• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

jett

D-Member
CaptYamato said:
Does this game take place in the traditional timeline?

This is a reboot. The "timeline" has been thrown out of the window. Lords of Shadow is essentially an origin story for Castlevania.

jett said:
This is a reboot. The "timeline" has been thrown out of the window. Lords of Shadow is essentially an origin story for Castlevania.
Awesome. I don't want to feel lost since I haven't played CV in years.

LaneDS

I'm curious if the world it takes place in is supposed to be earth or some random fantasy world... anyone hear anything about that? I'm hoping Castlevania is still (a) Dracula's home and (b) in Transylvania. But I have a feeling it isn't.

Created my British alter ego, Nigel Sneedwell, from 123 pudding lane, and got my copy of the demo going :lol

Digging it so far, but holy crap do I suck at it. I can't beat that first big wolf thing and I'm on the regular difficulty setting. I was never good at these dmc/gow type games, but i'm gonna hang with it and see if I can improve.

LowParry

Can't you see the hype in Simon's expression? :lol

2hd9xcm.jpg

Teknoman

LaneDS said:
I'm curious if the world it takes place in is supposed to be earth or some random fantasy world... anyone hear anything about that? I'm hoping Castlevania is still (a) Dracula's home and (b) in Transylvania. But I have a feeling it isn't.

Its Earth. Year is 1022 A.D.

theinfinityissue said:
Created my British alter ego, Nigel Sneedwell, from 123 pudding lane, and got my copy of the demo going :lol

Digging it so far, but holy crap do I suck at it. I can't beat that first big wolf thing and I'm on the regular difficulty setting. I was never good at these dmc/gow type games, but i'm gonna hang with it and see if I can improve.

Just stay in its face and alternate blocking and dodging. Only block for close swipes, dodge when it looks like it's powering up. Embed daggers in it's face for good measure (Monster section of the journal shows subitem weakness).

EDIT: Cool wallpaper with Richter, from Orioto's HD wallpaper thread -

http://i56.tinypic.com/zkh5xc.jpg

Wonder why there arent any official wallpapers for the game...those backgrounds at the official site would've been perfect.

Spike

hey_it's_that_dog said:
However, I did notice that it made my eyes feel weird a couple of times,

Yes, this! I didn't sleep much last night, so when I tried the demo early this morning, I thought it was from the lack of sleep. Then I tried it again this evening after taking a nap, and the same thing happened.

Teknoman said:
Just stay in its face and alternate blocking and dodging. Only block for close swipes, dodge when it looks like it's powering up. Embed daggers in it's face for good measure (Monster section of the journal shows subitem weakness).

EDIT: Cool wallpaper with Richter, from Orioto's HD wallpaper thread -

http://i56.tinypic.com/zkh5xc.jpg

Wonder why there arent any official wallpapers for the game...those backgrounds at the official site would've been perfect.

Completely forgot about the bestiary. Yeah, the big warg actually killed me a few times my first time through the demo. Kept trying to block at the right moment ala Bayonetta/Metroid Other M style.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
AgentOtaku said:
Completely forgot about the bestiary. Yeah, the big warg actually killed me a few times my first time through the demo. Kept trying to block at the right moment ala Bayonetta/Metroid Other M style.

Unfortunately, it seems like the game doesn't allow you to performs certain moves (like the timed blocking) until it decides to tell you how to do them.

Wow, demo was great. I don't get the complaints that the atmosphere doesn't feel like Castlevania. The wolves in the rain took me back to when I was playing Castlevania 64 back in the day.

Which is a good thing, haters.

guilty pleasure

WickedLaharl said:
if the cutscenes are real time then i wonder what they used bink video for?

devs really need to stop using that shit.

I don't think the cutscenes are real time. At the very least they use different models. The model for the woman in the cutscene is much better than her ghostly one in-game.

JohngPR

WickedLaharl said:
well there must be something they used it on.

my guess would be the ending.

My guess is either that, or perhaps the sections where it shows a caricature of Gabriel previewing the moves you can purchase.

luka said:
Unfortunately, it seems like the game doesn't allow you to performs certain moves (like the timed blocking) until it decides to tell you how to do them.

Yeah, kinda annoying. Gonna take another poster's advice and just farm the forest part, die, then reload to keep practicing at the combat, because yeah, it's kinda different than what you'd expect and I love that.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Emailed Amazon about changing the platform from 360 to the PS3. Hopefully they can switch it without me having to cancel the order and lose my $20 credit. It seems that the PS3 version is the way to go this time around.

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah, kinda annoying. Gonna take another poster's advice and just farm the forest part, die, then reload to keep practicing at the combat, because yeah, it's kinda different than what you'd expect and I love that.

Yeah, thats probably the best place to practice since everything is unlocked there.

Loved the demo. My biggest gripe would be this: Why didn't they have at least some platforming in it.

Graphics are phenomenal. The rain effects are the best I have seen in any game. Combat is strange. Feels like GOW but only to an extent. Gabe has less weight to him. Really wish the camera wasn't fixed but it doesn't take away from the demo. Can't wait for next week.

I fell in love with the artwork inside the book during epilogue of the demo. Best artwork I have ever seen. They should release an artbook (not the small ones they gave with CE). I'd surely grab that

Fox1304

Spike said:
Yes, this! I didn't sleep much last night, so when I tried the demo early this morning, I thought it was from the lack of sleep. Then I tried it again this evening after taking a nap, and the same thing happened.

I think that it's provoked by the rain drops falling on the camera. Felt weird for me, thought my TV had black marks on it :s

Guts Of Thor said:
Emailed Amazon about changing the platform from 360 to the PS3. Hopefully they can switch it without me having to cancel the order and lose my $20 credit. It seems that the PS3 version is the way to go this time around.
OK I guess it's a good thing I picked the PS3 LE before the credit deal disappeared then..

20048442yu.gif

~Kinggi~ said:
Wow, i had no idea Mercury Steam made Clive Barkers Jericho. I actually got the game real cheap but havent played it yet. THis is certainly a giant step up for them. Actually im surprised they were still in business to make this, or even got the job after Jericho based on the reviews.

Also, many of the members of the team come from "Rebel Act Studios", the creators of the great "Severance, blade of darkness". So, no doubt the combat and combot system has good roots.

Hoping for a announcment on the CE for the UK soon. I know it won't hit them sales wise hard but I know a couple of people waiting on it til they buy. Rather a shame we haven't heard anything about it.

Sevket-Erhat said:
I fell in love with the artwork inside the book during epilogue of the demo. Best artwork I have ever seen. They should release an artbook (not the small ones they gave with CE). I'd surely grab that

Hopefully if this does well and enough fans demand it, they could put one out in the future like Darksiders, Resident Evil 5, Monster Hunter, etc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Stampy said:
Did anyone have issue with the sound quality in the PS3 demo being somewhat shallow?

On the PS3? The 5.1 was full and booming to me.

Tokubetsu said:
Am I the only one stuck with the 360 verison? :lol

I'd lose my store credit when switching to the PS3 version. I could live with a slightly worse framerate but this freezing issue is going to annoy me.

Someone with a Twitter account should ask David Cox if there's ever going to be a patch for the 360 version.

Tokubetsu

Fortinbras said:
I'd lose my store credit when switching to the PS3 version. I could live with a slightly worse framerate but this freezing issue is going to annoy me.

Someone with a Twitter account should ask David Cox if there's ever going to be a patch for the 360 version.

There's a freezing issue now? Great!

Vitet

Baloonatic said:
I enjoyed the demo mostly. Why on earth isn't dodge on the right stick :(

I only played PSP GoW, but seems a lot of people demand this because GoW 1-3.
Personally I found this pretty dumb too. An analog control for somewhat I need to be quick and responsive, and right analog can be reserved for something more... "analog" :lol

OK I just played the demo.

HO HO HO HO HOLY SHIT.

It's the exact same demo as E3, but without the hustle and bustle going on around me I could take the time to appreciate it, plus I could actually hear the audio. All yearly best game music awards may as well go to this game now. Wow, this music would be standout music even among big budget movies, that's how good this fucking music is. Yeah it's a bit more orchestral than we are used to with Castlevania music but I don't give a shit.

Also, taking the time to understand the game's mechanics I can now appreciate the gameplay, it's way better than I thought it was during my short E3 playthrough. The story seems well put together and I'm guessing Jason Isaacs is Dracula. I can't fucking WAIT for next Tuesday now. Anyone saying that it's this year's Arkham is probably selling it a bit too short. I am so pumped for this game now.

Stampy said:
Did anyone have issue with the sound quality in the PS3 demo being somewhat shallow?
haha no.

5.1 setup with HDMI receiver here (LPCM audio, not lossy dolby digital) with good speaker set.

This game sounds AWESOME. Almost as good as MGS4 does, and that's high praise.

Top Bottom