% of this game's puzzles were terrible.

i dunno, i liked them all, i didn't get frustrated with any of them except one. so many other games have timed puzzles that were terrible but people still liked the games overall.

LaneDS

Papercuts said:

I disabled voice for that section because of how awful it was, but his laugh for whatever reason was a sound effect, and not a voice, and thus still audible and still annoying. Awful.

bubnbob

Banned
Is there any tip for the final boss:

The colored barriers? The only thing I can do is casually take my time because the window for hitting the barrier is a millimeter wide so you can't just run through them, and by the time I get there, he's back to fight.

This is the last trial I need to do, on Paladin, etc. for all achievements.

Ricker

bubnbob said:
Start on one square

Activate Shadow

Hold guard (a circle will pop around you)

Dash to the next square (hold guard still)

Dash to the next (tap the direction)

Done

LiK said:
turn on shadow magic, hold left trigger to charge and move analog stick in direction of arrows. it should stay lit up.

Ahhhh :p ok thanks,i`ll try that...

bubnbob said:
Is there any tip for the final boss:

The colored barriers? The only thing I can do is casually take my time because the window for hitting the barrier is a millimeter wide so you can't just run through them, and by the time I get there, he's back to fight.

This is the last trial I need to do, on Paladin, etc. for all achievements.

You just have to take your time. There's no real way to rush through them. Getting hit by them doesn't count against the trial though.

andymcc

Banned
Absoludacrous said:
I liked all the puzzles. Having two back to back in Ch 11 was kind of weird, but I never got frustrated with any of them.

i wouldn't say that i got frustrated with any of them, it's just a convention of this genre that i really despise. it bothers me in DMC, it bothers me in God of War and it bothers me here. i don't mind hunting for keys/fairies/runes or whatever, but shit like medeval pachinko and push the fucking mirrors irritates the shit out of me.

LiK

andymcc said:
i wouldn't say that i got frustrated with any of them, it's just a convention of this genre that i really despise. it bothers me in DMC, it bothers me in God of War and it bothers me here. i don't mind hunting for keys/fairies/runes or whatever, but shit like medeval pachinko and push the fucking mirrors irritates the shit out of me.

yup, that was the one puzzle that took me like an hour to figure out :lol

Glix

andymcc said:

I loved the pachinko puzzle and the battle chess.

I HATED the electric puzzle in the lab.

Ricker

bubnbob said:
It's cool, I got it. 1000 now

Holy crap,I don`t know how you guys do it hehe...beating this game on Paladin seems impossible to me lol...I brought it down to easy a few times already :lol

Grats man.

LaneDS

Absoludacrous said:
You just have to take your time. There's no real way to rush through them. Getting hit by them doesn't count against the trial though.

Really? I handed the controller to my roommate in frustration at that point and he just ran without stopping and swapped the colors on the fly. Worked every time.

Ricker said:
Holy crap,I don`t know how you guys do it hehe...beating this game on Paladin seems impossible to me lol...I brought it down to easy a few times already :lol

Grats man.
I heard, Once you have the two ultimate powers it is a cake walk.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
CaptYamato said:
I heard, Once you have the two ultimate powers it is a cake walk.

The Ultimate Powers are nice, but they eat your bar like crazy.

I'm really not liking the combat in this game at all. It's just plain frustrating. It's really annoying to try and block and other creatures lunging at you in a split second as you are slow as shit in your combos is stupid.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm really not liking the combat in this game at all. It's just plain frustrating. It's really annoying to try and block and other creatures lunging at you in a split second as you are slow as shit in your combos is stupid.

I don't think I ever used block except to parry. You should be dodging everything.

thetrin said:
I don't think I ever used block except to parry. You should be dodging everything.

No, you should be able to use the game mechanics. And dodging sucks balls too against werewolves because of how far they can jump.

And apparently one part in chapter 2 if you kill your mount too early because it doesn't prompt you at first, you have to keep falling to your death until you restart from checkpoint to get another mount. Great...

Edit: I'm just not feeling this game at all. The shitty you always keep the same health because we give you a shitty way to try and restore it god awful.

Peff

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And apparently one part in chapter 2 if you kill your mount too early because it doesn't prompt you at first, you have to keep falling to your death until you restart from checkpoint to get another mount. Great...

Just go back and another one respawns.

thetrin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No, you should be able to use the game mechanics. And dodging sucks balls too against werewolves because of how far they can jump.

Edit: I'm just not feeling this game at all. The shitty you always keep the same health because we give you a shitty way to try and restore it god awful.

Wait, you're actually fighting werewolves? Why aren't you just grabbing all of them? They die in one hit.

Light magic is a great way to gain back your health, especially because you gain back more the more damage you do. Pull out some especially harmful combos and you regain all your health before your light magic runs out.

Peff

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No, the part where they respawn you have to running jump on the mount to get to. You have to kill yourself.

The one where you have to climb the vines for the first time? You can go back even if there are long jump bridges. I'm not sure about the others, though, so maybe that's not it.

Solune

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Uh no man, you just suck at the combat straight up. And why do you need to start with full health? Why don't you man up a little, the game shouldn't have to hold your hand all day. Like thetrin said you should be dodging or blocking, if you don't utilize the tools then you're just another fool.

thetrin

Yeah, if it's the vine section with the warg, you can definitely jump all of those in a single bound.

Top Bottom