• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Scythesurge said:
All the impressions in this thread are really confusing to me, some make it sound like a great game while others make it sound not so great. The demo left me pretty unimpressed, but I'm still considering picking this up with the Kmart deal.

:( I thought other people were saying that it does feel like a Castlevania game. I'm so confused.
Unsurprisingly for a series that has gone through a lot of different styles, whether or not it feels like a Castlevania game seems to vary from person to person. You've got your "not at alls" like jett and I, your "definitelys" like brandon and other people who aren't important enough to remember, and everything in between.

Ricker

Finally cleared the Music Box section puzzle,worst part of the game by far,thank god it`s over(inside the box) ,the outside with the crows and all was cool.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Unsurprisingly for a series that has gone through a lot of different styles, whether or not it feels like a Castlevania game seems to vary from person to person. You've got your "not at alls" like jett and I, your "definitelys" like brandon and other people who aren't important enough to remember, and everything in between.
I guess I probably should have specified in that I only really care whether the gameplay feels like CV and not the story and stuff if that makes any difference. All I have to go by is the demo (which was not CV at all) and people saying stuff like "there is platforming later in the game."

Scythesurge said:
I guess I probably should have specified in that I only really care whether the gameplay feels like CV and not the story and stuff if that makes any difference. All I have to go by is the demo (which was not CV at all) and people saying stuff like "there is platforming later in the game."
There is platforming. It's not really the usual sort of Castlevania platforming, though. More Prince of Persia/Uncharted.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
jett said:
:lol Somewhat unrelated, but it can't be said enough how much of a bullshitter that Dave Cox guy is. "CV4 is my bible". There is nothing in this game that reminded me of CV4.

I don't know. Two things seem very CV4-ish to me: the constant chain whip swinging and grappling, and the journey through a variety of wilderness scenes, waterfalls, and mini-castles before entering vampire castle proper.

Ricker

Relix said:
Wtf at Chess :lol

I was surprised I actually won that on my first attempt,especially with the bad start I had hehe...and it`s cool that it unlocks so you can play at any time as well.

forrest

formerly nacire
Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm a "definitely" Loved the game and thought it was very Castlevania in spirit. Its as much catlevania as Metroid Prime was Metroid imo.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Go ahead and act like you don't remember me...
why don't you love me?

Air Zombie Meat said:
Going through the game on paladin now, I didn't really notice on normal but Cornells unblockables instantly hitting you before he's even swung is really annoying. Got to the last phase of the fight with no health and kept getting hit with it. Managed to do it eventually but it was driving me mad for a while.

Yeah, this bothered me too. The active frames on some of the enemies' attacks in this game are fucked up.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ricker said:
I was surprised I actually won that on my first attempt,especially with the bad start I had hehe...and it`s cool that it unlocks so you can play at any time as well.

Yeah I won the first time too. Thought I was gonna lose to be honest.

Just used my first Dark Crystal too, at the end of Chapter Six. One Knight and 4 Skeletons? Fuck that shit :lol

nacire said:
I'm a "definitely" Loved the game and thought it was very Castlevania in spirit. Its as much catlevania as Metroid Prime was Metroid imo.
That works for me, given my opinion of Metroid Prime.

CaptYamato said:
Go ahead and act like you don't remember me...
why don't you love me?
Ah, I remembered you, I just couldn't remember if you were "definitely" or "sorta".

Tokubetsu

Relix said:
Yeah I won the first time too. Thought I was gonna lose to be honest.

Just used my first Dark Crystal too, at the end of Chapter Six. One Knight and 4 Skeletons? Fuck that shit :lol

Fight isn't so bad. The knights are so slow you can pretty much completely ignore them if you run to the other end of the arena. Just gotta watch out for his AOE.

LiK

Yea, I won the chess my first time too. I fucked up early in the game so I won with one Necromancer left :lol

Honestly, I'm in the camp that think it feels VERY old school Castlevania in ways... starting with Chapter 3. Though I must say the first scene in the game with the werewolf howling with the moon in the background also screamed Castelvania to me for some reason. Little things and nods here and there. Love it. Yet yes, you will see varying opinions on the matter.

Hela

I really like it so far (3rd chapter), but if there's one thing I'd have to say about this game it'd be that it really made me remember and appreciate SotC.

LiK

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Honestly, I'm in the camp that things it feels VERY old school Castlevania... starting with Chapter 3. Little things and nods here and there. Love it. Yet yes, you will see varying opinions on the matter.

Hela said:
I really like it so far (3rd chapter), but if there's one thing I'd have to say about this game it'd be that it really made me remember and appreciate SotC.

you're in for a treat.

LiK said:
you're in for a treat.

I meant from Chapter 3 onwards its felt very Castlevania like, I'm on chapter 6 now! :D But fuck yeah! Def one of my fav games so far this year. Need to play more this weekend and complete it before my final analysis.

LiK

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I meant from Chapter 3 onwards its felt very Castlevania like, I'm on chapter 6 now! :D But fuck yeah! Def one of my fav games so far this year. Need to play more this weekend and complete it before my final analysis.

oh, original comment still stands. ;)

eXistor

The first two (big-ass) chapters notwithstanding, but from thereon in the game really gets going and it feels like classic Castlevania to me.

The game could have done with some serious editing level-wise, but on the whole I'm very satisfied with the game. Had they put in classic Castlevania music or at least Castlevania-like music, it would greatly enhance the mood. Not that the music is bad per se, but it's sort of...there, it doesn't really do anything. Videogames have finally gotten some color back into them, now it's time for decent melodies again.

LiK

eXistor said:
The first two (big-ass) chapters notwithstanding, but from thereon in the game really gets going and it feels like classic Castlevania to me.

The game could have done with some serious editing level-wise, but on the whole I'm very satisfied with the game. Had they put in classic Castlevania music or at least Castlevania-like music, it would greatly enhance the mood. Not that the music is bad per se, but it's sort of...there, it doesn't really do anything. Videogames have finally gotten some color back into them, now it's time for decent melodies again.

the fun thing is when you replay the game, you can always put in custom soundtracks. i shall be playing through Paladin with CV 20th anniversary OST. :D

jett

D-Member
eXistor said:

The soundtrack isn't gonna change...one piece has a slight nod to a tune from CV4, but it's almost like the cameo version of a musical theme.

zoukka

jett said:
The soundtrack isn't gonna change...one piece has a slight nod to a tune from CV4, but it's almost like the cameo version of a musical theme.

When did I hear good music in a AAA game again? Not in a while I guess :(

LiK said:
the fun thing is when you replay the game, you can always put in custom soundtracks. i shall be playing through Paladin with CV 20th anniversary OST. :D

Speaking of, does anyone have a list of the best classic Castlevania songs and where to find them. I totally want to rock some of these levels and bosses with said songs! :D

jett

D-Member
zoukka said:
When did I hear good music in a AAA game again? Not in a while I guess :(

Super-Mario-Galaxy-21.jpg

MrMephistoX

Lol just when I broke down and decided to get the game at retail after work today Gamefly ships it! Oh well, guess I'll save $17 and wait.

Chemo

I'm several hours into this. My impressions:

This game shits directly in the mouths of IGA's Castlevanias, but still has miles to go to even think about being a Castlevania game. (Translation: decent I guess, but lacking in both quality and CVitude.)

Teknoman

Mix up the direct attack heavy combo, with launches, grabs, the area combo circle chain, and you'll do great in battle. Also guillotine upgrade works wonders.

I dont really dodge all that much, aside from unblockables or to get distance from enemies.

Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm a "don't care".

I just want MS to remove the amateur mistakes for the inevitable sequel.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So....Need a 7-2 tip!

I am in 7-2, just heard about Frankestein. I am in that electric orb room. How do I change the orbs? it says punch the switch but nothing works

NeoUltima

Relix said:
So....Need a 7-2 tip!

I am in 7-2, just heard about Frankestein. I am in that electric orb room. How do I change the orbs? it says punch the switch but nothing works
L2+Triangle (Y if 360)

LiK

Relix said:
=P

Mini Boss down. Now... stuck once more in the electric field area. Can't find how to get out :lol
Goddamn, electric puzzle was so easy :lol one of my fave puzzles in the game. I was playing Layton at the same time. :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
LiK said:
Goddamn, electric puzzle was so easy :lol one of my fave puzzles in the game. I was playing Layton at the same time. :p

This will probably be the first I unlock solution. First two parts and a half were easy, now to get out... I have no clue :lol

jett

D-Member
Relix said:
This will probably be the first I unlock solution. First two parts and a half were easy, now to get out... I have no clue :lol

I also got stuck in the electric thing for a while. Unlocked the solution, didn't help at all! :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
jett said:
I also got stuck in the electric thing for a while. Unlocked the solution, didn't help at all! :lol

The platform. I just had to hop in the platform. Goddammit :lol

Haven't used solution yet! =P

I need help. I'm in the beginning when you fight the swamp monster and its defeated it tells me to press R2, i do. Then I grab him and then a circle comes up and then nothing happens and the monster grabs me and near kills me/kills me. What button am I missing?

forrest

formerly nacire
ChocolateCupcakes said:
I need help. I'm in the beginning when you fight the swamp monster and its defeated it tells me to press R2, i do. Then I grab him and then a circle comes up and then nothing happens and the monster grabs me and near kills me/kills me. What button am I missing?
Hit any button just after the two circles meet.

ChocolateCupcakes said:

Just press any button when the outer circle gets inside the the inner one.

Top Bottom