• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Sydle

I need to finish this game...bought it on release, burned through half of it and then put it down.

+1 for enjoying LoS's combat more than GoW's.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Heh, I guess I wasn't the only one that's now picking up this game. I bought it over the weekend and I'm really enjoying it. I love the art and the atmosphere.

I came into this game expecting a GOW clone and it is so far... except for the combat and the difficulty of even regular enemies. Thinking this was a clone, I was expecting the controls to be the same and my mindset was trying to play it that way.

That is until I realized they're trying to emulate the Ninja Gaiden combat/controls. If you've played NG 1 or 2, shift your thinking that way when it comes to fighting. It becomes a lot more enjoyable.

It's like this weird GOW/NG hybrid with some Castlevania backtracking thrown in for good measure.

I'm sure this all has been said before in this thread, but it's kinda big.

Started playing this tonight and just finished chapter 1. I say holy shit. Lords of Shadows has the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game. It's epic, it's grand, it's beautiful. It makes me want to fight yet cry at the same time.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Wow, this thread got a lot of activity over the past few days.

Regarding the combat in LoS, I actually prefer it to GoW as well. The combat isn't as polished, that is basically inarguable, but I found the general flow to be more complex and enjoyable in LoS. diddles keeps mentioning that the combos in LoS are worthless but that is the complete opposite of my experience with the game beyond the first few hours. Strangely enough that actually seems like a more accurate description of GoW's combat to me as most of the more involved combos in those games are far less efficient than a steady stream of Square+Square+Triangles. In LoS I found myself referring to the combo screen quite often and soon afterwards finding a useful niche for each particular move in combat. The key is learning how each move affects a particular enemy and training yourself to use different moves depending on which type of baddie you're fighting. I also loved the use of light and dark magic in the game as it gave the combat another level of enjoyable complexity.

There is just so much depth in the combat system of LoS and I feel like a lot of that is lost on people who aren't willing to take the time to learn how to use the moves efficiently. Unlike GoW, LoS punishes you for sticking to the most basic attacks by reducing your damage output significantly, which probably leads to a lot of frustration. I can understand why some people never see past the simple moves in LoS's combat though, as the complexity does seem kind of hidden.

I will agree that there were some strange design decisions made regarding combat though. I don't understand why the roll button and block button are the same but for me it basically meant that blocking was out the window, and rolling became an essential part of my combat strategy. Oh well, I think that makes things more fun anyway. I also felt like it was weird how all of the combat display options defaulted to "off," but I guess that has to do with what most modern gamers expect out of this type of game. The health bars and numbers probably aren't for everyone but they improved the experience drastically for me.

I agree with this 100%, well said. I also found myself preferring this game much more to GOW3, mainly for the reasons you stated the combat being more complex and technical (especially on harder difficulty). I also thought that graphically/aesthetically, the scale and imagery here was best in class. So even if those two aspects were a bit unpolished I still think they hit a higher mark than GOW3, for me anyway. Dare I say the story was even better in LoS, even if both games are nothing to write about story-wise.

TheExplodingHead said:
I agree with this 100%, well said. I also found myself preferring this game much more to GOW3, mainly for the reasons you stated the combat being more complex and technical (especially on harder difficulty). I also thought that graphically/aesthetically, the scale and imagery here was best in class. So even if those two aspects were a bit unpolished I still think they hit a higher mark than GOW3, for me anyway. Dare I say the story was even better in LoS, even if both games are nothing to write about story-wise.
Yeah, I prefer the graphics and aesthetics of LoS to GoW, as well as the music, story, and character design. I know the story didn't do it for everyone but I found it to be fairly captivating and interesting, especially from about Chapter 4 onward.

I love the GoW games but I honestly think the only thing they have over LoS is polish.

Fantasmo

Ninja Scooter said:
my biggest beef with the combat in LoS was that the enemy tells are hard to figure out sometimes, especially when you are surrounded by a bunch of them. Can get frustrating to have a combo flow broken.
I agree with everything you said The Darkest Red but I think this quote from Ninja Scooter is the major reason the fight system discourages most from replays. Why in the world would they make the tells impossible? The unblockable flash comes halfway through their windup!

Its funny, because during the introduction town sequence, the game slows to a pause to show you to roll out of the way. But during normal gameplay it comes fast, halfway through their attack animation AND it blends into their regular attack animation.

They have this major important block mechanic for gathering magic and counterattacking and they throw it all out the window by making it impossible to read one enemy attack, nevermind large groups!

How can I possibly feel like a badass or even want to learn this wonderfully diverse combo system, if everytime I get a combo going and start to get the upperhand, I get swooped down on by some guy 15 feet away and get knocked out of it? And because its groups of guys, they just take turns doing it.

I'm not saying get rid of unblockables but all of those moves need revamping in both the tells and how they affect Belmont. NG had a few moves with invincible frames that I could rely on. Do those even exist in LoS? I'm not sure because I'm constantly getting hit before I can experiment!

I've tried replaying but I just find myself falling back to weaker moves and grinding through, which is just not fun, so I stop before I make progress. Its frustrating because all the other parts are there and then a few decisions make it fall short. LoS is also in dire need of a training mode or battle arena.

LevityNYC

Banned
pakkit said:
I love the combat system in this game to death. I'm in the final stretch now however, and countering isn't simply a means to survive, it's a necessity. But I can't nail the timing. Sometimes I'll think I've perfectly timed a counter only to get torn a new asshole. Any pointers?

If you hit them a bunch while they are blocking, they will unleash an unblockable attack

God this thread is making me wanna playthrough again. I know its epic long but I F'n love it. As was stated before, some people didn't dig the story, but I was so sucked into it. My jaw was open all the way till the end. So good!!

Nekobo

I just started playing this. Reached Chapter 3 last night. Digging the gorgeous dark fantasy aesthetics and the cinematic soundtrack. Cutscenes look amazing, too; if they made a movie using the game's assets and quality voice acting (maybe with less of Pat Stewart's hammy narration), I'd pay to watch it. Combat is pretty satisfying, too. Just a few minor complaints: the inconsistent framerate, some of the camera angles, and the pacing doesn't feel right in some areas.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death in this thread, but the
titan battles
felt like a blatant rip off
SoTC
. Also, the
Cake is not a lie
note felt completely out of place and made me facepalm.

keltickennedy said:
God this thread is making me wanna playthrough again. I know its epic long but I F'n love it. As was stated before, some people didn't dig the story, but I was so sucked into it. My jaw was open all the way till the end. So good!!

Yeah I think I'm going to delete my save and start from scratch this October. Halloween's the time for this stuff.

Just beat the game, it got a lot better in the last 3rd or so.

Man that ending was weird. They didn't show Gabriel turning that well, they just expect you to listen to the narrator. Speaking of which, I thought Patrick Stewart did a really bad job overall. It got pretty annoying to listen to, like they just used his first takes on everything.

Ok, I knew Satan was coming because of the whole king of the angels thing, but it was still a stretch. When this long haired dude came down talking about his father, I was really really hoping it was a young Alucard, but I knew Gabe was gonna be dracula because of Stewie ramming Gabe's evil heart down our throats. I don't really agree with the whole Interview with a Vampire twist, though. Doesn't seem all that interesting. Also, I don't get the story. Why does satan need to convince Death to find a warrior to collect the parts of the god mask if he's powerful enough to burn Death while he's wearing the mask already like it's an afterthought? Why not just float right up to each lord and kill them himself?

Did anything interesting happen in the DLC?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Replaying this now. Forgot how incredible it looked. I really enjoyed this game. My memories are better than when I played it since I forgot all the annoying parts!

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah, I prefer the graphics and aesthetics of LoS to GoW, as well as the music, story, and character design. I know the story didn't do it for everyone but I found it to be fairly captivating and interesting, especially from about Chapter 4 onward.

I love the GoW games but I honestly think the only thing they have over LoS is polish.

Well, that's sort of important in an action game. Framerate, enemy hit boxes, level design quibbles...all that stuff. I don't really consider that necessarily "polish" as much as I would just regular design. But in terms of sheer ambition...I've always thought it was the most impressive thing about the game.

They probably bit off more than they could chew, but the end result holds together well enough that you can admire the effort.

TGMIII

Tempted to replay this again shortly, I had it finished the week it came out but I was one of the few that ran into the save corrupting bug. I think I'll have forgotten most of the game by now, is the DLC worth getting?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Started playing this tonight and just finished chapter 1. I say holy shit. Lords of Shadows has the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game. It's epic, it's grand, it's beautiful. It makes me want to fight yet cry at the same time.
Yeah i dont know why but people were bashing the soundtrack around release date. Glad critics didnt think so, composer won some music award for it so i am happy to see the great music recognized. It really had a lot of beautiful stuff in it.

I really hope they get this guy for the 2nd game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah i dont know why but people were bashing the soundtrack around release date. Glad critics didnt think so, composer won some music award for it so i am happy to see the great music recognized. It really had a lot of beautiful stuff in it.

I really hope they get this guy for the 2nd game.

Its use in game is poor. It's repetitive sometimes and is just disconnected from what is going on. Sometimes.

The game's opening scene with the great warg is absolutely fantastic. But then you have like the Sanctuary levels with that awful blaring brass piece that just...loops forever.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Its use in game is poor. It's repetitive sometimes and is just disconnected from what is going on. Sometimes.

The game's opening scene with the great warg is absolutely fantastic. But then you have like the Sanctuary levels with that awful blaring brass piece that just...loops forever.
I didnt think its usage was bad at all. Definitely didn't notice anything off.

Y2Kev said:
Well, that's sort of important in an action game. Framerate, enemy hit boxes, level design quibbles...all that stuff. I don't really consider that necessarily "polish" as much as I would just regular design. But in terms of sheer ambition...I've always thought it was the most impressive thing about the game.

They probably bit off more than they could chew, but the end result holds together well enough that you can admire the effort.
Well the elements you mentioned were basically what I was referring to when I said that GoW was more "polished." Those aspects were more polished as a result of design. GoW's gameplay systems are more finely tuned but I don't think that makes them inherently better.

In other words, I don't think the more polished of two combat systems has to be the better one by default.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The_Darkest_Red said:
Well the elements you mentioned were basically what I was referring to when I said that GoW was more "polished." Those aspects were more polished as a result of design. GoW's gameplay systems are more finely tuned but I don't think that makes them inherently better.

In other words, I don't think the more polished of two combat systems has to be the better one by default.

I find LoS's combat system infinitely more exciting and enjoyable to actually explore than God of War's - it's just buggy and poorly tested. GoW is "polished" but to me, stiff and not worth really getting into the depth of it. It's very flat.

Lords of Shadow by comparison, really makes it feel as if most of those combos, techniques, and options can be built into an efficient style tuned for each encounter, and it has a wonderful visceral sensation with the whip really slamming into things, especially when it smashes into the ground. Unlike GoW, where your attacks feel as if they're just hitting air, and the surfaces or enemies aren't really there.

Kaijima said:
I find LoS's combat system infinitely more exciting and enjoyable to actually explore than God of War's - it's just buggy and poorly tested. GoW is "polished" but to me, stiff and not worth really getting into the depth of it. It's very flat.

Lords of Shadow by comparison, really makes it feel as if most of those combos, techniques, and options can be built into an efficient style tuned for each encounter, and it has a wonderful visceral sensation with the whip really slamming into things, especially when it smashes into the ground. Unlike GoW, where your attacks feel as if they're just hitting air, and the surfaces or enemies aren't really there.
Thanks for summing up my feelings perfectly!

Thrakier

I think I know now what's wrong with this game. Castlevania was always a very iconic series with a strong sense of (it's own) style in asthetics, mechanics and music. This game, though, while quite ok or competent in what it's doing, is missing all of this. It ditched everything what was awesome about CV and replaced it with a generic mix of ideas they found in other videogames. Man, they even ripped of Portal.

Oh, and the framerate is horrible. Whoever thinks that this game has better combat is out of his mind.

Ledsen

Thrakier said:
I think I know now what's wrong with this game. Castlevania was always a very iconic series with a strong sense of (it's own) style in asthetics, mechanics and music. This game, though, while quite ok or competent in what it's doing, is missing all of this. It ditched everything what was awesome about CV and replaced it with a generic mix of ideas they found in other videogames. Man, they even ripped of Portal.

Oh, and the framerate is horrible. Whoever thinks that this game has better combat is out of his mind.
I say you're out of your mind because you don't share my opinion. What do we do now, huh?

jett

D-Member
If there's one thing Lords of Shadow does is show potential for what could be a fantastic sequel. Who knows if that sequel will ever come though...

sphinx

the piano man
jett said:
If there's one thing Lords of Shadow does is show potential for what could be a fantastic sequel. Who knows if that sequel will ever come though...

I would buy said sequel the very moment it gets released. It is sad how they fucked up with downloadable content instead of a full, blown decent sequel.

Thrakier

Ledsen said:
I say you're out of your mind because you don't share my opinion. What do we do now, huh?

Nothing, it's fine with me. I do know the truth. ;)

I think it's really a pitty. I waited for those castle segmetns because everyone said "oh the game will be much better there" but TBH it was still the same game.

It's a offense to the CV franchise how they handled the music in this game. It really is. Looping the same five tracks over and over again without any relation to the level or emotional impact at all...that's not CV. Not at all. I'd really wish they could do a proper CV with this foundation. A game with a unique style and original ideas, iconic through and through.

Thrakier said:

I think the sense of style in aesthetics is just as strong here as with any other CV, and certainly more than any of the other 3D titles (which I'm guessing you're ignoring here). As far as mechanics I'm not sure how you can state that Castlevania was always a very iconic series (even ignoring the other 3D titles), most of the gameplay mechanics in the modern 2D CV's are taken straight from Metroid and RPG's. The only time the series was as iconic as you're trying to make it sound was back in the NES days, and there are simply too many games now for any one to stand out in a similar fashion, especially one that is using a license as common as the Castlevania one.

Personally I thought the aesthetics, music, and level design all helped make this game stand out from others in the genre, so I guess our opinions just differ there. Out of curiosity though, what generic game do you feel the aesthetics for LoS were taken from?

As far as the framerate goes I think horrible is a bit hyperbolic, there are a few dips here and there but the game was perfectly playable throughout, at least to me. I think my opinion on the combat has already been stated pretty clearly on this page, the system isn't as well polished as others but it more than makes up for it in other areas. This deserves re-quoting:

Kaijima said:

-Winnie-

Philanthropist said:
Sorry to quote myself. I just think this detail will get more appreciation here.

From the videogame facts thread:

Kwy5u.gif

Thrakier

The_Darkest_Red said:
I think the sense of style in aesthetics is just as strong here as with any other CV, and certainly more than any of the other 3D titles (which I'm guessing you're ignoring here).

I don't think so. I look at it and all I see is another 3D action game, a wild mix of different styles and asthetics and "worlds". It seems so random in many ways.

As far as mechanics I'm not sure how you can state that Castlevania was always a very iconic series (even ignoring the other 3D titles), most of the gameplay mechanics in the modern 2D CV's are taken straight from Metroid and RPG's. The only time the series was as iconic as you're trying to make it sound was back in the NES days, and there are simply too many games now for any one to stand out in a similar fashion, especially one that is using a license as common as the Castlevania one.

Yeah, I didn't go into details there, that's right. With iconic I meant basically: You looked at it and you knew it's CV. You played it and you knew it's CV. You HEARD it and you knew it's CV. Nothing of this is true for Lords of Shadow.

I played Lament of Innocence and the 2nd N64 CV. I remember both to be ok or good with a strong CV vibe. I only played Curse of Darkness for a couple of hours, it was pretty bad if I remember correctly.

Personally I thought the aesthetics, music, and level design all helped make this game stand out from others in the genre, so I guess our opinions just differ there. Out of curiosity though, what generic game do you feel the aesthetics for LoS were taken from?

Besides the Darkness/Light thing I thought there was nothing unique about the game. not one thing coming to my mind. The SOTC rip off battles were horrible. I didn't like the level design too much either. Platforming was boring and predictable, pacing was average at best.

So...whatever. It's an ok game, but it doesn't feel like CV and it's imo pretty forgetable. Liked the after credit ending. Does the DLC connect to it in some way? Is it worth the money?

diddles

Banned
i finally beat this p.o.s. (on hard). it got slightly less horrible when i figured out a little combo pattern or two that let me beat pretty much every stupid enemy without taking too many invisi-hits. still, didn't want to really play it, only finished it because i hate leaving games unfinished. it never got very fun.

there were some cool moments here and there, buried under tons of bad gameplay, bad story, bad pacing, bad game design, and other bad things. some good artwork also, i'll give it that. in the end, this game just doesn't belong. they shouldn't have tried to call it a castlevania game, because it isn't. last boss and the ending were stupid too. peace out!

Zeal

Banned
One of the funnest, most egrossing games I have played in years. Matter of fact, I will play this game every halloween as a ritual from now on.

Absolutely cannot wait to see what this amazing developer does with its inevitable sequel. This IS Castlevania now as far as I'm concerned.

sphinx

the piano man
Zeal said:
One of the funnest, most egrossing games I have played in years. Matter of fact, I will play this game every halloween as a ritual from now on.

Absolutely cannot wait to see what this amazing developer does with its inevitable sequel. This IS Castlevania now as far as I'm concerned.

it's pretty sad that we have no news about a proper sequel. A re-release with the DLC is long overdue as well.

Overall, I hated chapter 2 and felt like a chore but the last 40% or so of the game was soooooo enjoyable, I want more of that.

sphinx said:
it's pretty sad that we have no news about a proper sequel. A re-release with the DLC is long overdue as well.

Mercury Steam stated that they are working on something different, yet we should think about the kind of games they make. Neither confirms nor denies a sequel, but Konami is glad with LoS.

Thrakier

diddles said:
i finally beat this p.o.s. (on hard). it got slightly less horrible when i figured out a little combo pattern or two that let me beat pretty much every stupid enemy without taking too many invisi-hits. still, didn't want to really play it, only finished it because i hate leaving games unfinished. it never got very fun.

there were some cool moments here and there, buried under tons of bad gameplay, bad story, bad pacing, bad game design, and other bad things. some good artwork also, i'll give it that. in the end, this game just doesn't belong. they shouldn't have tried to call it a castlevania game, because it isn't. last boss and the ending were stupid too. peace out!

Zeal said:

lol, that's funny.

I tend to diddles though. It had potential but that's about it.

Foffy

Banned
Philanthropist said:
Mercury Steam stated that they are working on something different, yet we should think about the kind of games they make. Neither confirms nor denies a sequel, but Konami is glad with LoS.

The composer and a MS member have both made it very clear a sequel is planned. Konami hasn't said a word, but we knew of a LoS sequel almost a week after the game launched, thanks to the composer saying Konami wished for the next game to have less "feminine" music that the older games apparently have.

Maybe that's why LoS was composed by a male!

I finally finished the DLC tonight and was sorta let down. I absolutely adored the on-disc content, but the DLC was made up of frustrating platforming and an incredibly grating boss fight.

It basically took all the faults of LOS and put them at the forefront of the experience.

diddles

Banned

one other slightly positive thing i thought of, to add to this block of negativity, is the framerate at least does seem to improve in the later chapters.

Zeal said:

most gross games in years indeed.

i mean people can say anything, no matter how fringe/nutty, and they will, but this would be like telling a bunch of metroid fans that metroid other m is the new metroid as far as you're concerned. it's just batshit nuts. how could you want a game that's a bad clone/mashup of GoW and SotC to now represent a storied franchise like castlevania? that would be like cheering on the beetles for putting out an album that rips off linkin park and lady gaga and does a poor job of it (hmm guess that could be an insulting analogy to GoW and SotC but i'm goin with it)... but to each his own i guess, every game has to have a few fans.

MYE

I'll just say that i'm having alot of fun with LOS, while i and cant even muster up the will to finish GOW3.

That is all.

Ledsen

Zeal said:

Seconded. Such an amazing game in all respects (save framerate). One of my absolute favorites last year, I constantly had fun with it and never got bored.

Late to the party, obviously.

This game has insane production values: top-notch graphics and great voice work abound. Combat system is great so far, and I can certainly see the opportunity for combo customization in the future. Only downside thus far is invisible walls, but hey, whatever.

Resilient

OH MY FUCKING GOD

This game was fucking amazing, holy shit holy shit holy shit. I could not stop playing this. I finally got around to it after having it sit in my backlog for the nearly the better part of a year. WOW. There were parts were I was audibly losing my shit. This happened mainly at the
Vampire Queen boss fight
OH MY GOD, THAT SHIT WAS INSANE. I was going nuts. I WAS SERIOUSLY GOING CRAZY!!! I MEAN JESUS CHRIST
that part where you stab her in the heart with THE GOD DAMN FUCKING TOWER, WHAT!??
. Bear in mind I've only very briefly played God of War, I found this setting and this style of art way more interesting - that's just my opinion however. Man, just wow. There is so much to do in this game, the combat system is deep, the controls are tight, not once did I get frustrated at this game or die because of poor game design. It was absolutely great throughout. EVERYBODY MUST PLAY THIS GAME, a massive sleeper hit. And the ending was really depressing too.
The ending in the city I'm still a bit confused about though :lol

Damn!!!! This game was absolutely amazing.

EDIT: I know I sound like a prepubescent teenage boy in this post, but I just found this game a whole lot of fun. Good old fashioned fun! :D

bluebird said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD

This game was fucking amazing, holy shit holy shit holy shit. I could not stop playing this. I finally got around to it after having it sit in my backlog for the nearly the better part of a year. WOW. There were parts were I was audibly losing my shit. This happened mainly at the
Vampire Queen boss fight
OH MY GOD, THAT SHIT WAS INSANE. I was going nuts. I WAS SERIOUSLY GOING CRAZY!!! I MEAN JESUS CHRIST
that part where you stab her in the heart with THE GOD DAMN FUCKING TOWER, WHAT!??
. Bear in mind I've only very briefly played God of War, I found this setting and this style of art way more interesting - that's just my opinion however. Man, just wow. There is so much to do in this game, the combat system is deep, the controls are tight, not once did I get frustrated at this game or die because of poor game design. It was absolutely great throughout. EVERYBODY MUST PLAY THIS GAME, a massive sleeper hit. And the ending was really depressing too.
The ending in the city I'm still a bit confused about though :lol

Damn!!!! This game was absolutely amazing.

EDIT: I know I sound like a prepubescent teenage boy in this post, but I just found this game a whole lot of fun. Good old fashioned fun! :D
The only problem with that fight was how easy it was compared to the earlier LOS (Same problem I had with the final boss).

Tizoc

Platinum'd this game a few weeks ago.
Felt good man X3
Overall I really liked this game, never had a frame issue when playing, everything was smooth and beautiful.

Say the DLCs get sold at a discounted price, are they worth getting?

Fantasmo

Tizoc said:
Platinum'd this game a few weeks ago.
Felt good man X3
Overall I really liked this game, never had a frame issue when playing, everything was smooth and beautiful.

Say the DLCs get sold at a discounted price, are they worth getting?
They're awful. Its 1 or 2 hours total for both, depending on how much you die. It'd be like paying $20 for two more of the worst levels in a game. Watch them on Youtube. Save your money and thank me later.

Tizoc

junkster said:
They're awful. Its 1 or 2 hours total for both, depending on how much you die. It'd be like paying $20 for two more of the worst levels in a game. Watch them on Youtube. Save your money and thank me later.
I'll thank you now and go watch them on YT =)
Though TBH 2 hours total for them doesn't sound so bad, but what the hey.

I only bought the first DLC and didn't bother finishing it. Aboslute crap, which was REALLY disappointing considering how good the actual game is.

Hope there is a sequel to LoS soon!

Top Bottom