• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

The_Darkest_Red said:
Definitely. There were some parts of the game where I just stopped to take in the view, something I do very rarely in games. 8-1 in particular stands out to me as absolutely breathtaking, although there are dozens of other indoor and outdoor locations in the game that are quite memorable. I especially appreciated how varied everything was.

I always thought his head looked kind of small for some reason but other than that I like his character design.
YES

I found the game to be pretty fucking tough on Knight. I got up to the part where youre in the blue-ish caves fighitng the giant spiders and little flying demon bastards and youve gotta be switching back and forth between light and dark powers for a successful win. yeah i gave up after three tries. Havent gone back since, but I will eventually though. Its a sweet game.

The game didn't really have any original ideas, that's what bothered me. I hope Konami tries something new next time and give the franchise to some other developer.

Apoc87

Banned
Anyone ever figure out what the hell was up with the wierd framerate/animations/hitboxes/lag that centered around the combat?

I beat the game, and enjoyed it, but it just seemed unpolished to me. For whatever reason.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
The game didn't really have any original ideas, that's what bothered me. I hope Konami tries something new next time and give the franchise to some other developer.
Has there ever been a character action game that used a similar light/dark magic mechanic? I found that aspect of the game to be fairly refreshing, especially since I enjoyed the combat in general.

Overall I will agree with you though, the game doesn't have many original ideas. The thing is, I feel like all of the ideas that were borrowed were merged into an excellent final product, minus a few minor issues. To me the game is basically God of War in combat and Uncharted in traversal, both games that I love, but the game manages to stay varied and interesting beyond those borrowed ideas thanks to some fantastic art and an interesting story (in my opinion, admittedly).

.la1n

Apoc87 said:
Anyone ever figure out what the hell was up with the wierd framerate/animations/hitboxes/lag that centered around the combat?

I beat the game, and enjoyed it, but it just seemed unpolished to me. For whatever reason.

I think that is where the split in opinions on the game came from. Some people could ignore those areas and have fun, for others it was game breaking. Personally I thought the art style, music, and graphics were damn amazing I didn't even notice any of those issues myself. There are others who will jump in here and say it atrocious. One of those rent before buying scenarios.

Also, the DLC really didn't appeal to me as much as I had hoped when it was announced. It could have easily just been one DLC pack and probably felt like a better deal.

.la1n said:
I think that is where the split in opinions on the game came from. Some people could ignore those areas and have fun, for others it was game breaking. Personally I thought the art style, music, and graphics were damn amazing I didn't even notice any of those issues myself. There are others who will jump in here and say it atrocious. One of those rent before buying scenarios.
For me it was simply a matter of managed expectations. I had high hopes for LoS but I wasn't expecting the general polish and quality to be on par with something like God of War III due to the fact that MS is a fairly small and relatively unproven developer. What we ended up with is a game that may be slightly worse than GoWIII in a few areas (polish, graphical fidelity, "tightness" of combat) but excels in nearly every other category (variety, art-style, story, music, presentation, scope). The game was such a pleasant surprise regarding those areas that it was easy to overlook some of the more minor flaws.

tigerin

i just started playing this game and it's pretty good. i got a question tho. how do i find the gems or anything that i forgot after i beat the chapter? are there any maps that indicate where to look in the game? or do i have to go on gamefaqs.com? i'm afraid i might not be able to beat the enemies in the later chapters if i'm not prepared.

Grisby

tigerin said:
i just started playing this game and it's pretty good. i got a question tho. how do i find the gems or anything that i forgot after i beat the chapter? are there any maps that indicate where to look in the game? or do i have to go on gamefaqs.com? i'm afraid i might not be able to beat the enemies in the later chapters if i'm not prepared.

You can go back to any chapter on the map after you've completed it. The closet you'll get to a map is the chapter screen telling you how many gems you've found in that level. Now, some areas in a level are inaccessible until you get certain items.

And the game is full of off screen section and crannies. I can't believe how many I missed. If you want all the first go around you'll need GFAQS or spend a lot of time exploring.

tigerin said:
I'm making little notes to myself when I run into things I can't get yet.

=(

Alright guys I had a good run but I think I'm giving up on this game. I just find the combat really frustrating. It's my fault really for even giving it a chance, I hate God of War style combat so I should have known better. I was hoping if I played it on easy it wouldn't be too bad but every time I play I want to throw my controller at the wall which just isn't fun for me. Oh well, it's too bad because I like everything else about it.

Neuromancer said:
Alright guys I had a good run but I think I'm giving up on this game. I just find the combat really frustrating. It's my fault really for even giving it a chance, I hate God of War style combat so I should have known better. I was hoping if I played it on easy it wouldn't be too bad but every time I play I want to throw my controller at the wall which just isn't fun for me. Oh well, it's too bad because I like everything else about it.
This makes me pretty sad to hear. I guess it makes sense considering your dislike of GoW's combat, though. How far did you make it? For what it's worth, I didn't really find the game that interesting until Chapter 4 or so.

I picked this up recently and am having a blast so far.

It's basically everything I love about GoW (pure epicness, graphics) only without the shitty parts that I hate about GoW (Anything to do with Kratos' angst) and with better art direction and exploration/rpg elements.

The Interrobanger said:
It's basically everything I love about GoW (pure epicness, graphics) only without the shitty parts that I hate about GoW (Anything to do with Kratos' angst) and with better art direction and exploration/rpg elements.
Playing it through to completion will probably only solidify this opinion for you. That's definitely how I felt about it. Gabriel is far and away a much better character than post GoWII Kratos, and I still like him more than GoW I-II Kratos as well.

The only thing GoW has on Castlevania: LoS is more polish in terms of the smoothness of the gameplay. It's really a minor complaint though, and it's especially easy to forgive when you take LoS's length into account as well as its relatively unproven developer.

LoS really took me by surprise, probably more than any other game this generation (other than Super Meat Boy, anyway).

The_Darkest_Red said:
This makes me pretty sad to hear. I guess it makes sense considering your dislike of GoW's combat, though. How far did you make it? For what it's worth, I didn't really find the game that interesting until Chapter 4 or so.
I was in chapter 4, just beat an ogre or something.

My main thing is I don't mind fighting little things, and I don't mind fighting a big thing, it's when I have to fight a bunch of little things and a big thing at the same time I get really frustrated.

I may give it another shot, I thought I'd be able to sell it back for more than like $9 so it looks like I'll be holding onto it for the foreseeable future. I need to work on my anger management perhaps. Woosah, woosah.

Started from scratch on this game this afternoon, so awesome. I bought it when it first came out but didn't get far at all. Hopefully I can finish it sometime this weekend, anyone know if there will be a sequel or how the sales figures looked for the 360/ps3? I'd hate to see all of mercurysteams hard work go nowhere.

Oh and, the graphics & soundtrack are amazing.

-Winnie-

fart town usa said:
Started from scratch on this game this afternoon, so awesome. I bought it when it first came out but didn't get far at all. Hopefully I can finish it sometime this weekend, anyone know if there will be a sequel or how the sales figures looked for the 360/ps3? I'd hate to see all of mercurysteams hard work go nowhere.

Oh and, the graphics & soundtrack are amazing.

The game's pretty lengthy, pacing is a bit off early on but it really gets good a few chapters in.
Not 100% sure on sales figures, but I think it did pretty well and it'd be criminal not the do a sequel after such an ambitious reboot (looking at you PoP2008...)

The game released on October 5th, 2010 but didn't manage to crack the top 10 in sales for that month (as far as NPD's). On November 22nd Konami reported that 1 million units had been shipped between the US and Europe and that they were "extremely pleased at the positive response seen."

They also had this to say about the sales: "the remarkable sales achieved in such a short time are a true testament of the work and dedication that went into this project."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/22/konami-ships-1-million-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-copies/

So I would guess that the game has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million copies by now, although that's just me speculating based on this information. Regardless, I think we can anticipate a sequel.

Wallachia

The_Darkest_Red said:
The game released on October 5th, 2010 but didn't manage to crack the top 10 in sales for that month (as far as NPD's). On November 22nd Konami reported that 1 million units had been shipped between the US and Europe and that they were "extremely pleased at the positive response seen."

They also had this to say about the sales: "the remarkable sales achieved in such a short time are a true testament of the work and dedication that went into this project."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/22/konami-ships-1-million-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-copies/

So I would guess that the game has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million copies by now, although that's just me speculating based on this information. Regardless, I think we can anticipate a sequel.

Thanks for this. I was always wondering.. Now, they need to tease some sequel information quickstyle..

RedAssedApe

Banned
LTTP. Actually bought the game at launch but got sidetracked by my friends always wanting to play online shooters on XBL.

Anyhow...very pretty game but the combat is super frustrating. I think my main problem is that it feels like all the enemies have super armor and can interrupt you in the middle of an attack or combo. The feedback you get is so weak that its sometimes hard to tell if you're even hitting anything. I feel like I'm playing Killer Instinct with how many times I'm hit with some ccccccombo breakerrrrr. Alot of the whip based attacks (besdies the guillotine) seem to be pretty useless so far.

I've given up trying to sync block against regular enemies as it almost always results in me eating damage. And I only even bother trying it against a boss if I'm desperate and need to fill up my focus so that I can get orbs to refill my magic. A controllable camera would help immensely.

I just beat the first Lord of Shadow. What should I be spending my EXP pts on?

Various questions about the combat and meters:

- When you refill your light/dark meters at the golden fountains, why does it seem like they have an extra level of meter? What does it do/mean? Does it give you unlimited use until it's gone? Why does that "second meter" instantly start depleting well before you can get close to any enemies? Why can you only max it out at the fountains?

- Is there a way to absorb the orbs in the middle of a combo so you really can use magic infinitely? The game makes it sound like it's possible in the skills book, but because you have to stop attacking, click down the absorb button while continually dodging a bunch of enemies, it really kills the flow of combat. I've tried absorbing in the middle of a combo but the game doesn't recognize the stick click.

Grisby

The Interrobanger said:

- When you refill your light/dark meters at the golden fountains, why does it seem like they have an extra level of meter? What does it do/mean? Does it give you unlimited use until it's gone? Why does that "second meter" instantly start depleting well before you can get close to any enemies? Why can you only max it out at the fountains?

- Is there a way to absorb the orbs in the middle of a combo so you really can use magic infinitely? The game makes it sound like it's possible in the skills book, but because you have to stop attacking, click down the absorb button while continually dodging a bunch of enemies, it really kills the flow of combat. I've tried absorbing in the middle of a combo but the game doesn't recognize the stick click.

-Its an extra 'layer' and it drains if you don't use it. Well, it drains if you use it too but think of it as an extra.
-I don't really know. I never tried it but it seems kind of impoosible. I just rolled a bit back and then sucked up the juice before making my way back in.

Sagitario

The Interrobanger said:

You can't. I hope that's one of the things MS fixes for the sequel, automatic absorption plz!

The Interrobanger said:
Yeah, this took me awhile to get used to and I have to say that I wasn't a fan of the decision at first. After awhile I got used to it though, and I actually enjoyed the strategy involved with rolling around and absorbing orbs during the middle of an intense battle. I'm on the fence in terms of whether or not they change it, either way is fine with me.

Mascot

Just picked this up (360) supercheap from eBay. Looking forward to it!
Any tips before I start? Recomended difficulty level etc?

Wallachia

Mascot said:
Just picked this up (360) supercheap from eBay. Looking forward to it!
Any tips before I start? Recomended difficulty level etc?

Normal is fine. Give the game some time to hit its stride.. gets really good at chapter 3 and on.

diddles

Banned
man this game really is hard to like. got it months ago, and i just can't get into it. i play it for 10 minutes once every month and quit disgusted. i'm at some huge boss in an ice like and the controls are awful and laggy, the framerate is horrid, and the way the game holds your hand by telling you everything to do ("you can't reach this chest yet, come back here when you get more power" and "press <button> now to do <thing>" while fighting every boss, etc) is insulting.

how much longer till it supposedly gets good?

Kurtofan

diddles said:
man this game really is hard to like. got it months ago, and i just can't get into it. i play it for 10 minutes once every month and quit disgusted. i'm at some huge boss in an ice like and the controls are awful and laggy, the framerate is horrid, and the way the game holds your hand by telling you everything to do ("you can't reach this chest yet, come back here when you get more power" and "press <button> now to do <thing>" while fighting every boss, etc) is insulting.

The Ice Giant on ice?That's the first chapter's boss right?
Well the next chapter is overly long and kind of a slog to go through, the best part of the game (the village and the castle) doesn't start until chapter V.

diddles said:

The game really picked up for me in Chapter IV. It took me from launch until last month to get through the first three chapters and one day to get through the last 9. Strangely enough it even made me appreciate the earlier parts of the game more.

Thrakier

I really like the asthetics and everything so far. But I think the camera is too zoomed out and the animations are so...hectic. I think at a slower pace like God of War or DmC the game would really benefit from that...

Thrakier said:
I really like the asthetics and everything so far. But I think the camera is too zoomed out and the animations are so...hectic. I think at a slower pace like God of War or DmC the game would really benefit from that...

Yeah the camera does zoom out every now and then during the platforming sections, but they usually reveal a god damned beautiful vista.

Thrakier

Phonomezer said:
Yeah the camera does zoom out every now and then during the platforming sections, but they usually reveal a god damned beautiful vista.

That's true. But in general, when you wander through a level, I'd like it a bit slower. It's like he's on steroids or so or someone is pressing fast forward. Seemss trange.

Thrakier

Strange, I switched on the damage and experience points counters and I'm enjoying the game more. Feels more like CV now. Only the music is distracting. It's almost as it's one track one repeat.

Thrakier said:
Strange, I switched on the damage and experience points counters and I'm enjoying the game more. Feels more like CV now. Only the music is distracting. It's almost as it's one track one repeat.
Ah yes, I love playing the game with some of the combat display information on. I never tried experience points but I know I played almost the entire game with damage on. You're right, it makes the game feel much more like a real Castlevania.

Thrakier

The_Darkest_Red said:
Ah yes, I love playing the game with some of the combat display information on. I never tried experience points but I know I played almost the entire game with damage on. You're right, it makes the game feel much more like a real Castlevania.

The non Metroidvania Castlevanias didn't have combat or experience points though...so there really isn't something like a "real" Castlevania.

Thrakier said:
The non Metroidvania Castlevanias didn't have combat or experience points though...so there really isn't something like a "real" Castlevania.
Metroidvania is real Castlevania in my eyes. "Oh goodness, the blasphemy" etc.

Thrakier

Hm, I don't get the praise for the later levels. I'm at stage 7 or 8 I think, just entered "it". I don't think it's much better than the first half of the game. It's pretty much the same level of quality. Not superb, just good.

Wallachia

I liked Chapter 3, 4, all of the castle.. then yeah, the later ones were appreciated.. to think outside the box, but I didn't like so much either..

Chapters 2-5 were way better than anything later in the game. I got really bored of fighting the same enemies that take forever to kill in the same boring castles and really missed the jungles, ruins, forests and swamps of the early game.

Top Bottom