• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The final DLC comes out next week? This is the one that ties into the ending of the game?

Can someone as detailed as they can (as long as it isn't painful) lay out how Reverie was story-wise? I've skipped it, but I want the DLC that ties into the ending, so I imagine there's some plot that needs a-knowin'

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
Its crazy how good this game looks, I wish I could wipe my memory and play it again.

made in Spain baby, one of the best games this gen and way wayyyyy underrated. Apart from the godly graphics and art the combat system puts some God of War iterations to shame. The framerate sucks for 10-15% of the game though. I read in some Spanish magazine that Mercury Steam barely used the Cell SPUs for this game as the pressure for making two versions (PS360) was hard and they didn't have the time for looking into that so they just coded a generic version on PC and ported that to consoles (so the PS3 lead version stuff is basically bs if that article was telling the truth). Anyway, they promised a much better, polished and optimized engine for their next game (LoS sequel probably).

Haint

John Harker said:
The final DLC comes out next week? This is the one that ties into the ending of the game?

Can someone as detailed as they can (as long as it isn't painful) lay out how Reverie was story-wise? I've skipped it, but I want the DLC that ties into the ending, so I imagine there's some plot that needs a-knowin'

Just watch the official Reverie trailer, it literally lays it all out.
Little vampire girl tells you to come to the castle as some big monster the LoS (or precursors or someone) sealed away is breaking free now that they're dead. You run through a few rooms of the castle, and do a collect-a-thon puzzle to open a gate to the monster's realm. To enter the realm, vampire girl has to sacrifice herself and let you drink her dry to turn you into some super vampire (or something). Cut to black, then end, $10 wasted.

Violater

Lince said:
made in Spain baby, one of the best games this gen and way wayyyyy underrated. Apart from the godly graphics and art the combat system puts some God of War iterations to shame. The framerate sucks for 10-15% of the game though. I read in some Spanish magazine that Mercury Steam barely used the Cell SPUs for this game as the pressure for making two versions (PS360) was hard and they didn't have the time for looking into that so they just coded a generic version on PC and ported that to consoles (so the PS3 lead version stuff is basically bs if that article was telling the truth). Anyway, they promised a much better, polished and optimized engine for their next game (LoS sequel probably).

Way underrated indeed, I'm generally not as sensitive to frame rate issues in high intensity scenarios so it was an ok experience for me. As for the sequel the hint at the end of the game is just where I want them to take it. But I did have more fun playing this than GOW3 for sure.
Not feeling the price of the dlc, hopefully there will br a PS plus discount.

Teknoman

Violater said:
Way underrated indeed, I'm generally not as sensitive to frame rate issues in high intensity scenarios so it was an ok experience for me. As for the sequel the hint at the end of the game is just where I want them to take it. But I did have more fun playing this than GOW3 for sure.
Not feeling the price of the dlc, hopefully there will br a PS plus discount.

Would be nice if the free PSN+ for all (2 months right?) popped up in time.

Zeal

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
You guys know what I can't wait for?

TO REPLAY THIS SHIT AGAIN THIS HALLOWEEN! (^___^)
Amen to this. Playing Castlevania on Halloween should be a universal gaming tradition.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just found the special edition at Best Buy for $30, cheaper than the standard edition. Gorgeous packaging. Picked it up since I was planning on getting it at some point since I loved the demo and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Too bad I don't have my PS3 for a few more days. The full game is as good as the demo, right? I mainly loved the atmosphere of it so if that holds up I can really see myself digging this game.

CatPee

RoboPlato said:
I just found the special edition at Best Buy for $30, cheaper than the standard edition. Gorgeous packaging. Picked it up since I was planning on getting it at some point since I loved the demo and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Too bad I don't have my PS3 for a few more days. The full game is as good as the demo, right? I mainly loved the atmosphere of it so if that holds up I can really see myself digging this game.

Aside from some random filler sequences, the game's pacing is good for the most part. Atmosphere is great.

(Monster spoiler)
Damn you Chupacabra!

Lince

Banned
RoboPlato said:

technically you mean? I guess so, but lol the demo is just a small taste of what's ahead, if you liked that part prepare to be amazed in no time.

urge to replay (and Platinum) LoS raising...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lince said:
technically you mean? I guess so, but lol the demo is just a small taste of what's ahead, if you liked that part prepare to be amazed in no time.

urge to replay (and Platinum) LoS raising...
Awesome news. The wait to get my PS3 back just got even harder.

Finally finished it. Despite the majority opinion in this thread, I found the castle (chapters 5-9?) to be the least compelling part of the game. It had the least inspired art design of any section in the game and contained what I felt to be a large concentration on aggravatingly tedious puzzles. What drew me into this game originally was the art direction, which continued to be breathtaking throughout, and was the only part of the game I'd really say was above-average. I was probably annoyed more often than I actually had fun with this title, but it did a good job of giving you platforming/puzzle breathers in between the combat. That puts it above the God of Wars for me, which are even worse slogs because of their dreadful pacing.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Genesis Knight said:
Waiting for impressions before I drop 10 bones, looks like Reverie wasn't even worth it.

I just DL'd it, but i cant find it in the menus.
i feel pretty dumb

For those who DL'd Reverie, where was it hidden?
If i need to DL Reverie for Resurrection to work im gonna blow a gasket.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Check Chapter 13 on the world map.

Edit:NVM it was the other DLC. Then I do not know. (Do not have it yet)

Black_Stride

Pupi18 said:
Check Chapter 13 on the world map.

Edit:NVM it was the other DLC. Then I do not know. (Do not have it yet)

Just found out there is a problem with the DLC and we cant access it.
FUUUUUUUUU!!!
How does this even happen?

http://twitter.com/#!/CastlevaniaLOS

Black_Stride

DLC is up and Update launched.
Starting it now, and will have impressions soon.

edit.
Ok Impressions and Spoilers

It is only two stages.
1st Stage is about 1/2 Platforming 1/4 combat, 1/4 Boss Fight
2nd Stage is about 1/3 old school platforming, 1/3 combat, 1/3 Epic boss fight and part of the boss battle is very annoying, not cheap just straight up annoying.
It took me a while to do the final boss battle, just cuz my skills dropped after not touching the game for over a month.

I suggest you brush up you general skills for this DLC I got my ass handed to me during the second stage combat sections

Gabriels narration of the chapters is pretty bad, compared to gabriel in game that is.

The Forgotten ones voice is the worst in this game, he sounds so weird...and because his mouth doesnt move, it makes it that much worse.
i actually thought it was a joke at first and a chubacabra or something was gonna pop out from under the armor. Terrible, i cant take this guy seriously with a voice like that/this.

The end of the game is hella stupid both because the story seems to have jumped the shark for this chapter and also, it uses the same comic cutscene garbage for the last cutscene, which could have looked so awesome in game

Redeeming factor: The Beast of Aaargh
Worth getting....honestly no, just watch it on Youtube and youll be fine.
If both Reverie and Ressurection were one pack for 800msp then it would be more attractive.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Reverie was fucking bad (and this is coming from a person that loved LoS), but it ended on a cliffhanger. I don't know why, but I feel obligated to get Resurrection. I'll wait for XBL impressions and pick up the PSN version.

ssowinski

Just started the game and so far its fine. Hope it gets lots of support (DLCs) for when I finish it in a few weeks. Just want a bundle or price cut by then.

NeoUltima

Whoa, the Resurrection DLC is actually up on the UK PSN Store. So much for June 21st. Hopefully it goes up on other regions soon too.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, doesn't sound it got that much better from the last DLC. I'll pass on this one, shame cause this is the one I wanted to play the most.

Just finished the game. Wow. DAT ENDING. DAT...ENDING.

I loved the game despite some rough edges throughout. I think I might have enjoyed it as a whole MORE than God Of War 3 as well. The last couple of chapters just wrap everything up with a pace that really gives off a "We did this how WE wanted to" feeling. I regret not being there day 1, but I will fix that with an eventual sequel.

Also, the production values on this were through the roof and stayed there for the duration of the lengthy campaign. I can't think that they had the budget of some of the so called "AAA" games out there, but they far surpassed what most games do. Very Metal Gear Solid quality to the cut scenesm and I mean that in the best way possible.

Aru

I'm really relieved that the DLC are mediocre because I was disappointed with the game and didn't want to spend more money just to get a bit more storylines. Not gonna explain why anymore, I recall already doing it once or twice in this thread.

I'm still probably gonna get the next game, but I seriously hope they fix the mechanics to be more Castlevania-ish.

hank_tree

Damn I wasn't expecting the DLC to be out today. I really need to go to bed but if it's only two stages I might try and power through it quickly.

ssowinski

With even just the earlier chapters under my belt I have to say that I am impressed. I know that there are some minor issues, but I find issues with every game I play, bar none. Needless to say I am looking forward to experiencing the rest. I haven't played a game like this in years. I'm actually looking up all the monsters and characters and reading all the scrolls and enjoy the narration as well. Bravo!

brandonh83 said:
Should have just made this one DLC and charged $10. Mother of god what a joke.

Agreed, but on the flip side, the original game is longer than most action adventure games plus a handful of DLCs.

MS is probably trying to get some extra cash, and I'm not really pissed at them. I'll eventually get the DLCs as a form of appreciation, but I was confident they would have been lackluster.

It's sort of a problem of the DLC format, right now. On paper it could be awesome - expanding a game you love over and over. Problem is, the industry right now works at lightspeed. You start working on a new game before QA on the previous one is over. So to create good DLC, you'd need new assets and the same team who did the original game, but those guys are already working on the sequel, so you get... this.

hank_tree

I thought David Cox or someone had said that the second dlc would be larger than the first. That was before either of them came out. Maybe I dreamt it.

hank_tree

Dartastic said:
Bumping because I want to know whether Resurrection is really worth a purchase. I can't find a thread on it. :/

It's definitely not worth 800 microsoft points. It's basically one big boss fight split over two levels. And it's not a particularly fun boss fight.

Link0080

I just got my 360 back recently after a year or so and i tried the demo and enjoyed, is the whole game like the demo or are there other things to do? Also how long is it? Thanks.

burgerdog

Dityrink said:
I just got my 360 back recently after a year or so and i tried the demo and enjoyed, is the whole game like the demo or are there other things to do? Also how long is it? Thanks.

You're going to be jumping from place to place, solving a puzzle every now and then and fighting in between. If you have played god of war, this is very similar and it is awesome. The game is super meaty, I forgot how long it took me to beat it, all I can remember is that this game was a steal at $60 given how long it was.

Stay away from the DLC, $20 will give you ONE hour of play time.

Top Bottom