• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Ledsen

Tizoc said:
Platinum'd this game a few weeks ago.
Felt good man X3
Overall I really liked this game, never had a frame issue when playing, everything was smooth and beautiful.

Say the DLCs get sold at a discounted price, are they worth getting?

It wasn't smooth and beautiful, you're just completely blind to low framerates and have no standards. Nothing wrong with that.

Tizoc

Ledsen said:
It wasn't smooth and beautiful, you're just completely blind to low framerates and have no standards. Nothing wrong with that.
Hmm what do you mean by low framerates?

Tizoc

Combichristoffersen said:
It runs at something like ~25 fps on PS3, and the 360 version is supposedly even worse.
Oh I see, well I played the PS3 version and well the framerate just didn't seem that bad ^_^;

Ledsen

Tizoc said:
Oh I see, well I played the PS3 version and well the framerate just didn't seem that bad ^_^;

It didn't me that much and I still loved the game, but god the framerate is atrocious. Hope they fix for the (inevitable?) sequel.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Honestly, I'd rather deal with the framerate issues any day than have to deal with that damn shaky camera. Never before has a game made me motion sick like this one.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Neither the camera nor the fps bothered me much (I have the PS3 version), but I just didn't find the game to be all that fun, so I just gave up on it at chapter 4 or something. I should go back to it to see if it gets better further into the game.

Edit: The only time the camera annoyed me was during the fight with the ice titan.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Combichristoffersen said:
Neither the camera nor the fps bothered me much (I have the PS3 version), but I just didn't find the game to be all that fun, so I just gave up on it at chapter 4 or something. I should go back to it to see if it gets better further into the game.
That's about the part that it started picking up IIRC. Once you get past the marsh level, your abilities start to level up more. The framerate was all over the place on PS3, but most of the time it was good. The camera never stops moving though. Even if you stop and just stand there, it still shakes. I wish there was a way to turn that off, it's just nauseating to me and completely unnecessary imo especially considering it's in a fixed position.

Thrakier

Grisby said:

Not the tracks per se. The problem was a) they weren't fitting CV at all an b) they were basically on repeat all the time which was highly annoying and destroyed a good chunk of the atmosphere. It wasn't like the music was part of the game, more like it was custom soundtrack playing along.

Tizoc

Watched gameplay vids of Reverie but up til Ch. 13-2. The 2nd part of the DLC didn't seem that bad, then again the guy playing didn't die a lot.
Those chainsaws do look annoying though.

LQX

Odd question but how do you end a game? Also how do you know its saving outside of the level completing? There is no quitting and save feature and I only see go tow world map. Just turn off my PS3?

Just not very apparent and want to make sure before getting deep into a game.

THANKS Henchmen21.

LQX said:
Odd question but how do you end a game? Also how do you know its saving outside of the level completing? There is no quitting and save feature and I only see go tow world map. Just turn off my PS3?

Just not very apparent and want to make sure before getting deep into a game.
Just turn off your PS3. It auto saves after each level and/or you change settings in options.

kvn

A little late to the party, I know, but I just finished this thing. Art-direction, music and voice work were incredible in my opinion.
Game design and story though...I'm still not sure what to think of it and I don't even know where to start.
I liked the fighting mechanics, there was a certain feel of depth to it and fighting was fun. But the platforming parts were mostly absolutely atrocious and horrible. Some of the fucking patterns were just silly. Also the stupid magic circles or whatever you had to pass in order to grab
Satan
wtf I almost destroyed my gamepad. Maybe I'm just too dumb, I don't know.
Plot-wise...also not quite sure. Overall I liked the story - the voice actors helped and did an incredibly good job - but the end had a whole lot of "wtf...wat?" moments including
Zobek
and his speech followed by
his death (lol)
Overall I'm not sure about this game but would appreciate a sequel :)

jonno394

Just started this game after buying it a few weeks back after seeing some exceptional images in the "awe inspiring moments in video games" thread or one of the other similar threads that popped up around that time.

Got to the mid point of Chapter Two and so far i'm loving the sound track and art direction. I really would love a nice hard cover artbook for this game.

-Winnie-

Thrakier said:
Not the tracks per se. The problem was a) they weren't fitting CV at all an b) they were basically on repeat all the time which was highly annoying and destroyed a good chunk of the atmosphere. It wasn't like the music was part of the game, more like it was custom soundtrack playing along.

Not fitting classic Castlevania, or the reboot? I felt the soundtrack complimented Lords of Shadow beautifully.

Abylim

Finally beat it on Paladin, did a few trials. But thats it for me, not going to bother trying to do the titan trails etc.
Paladin was pretty frustrating, really brought the flaws of the game to the front.
I like it alot, i just think there is a lot they could have done to make it awesome.

LQX

Just finished it today. Awesome game. Great voice work, graphics and controls. Game just felt right though I wished they had implemented a level system rather than points to buy moves which were too many to learn and often worthless.

Also all those puzzles at the end were annoying. That chess like game you play with the girl though was great outside of her seemingly having many more turns.

Overall it has some Castlevania throwbacks but Konami really could have had another IP unrelated to Castlevania that stood on its own. Great game and I hope it gets a sequel that actually picks up from what we saw at the end.

Going for the trials now; completed through Chapter 4.

Nothing too hard yet. The Titan battles were more frustrating than challenging, and I beat the Stone Titan on my second try. Some of the later trials look pretty annoying though, so I'll take it easy for now and play in spurts.

rozay

Banned
As someone who bought the collectors edition and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the game, I have to say that both of the DLCs were an incredibly poor value and not at all worth $20. There wasn't anything wrong with Reverie length-wise but the lack of new enemies or a boss fight is pretty disappointing. Resurrection seemed absolutely terrible for the price, literally just 2 different boss fights and some climbing. No new abilities also sucked.

I honestly don't know if I'd even grab them on an XBL sale. Serious misstep by the team.

Sydle

Just started chapter 7 and loving it. Sad to read the DLC sucks.

LQX said:
Just finished it today. Awesome game. Great voice work, graphics and controls. Game just felt right though I wished they had implemented a level system rather than points to buy moves which were too many to learn and often worthless.

Also all those puzzles at the end were annoying. That chess like game you play with the girl though was great outside of her seemingly having many more turns.

Overall it has some Castlevania throwbacks but Konami really could have had another IP unrelated to Castlevania that stood on its own. Great game and I hope it gets a sequel that actually picks up from what we saw at the end.

Someone didn't read the rules.

Well, all trials completed; that certainly didn't take long.

Really, nothing was overly difficult or truly frustrating. If I had to rank the most time-consuming, I would say:

#1: Oblivion Lake - Ice Titan
#2: Castle Hall - Vampire Wargame

Otherwise, the other trials took no more than 5 tries at the most. All I have left until the Platinum is to beat 80% of the levels on Paladin, and find the rest of the gems (~8). I should probably have this done by sometime next week. Great game!

...talking to myself here (LTTP, I know).

Platinum-get!

I really had fun with Castlevania, and it's the shake-up that the series needed. The battle system was loads of fun, and I surprised myself by using about 60-70% of the move-set regularly. Granted, the game became a joke once Ultimate Light/Shadow were obtained, so my Paladin run was actually easier than lower difficulties.

I thought the game had a great story, undermined by some of the worst dialogue I have ever listened to. For example, before fighting Olrox, Patrick Stewart's narration was something along the lines of "blah blah blah, his name is Olrox". The dialogue was so unnatural and forced I had to laugh, and that's not the only time. What a waste of talent.

Oh well, I could look past it. Too bad I hear that the DLC is pretty much worthless. I'd pick them both up for $10 in the future, but $10 each seems like a crime. I really wonder how they're going to follow this one up, if they choose to do so at all.

NeoUltima

SabinFigaro said:
I thought the game had a great story, undermined by some of the worst dialogue I have ever listened to. For example, before fighting Olrox, Patrick Stewart's narration was something along the lines of "blah blah blah, his name is Olrox". The dialogue was so unnatural and forced I had to laugh, and that's not the only time. What a waste of talent.
Lol yeah. Some of the writing seems like it was done by a 6th grader.

jonno394

Just started Chapter 4, the visuals the setting and the atmosphere of the Fortress are just great, the scene where You smash down the gate while on a troll and the following trolls look in at where you are and back off away in fear was brilliant!

Victrix

*beard*
Couple queries

Does anyone know where I can find the concept art from the game in high res? I reallllly want some of it for desktop wallpapers, its beautiful.

Is the OST available for purchase anywhere? I wants it.

Victrix said:
Couple queries

Does anyone know where I can find the concept art from the game in high res? I reallllly want some of it for desktop wallpapers, its beautiful.

Not sure where you can find concept art outside of maybe fan pages.

As for OST, it was only sold with the LE, so no single release.

Wallachia

Victrix said:
Couple queries

There was a link to the art, at the CV Dungen.. I forget where though. But its' out there online somewhere.

Card Boy

Banned
I got this from a bargain bin for $21AUD (cheap by Aussie standards).

The DLC is half price on the PSN, is it worth it? How many hours of gameplay does it add?

rozay

Banned

The DLC is half price on the PSN, is it worth it? How many hours of gameplay does it add?
As someone who bought the collector's edition and loved the game, save your money and watch the DLC chapters on youtube. How much are they?

burgerdog

Don't buy the DLC, it is absolutely horrible. You could finish both of them in one hour. 30 minutes each if you don't factor retry attempts.

Card Boy

Banned
As someone who bought the collector's edition and loved the game, save your money and watch the DLC chapters on youtube. How much are they?

8.45 and 6.45 or something over here, thats what their half price values are.

I guess i will skip then.

Zeal

Banned
This is one of the greatest games of all time. Never have I been this drawn into a game.

Lords of Shadow and Dark Souls = games of the year in my book.

Cannot wait for the sequel to be announced.

7threst

Definitely a great game! Next to the game itself I also really like the voiceacting and the soundtrack which feels really epic. I just wish they would release the music track that's playing in the announcement trailer. The overall theme of that song is recurring throughout the soundtrack of the game but the particular version of the song in the announcement trailer isn't on the soundtrack :(

Minamu

Are there any special youtube vids in good quality that show everything in the DLC? I mean, any specific ones that are recommended?

rozay

Banned
Are there any special youtube vids in good quality that show everything in the DLC? I mean, any specific ones that are recommended?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtOSJjdIgyk he's got both DLCs recorded in HD.

There really isn't much new, though it's an interesting watch at least. First DLC is a lot of platforming that takes place underneath the castle, only 1 new enemy. The second DLC is a single horribly difficult boss fight spread across 2 incredibly short chapters with small platforming bits inbetween. I would've at least expected some new enemies to fight along with new abilities that relate to what happens to Gabriel. There's probably less than 3 hours of content in both including all the times you will die against the final boss.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The more I watch the first DLC video the more I actually think it's cool and worth it. I'm way too far gone now to go back to the game, but it was GOTY calibur to me. Now I wish I tried the DLC. Oh well. I wonder why they haven't shown the sequel yet?

Grisby

The more I watch the first DLC video the more I actually think it's cool and worth it. I'm way too far gone now to go back to the game, but it was GOTY calibur to me. Now I wish I tried the DLC. Oh well. I wonder why they haven't shown the sequel yet?

I don't know. I imagine it takes a long time to put something like this out. I mean, it was a long game and it had a ton of art. I was constantly amazed at seeing all of the new scenery.

Top Bottom