• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Vrakanox

Host Samurai said:
I think it would be pretty cool if the sequel started out with linear levels with branching paths like Rondo with different bosses at the end of each set path. The game would be taking the Rondo approach until you reach the castle. When you reach the castle the game would shift into more of a Metrovania/Batman AA approach. It would be a cool way to change the pace of the game. And when you beat the game the castle should turn upside down like SotN. It will never happen but I can dream.

That sounds awesome. Although I'm not sure about the inverted castle. I would rather descend into the abyss for the final confrontation.

RavenFox

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Be kind of cool if the DLC let you play as Zobek while Gabriel narrates a bunch of out of character shit about *him* that isn't happening on screen.

"So, Zobek has reached the Palace of Glistening Gold and has decided to touch little boys in their bathing suit areas. This was unforeseen. His lust for small children is clearly insatiable."
I really disliked Zobek from the beginning and I knew he was a backstabbing bitch early on.
Then he killed that witch and it pissed me off even more. Don't ask why it just did. I was robbed at the end since they didn't allow me to lash the very soul out of his skin.

jett said:
It's really not that hard. It's a shame enemies and bosses don't gain new patterns on higher difficulties, once you figure them out they're cake.

yeah it was pretty easy the second time i tried the fight. the patterns were really simple and i didn't notice them on my first try. i'm gonna go ahead and blame my lack of situational awareness on fatigue (been playing for 6 hrs or so).

anyways i thought the game was pretty good overall but the ending...

I quite enjoyed the game overall, definitely a game I could come back to later down the track and just replay the whole experience.

Also, having played Jericho it was impressive to see how far Mercury Steam has come as a developer. However, I do tend to agree there were a number of small faults that really do detract from the experience, but nonetheless a great first entrant into the genre. Looking forward to what comes next.

BluWacky

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm terrible at block-countering. Really really terrible. It just seems like enemies attack fast and randomly and i've always been bad at block-counters in games, this one just wins outright. I roll around like crazy to balance my lack of blocking.

Me too. I'm not very far into the game as yet but I find that enemies have a bit of a habit of blurring into the backgrounds as they're all the same colour (and everything's so shiny). I tend to lose track of them so I can't block very easily because I can't even see them! I'm normally okay at blocking (didn't have many problems with God of War for instance) but I'm stumbling quite heavily on these, which makes building up the focus meter very tedious.

I don't tend to have a problem with the mini bosses in the same way, just the more regular enemies.

Story. Is there a story? There is a story right? It just feels like i'm going to random environments while patrick stewart tells me that there is a story going on.

I found the first level VERY confusing. If it had just launched you into the game without the narration I think it would have worked better, but as it was Patrick Stewart starts talking about someone you haven't even met and a situation you don't even know about (it's about four levels in you discover that there's something wrong with the world and that there's a reason you're even DOING something!) which I don't think worked very well. That aside for an action game I don't think it's doing too badly so far, but as I say I'm still very early on in the game (Chapter 2 or so).

Ledsen

BluWacky said:
Me too. I'm not very far into the game as yet but I find that enemies have a bit of a habit of blurring into the backgrounds as they're all the same colour (and everything's so shiny). I tend to lose track of them so I can't block very easily because I can't even see them! I'm normally okay at blocking (didn't have many problems with God of War for instance) but I'm stumbling quite heavily on these, which makes building up the focus meter very tedious.

I don't tend to have a problem with the mini bosses in the same way, just the more regular enemies.

I found the first level VERY confusing. If it had just launched you into the game without the narration I think it would have worked better, but as it was Patrick Stewart starts talking about someone you haven't even met and a situation you don't even know about (it's about four levels in you discover that there's something wrong with the world and that there's a reason you're even DOING something!) which I don't think worked very well. That aside for an action game I don't think it's doing too badly so far, but as I say I'm still very early on in the game (Chapter 2 or so).

Go into the "extras" menu and turn on enemy health bars and damage indicators.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
jett said:
It's really not that hard. It's a shame enemies and bosses don't gain new patterns on higher difficulties, once you figure them out they're cake.
I agree that their pattern can be memorized but they could have been more distinctive. Also, I don't know if it's the framerate, timing or what but it seems like the enemies strike a lot faster than you can block. Controls with a quicker response would have made it a lot more fun imo considering they reward you for it.

Host Samurai said:
I think it would be pretty cool if the sequel started out with linear levels with branching paths like Rondo with different bosses at the end of each set path. The game would be taking the Rondo approach until you reach the castle. When you reach the castle the game would shift into more of a Metrovania/Batman AA approach. It would be a cool way to change the pace of the game. And when you beat the game the castle should turn upside down like SotN. It will never happen but I can dream.
What's cool about this idea is that you could be completely leveled up by the time you reach the castle. It sucks once you build up your character games end so quickly. Exploring in the castle could reward you exploratory items and real bonuses like unlocking alternate characters or suits.

jett

D-Member
ChocolateCupcakes said:
I cant bring myself past the spider part right now...Is it a part I can just button mash through with my eyes closed/squinted?

grow a pair, jesus

if you're unable to do that, you'll have to return the game

you actually end up riding giant spiders multiple times through the game

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I cant bring myself past the spider part right now...Is it a part I can just button mash through with my eyes closed/squinted?
Seriously? It's a video game. The spiders are not going to jump out at you.

jett said:
grow a pair, jesus

if you're enable to do that, you'll have to return the game

you actually end up riding giant spiders multiple times through the game

Fuck me, are you serious? Dammit. Not possible for me to grow a pair and I just really dont like spiders.

I'm going to have to blast some music for this then.

Ledsen said:
PS3 bug that sometimes erases your entire save file.
The hell. Is there a fix on the way? I mean, have MercurySteam acknowledged it and said they're working on it? I want to get the game, but I'm not about to backup my saves each time I play.

Ricker

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Fuck me, are you serious? Dammit. Not possible for me to grow a pair and I just really dont like spiders.

I'm going to have to blast some music for this then.

Right after the first Spider room,there`s another one that`s even harder but you can skip that fight alltogether if you catch that higlighted ledge...just saying in case that`s where you are stuck...this is when I considered bringing the game down to easy and did later on in chapter 4 hehe...

BeeDog

My copy FINALLY arrived today, and I've been playing for a bit (at the beginning of chapter 2). Pretty good stuff so far, but a little bit too linear with way too many narrow passages. I hope the game opens up later on. And the end boss of chapter 1 was shit.

MrMephistoX

Ledsen said:
I'd say Castlevanias combat is far superior to GoW's.

Stripper13 said:
Without a doubt.

Castlevania LoS is the closest I've experienced to NG/Bayonetta/DMC levels of combat in any of these types of action adventure games. It retains the scale and exploration/puzzle elements of GoW (and by association, Dante's Inferno etc) but all the elements of the battle system really shine. It's not often you find a game that has a fantastic group/multi enemy battle system that still works as well, if not better in intense 1v1 battles (add to that a smooth and organic battle system vs Titans) and I really have to compliment Mercury Steam's efforts over and above the rest of the great work they've done.

I concur. The combat system is a great hybrid of the western GOW style of action combat and the eastern style of NG, DMC, and Bayonetta. So what if it rips off certain gameplay elements from other titles? I'd rather play something like this than certain FPS's with story as it's only defining characteristic.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
WickedLaharl said:
final boss is pissing me off. i know what to do but i'm failing pretty hard on my execution

Took me like three times to get through that part.
Easiest way is to try to not cross the circles, i.e., as they move, move with the circle you're in. That will minimize the number of times you need to switch magic.
Hated that part so much.

WickedLaharl said:
final boss is pissing me off. i know what to do but i'm failing pretty hard on my execution

The final boss is a cakewalk.
He even had the decency to heal Gabriel for using basic logic. I'm not even joking.

Fimbulvetr said:
He even had the decency to heal Gabriel for using basic logic. I'm not even joking.

I thought the game was designed so you can beat him on the first try. Its literally impossible to die on him.

RavenFox

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Yup. He makes it very hard for you to die fighting him. Most of the fight I had a full bar.

I for one am surprised, Mike and Jerry like Lords of Shadow.

1055341909_MK3JR-L.jpg

And yet they couldn't be arsed to come up with an actual decent comic for it, instead opting for a generic punchline that could be inserted in any game. Tsk tsk, Tycho.

Segata Sanshiro said:
And yet they couldn't be arsed to come up with an actual decent comic for it, instead opting for a generic punchline that could be inserted in any game. Tsk tsk, Tycho.

I was hoping for something involving patrick steward. oh well.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent order for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collectors Edition (Game Exclusive)

Unfortunately the release date has now changed to 29th October"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RavenFox

Banned
Noisepurge said:
"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent order for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collectors Edition (Game Exclusive)

Unfortunately the release date has now changed to 29th October"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
lol wtf? What's with that delay?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am playing this on the hardest setting that you can play on a first playthrough and I love that this game does not hold your hand as much as others. I finished off Chapter 4 last night and felt great that I have yet to consult a strategy guide despite being stuck a few times. Really makes me feel a bit nostalgic.

As for Chapter 4, I have a question about the story:
What was the purpose of me fighting the Crow/Raven Queen? I thought I would gain some sort of flying ability by defeating her but I could not see anything added to my abilities as I was starting Chapter 5. If I will find out more later, don't tell me what happens, just confirm that the fight with her has significance.

jett

D-Member
DenogginizerOS said:
I am playing this on the hardest setting that you can play on a first playthrough and I love that this game does not hold your hand as much as others. I finished off Chapter 4 last night and felt great that I have yet to consult a strategy guide despite being stuck a few times. Really makes me feel a bit nostalgic.

What was the purpose of me fighting the Crow/Raven Queen? I thought I would gain some sort of flying ability by defeating her but I could not see anything added to my abilities as I was starting Chapter 5. If I will find out more later, don't tell me what happens, just confirm that the fight with her has significance.

For the lulz. I think her castle was just in the path to another, more important location. So nope, no signficance at all. Poor Crow Witch wasn't even bothering anyone.

DenogginizerOS said:

Honestly that was one of my favorite parts of the game, when it comes down to atmosphere, art direction, level design, and music. The seemingly empty, beautiful spire with the Castlevania IV remix was pretty incredible IMO.

DenogginizerOS

brandonh83 said:
Honestly that was one of my favorite parts of the game, when it comes down to atmosphere, art direction, level design, and music. The seemingly empty, beautiful spire with the Castlevania IV remix was pretty incredible IMO.
I loved it as well. Like Uncharted 1 and 2, my wife enjoys watching me play this game and she and I both loved the atmosphere. The battle was pretty easy compared to the torture that was the end of Chapter 3, but yes, very satisfying. I just wish I got something other than good gameplay out of the level.

jett said:
For the lulz. I think her castle was just in the path to another, more important location. So nope, no signficance at all. Poor Crow Witch wasn't even bothering anyone.

I thought the big bird says he can't take you any further due to some curse or something. Figured the crow witch needed to be beaten to progress basically was what big bird man was saying.

DenogginizerOS said:
I loved it as well. Like Uncharted 1 and 2, my wife enjoys watching me play this game and she and I both loved the atmosphere. The battle was pretty easy compared to the torture that was the end of Chapter 3, but yes, very satisfying. I just wish I got something other than good gameplay out of the level.

Eh, it's just part of the routine, I think it's cool running across old fortresses and shit in games. Story-wise it was kind of random, no doubt, but to me that's like asking why Simon Belmont went through a random underground cavern in Super Castlevania IV. It's just part of the path. I'd take more environments like that over plot logic in a game like this any day. :p

jett

D-Member
brandonh83 said:

It also runs at a very high framerate the whole way through. That really helps in solidifying it as one of my favorite chapters. :p

Speaking of which, I do not understand why some areas run so smooth and others so bad, even with similar graphical detail. I really don't get it.

jett said:
Speaking of which, I do not understand why some areas run so smooth and others so bad, even with similar graphical detail. I really don't get it.

I know, it's bizarre. Sometimes the framerate for me is smooth for hours of playtime and I'm thinking yeah shove it Amir0x but then I notice that it's low again and I'm like I'm sorry Ami

but yeah that part definitely ran great. it should have been the demo area.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
jett said:
It also runs at a very high framerate the whole way through. That really helps in solidifying it as one of my favorite chapters. :p

Chapter XI, with its
desert environment and tons of platforming
, helped me see how much better other parts of the game would feel with a good framerate.

That chapter ran very smooth due to not requiring some of the murderous effects the various misty castles and forests do, and the platforming felt a lot better for it.

Honestly, I think perhaps Mercurysteam should not have forced v-synch in this game's case, if that would have helped with frame budget problems. It mostly uses a fixed camera that scrolls in a single direction. Would 90% of the scenes really suffer from a lot of screen tearing?

I know I'd rather take a little tearing and have it run at a locked 30fps, after playing Chapter XI.

I haven't read every page but a good 100+.
Could have sworn I saw people say that once you download the 2 discs to the 360 harddrive and you are playing disc 2 you no longer have to switch back discs.
I decide to try and go back to chapter 1 to find something and it tells me to switch discs. I say fuck it I won't go back but there is no option to cancel your request to go back to chapter 1 on disc 1. I have to go back to the dashboard to get out of that screen.
What horrible design.
Oh well the game is awesome.:D

DenogginizerOS

I feel very fortunate to not once through the entire first 4 chapters and part of 5 think to myself that this game has a framerate problem. I know this has been discussed a lot, but I do hope people who have held out on buying it (PS3 version) will consider it. This is shaping up to be my GOTY so far.

jett

D-Member
Kaijima said:
Chapter XI, with its desert environment and tons of platforming, helped me see how much better other parts of the game would feel with a good framerate.

That chapter ran very smooth due to not requiring some of the murderous effects the various misty castles and forests do, and the platforming felt a lot better for it.

Honestly, I think perhaps Mercurysteam should not have forced v-synch in this game's case, if that would have helped with frame budget problems. It mostly uses a fixed camera that scrolls in a single direction. Would 90% of the scenes really suffer from a lot of screen tearing?

I know I'd rather take a little tearing and have it run at a locked 30fps, after playing Chapter XI.

Fuck me are you crazy? If this game had screen tearing the framerate problem would be magnified 200%.

The camera is also always shaking btw. All the time. I don't like it to be honest, but that's another topic.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
brandonh83 said:

Totally agree. I'm on disc 2 now and the game really has picked up a great deal.

Chapters 1 - 3 were fucking agonizing. After that, consistently strong quality. Almost like two entirely different games.

Hela

I've just finished the game... wow, just wow at the ending.
Sure LoS has it's faults (dodge and block on the same button when the left stick does nothing, what the fuck?; chupacabra parts were really unnecessary; camera sometimes made it hard to fight when the enemy was off the screen), but it has really grabbed me like nothing since ME2 this year.

I'm loving this game, but yeah, the camera definitely is shaky (just leave the game still sometimes and you'll notice shaking) and the framerate and camera transitions seem wildly inconsistent. That said, it's a fantastic game so far and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Solune

Hela said:
I've just finished the game... wow, just wow at the ending.
Sure LoS has it's faults (dodge and block on the same button when the left stick does nothing, what the fuck?; chupacabra parts were really unnecessary; camera sometimes made it hard to fight when the enemy was off the screen), but it has really grabbed me like nothing since ME2 this year.

Looking back on it Chupacabra parts are REALLY annoying and they serve no purpose but to annoy the hell out of you. There's that one chapter where you have to kill enemies without your relics but.. they could have come up with some easier to disable your relics temporarily or some shit. And they could have done without the fog, traversing in the swamp and Titan's graveyard is so unnecessary.

Solune said:
Looking back on it Chupacabra parts are REALLY annoying and they serve no purpose but to annoy the hell out of you. There's that one chapter where you have to kill enemies without your relics but.. they could have come up with some easier to disable your relics temporarily or some shit. And they could have done without the fog, traversing in the swamp and Titan's graveyard is so unnecessary.

I was disappointed the last chupacabra part didn't pay off. Like maybe with Gabriel gouging its eyes out and using it as a bowling ball.

Maffis

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I was disappointed the last chupacabra part didn't pay off. Like maybe with Gabriel gouging its eyes out and using it as a bowling ball.

I was hoping for that too, especially after that scroll that said he wanted to kill it dead for good. Well, too bad :(

so I have the PS3 version- almost done with Ch.IX

Should I...errrmmm... hold off for a while? All of this 'corrupt save file' stuff is freaking me out more than the pepperoni/sausage hybrid nipples on that purple-crystal demon-summon! :(

jett

D-Member
TheJollyCorner said:
so I have the PS3 version- almost done with Ch.IX

Should I...errrmmm... hold off for a while? All of this 'corrupt save file' stuff is freaking me out more than the pepperoni/sausage hybrid nipples on that purple-crystal demon-summon! :(

Copy your save file to a usb stick.

TheJollyCorner said:

Just make a backup save if you can and continue on. I didn't run into the problem myself, but it may be wise.

Top Bottom