• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Just finished the game. I'll be reading through the thread itself while I write this, so forgive me if things sound familiar.

Lords of Shadow is a game that, in every facet of its story, insists on showing the player the power of dualities. Life and death, light and dark, Heaven and Hell. Perhaps unintended, though, is how the game mechanics and design exemplify this as well.

The game is bad, then it isn't, then it's bad again, then fine.

The camera works fine, then it doesn't, and gets you killed.

The platforming is serviceable, until it's not, and prevents you from getting to parts of the game that are not frustrating.

The battle system is fun, until it becomes clear it offers you nothing beyond the original few hours. Then it's up to the enemies, who are hit and miss at best.

The game is stunning with 60 FPS teases, which show a stark comparison to the dodgy framerate of the rest of the game.

But, despite this, I finished the game. If you asked me now, I couldn't properly tell you why, I can only really answer in vagaries. I think, and this is a credit to the game, that it was always on the cusp of something better. There are flashes of brilliance, usually but not limited to environmental design, but some boss fights and even regular levels showed inspiration that isn't seen very often in action games like this.

And that might be what makes this game such a disappointment. It feels like those moments are few and far between and the rest of the game is packed with so much filler that I was honestly shocked someone did not reign the developers in. If their goal was to create a long game, something that stands apart from Devil May Cry and Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden on the back of length and value, then they succeeded. The game is plenty long. If their goal was to do that and also pace it well, then they have failed in ways that I don't even have words for.

If I were trying to nail down what one complaint I would levy against the game, were I only allotted one, the aforementioned filler would be forefront in my mind. It's like eating a huge, great looking sandwich and taking a big bite, only to find out most of it is styrofoam. But man, that sauce almost makes that styrofoam taste good.

The filler ultimately gives rise to many of the game's problems. I tired of Gabriel's fighting style after a while and was made acutely aware of why the other modern action games give you multiple weapons to play around with. It's not enough to have a solid base mechanic, not over 20 hours of fighting enemies the same basic way.

Without the filler, we wouldn't have to be exposed to some of the game's more egregious sins of platforming. Earlier in the thread, I expressed discontent with the Clocktower, a level where you go in to a falling death animation by getting too close to a gear. Were the platforming left simple to getting from battle to battle and not, as it seems, a focal point for a level to pad for space.

But death isn't the worst thing in Castlevania, as the game does checkpoint generously and intelligently. Except when it doesn't. More than once I have been stymied by getting stuck in fights with enclosed spaces and dying only to have the checkpoint return me to minutes before. So I have to go out of my way to collect a scroll again, to grab those holy waters again, to jump back to the place where I insert the key and then use the new path to make another jump and then die again because I'm out of magic and the camera angles suck. Really, you couldn't just checkpoint me after I put the key in?

If you're like me, then you just felt a shiver run up your spine when I mentioned the camera. It is...competent. Usually. I have nothing against a fixed camera, I feel like it can be properly used to provide cinematic angles and still facilitate the gameplay without hindering it. Lords of Shadow misses the mark on the last part. Fairly often, I felt like the camera was fighting against me, which is more the worry when there are also swordmasters fighting against me. Sometimes it would be out too far, sometimes it would obscure views (in Carmilla's castle, a dead brotherhood corpse that reveals a puzzle setup is nearly impossible to see with the way the camera is framed), one time it literally zoomed out of the room when I got too close to the wall and I could only see myself fight through the window. And here again, Lords of Shadow teaches me something I didn't know. Fixed camera can be good, but you need people with experience and talent deciding on how it works or the whole thing just falls apart. Tokyo EAD I'd trust with it, Mercury Steam I wouldn't.

Then there's the writing. I don't look for oscar-quality in my video games, but if you're going to attempt it, at least try and make it good. By the end of the game, I found Zebak's journal entries hilarious and the dialogue embarrassing. Embarrassing for the developers, embarrassing for the voice actors (poor Patrick Stewart, you can actually hear him struggling to take it seriously), embarrassing for me sitting there watching it. I don't buy that the game is as tongue-in-cheek as other Castlevania games, because if it is, it does that badly, too.

As long as I'm picking on things, I want to mention the music. The soundtrack is great. Like, I individually like almost every song. The problem (and there is a problem) comes from a lot of it being incredibly inappropriate. Angelic choirs when just standing around, Lord of the Rings-esque swells when you're repeatedly dying on a stupid platform. The soundtrack is well made, but it doesn't fit the game.

There are so many more things I can, and want to, mention about this game, but at a certain point it just feels like I'm beating up on it (though this is not to say I won't talk about them later).

I do want to address one thing for full disclosure, but I want to make sure you, being whoever has made it this far, understand that it is not why I am disappointed in this game, it is only one of many disappointing asides.

I knew this was not going to be a traditional Castlevania game, but I am still left sore by how few of the buttons it hit for me in that area. I didn't need it to be SotN in 3D - in fact, such a thing sounds honestly objectionable. But the story left me wanting the lighthearted tropes of previous games, the music left me missing the soundtracks I've come to expect, the platforming really made me miss games that aren't bad at it.

Lords of Shadow is...a good game. At least enough of the time to make it through. But it's not great. It is the consequence of putting a big budget behind a lack of game design talent or experience or both. Maybe a sequel would fair better, maybe it wouldn't. But even though I say this is a good game, make no mistake, I still consider it one of the bigger disappointments this generation.

Mercury Steam played the greatest role in this story. I hope they do better next time.

Nice write-up. I agree with a majority, if not all of your points, however I had the luxury of playing it without the negatives really affecting my experience.

Creamium said:
Some of the last stages were dreadful though. Scarecrow level = the pits. This game was just way too long, filled with levels that should've been cut.

It's funny you say that. I thought that level was the best one. I loved the castle too, but there was something about the scarecrow level I really liked. Although the music box level that followed... bleh.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
brandonh83 said:
Nice write-up. I agree with a majority, if not all of your points, however I had the luxury of playing it without the negatives really affecting my experience.

To what do you attribute your resilient positivity?

Ledsen said:
Yeah well, when most people say "creative" they include artistic talent, which this team has more of than most others this generation. And relegating visual design to "screensavers" is pretty dumb.

The visual art is just one of many facets of creativity in game design, and I think he's right to say that overall the game was pretty uncreative. The levels were far more beautiful than they were interesting.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
brandonh83 said:
sorry? is it strange to acknowledge problems without them really hurting your own personal experience? is that unheard of?

I understand that possibility perfectly well, but he listed A LOT of problems, many fundamental, so it's kind of strange that you were not at all affected by them despite recognizing their existence. I was curious what it was that kept your experience so positive, and I still am.

Ledsen

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I understand that possibility perfectly well, but he listed A LOT of problems, many fundamental, so it's kind of strange that you were not at all affected by them despite recognizing their existence. I was curious what it was that kept your experience so positive, and I still am.

It's not that strange, he simply feels that the positives are so amazing that the negatives become a small annoyance instead of a game-breaker. It's the same way I feel about Far Cry 2, which is one of my favourite games ever.

Does the framerate become significantly worse after chapter 6? That's where I am right now and the frame rate has been pretty great. The only real dips I've noticed have been in cutscenes. I'm constantly impressed by how the game looks. It has to be one of the most impressive titles I've played. I don't get the complaints about the image quality. It looks really god and the colors are really sharp.

Some of the platforming is a bit strange. When I jump it never feels right and I always feel like I'm going to fall. Other then that I honestly haven't had much problems. I've actually enjoyed the platforming. I really like exploring the levels and it helps that they look great.

As for the combat. Well yeah I see the problem of it becoming pretty tired. The thing is honestly, what most people find tiring I'm fine with. I'm a type of person that is pretty much happy eating the same thing for a long time. Basically, when I find something I like, I like doing it for a long time. I never really use any other weapon in God of War or any action game. I always stay with what I'm comfortable with. So I really like the combat. It's much better then GoW. GoW just feels like DW to me and is just me mashing x for the blades to swing. In this I'm dodging a lot, I'm watching patterns, it's just fun. I like it.

So basically, so far I really like it. It's not perfect, but I'm really enjoying the game.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Difficult to explain. Lesden is closest to hitting the nail on the head though.

For me, many games that I love to death have problems that I acknowledge. The earlier Resident Evils have shitty controls. Silent Hill has terrible gameplay, period. But I still think they're amazing games and those problems don't personally affect me at all, but I understand how they could affect someone else.

I hate plenty of things.

I just don't take Star Wars seriously. At all. I know I'm watching a crazy ass sci-fi SFX action film. It's cool.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Finished this tonight. So, how about that ending? Could have been incredible, if only the events that led to that moment had anything to do with one another. It's like they just decided to take the ending of
Interview With a Vampire
in cram it into their game without any regard to the story they were telling. Strange.

Finished it on the weekend :D

End game spoilers:

So i totally saw that Zobek was a Shadow Lord, BUT, what I didn't expect was the section after the credits, so good.

Could someone please explain how Zobek is still alive? Didn't Satan kill him?

Also disappointed there was no cool post game extras to turn on and play with :(

Ok I'm starting to wonder if I've encountered some sort of gamebreaking bug, or if my dual shock is broken, but something ain't right. Right at the start if the clocktower stage, when you get up to the crank you have to use to raise that bridge up...it will turn halfway and then stop and kick me out of the animation. WTF?

Foffy

Banned
DualShadow said:
Finished it on the weekend :D

End game spoilers:

So i totally saw that Zobek was a Shadow Lord, BUT, what I didn't expect was the section after the credits, so good.

Could someone please explain how Zobek is still alive? Didn't Satan kill him?

Also disappointed there was no cool post game extras to turn on and play with :(

You can put Snake's eyepatch and bandanna on Gabriel. Or is that not cool? :p

jett

D-Member
Ninja Scooter said:
Ok I'm starting to wonder if I've encountered some sort of gamebreaking bug, or if my dual shock is broken, but something ain't right. Right at the start if the clocktower stage, when you get up to the crank you have to use to raise that bridge up...it will turn halfway and then stop and kick me out of the animation. WTF?

lolz.

Protip: press R2 once to hold on to the lever. Move it. Press R2 again to release.

forrest

formerly nacire
Ninja Scooter said:

Just hold the button until the arms retract all the way in. Then start pushing the direction. i know it sucks and is a pretty poor mechanic. Those levers on the clock tower seem to operate on their own individual mechanics! :D

jett said:
lolz.

Protip: press R2 once to hold on to the lever. Move it. Press R2 again to release.
Lol I just got that from digging through the thread. Is that the only lever where they make you let go of R2? Kinda sloppy.

Ninja Scooter said:
Lol I just got that from digging through the thread. Is that the only lever where they make you let go of R2? Kinda sloppy.
No, they all are, but that one is longer, so you might be hitting the R2 button more than once.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
brandonh83 said:
So did he. He said it was a good game. If you felt that the negatives affected his experience then my personal opinion would sound like a crazed street prophet professing how the bad framerates and poor fighting mechanics of LoS doomed our civilization.

jett

D-Member
Ninja Scooter said:

Actually that's how all the levers work in the game, but that one in particular is the only one that gives you a problem when you hold down R2, for some reason.

Foffy said:
You can put Snake's eyepatch and bandanna on Gabriel. Or is that not cool? :p

Haha I knew someone was going to say that :p

I was actually hoping for
the ability to have unlimited light/dark magic or a skin of the Gabriel after the credits, would be pretty awesome

revolverjgw said:
The story in this game is really awkward. Picard kept going on about how Gabriel was
devolving into an obsessed, murderous madman...
which I never would have picked up on if I wasn't waiting to skip the boring narration, 'cuz I sure didn't see this happening in the game or cutscenes.

Please spoiler that kind of stuff!

Foffy

Banned
DualShadow said:
Haha I knew someone was going to say that :p

I was actually hoping for
the ability to have unlimited light/dark magic or a skin of the Gabriel after the credits, would be pretty awesome

That would break the flow of the upcoming DLC. It could make those segments too easy. :p

brandonh83 said:

Just finished it last night. I concur though it still was a few chapters too long and even though I finished every puzzle without ever unlocking the solution, I began to dread them as things wore on...

CAVE343

I also finished it a few days ago, and it was a good game. I loved the scenery and artstyle, but I found the combat only fun at first. After a while it became a bit boring and repetitive. The story was ok I guess. All in all a good game, and I'm curious where Mercury Steam will take the franchise.

zoukka

The art team in Mercurysteam is godly.

And I quite like the platforming. Have died only a couple of times during leaping and rappelling. The dashboots and longjump are awesome. This engine could make one hell of a Metroidlike...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I found the soundtrack to be a bit disappointing at first, but after finishing the game I decided to listen to all the tracks and eh... I'm really warming up to it. Ice Titan, Waterfalls of Agharta and Final Confrontation are stellar tracks.

zoukka

Creamium said:
I found the soundtrack to be a bit disappointing at first, but after finishing the game I decided to listen to all the tracks and eh... I'm really warming up to it. Ice Titan, Waterfalls of Agharta and Final Confrontation are stellar tracks.

Yeah it's visuals telling the story in this game, not the soundtrack.

SpokkX

The soundtrack could be from any game... that is the problem

It is not bad but it IS generic... to the point where I actually became annoyed with it because of Castlevanias historiy of great unique music

So I took advantage of the day off and finally finished this game off. Some jumbled thoughts: First, the game is VERY God of War. Moreso than I expected. It's pretty much to GoW what SOTN was to Super Metroid. Similar light puzzle solving, the QTEs, the epic boss fights, right down to the feel of the combat and gameplay, which is a good thing. I'd rather have them copy the guys that got it right, rather than deliver something broken. The graphics are great, sometimes downright amazing. I know the FPS are not up to snuff, but it hardly ever bothered me (PS3 version). Just not noticeable to me, but frame rates hardly ever bother me these days. I was very pleasantly surprised at how great the game looked, and how much polish it had. The voice acting was top notch, I really enjoyed the story and atmosphere (probably more than God of War, which is getting a little over the top and on the tacky side these days if I'm being honest). Coming from a relatively unknown dev, they really hit it out of the park in terms of the audio/visual presentation.

Which brings me to the the major downside, for all the polish on the presentation, is the glaring lack of polish on the gameplay. Not that it's terrible, but it really makes you appreciate how great Studio Santa Monica are at polishing the gameplay in GoW. Everything in that game is so seamless. The levels are designed to where you ALWAYS know what you are supposed to do next, which ledge to jump on, which platform you can and can't get to. That is something this game lacks. Lots of frustrating moments. Too many situations where I just didn't know what I was supposed to do. They tried to cram so many different mechanics in the game, so many different actions you can make when you are swinging from a hook, for example, that you hardly ever use them and when it comes time at some point later in the game where the game requires you to, say double jump off the hook so that you can jump passed an electrical field, you don't even remember you had that in your arsenal.

The combat is the same way. Good, very responsive. Has that great "feeling of impact" that I think you need to have in these kinds of action games, but just missing that extra level of polish that can lead it to be very frustrating at times. A lot of times the enemies are hard to track, particularly the smaller, quicker ones that attack in bunches. Their attack "tells" are also not as deliberate as I wish they were. This makes blocking/countering almost impossible at times. You basically have to stop what you are doing and say "Ok I'm going to block his next attack" rather than feeling like it just comes naturally in the flow of a fight. I had to go in to the options and turn on the hit counters and life bars for enemies to make it a little easier.

I still thought it was a fantastic game though. Would recommend, and overall I was really impressed by Mercury Steam. I think they laid a solid foundation should they be allowed to make a sequel.

Finaika

I must say I'm now hooked by the game. At first I felt rather meh, but starting from Chapter 3 onwards something "clicked" and I'm having tons of fun now. :D

I disagree with the feeling of impact, actually.

A lot of time it felt like you were just blowing air on to enemies, especially swordmasters, who took your hits like they were nothing.

MoxManiac

Is the rest of the game's bosses as badly designed and infuriatingly executed as the chapter 2 titan boss? I need to know if this game is worth continuing.

LowParry

MoxManiac said:
Is the rest of the game's bosses as badly designed and infuriatingly executed as the chapter 2 titan boss? I need to know if this game is worth continuing.

Yes, continue to play.

jett

D-Member
MoxManiac said:

No, thank god.

Darklord

Banned
MoxManiac said:

No. I thought it was pretty shit at that point. The game gets better though and I'm enjoying it a lot now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MoxManiac said:

Very few of the bosses are interesting and a lot of them are kind of same-y, IMO, but they are definitely more fun than the titans. Continue playing!

god damn vampires gang up on me with animated armors and my reflexes are not enough to see the instant attacks :E

but only once so far have i had to lower the difficulty... i can do this...

Yeah, really digging this, the camera effect during boss figths really spices things up while it does go way crazy, and apparently someone in Mercury Stream thought Shadow of Colossus was too fun, so hey lets fuck it up.
So far it's been a very uneven experience but the making's of a great game are there.

Noisepurge said:
god damn vampires gang up on me with animated armors and my reflexes are not enough to see the instant attacks :E

but only once so far have i had to lower the difficulty... i can do this...
Don't be afraid to use holy water.

It can give you much needed breathing room.

Just got to Chapter II yesterday. Loving this game. It really does harken back to the feel of the older CVs (namely Super IV) and the polish the overall game has is great.

Top Bottom