• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

burgerdog said:
See you bitches on the other side.

qHyOEqI
What!

Nizz

burgerdog, when/if you get a chance, could you please let me know if the final game has an option for switching up block/healing from L2/R2 to L1/R1? Enjoy the game!

I'd love to try the demo but I'm too lazy to make a euro account. I'll just hang tight till next week.

RavenFox

Banned
Spike said:
What did he do? From everything I've read, from Mercury Steam themselves, has said that he is the reason that the game is Castlevania. They pitched the idea to Konami, and were rejected, but Kojima liked what he heard and pushed the project forward. As far as I've read, that's all. Also, when they were unsure if something should be added in, they asked him what he thought, and he basically gave them creative freedom with the title. It's not like he came up with the ideas???[my edit] and contracted out Mercury Steam to deliver his vision for Castlevania.
I don't know if you're crazy but you realize you did post why he is important right? I also like to mention the original character looked like a cyberpunk on crack and he told them to change it.

Phenomic

Gotta say that makes me jealous somewhat Dog! Always fun when Mom and Pop Stores come through with early releases. I got RE5 a week early on PS3 and it was funny when there was like 5 people online in the leaderboard. Grats and enjoy.

Dynamic3

Jack Random said:
heh, just came back from there there with my copy too, cant wait for the workday to end
Ah, I'm tied up in the office until at least 6, did they have a decent amount of copies? They charge $65 right?

Dynamic3 said:
Ah, I'm tied up in the office until at least 6, did they have a decent amount of copies? They charge $65 right?
$60 + tax, so yeah.

Not sure about copy count, but they're displaying it on the shelf, so it's not like they're limiting to pre-orders or anything

Edit: I really love these NYCGAF bonding moments that happen as a result of shattered release dates around here.

jeez people, create a bogus email account, grab a random UK address and fill and make a new Euro PSN account jeez

sometimes the Euro store gets demos, wallpapers, themes and stuff ahead of time from Euro devs

I will guess that many Japan-o-files have bogus JPN and HK accounts as well

burgerdog

No inside cover art.
No install.
Hardest difficulty locked, Paladin.

Looks like the beginning of the demo is the beginning of the game.

NeoUltima

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's fine. Your interpretation is that he's telling it like it is and you want to cuddle by the fireplace with him. My interpretation is that he's an assmunch riding a wee bit high on himself and has only harmed the game's chances with his candor and false promises. The truth perhaps lies somewhere in the middle but it doesn't change the fact that I like this game better if I disassociate him and his lies from it, so I will.
No thanks. I hold no particular reverence or hate for the man. Just a dude doing his job. A vessel for information.
What are these false promises you speak of?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
dark10x said:
I thought it was OK, but even its fans should be able to see that it had some design issues. The combat was fun, the music was great, and it had great potential, but the environments nearly spoiled the whole thing. The level design was flat out boring. They copy and pasted a bunch of rooms together and left you to slog through each one fighting a small handful of enemies. It didn't matter if you were exploring the "dungeon", the "sewer", the "gardens" or any other location, they were all basically the same series of hallways and rooms. The only difference between any of the levels were the textures used to paint the walls.

On paper, the game sounds great as IGA essentially created a replica of the 2D games in 3D. If you look at a map in a 2D CV title you'll see it contains a series of corridors and large open areas. When you visit areas represented as a large block in the 2D games, however, you'll actually find a series of intricate platforming challenges along with the enemies to face. In 3D, however, each of these block rooms literally ended up being a small arena where you'd fight a bunch of enemies before selecting one of the potential doors (and they were generally in the same place). The level design was no more intricate than, say, Smash TV. There was nothing to really fill in those blocks on the 2D map and that is why it failed.

This new game appears to have variety in spades with a huge assortment of environments and challenges based on those environments. It looks like an amazing world to explore and seems to contain enough assets to fill multiple games.
I liked the Iga games for the most part. He did make some duds, but he has a good footing for where he could take the series gameplay wise. I'm hoping they make a 2.5 hybrid (like Metroid: Other M) game for 3DS with the combat of LoI only polished up quite a bit.

LoS I look at more like the N64 games. It seems like it's more of an adventure title. I'm not terribly upset about someone else handling the game because historically the series has always switched developers. Iga's games were leaving a lot to be desired imo, but I don't want to see him completely go away. Handhelds are powerful enough now that he can pretty much make whatever type of game he wants.

burgerdog

I couldn't tell one bit of difference between the demo and retail. I am not the best judge when it comes to frame drops for CV LoS so someone else will have to vouch for retail being better or the same.

You can revisit previous stages from the world map. :D

Oh shit, there's a trial unlocked for besieged village(demo stage) now. Have to finish the level and have at least one surviving villager. I swear all were alive when I beat it. Going to do trial and see what unlocks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
burgerdog said:
I couldn't tell one bit of difference between the demo and retail. I am not the best judge when it comes to frame drops for CV LoS so someone else will have to vouch for retail being better or the same.

You can revisit previous stages from the world map. :D

Oh shit, there's a trial unlocked for besieged village(demo stage) now. Have to finish the level and have at least one surviving villager. I swear all were alive when I beat it. Going to do trial and see what unlocks.

Yeah, apparently there are lots of trials for each stage. Let us know if you can figure out what they unlock, if anything!

Dynamic3

burgerdog said:
Nothing happened, stage is now 100% complete, it was 75% before.
Can you comment on the platforming? My biggest concern is that it's going to be absurdly linear where you just hold a direction and press X, slide along ledge, etc.

RavenFox

Banned
keltickennedy said:
Remember this trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-2008-castlevania-lords/38751

Character looked that way before Kojima had any involvement with the game.
If you're going to reply to me be correct and prove me wrong. The original character before that fancy video did not look like that. Mercury system themselves said this in an interview that kojima wanted a character that showed a different type of emotion than the one they had.

edit: Found it
DO: Gabriel was a totally different character before Kojima got involved, what was he like, was he like Kratos?

DC: No, not like Kratos . . . Do you remember Schneider from the N64 game?

DO: Sort of . . . really bad ass, kid of brash, a bit suicidal?

DC: Yeah he was a bit like that, kind of this furry big armor, very brash, very one dimensional . . .

DO: Gabriel seems very vulnerable, like a lost soul . . . but a man to be feared and respected just the same

DC: Exactly, exactly, and that’s what Kojima-san said was missing from our character design. He said Gabriel himself needed to be worked on more. He said, “you’ve got this deep and emotional and tragic story, but yet you’ve got this very barbaric character.” So he thought we should redesign Gabriel. At that point we thought Gabriel was great, but he said, “No no no, you have to change him.” So we went back and turned Gabriel into much more of an everyman. He’s not a one dimensional action hero anymore. He’s much more of a real person now. I think Kojima’s input on that really helped us, and you can see it in the character.
http://www.ripten.com/2010/08/29/ho...l-belmont-and-guided-lords-of-shadow-getsome/

burgerdog

Dynamic3 said:
Can you comment on the platforming? My biggest concern is that it's going to be absurdly linear where you just hold a direction and press X, slide along ledge, etc.
Sure, once I get to an area that requires platforming.

Does anybody know if Death is in this game?

I also hope Dracula has a bad ass final form in this like he has in Rondo (Best Drac form in the series imo)

burgerdog

Stage 3 is cool. I was presented with 2 paths at one point. Chose to go right, backtracked and went left. I was then presented with three different paths to take. Fucking awesome. 3rd stage and it's already not a straight line.

burgerdog

Hm, health is not easy to come by in this game. Only found three altars in stage 3 and it took me 40 minutes to complete. Got to a boss with a sliver of health and it wasn't replenished upon continuing. Had to beat the boss without getting hit. I like this.

Salz01

What about the music?

Actually did you play enough to give a quick plus / minus summary?

I love it when people do that.

burgerdog said:
Hm, health is not easy to come by in this game. Only found three altars in stage 3 and it took me 40 minutes to complete. Got to a boss with a sliver of health and it wasn't replenished upon continuing. Had to beat the boss without getting hit. I like this.

swoooonnnnn I just busted a nut

burgerdog

Salz01 said:
What about the music?

Actually did you play enough to give a quick plus / minus summary?

I love it when people do that.
At this point it would just be a huge plus section. I need to play more to see if there are some minuses.

Okay, people are going to go nuts when they see stage 4 in person. Insane that a 3rd party did this, 360 version, assuming it's identical to the ps3 version, will be the best looking game on the console.

Top Bottom