• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Flib

Haha, I'm on conference calls for most of the morning/afternoon, that's why I asked. I'll call them before I leave work, but I just wanted to see off-hand if anyone had talked to them/gone there today.

Flib said:
Haha, I'm on conference calls for most of the morning/afternoon, that's why I asked. I'll call them before I leave work, but I just wanted to see off-hand if anyone had talked to them/gone there today.

hate all of you who are able to get this now... fff...

oh well, it's just the normal version though right? anyone seen the LE's out in the wild?

dark10x said:
I know there is no reason why anyone should be burdened to support a game developer, but for some reason, this line of thinking makes me sad. It's like "This game looks awesome, but I know it's going to fail so I'll wait until it's dirt cheap". Totally legitimate line of thinking, of course, and smart as well...but this line of thinking could also contribute to the failure of the game.

Again, nobody owes anything to these companies and I'm not suggesting they should spent more just to support them. I just hate to see games like this tank.
Don't worry, I don't think Enslaved looks awesome.

Teknoman

I'm not surprised he composed Gears go Awry and Invitation of a crazed moon, those were actually my two favorite PoR tracks :lol

Teknoman said:
I'm not surprised he composed Gears go Awry and Invitation of a crazed moon, those were actually my two favorite PoR tracks :lol

My favorite POR track is Hail to the Past with Jail of Jewels tagging along.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
My favorite POR track is Hail to the Past with Jail of Jewels tagging along.

Yeah I like Hail from the Past and In search of the secret spell as well. Piercing Silence was a cool boss theme.

Canova

Banned
dark10x said:
I know there is no reason why anyone should be burdened to support a game developer, but for some reason, this line of thinking makes me sad. It's like "This game looks awesome, but I know it's going to fail so I'll wait until it's dirt cheap". Totally legitimate line of thinking, of course, and smart as well...but this line of thinking could also contribute to the failure of the game.

Again, nobody owes anything to these companies and I'm not suggesting they should spent more just to support them. I just hate to see games like this tank.

it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

burgerdog

dark10x said:
The biggest question for me: how often do you see loading screens? Do they actually allow you to explore large areas without loading screens? I don't mind seeing them between chapters (or however it's broken up), but I'd hate for them to constantly break up the action.
Not sure if it has been answered yet, but you only see a loading screen when first loading up a stage. Once in, the entire stage is load screen free. I suppose if you die you see a one second loading screen.

Whoever told you that the game loads from screen to screen is completely wrong.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
burgerdog said:
Not sure if it has been answered yet, but you only see a loading screen when first loading up a stage. Once in, the entire stage is load screen free. I suppose if you die you see a one second loading screen.

Whoever told you that the game loads from screen to screen is completely wrong.
Thanks for the answer. That's fantastic news. I was seriously concerned that loading screens were going to be popping up left and right. Sounds great!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I hate getting lost but I want to feed my... exploration side =P. As many games this has flown under the radar and looking at the pics and trailers I am getting sightly interested in it, enough that maybe I will give it a purchase.

1)I absolutely loathe having to go back a lot when I die. Are Checkpoints plentyful?
2) What version is the "best". PS3 or 360? I don't really give a crap for suttering FPS so if a version looks better than the other even when losing a frame or two I go with the better looking version. 360 usually has better multiplat games, but maybe this is the exception?

Now if someone can answer that I will be grateful :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
CaptYamato said:
Your second question has been answered on the last page.

I skimmed through the last 3 pages (100 posts) and didn't find a concrete answer. Maybe I skipped over posts without noticing :lol

scently

Relix said:
I skimmed through the last 3 pages (100 posts) and didn't find a concrete answer. Maybe I skipped over posts without noticing :lol

If you need a concrete answer you can wait till DF does their face off.

burgerdog

Relix said:

1. There's a good amount of checkpoints. Honestly, if you keep dying over and over there's no reason not to bump the difficulty to easy if you can't handle normal or hard.

2. Frankly, no one knows for sure. Apparently the 360 version froze during some attacks in the gamespot video. David Cox said it was fixed for retail. There hasn't been any comparison videos to see which version looks better.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
burgerdog said:
1. There's a good amount of checkpoints. Honestly, if you keep dying over and over there's no reason not to bump the difficulty to easy if you can't handle normal or hard.

2. Frankly, no one knows for sure. Apparently the 360 version froze during some attacks in the gamespot video. David Cox said it was fixed for retail. There hasn't been any comparison videos to see which version looks better.

Oh. Interesting then. Will see what system I pick it up for then. I loathe pre-rendered cutscenes made with in-game engine, it cheapens the games so much. I really hope that isn't the case here =/

Jtyettis said:
Yup, which as it stands now will go nicely towards Enslaved.

This is the first time I see Amazon offering future credit first and then not. May be they did it before but I didn't notice.

Fuck I missed it. Guess will pass and rent it now.

Phloxy

360 version so far is running as smooth as PS3 demo if not a bit smoother. Colors look a bit more vibrant, but that can just be the difference in cables I'm using. Either way runs great.

FrankT

Phloxy said:
360 version so far is running as smooth as PS3 demo if not a bit smoother. Colors look a bit more vibrant, but that can just be the difference in cables I'm using. Either way runs great.

Great to hear! Gamepro Germany did mention something about the colors. One thing though did you install both discs? Playing all installed from the second disc? Should be able to install from menu on the first and dashboard on the second. Can you confirm?

CaptYamato said:
Vanquish bro. Support Lord Mikami .

Well I did love Bayonetta, but man there are so many good to great games coming this month. The demo was great.

Dynamic3

Relix said:
Oh. Interesting then. Will see what system I pick it up for then. I loathe pre-rendered cutscenes made with in-game engine, it cheapens the games so much. I really hope that isn't the case here =/
Just get it for PS3, I haven't even reached chapter II and I've already backtracked to an earlier stage. I wouldn't want to risk having to switch disks with the 360 version.

All of the cutscenes thus far have been prerendered in-game, but they look out of this world. It seems that they add a significant amount of AA and the textures are the best I have ever seen on a console.

The game as a whole looks incredible. The exceptions are Marie's model which looks relatively bland and unpolished and the weather effects which look like blatant overlays.

I'll give more detailed impressions later tonight, specifically regarding the platforming.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Dynamic3 said:
Just get it for PS3, I haven't even reached chapter II and I've already backtracked to an earlier stage. I wouldn't want to risk having to switch disks with the 360 version.

FUCK! I didn't even think about that! Why oh why didn't I go with the PS3 version?

burgerdog

Dynamic3 said:

All of the cutscenes thus far have been prerendered in-game, but they look out of this world. It seems that they add a significant amount of AA and the textures are the best I have ever seen on a console.

The game as a whole looks incredible. The exceptions are Marie's model which looks relatively bland and unpolished and the weather effects which look like blatant overlays.

I'll give more detailed impressions later tonight, specifically regarding the platforming.
You can install the second disc on 360, no need to switch discs.

Host Samurai said:
Ok gentleman. Whats the final verdict on which version to get? Thinking about picking this up today in rainy NYC.
I went 360, looks damn good, its on two dvds though, if that's a factor for you.

didnt notice any stuttering or anything like that though, been running smooth

FrankT

Jack Random said:
I went 360, looks damn good, its on two dvds though, if that's a factor for you.

Woo, woo!. David Cox coming through! Second report that is good. You did install everything or not?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dynamic3 said:

This saddens me and kills the mood. Why oh why =/. I just don't like it.

Man. Some of you guys seriously make which version to get into a bigger deal than it actually is.

If you only have a PS3, get the PS3 version.
If you only have a 360 version, get the 360 version.
If you have both systems but prefer the DualShock controller, get the PS3 version.
If you have both systems but prefer the 360 controller, get the 360 version.
If you prefer achievements, get the 360 version.
If you prefer trophies, get the PS3 version.
If you have both systems but do not have a preference, the PS3 version is said to have a more stable framerate.
If you like pizza more than hot dogs, order pizza, do not make a hot dog.

FrankT

Framerate seems to be fine on the retail version for the 360 per two people here that it have now, which ultimately jives with what David Cox stated on twitter. Am pleased.

Phloxy said:

Jack Random said:

Smooth in fact!

Though I will take pizza over a hot dog anyday of the week.

brandonh83 said:
Man. Some of you guys seriously make which version to get into a bigger deal than it actually is.

If you only have a PS3, get the PS3 version.
If you only have a 360 version, get the 360 version.
If you have both systems but prefer the DualShock controller, get the PS3 version.
If you have both systems but prefer the 360 controller, get the 360 version.
If you prefer achievements, get the 360 version.
If you prefer trophies, get the PS3 version.
If you have both systems but do not have a preference, the PS3 version is said to have a more stable framerate.
If you like pizza more than hot dogs, order pizza, do not make a hot dog.

I will study this and embed in brain.

FrankT

Jack Random said:
only installed disk one so far, load times are quite brief

Thanks for the reply and good to hear. Going to install both for the seamless experience. You can play both from the second disc fyi.

burgerdog

Current gen graphics confirmed. Dat brown.
WSffYIE

Top Bottom