• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

LiK said:
I love that most of them didn't require specific buttons and was more about timing. More games should do that.

If devs absolutely must put QTE's in games, then sure. Like I said, to me they felt far easier in this game, though there were still a couple of instances where I didn't think a QTE was about to happen, and ended up getting caught off guard.

But like I said above, I'd rather simply watch an awesome cutscene play out without having to worry about when a random QTE is about to pop up.

To me it's distracting from the otherwise awesome action directing and that's not good.

Segata Sanshiro said:
This game also commits the cardinal QTE sin:
The last shot of the last boss is a QTE. That is absolutely the most unsatisfying way to end a game, and any designer that thinks that's the way to do things needs a good slap in the face.

Yep, I like to think that the classic way of depleting an enemy's health by beating it into submission is good enough. It's like, it doesn't matter how good you are and how hard you fought, bitch if you miss triangle you're redoing this shit.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The last shot of the last boss is a QTE. That is absolutely the most unsatisfying way to end a game, and any designer that thinks that's the way to do things needs a good slap in the face.

HATE THAT WITH ALL MY HEART!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
brandonh83 said:
Yep, I like to think that the classic way of depleting an enemy's health by beating it into submission is good enough. It's like, it doesn't matter how good you are and how hard you fought, bitch if you miss triangle you're redoing this shit.

50plk.jpg

It takes ownership of the battle away from players. If the combat system is sufficiently deep (and it is here), then everyone who plays can have their own cool story about how they won a battle. With QTEs, you've taken that ownership away, and everyone has the same story for the way they won. It's not an obvious thing, but I think it's a lot of why I don't like that particular way of going about things.

though at least it's not as bad as Bionic Commando 09 which does the ultimate finishing QTE asshole move of having the ENTIRE last boss fight being a QTE... what a bonerkill that was.

Having any button work for the circle-in-circle QTEs was a good idea, though. Not as good as just getting rid of them, though.

Nemesis_

So, err, I just received my Asia version in the mail (finally).

And I noticed it says on the back that this game is Kinect compatible, but the sensor is sold separately.

????

I'm pro QTEs when done right, as in they're just finishing moves that look more badass.
If the option is say hypothetically hit triangle and square a couple more times to combo the boss to death or hit circle to drive its head into giant broken mast on a sinking ship, I choose the latter.

I also 100% agree that missing the strict timing on some of them and having to repeat the sequence is incredibly annoying, but I have good reactions so i'm fine.

Absolutely pathetic...I was on the final boss in this game, and I quit...when I tried to load it up later, there is no save, it just gives me the option to start a new campaign...I finished with this rubbish, I'll trade it in next time I have the opportunity...there is a lot of minor problems with this game, but this one certainly isn't...never happened to me before in any game...I'm certainly not going to play through the campaign again...I'll just watch the ending on youtube... Its a pity, because I was enjoying the game, but something like this is pretty unforgiveable from a Q & A perspective, and certainly questions my interest in anything else they might produce...

nelsonroyale said:
Absolutely pathetic...I was on the final boss in this game, and I quit...when I tried to load it up later, there is no save, it just gives me the option to start a new campaign...I finished with this rubbish, I'll trade it in next time I have the opportunity...there is a lot of minor problems with this game, but this one certainly isn't...never happened to me before in any game...I'm certainly not going to play through the campaign again...I'll just watch the ending on youtube... Its a pity, because I was enjoying the game, but something like this is pretty unforgiveable from a Q & A perspective, and certainly questions my interest in anything else they might produce...
Yeah, this if this happens to me, it's definitely going to be a deal breaker. The game will immediately go in the shit bin. (If it happens. It hasn't yet.)

Segata Sanshiro said:
It takes ownership of the battle away from players. If the combat system is sufficiently deep (and it is here), then everyone who plays can have their own cool story about how they won a battle. With QTEs, you've taken that ownership away, and everyone has the same story for the way they won. It's not an obvious thing, but I think it's a lot of why I don't like that particular way of going about things.

nailed. says it all...

Valcryst

Neo Member
Segata Sanshiro said:

That's an Interesting point!
I see it slightly different; in Castlevania you actually win battles with skills, the QTEs are in the CG sequences, and instead of watching them "passively" (like in many other games) you interact with them and you still can fail.
If they were in-game I'd agree with you!

Valcryst said:
That's an Interesting point!
I see it slightly different; in Castlevania you actually win battles with skills, the QTEs are in the CG sequences, and instead of watching them "passively" (like in many other games) you interact with them and you still can fail.
If they were in-game I'd agree with you!
Some of them are in-game. I don't feel QTEs are a good way of interacting with the player regardless. They aren't a skill you develop over the course of a game. Pushing A to kill the end boss takes no more ability or experience than pushing A to kill a regular enemy. It's a cheap "gotcha" that at best wastes the player's time and at worst leaves the player feeling like they were cheated out of the part that actually took skill, because they have to repeat it for not being psychic during cut-scenes.

Wonder if anyone who is at the final battle on ps3 could upload their save file...I would still prefer to complete the game, rather than youtube the ending, if I can...:lol

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Segata Sanshiro said:
QTEs are just the developer admitting they couldn't figure out how to let you do something with actual gameplay, so they play a little movie and you press a button. It's a crutch and frankly this game's combat is good enough that they don't need it. Throwing QTEs into cinemas is just as bad. It's not adding any actual gameplay, it's just forcing you to sit waiting for a possible button prompt instead of enjoying the cutscene. Even in the best implementations, it's wearing very, very thin, and this game isn't anywhere near the best implementation.

This and everything else you state about QTEs = i agree x 100.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Some of them are in-game. I don't feel QTEs are a good way of interacting with the player regardless. They aren't a skill you develop over the course of a game. Pushing A to kill the end boss takes no more ability or experience than pushing A to kill a regular enemy. It's a cheap "gotcha" that at best wastes the player's time and at worst leaves the player feeling like they were cheated out of the part that actually took skill, because they have to repeat it for not being psychic during cut-scenes.

As for the in game QTEs to kill bosses I totally agree with you! ;)

@ Princess Skittles - I've beaten the game in 19 hours (!) and I still were at 56%. I took all the time to admire the stunning environments.
As for the achievements, they're mostly (slight spoiler)
gather all * gems, complete all trials, unlock all artworks, finish chapters on 4 difficulty levels, get 110%
...but the trials themselves are actually good "in game achievements" that require a lot of skills!

Zzoram said:
What's this save issue? Does it affect both versions of the game?
PS3 version only. Both versions sometimes crash, but only the PS3 version has a corrupt save file issue. There's apparently a patch on the way. Recommend backing up your save file to a USB stick before/after each play session until then.

Hela

I'm really impressed how engaging and intense the boss fights are, I haven't had some much fun with them in a while.
I'm about a half way in and it's shaping to be my second favorite game of the year, just after ME2.

RavenFox

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Wonder if anyone who is at the final battle on ps3 could upload their save file...I would still prefer to complete the game, rather than youtube the ending, if I can...:lol
PM me your email and I'll send you a zip file with mine.

JohngPR

Wow, the puzzle at the end of Chapter V of Castlevania made me feel really stupid. LOL It almost feels that way by design. Well played Mercury Steam.

RavenFox

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Thanks alot man!
Not a problem. I'm at work so later tonight when I get home.

edit:Holy Moly I just realized I have my backup for the last chapter with me at work. If you want the complete end I can still get that to you later tonight.

Segata Sanshiro said:
we got people busting nuts

we got people double teaming giant spiders

this is the most erotic thread on gaf in quite some time.

Giant Spiders have plenty to go around. :lol

Can't stand eight legged freaks(the bigger ones).

Same goes for the facehugger in alien... That thing is stuff of nightmares for me.

RavenFox said:
Not a problem. I'm at work so later tonight when I get home.

edit:Holy Moly I just realized I have my backup for the last chapter with me at work. If you want the complete end I can still get that to you later tonight.

Nah, that will do man! The complete chapter is just the last fight, am I right?

Top Bottom