• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

mintylurb

dark10x said:
Most of the cutscenes in the demo were realtime.

The first part of the "sitting by the fire" cutscenes with the vision of his wife was a video and the very very end of the demo (when it transitions to a book) was also a video. The rest was realtime.
Thought that was realtime as well since you could see some jaggies around gab's nose.

Jtyettis said:
You mean the one mentioned in the IGN review because that is a design and for both although they don't make that clear;

Though I agree they should patch it up as I'm inclined to push it off otherwise. Though if the demo had come this week I could decide if it was bearable or not. Hate blind buying something like this.

Hmm perhaps there is hope yet;

David Cox Twitter;

Suppose I'll keep my pre-order based on this and I hope it is true. Rather not give up that $20 anyways.
Why not just try the ps3 demo to see if it bothers you. I wouldn't even call it a pause or freeze..it feels more like a slowdown.

Synless

dark10x said:
Is it wrong to see that and assume that it can't be true? PS3 ports these days almost always run slower on PS3. To find the opposite is surprising especially when talking about such a graphically impressive title. This game looks good enough to the point where I'd believe it was made specifically as a single platform game. It's first party quality for sure.

I'd like to know how certain effects are achieved. The motion blur, for instance, interests me. Aside from a couple of Sony games (UC2 and GOW3) and Crysis, this is the best looking motion blur I've seen in any game to date. I'd like to know what it took for them to implement that. It made early footage seem pre-rendered so I was quite surprised to discover that all of that was realtime. I wonder if they are using the SPUs on PS3 to handle some of those tasks. I feel that such quality blur would kill the RSX.
Well, the PS3 version isn't a port, its the lead platform.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I just played the demo and.. I'm actually a bit disappointed. It's not really bad, but.. eh, I didn't like the combat anywhere near as much as in the God of War games, and having the evade button on L2 rather than the right analogue stick sort of irks me. The graphics are pretty good though (although obviously not as good as God of War 3), and I really liked the music (reminded me of Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings score). I've gone from day 1 purchase to maybe getting it after a price drop. In the meantime, I'll just get by with God of War: Ghost of Sparta.

FrankT

WickedLaharl said:
well i hope he's telling the truth!

Rejoices. I can deal with some of these reviews(well most of them are 8+ anyway), but the technicals need to be up to par. Good to hear.

Synless

RavenFox said:
I can't believe he didn't know that. Or does he know and we're reading it wrong? First three sentences are just weird.
I was wondering if we were reading it wrong too, but I don't think we are.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Synless said:
I was wondering if we were reading it wrong too, but I don't think we are.
Actually, I mistakenly used the word "port". I guess I had read the PS3 version was the lead platform for this game, but was not 100% certain.

I was simply saying that it is surprising to hear that the PS3 version (even as the lead) of a particular multiplatform game has ended up running better than the 360 version. There have been some cases where leading on PS3 still didn't prevent the 360 version from delivering superior results (Ghostbusters is a good example).

burgerdog

dark10x said:
Actually, I mistakenly used the word "port". I guess I had read the PS3 version was the lead platform for this game, but was not 100% certain.

I was simply saying that it is surprising to hear that the PS3 version (even as the lead) of a particular multiplatform game has ended up running better than the 360 version. There have been some cases where leading on PS3 still didn't prevent the 360 version from delivering superior results (Ghostbusters is a good example).

Deathspank was created using Phyre Engine(isn't this an engine sony developed?) and it runs better on 360, too. Tears on ps3, vsynced on 360.

Synless

dark10x said:

Ghostbusters as I understand, is the only exception were the 360 version still ran better when PS3 was the lead. It's the exception to the rule. I don't think we will ever see that again.

RavenFox

Banned
Synless said:
Ghostbusters as I understand, is the only exception were the 360 version still ran better when PS3 was the lead. It's the exception to the rule. I don't think we will ever see that again.
Was going to post something similar. Ghostbusters seem to always come up. We have Vanquish and now Castlevania. Let's move on already.

owlbeak

Demo was awesome! AWESOME. Beautiful in every way, except for the light cycle horse. :lol

Wonder if the 360 version will have Anti-Aliasing, cause the PS3 needs it desperately!!

RavenFox

Banned
Horsebite said:
Demo was awesome! AWESOME. Beautiful in every way, except for the light cycle horse. :lol

Wonder if the 360 version will have Anti-Aliasing, cause the PS3 needs it desperately!!
E3 demo.

Synless

RavenFox said:
Was going to post something similar. Ghostbusters seem to always come up. We have Vanquish and now Castlevania. Let's move on already.
Agreed, that said I just played the demo and my God is it glorious!!!!! The graphics are amazing, and the music epic!!! Day 1!!!

Hydrargyrus said:
What did you expect?

You'll never see something like:
"Oh yes, all those problems are still there" :lol :lol

But you would see the "it's a feature not a bug" excuse if it were still in the retail release.

Jtyettis said:
PS3 has the better framerate based on review build though David Cox says the 360 FR issues are not in the retail version.

Camera seems to be coming up a lot. Is it really that a big of an issue? I hope it feels right.

Well, did you like GOW3's camera. It's fixed as well.

burgerdog

RavenFox said:
Hey bugerdog that pic is to small.
Oh? Sorry. I'm posting from my iPhone so I have no idea how it looks on desktop monitors. I'll fix it later.

edit
Just turned on the laptop to check and what the fuck, fixing asap.

RavenFox

Banned
burgerdog said:
Oh? Sorry. I'm posting from my iPhone so I have no idea how it looks on desktop monitors. I'll fix it later.

edit
Just turned on the laptop to check and what the fuck, fixing asap.
:lol

KZObsessed

Just tried the PS3 demo and wow impressed. Visuals are just amazing, the motion blur as well is beautiful. Combat was simple but enjoyable. The rolling with L2 worked great as well. Camera can be annoying when enemies are below you, needs to pan out a little bit.

Best of all lots of Patrick Stewart <3

Don't know if I'll get it day 1 but I definitely will buy it.

Just played through the demo a couple of times and I absolutely love it. The atmosphere is just phenomenal and for me that's really important in a game. Will definitely be picking this up once its released.

By the way, I never spent too much time with previous castlevania games, so I had no preconceived notions about what a castlevania game should look / play like.

burgerdog

somesayyea said:
By the way, I never spent too much time with previous castlevania games, so I had no preconceived notions about what a castlevania game should look / play like.

Likewise, I've only played SotN and CV:HoD. I'm interested because it looks like a good name, don't care much for the name/series.

f@luS

More than a member.
Jtyettis said:
PS3 has the better framerate based on review build though David Cox says the 360 FR issues are not in the retail version.

Camera seems to be coming up a lot. Is it really that a big of an issue? I hope it feels right.

and here i found the framerate on ps3 (demo) was already so-so

:x

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
mintylurb said:
Why not just try the ps3 demo to see if it bothers you. I wouldn't even call it a pause or freeze..it feels more like a slowdown.

Minty, you know he would never do that.

Also, anyone bringing up the Ghostbusters thing, PS3 was never really the lead platform for that, and it's quite obvious. True lead PS3 games have been better on the system, same for games that lead on 360 being better. It's just how porting works.

Maffis

I don't know why people thrash the framerate. It's because of the rain it's sub 30, but on the horse-stage, if you fall off, the framerate is alot better.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope there's no console war thing here.

Anyway, demo is halfway, taking pretty long. I'll post my impressions, my side might be a bit biased since I grew up with SotN and above (including the 3D PS2 titles of Castlevania), plus I play Castlevania for collecting stuff.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
palpabl_purpura said:
Well, did you like GOW3's camera. It's fixed as well.

They are both fixed in the larger sense, but LOS's camera moves around a lot more than GOW's camera ever did, and a lot faster too. It can be disorienting at first, but it's probably something you get used to.

ULTROS! said:
Anyway, demo is halfway, taking pretty long. I'll post my impressions, my side might be a bit biased since I grew up with SotN and above (including the 3D PS2 titles of Castlevania), plus I play Castlevania for collecting stuff.

This isn't a Metroid-style Castlevania, it's not about collecting stuff-- which is a pretty big relief to some of us :lol

still, hope you enjoy the demo, plenty have, some are turned off by how basic the demo is but there will be a lot more to the final game.

mintylurb

dark10x said:

I think it really depends on developers and what type of games they're trying to make. Darksiders for example was lead on x360 but the ps3 version was pretty much equal. Same with tomb raiders.

Let's just chalk up ghostbusters as an anomaly since the majority of multi-platform games lead on ps3 end up either running better, almost equal or equal to the 360 versions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mintylurb said:
I think it really depends on developers and what type of games they're trying to make. Darksiders for example was lead on x360 but the ps3 version was pretty much equal. Same with tomb raiders.

Let's just chalk up ghostbusters as an anomaly since the majority of multi-platform games lead on ps3 end up either running better, almost equal or equal to the 360 versions.
Eh, Darksiders was shit on both systems and Tomb Raider was quite different on each (faster framerate and motion blur on 360 at 576p -- higher resolution but lower framerate and no blur on PS3).

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Demo wasn't much fun and felt repetitive after 15 minutes. Graphics were nice though. I'm not a huge action game fan so maybe GOW3 was all I can handle for one year without getting bored.

Has anyone noticed how this thread is almost the same size as DR2's OT? LOS isn't even out yet :lol :lol :lol

Edit: have no clue why I quoted someone.

mintylurb

dark10x said:
Eh, Darksiders was shit on both systems and Tomb Raider was quite different on each (faster framerate and motion blur on 360 at 576p -- higher resolution but lower framerate and no blur on PS3).
Even if Darksiders was poop on both systems with noticeable tearing, both versions ran pretty much equal.

Yes. Tomb raider 360 ran at a slightly higher frame rate with motion blur but at a lower res and TR PS3 version was 720P(edit: oh and better lighting ;>) but ran slightly worse. I would consider that pretty much equal.

dark10x said:

PS3 Tomb Raider also had better lighting and textures, but the games were developed by completely different studios simultaneously apparently. It's a shame Bayonetta didn't turn out as well.

Simo

metareferential said:
I found this picture for the EU limited edition, it's not perfect, but still:

219na60.jpg

Here's a clearer look of it:
I4dB0.jpg

1UP I guess saw it in person back at Gamescom and mentioned the mask was pretty sturdy, detailed and had some weight to it and didn't real cheap at all. The only problem is that the CE might not be available on release day.

Stupid question but did anybody else find the green shard on the dead soldier during the horse segment? I played the demo a few times but completely missed it until last night when I was grinding to unlock more moves and found the armour sitting against the tree.

jett

D-Member
I found the shard too, looking for a health fountain. :p

BTW that's a really sweet looking CE. If I could I'd get it.

bridegur

The demo looks pretty amazing, but I was bored by the gameplay. I knew it would have a lot of God of War-type elements, but I expected it to feel at least a bit like Castlevania.

Top Bottom