• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Can't believe the game is almost here, can't wait. :D

Nicely done OP, like the transparency effects.
Maybe should update it with photos of the EU and JP Collector's Editions as they differ slightly.

bad-joey said:
Why is the Limited Edition boxart so much better than the standard one :-(
I don't need the extra stuff but love the cover. Grr Konami, making me buy the Limited version

The artwork in the OP (first image next to logo) would have been perfect for the CE boxart...

LowParry

<---HYPE

Here's some other avatars if anyone wants to pick them up. Host them yourself when you can. :D

9j2gyg.jpg
2eplw6s.jpg
24zzrc4.jpg
339sztd.jpg
jkxh0w.jpg
2eakwb4.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I want this so bad. The only thing that really concerns me still is the music. They say they're inspired by the haunting melodic tunes of the originals but I haven't heard it in what's been shown so far. It seems like a pretty standard "epic" orchestral score with a serious overuse of choral music. I hope there is a lot of stylistic variety, because that is a big part of why the original music was so memorable.

Kaldea

Preordered the special edition on Amazon. :D

I'm also surprised it's so close to release. Can barely wait another week!

Phenomic

Soo many good Avatars I need to get one that screams me sadly the first one that was taken struck me as the one that shined the best. :lol I would totally grab a Gabriel Avatar but then if I hate him as a character when I play the game I'm going to be a sad panda.

Phenomic said:
I would totally grab a Gabriel Avatar but then if I hate him as a character when I play the game I'm going to be a sad panda.

He's a Belmont voiced by Robert Carlyle. You will not hate him. :lol

LowParry

Phenomic said:
Soo many good Avatars I need to get one that screams me sadly the first one that was taken struck me as the one that shined the best. :lol I would totally grab a Gabriel Avatar but then if I hate him as a character when I play the game I'm going to be a sad panda.

Find me a pic that no one else is using and pm me. I'll see what I can do to avatar it.

DryvBy

Pre-ordered mine months ago; and putting the $20 towards either Gran Turismo 5 or Fallout New Vegas.

Thanks for the screens, too. Fall is the best season even, and then gothic settings are gonna rock.

Phenomic

brandonh83 said:
He's a Belmont voiced by Robert Carlyle. You will not hate him. :lol

No I know you're totally right, David Cox seems to know exactly what's going on and with Kojima's help I'm not worried. I'm weird with picking an avatar though it's gotta be all or nothing. Despite the fact that I could change it later. :lol

Edit*
CcrooK said:
Find me a pic that no one else is using and pm me. I'll see what I can do to avatar it.

Heh thanks for the offer but picking one picture is insane for me to do for some reason, damn OCD.

is there a better look at the limited edition? does it have a proper case or do they store the games in the book? i have a blu-ray movie like that and it stinks, but having a castlevania book is cool.

Vrakanox

It's so cool having everyone switching to Castlevania avatars. I'm starting to feel at home here :). The guy with the Raiden avatar can stick with that though, that's a badass avatar!

LaneDS

Chairhome said:
was the TGS trailer with the SCIV music ever put up online?

I'd like to know this as well.

I have come to really like the music in the game we've heard so far, even if it's pretty different than what I expected or hoped for. The main theme is pretty fantastic.

Phenomic

CcrooK said:
I still remember the first time we saw Lords of Shadow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQSZ_qzVW0

I don't think anyone put Castlevania as a title though it was a working title. But seeing for what it is now, it could of certainly been labeled Castlevania.

I remember seeing this, back I think at TGS in 07 or 08 was it? It was intriguing because I thought it kinda reminded me of Castlevania but ended up just writing it off as a new IP because we never got confirmation until the next year.

Chairhome

Sn4ke_911 said:
According to the author of the video, its not official music.
youtube said:
So, a little while back I posted my arrangement of the amazing and epic score to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow's trailer. It made its way onto youtube, with several viewers believing it to be music from the actual game! It was even played during one of Gametrailers.com videos!

I found it very flattering to have people post my music on Youtube, so I thought it would be a good idea to post the finished version of the piece. The previous version you have all heard was incomplete and missing an entire section!

So, hope you all enjoy this. I'll have an mp3 available for download very soon, I promise you.

Cheers,
- Geoffrey Gunn

I'm considering picking this up. I'm inclined to get the LE, but I'm not sure there's really any reason to for me.

But I am considering this game.. I've only seen the initial trailer, though it did grab my interest.

Simo

Awesome, awesome epic thread! Got my LE preordered and ready!

CcrooK said:
Are we suppose to be getting a new gameplay trailer tomorrow or later this week? Thought I read that back on the other thread. The one that's suppose to be narrated by Isaacs.

Yep. Tomorrow the press embargo ends too so we'll be getting a flood of new screens and videos.

Simo said:
Yep. Tomorrow the press embargo ends too so we'll be getting a flood of new screens and videos.

Yeah, I'm dreading tomorrow with every fabric of my being. More God of War comparisons, not Castlevania enough, demo being combat-only will leave the impression that it is nothing but a GOW clone, etc.

But then again, we could get more great reviews and positive demo impressions regardless. Time will tell! Needless to say, tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day for this game :lol

Simo

brandonh83 said:
Yeah, I'm dreading tomorrow with every fabric of my being. More God of War comparisons, not Castlevania enough, demo being combat-only will leave the impression that it is nothing but a GOW clone, etc.

But then again, we could get more great reviews and positive demo impressions regardless. Time will tell! Needless to say, tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day for this game :lol

Eh, chalk me up as one being in the new camp. I've never played a Castlevania title, though I've always wanted to check out Symphony of the Night, but I've been excited for LoS ever since the debut trailer and each piece of footage they released or CAM footage posted just builded upon that and I can't believe it's only a week away. :D

Denzar

So, I'm very interested in this game, even though I'm not a big Castlevania fan.

I have one question though... I there some version of the Castlevania theme in this game?

No theme, no buy.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Simo said:
Eh, chalk me up as one being in the new camp. I've never played a Castlevania title, though I've always wanted to check out Symphony of the Night, but I've been excited for LoS ever since the debut trailer and each piece of footage they released or CAM footage posted just builded upon that and I can't believe it's only a week away. :D

102jfps.png

wat

Foffy

Banned
James Woods said:
Are the PS2 entries any good?

Decent combat, pretty good VA, amazing music....AWFUL, AWFULLLLL level design.

It's literally a 2D game just seen in 3D. There's nothing done to give it life in a 3D space.

LaneDS

James Woods said:

The soundtracks to both titles are still some of my favorite gaming music. Lament is really basic gameplay wise, but still kind of fun. That said, there are a lot better CV games to play and honestly much better 3D action-adventure titles out there more deserving of your time. That and I think the story in Lament is a terrible waste of time.

Didn't really care for Curse outside of the music.

Simo said:

even if you don't get around to playing them, you should at least check out some playthrough videos of the earlier titles on Youtube, particularly the original and Castlevania IV, as its been said that this title takes inspiration from those two mostly. Plus you can be introduced to some seriously amazing music and levels with a surprising amount of atmosphere to them despite being 8-bit. that's what I love most about CV, is the atmosphere, when I was a kid playing the NES titles they were so spooky and interesting to me so if this new one at least does that, I'll be really happy.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
James Woods said:
Great OP. It looks like a lot of time was spent on it and it shows.

As for the PS2 entries, some people like them, some don't. I'm playing thru LoI right now and I think it's a good game. It's pretty much a straight up action game. All you have is your whip and sub weapons, but they can all be upgraded. The story was well told and this was supposed to be the origins of the Belmonts. CoD was a big step in bringing SoTN to 3D imo. I thought the gameplay was good, the action was faster IIRC. The story was setting the series up for a new direction. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the release of LoS. I really like the IGA games, but there's no doubt they were flawed. Not nearly as bad as a game like Metroid: Other M though. They're definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the series, but at this point they might be retconned.

Top Bottom