• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Could somebody who owns CE tell me if the artbook is good? I'm dissapointed with Demon's Souls one.

I honestly didn't like anything about the CE other than the cover art. I found it incredibly lackluster and not very well-produced.

Anyway, guess the new DLC is finally hitting the PSN tomorrow...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
With the definitive ending (until the sequel) this game has, the DLC ends up seeming like some table scraps left over from development that they decided to monetize. Bad form.

burgerdog

brandonh83 said:
I honestly didn't like anything about the CE other than the cover art. I found it incredibly lackluster and not very well-produced.

Anyway, guess the new DLC is finally hitting the PSN tomorrow...

Don't do it. Please don't reward this type of DLC.

burgerdog said:
Don't do it. Please don't reward this type of DLC.

VgLs6l.jpg

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think that Lords of Shadow is a fair representation of the classic Castlevania formula. Most of the radical changes can be attributed to the fact that action platforming games are notoriously difficult to translate into 3D. For example, it is often an under-appreciated fact the lengths to which the 3D Mario games went to cultivate an experience that was very different from the one in the 2D versions. LoS, despite its flaws, is kind of what I expected from a 3D Castlevania game. The platforming elements in particular are really well done.

Beyond the usual complaints, I have two others. The trailer was extremely classy for a videogame, so it's a disappointment that they couldn't translate the same thing to the actual story. What's the point of wasting such vast resources of acting talent on a story riddled with cliches and silly dialogue? Patrick Stewart could have spent his time polishing up on his Shakespeare instead, and he would've been better for it. I'm also disappointed in the fact that the game spends less than half its time on the actual castle. They should've just consolidated the last few chapters and added more to middle of the game.

jett

D-Member
Original DLC plans probably got cut up pretty badly after the game turned out to be less than a success.

Wasn't Resurrection supposed to be about the original game's epilogue? Meh.

RPGCrazied

The way it was hyped, the last DLC was going to be awesome, but I hear its shorter than the first one, and in the same static art cutscenes! What were they thinking pricing these at $10 each?

This should be $5 for both.

jett said:
Original DLC plans probably got cut up pretty badly after the game turned out to be less than a success.
Odd, I was under the impression that the game had done well commercially. Not Modern Warfare numbers, of course, but I thought it had sold "enough" (whatever that means these days).

Sagitario

Riposte said:
Has any the DLC music be ripped yet?

EDIT: I don't know if this song was in the original games or not (sounds familiar), but it is not on the soundtrack:

It was.
And that video is more than "mild" spoilers.

Foffy

Banned
Wallachia said:
I started watching Resurrection vids on YouTube. Upsetting. I would even say Reverie was better.

And to top it off, the moneygrabbing seen for Castlevania HD offers more bang for your buck too. :p

Coming from someone who loved Lords of Shadow, this DLC is pretty bad.

Here is the layout:
-Starting area
-Half a boss fight
-Small unpolished platforming section
-Fire skeleton fight that can be just ran by all together
-Boss Fight

I am really disappointed. I thought they said that Resurrection was going to be way longer then Reverie. It might be a quarter its length. Most of the time is spent redoing platform areas and boss fights to memorize attack queues.

Wallachia

keltickennedy said:
Coming from someone who loved Lords of Shadow, this DLC is pretty bad.

Here is the layout:
-Starting area
-Half a boss fight
-Small unpolished platforming section
-Fire skeleton fight that can be just ran by all together
-Boss Fight

I am really disappointed. I thought they said that Resurrection was going to be way longer then Reverie. It might be a quarter its length. Most of the time is spent redoing platform areas and boss fights to memorize attack queues.
Thanks. Shame on David Cox and/or Konami exec's. I was going to let Reverie slide since I was still in the trance of LoS' greatness. But now, after this letdown I'm even worried that the proper LoS sequel might be cheapified when it comes around..

Wallachia said:
Thanks. Shame on David Cox and/or Konami exec's. I was going to let Reverie slide since I was still in the trance of LoS' greatness. But now, after this letdown I'm even worried that the proper LoS sequel might be cheapified when it comes around..

Seriously though, The DLC might suck because they are already working on the sequel and had to wrap up these DLCs quickly because they were promised.

BeeDog

The last DLC is fucking infuriating. How the hell are you supposed to beat the boss in its second form? You need to jump to attack his arm, but all of his attacks reach you when in mid-air, making the fight an extreme chore.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to beat him?

RPGCrazied said:
The way it was hyped, the last DLC was going to be awesome, but I hear its shorter than the first one, and in the same static art cutscenes! What were they thinking pricing these at $10 each?

This should be $5 for both.

Actually, there are a few real time cutscenes in addition to the comic style ones. There were none in Reverie.

I agree that the pricing should have been 5 each. I don't know if they cut some things back (although it sounded like the expansions were going to be a lot more ambitious), but both would be decent value for half the price. They should have been released as one pack, given what they are like.

BeeDog said:
The last DLC is fucking infuriating. How the hell are you supposed to beat the boss in its second form? You need to jump to attack his arm, but all of his attacks reach you when in mid-air, making the fight an extreme chore.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to beat him?

You just have to dodge a lot and double-tap the left stick to run around and make long jumps to attack. The fastest way to beat him is by going slowly, three to five hits in every attack at best. If you just try to spam attacks on him, you'll just be killed every time.

I found it difficult as well, but I also find it challenging that you cannot beat him in 2 minutes.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So what happened to the dlc that was supposed to take place after the epilogue? Maybe it's a case of the post above me afterall...

That was supposed to be Resurrection :/

It sounds to me like Reverie was originally supposed to be both of these packs in one. And then Resurrection as it's own. But then at some point the staff got too busy or got fired and there was no-one to create new assets for that pack and they just decided to scrap it and split Reverie in two.

Wallachia

Noisepurge said:

It sounds to me like Reverie was originally supposed to be both of these packs in one. And then Resurrection as it's own. But then at some point the staff got too busy or got fired and there was no-one to create new assets for that pack and they just decided to scrap it and split Reverie in two.

Any truth in this? Or your speculation? I ask because it sounds like it can be the.. ahem God's truth :(

My guess on what happened is that CV actually did better than anyone realistically was planning on, and MercurySteam pretty quickly got tapped by Konami for a sequel, into which their planned second DLC was folded.

I tell myself this every night before bed.

the chris

Noisepurge said:

The part about part about both packs being one in the beginning sounds right to me, although I'm sure Konami cut the budget for the DLC and the team ended up splitting the first DLC since two packs were initially announced.

Wallachia

Blast Processing said:
My guess on what happened is that CV actually did better than anyone realistically was planning on, and MercurySteam pretty quickly got tapped by Konami for a sequel, into which their planned second DLC was folded.

I tell myself this every night before bed.

I'll take it. Thank you. And I imagine in a couple weeks then, Cox will announce something about a sequel in the works. Since it obviously wouldn't be pertinent to, to distract from driving people to the DLC's currently. They better!

I was re-playing some LoS levels last nite.. The Dark Bog, and The Raven Queen's castle. I love the moods in both those levels. I actually found the hidden room in the Raven Queen's castle where there is a gem fragment and some graves. And then you find your way to that door that comes out in her grand entrance way. That was a nice treat :)

Wallachia

the chris said:
The part about part about both packs being one in the beginning sounds right to me, although I'm sure Konami cut the budget for the DLC and the team ended up splitting the first DLC since two packs were initially announced.

Yes, more and more, this sounds like it. Makes me think, if they both actually DID come out in ONE, that would be a killer DLC, and more on par with the kind of excellence demonstrated from the LoS game proper. Blame it on business.

Still want to grab this up sometime this summer. Don't really care about the DLC, just want to play the main experience. Something about it is calling my name all of the sudden.

Wallachia

ToyMachine228 said:
Still want to grab this up sometime this summer. Don't really care about the DLC, just want to play the main experience. Something about it is calling my name all of the sudden.

It deserves your time.. and to me, the greatness doesn't really start until chapter 3. So give it a bit to get going..

Wallachia

Finally played it last nite. LoL, you have to SEARCH for it on PSN. About halfway thru I think. And I actually RECOMMEND it for any CV or LoS fan. Sure I don't think it is worth $9.99, but what they did here, is done well.

SPOILERS:

Anyway, I just beat level 1, of 2 total. I think the boss battle is actually cleverly crafted so far, the combination of chasing and hiding from the Forgotten One, up walls and across lava floats. I am just pretending THIS is the final boss battle of the LoS game proper, because I despised the Satan battler.. it was just lackluster for such an epic journey. Not even needed.

And the DLCs remind me, I LOVE how whenever you encounter a new monster or boss, their info card comes up, complete with awesome art drawing, and well-written descriptions.

ToyMachine228 said:

its definitely worth playing. Pleasant surprise of the year so far for me.

Wallachia

From David Cox' twitter. Looks like some new news very soon :)

CastlevaniaLOS David Cox
@SuccessorOfFate - Watch for it on Friday and some other cool and interesting stuff about the development of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
29 Jun

Wallachia

I like the newly turned vampires.. creepy. Yeah Simon is very Altair'ish. Too Italian looking too. Some of the outfitis cool, but needs to be tweaked a little bit more. Sure, keep it 'Crusades' era-ish, but add more Simon style from CV 1 through 4!

Started Resurrection less than an hour ago.... and now it's finished!!!

what the f**k is this sh*t?

after selling Reverie for 10$ to only play a very short chapter.... we pay another 10$ for even way more shorter chapter?

we payed 60$ for an awesome 20 hours game.... then we pay another 20$ only for extra 2 hours?

this is a JOKE... yes it is.

Castlevania LOS was one of my favorite games in 2010... in fact, one of my favorite this generation, how did they managed to sabotage the DLCs this badly :\

Shame on them.... this isn't even worth 5$.

I'm very very very disappointed with their DLCs..... the worse I've ever played .

Wallachia

The Praiseworthy said:
Started Resurrection less than an hour ago.... and now it's finished!!!

what the f**k is this sh*t?

after selling Reverie for 10$ to only play a very short chapter.... we pay another 10$ for even way more shorter chapter?

we payed 60$ for an awesome 20 hours game.... then we pay another 20$ only for extra 2 hours?

this is a JOKE... yes it is.

Castlevania LOS was one of my favorite games in 2010... in fact, one of my favorite this generation, how did they managed to sabotage the DLCs this badly :\

Shame on them.... this isn't even worth 5$.

I'm very very very disappointed with their DLCs..... the worse I've ever played .

I dig a lot of aspects of the DLCs. But yes, its capitalization on a strong fan base. The business got tge best of us. At least the dlc sales will justify making a sequel.

Just picked up the limited edition for $30 at Best Buy.

I heard this game is pretty tough, other than playing on easy does anyone have any advice before I begin?

IsayFever

Neuromancer said:

I heard this game is pretty tough, other than playing on easy does anyone have any advice before I begin?

Prepare your mind and body for the best Castlevagina in a long time.

Neuromancer said:

For modern games, it's slightly tougher than most but I wouldn't say it's difficult especially not compared to the Classic CV's

robertsan21 said:
what is this?
the sequel to lord of shadows ?
It's Beta footage from Lords of Shadow.

Top Bottom