• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Foffy

Banned
Teknoman said:
Just say this much...is it's design something that'll be a memorable addition to Castlevania final bosses?

I think the concept of it totally is.

People will either like the idea, or find it to be somewhat alien to nearly every other Castlevania title. I myself like it.

RavenFox

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
This is giving far too much credit to a single man, and of all people Kojima?

Kojima was acting in an advisory role and almost assuredly had nothing to do with nuts and bolts engine coding and platform integration. Mercury Steam is using an in-house engine anyway, correct? Give credit to their team, not to Kojima. Comments like this take away from MS' achievement.
Dude give it a rest please. Mercury Steam [corrected] are and always be the soul and heart behind this game. wtf are you telling me about coding for? If some of you would stop reaching out your ass to post everytime you get a twitch you might understand more by reading the many interviews with David Cox and his thanks to Kojima who without him we wouldn't be f'ing here talking about and getting to play this gem in a few days. Oh and Kojima did show them how to code different things. Teeth and tongue shading comes to mind. Yeah you didn't know so I'm telling you.
Cox I have twittered many times and he has answered many times. I have nothing but respect and admiration for what they have done. From NES to now I am thankful to play another castlevania that is fresh and worthy of the name. Now back off.

RavenFox said:
Dude give it a rest please. Mercury system are and always be the soul and heart behind this game. wtf are you telling me about coding for? If some of you would stop reaching out your ass to post everytime you get a twitch you might understand more by reading the many interviews with David Cox and his thanks to Kojima who without him we wouldn't be f'ing here talking about and getting to play this gem in a few days. Oh and Kojima did show them how to code different things. Teeth and tongue shading comes to mind. Yeah you didn't know so I'm telling you.
Cox I have twittered many times and he has answered many times. I have nothing but respect and admiration for what they have done. From NES to now I am thankful to play another castlevania that is fresh and worthy of the name. Now back off.
mercury system lol

Phenomic

Y2Kev said:
Kojima crybabies :lol

He hath stabbed IGA through the heart with a wooden stake

Apparently he did a last ditch effort to strike back, 400 Point DLC for Harmony that contains a single stage... nothing else.

Hey now that single stage of HoD could last anywhere from 5 to 10 hours trying to collect everything.

Bunch of haters.

(I didn't buy it though.)

Foffy

Banned
Phenomic said:
Apparently he did a last ditch effort to strike back, 400 Point DLC for Harmony that contains a single stage... nothing else.

That's not IGA's fault. That's more of Konami marketing. I'm banking on the fact they'll also be selling Yoko, Julius, and Maria separetly too. And whatever DLC they may have planned (The DLC that we know of in fact already exists in the retail download).

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hey now that single stage of HoD could last anywhere from 5 to 10 hours trying to collect everything.

The most appealing and obvious addition to the core mechanics to the game is that Charlotte can get a new spell from the boss...which doesn't boost her stats upon collecting it, unlike every other spell in the game.

Foffy said:
The most appealing and obvious addition to the core mechanics to the game is that Charlotte can get a new spell from the boss...which doesn't boost her stats upon collecting it, unlike every other spell in the game.

Well that's good. She's already goddess-tier anyway.
What about Jonathon though? If anything he deserves a boost.

RavenFox

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So is it wrong for me to be excited for this? Man, I can't wait to see the artbook.
Remember when when we first saw Demons Souls? I have this spooky exploration vibe building inside of me buddy. Can't wait.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it would be interesting to see what kojima would do if he made a whole castlevania game, i'd be down for that, but the budget would be enormous, shooting on location in romania would be really expensive, not to mention the set design and costume budget

RavenFox said:
Remember when when we first saw Demons Souls? I have this spooky exploration vibe building inside of me buddy. Can't wait.

*high five* So true, I'm splitting at the seams...

Holyyy shit September flew by.

JohngPR

For the past year or so, I've stopped putting so much stake on reviews from "professionals".

I've learned that "gut feeling" and demo impressions have served me well since then. I say screw reviewers. Counting on reviews for immpressions really taints your personal opinion and gives you more of a chance of forming your opinion based on other peoples impressions.

I've really enjoyed it so far. I almost feel like a kid again buying a game and playing it with little to no preconceived notions about it.

Foffy

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well that's good. She's already goddess-tier anyway.
What about Jonathon though? If anything he deserves a boost.

He actually gets nothing, despite the stage the game is taken from. :lol

Unless the Royal Crown is new for him to get..

Phenomic

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Bunch of haters.

(I didn't buy it though.)

I bought Harmony and actually loved it, I enjoy loot grinding games actually very much but I was hoping for a little more then a single stage for paid DLC.

WTF?! When did Amazon remove the $20 credit offer? I just went to pre-order and it's not listed on the page anymore.

I usually wait until the day before and I've never seen this :(

Phenomic

Team Klimt said:
WTF?! When did Amazon remove the $20 credit offer? I just went to pre-order and it's not listed on the page anymore.

Alternative is going to Kmart and getting a 20 Dollar Gaming Coupon for your next purchase, also I think Newegg has it for 50$ new.

Zertez

Team Klimt said:

I think it was Tuesday. I saw it earlier this week and went to order on Tuesday and it was gone.

Phenomic said:
I bought Harmony and actually loved it, I enjoy loot grinding games actually very much but I was hoping for a little more then a single stage for paid DLC.
Yeah I was hoping they'd at least bundle a character with it even but considering everything it was nothing more than vain hope.

Still good for what it is, and it certainly made up for some of IGA's more shameful efforts like Circle of the Moon, Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin.

RavenFox

Banned
Team Klimt said:

lesson learned eh. Really don't understand why you would wait until the day before when they only charge you on the day before release.

Teknoman

Phenomic said:

Yeah Harmony was pretty fun, and has a great soundtrack. So much more could be done with the game though.

RavenFox said:
lesson learned eh. Really don't understand why you would wait until the day before when they only charge you on the day before release.

I was waiting for impressions so I could choose the best platform.

I am such a dumbass for not blindly spending $60... *rolls eyes*

Nelo Ice

Banned
Team Klimt said:
I was waiting for impressions so I could choose the best platform.

I am such a dumbass for not blindly spending $60... *rolls eyes*

like he said
u couldve just preordered it and they wouldnt charge u until it ships...
i do this all the time for games im iffy about since i might as well lock in the price/preorder bonus that and if the game drops at any time before release or on the day of the release amazon has to give u the lowest price

Foffy

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah I was hoping they'd at least bundle a character with it even but considering everything it was nothing more than vain hope.

Still good for what it is, and it certainly made up for some of IGA's more shameful efforts like Circle of the Moon, Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin.

I wish they had a bundle for like..600 MSP which came with Chapter 7, Yoko, Julius, and Maria. But with this milking, at least I can ignore buying Maria. :D

..Unless they make a Chapter 8, because then I'll be made that it's an 8 stage game and I have 7 characters. Though I don't know if that'll even happen. :lol

Also, IGA had nothing to do with Circle of the Moon. It's one of those "side" games to the series, too.

Foffy said:
I wish they had a bundle for like..600 MSP which came with Chapter 7, Yoko, Julius, and Maria. But with this milking, at least I can ignore buying Maria. :D

..Unless they make a Chapter 8, because then I'll be made that it's an 8 stage game and I have 7 characters. Though I don't know if that'll even happen. :lol

Also, IGA had nothing to do with Circle of the Moon. It's one of those "side" games to the series, too.

what. circle of the moon is more or less my favourite in the whole series

Vrakanox

Foffy said:

I bought the stage beat it like 10 times and then quit. Does the boss even drop anything good?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Teknoman said:
Hows the framerate holding up?

Just say this much...is it's design something that'll be a memorable addition to Castlevania final bosses?

Also I wonder if you get something for beating the game on Paladin difficulty?

framerate is a little spotty. its solid in most areas but it definitely chugs here and there. (im playing the ps3 version)

*edit*

one negative so far is that the titan battle (the one seen in a few videos already) is really really tedious. rubs me the wrong way that it was just designed to last for half an hour for no rhyme or reason

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AndyMoogle said:
Circle of the Moon > Any 2D Castlevania that has been released after CotM

circle of the moon seemed really great to me because it was one of the first games i played that combined stat building and adventuring, and it was probably the first really great gba game i played, so, yeah. but aria of sorrow is ridiculously better, and if you handed me both at the same moment in history, i would have probably laughed at circle of the moon.

that title music, through headphones though? amazing. haunting and amazing.

Gr1mLock said:
one negative so far is that the titan battle (the one seen in a few videos already) is really really tedious. rubs me the wrong way that it was just designed to last for half an hour for no rhyme or reason

yeah SUPER HUGE BATTLES for the sake of being super huge don't interest me much, sort of like a lot of the bosses in GOW3. I bitched about that in that game and I'll probably bitch about it in this one too.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

iqh8ad.gif

Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin were amazing. Circe of the Moon was decent but it didn't stick with me at all. My favorite Metroidvania though is Ecclesia followed by Dawn and Symphony.

Kusagari

Team Klimt said:

Yeah, I was waiting for my Amazon giftcards from trade-ins to come in which they did today. Went to preorder it and see the credit offer gone. :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
Kusagari said:
Yeah, I was waiting for my Amazon giftcards from trade-ins to come in which they did today. Went to preorder it and see the credit offer gone. :(

shouldve preordred beforehand anyway since u can apply giftcards to an order as long as it hasnt been shipped

burgerdog

Gr1mLock said:
framerate is a little spotty. its solid in most areas but it definitely chugs here and there. (im playing the ps3 version)

*edit*

Huh? I beat it in less than 10 minutes. Were you not dodging its hand?

I've played through CotM 10+ times thanks to all the different classes you unlock. CotM has the best soundtrack by far for a handheld Castlevania. It also has a different feel to other Metroidvanias. It really feels like a combination of the classic 2D games and SotN, while all other handheld Metroidvanias are just SotN 1.1 with a bland soundtrack.

Played the demo and I liked it! although the horse part was a bit linear :( you can't do combos, and you can't move :S, I think it could have been better if you could control the horse and do some combos, or use the grab button to invade the monsters, kill them in an epic way and then jump and return to the horse... unless is an only 1 time part, maybe thats way they didnt invert a lot of time on it

Tokubetsu

AndyMoogle said:
I've played through CotM 10+ times thanks to all the different classes you unlock. CotM has the best soundtrack by far for a handheld Castlevania. It also has a different feel to other Metroidvanias. It really feels like a combination of the classic 2D games and SotN, while all other handheld Metroidvanias are just SotN 1.1 with a bland soundtrack.

I don't disagree but I like a lot of the little things they did to mix it up in HoD and AoS. I like Soma and I liked the twin castle idea in HoD.

Tokubetsu said:
I don't disagree but I like a lot of the little things they did to mix it up in HoD and AoS. I like Soma and I liked the twin castle idea in HoD.
The twin castle in HoD was pretty neat, and it's probably the IGAvania game I'd want to replay the most. Even if the music was ruined by the low quality. Hopefully the 3DS will get GBA games on the virtual console so that I can play it again one day.

Simo

sotodefonk said:
or use the grab button to invade the monsters, kill them in an epic way and then jump and return to the horse... unless is an only 1 time part, maybe thats way they didnt invert a lot of time on it

You can do that in the demo but you have to deal some damage to the riders first before an onscreen prompt lets you jump onto the wargs to perform an instant kill, kind of like the pegasus sequences in God of War II.

Top Bottom