• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

~Kinggi~

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Amazon sales rankings rarely correlate well with reality. I wouldn't read much into them at all.
Plus the SKU is split into 4 parts with the CE editions, as they are considered separate. They are ranked fairly high in top 100 in comparison to the regular editions.

RS4-

I'm hearing a lot of problems about the QTEs...most of it involves people trying to time the presses as if the rings are supposed to line up when you can just wait until it turns white or the bigger ring is inside the smaller one.

dwebo

Popped the disc in briefly to see if there was an install, or if I needed to update my firmware (no on both accounts - edit: I'm on 3.41).

2 things:
- A gamma correction screen that is super easy to figure out if you're at the correct setting. Awesome! These adjustments in most games are usually terrible.
- Patrick Stewart narration right off the bat - fuck yeah!

Looking forward to actually playing later.

x3sphere

I'm impressed with everything except the soundtrack. Castlevania games have always had memorable tunes and they fit the mood of the areas so well, but not this one. Such a shame Michiru left Konami.

Spike

dwebo said:
Popped the disc in briefly to see if there was an install, or if I needed to update my firmware (no on both accounts).

Yay! Going to open the PS3 version now that it has been confirmed!

RS4- said:
I'm hearing a lot of problems about the QTEs...most of it involves people trying to time the presses as if the rings are supposed to line up when you can just wait until it turns white or the bigger ring is inside the smaller one.

Yeah it's really weird how it works, the
Swamp Troll
fight was supposed to be easy but instead the QTE was the real boss fight.

I'm an idiot and accidently bought the game. Forgot to cancel my preorder from Amazon after coming away unimpressed by the demo.

Played into chapter 2, looking for the 2nd key. Definitely lukewarm on it so far. Visuals are gorgeous, but something feels off. I think it's the character animation or lack of different types of animation ala the way Drake's animation would alter in Uncharted depending on the scenery. Combat feels kinda dull and the music is completely bland, especially for a Castlevania game. Don't get me started on the story...
I have no reason to trust or believe you, but you're voiced by Patrick Stewart so you must be OK!

Really hoping it gets better.

Dartastic

The more I play the game the more irritated I'm getting. I just started chapter two, and it seems like Gabriel is fluttering across the screen at times, and not even when it's particularly crazy. Seriously. Please tell me that installing helps the frame rate.

SavoryCade said:
I'm an idiot and accidently bought the game. Forgot to cancel my preorder from Amazon after coming away unimpressed by the demo.

Played into chapter 2, looking for the 2nd key. Definitely lukewarm on it so far. Visuals are gorgeous, but something feels off. I think it's the character animation or lack of different types of animation ala the way Drake's animation would alter in Uncharted depending on the scenery. Combat feels kinda dull and the music is completely bland, especially for a Castlevania game. Don't get me started on the story...
I have no reason to trust or believe you, but you're voiced by Patrick Stewart so you must be OK!

Really hoping it gets better.

You could always return it to Amazon .. though you will loose shipping charge which is less than $60.00 to keep the game you don't want.

I got mine today but still busy with Dead Rising 2.

loving it so far. i just played the swamp thing boss in the bog. maybe i don't care about framerates because i know people have said this is sub 30 but it still looks good to me :(

Ranger X

ShockingAlberto said:
Is the framerate better in the actual game?

Just tried the demo and it was unplayable for me.

That's what I am investigating right now and it doesn't seem so.
I wonder if there's even one review speaking about FPS. Really, it's like most people don't care but personally, I was deceived by the demo because of the FPS alone because it was so bad!

antiquegamer said:
You could always return it to Amazon .. though you will loose shipping charge which is less than $60.00 to keep the game you don't want.

I got mine today but still busy with Dead Rising 2.

Debated it, but I still wanted to rent it at some point so decided to keep it and sell it at a loss if I hated it. At least I got the $20 Amazon credit out of it. :/

Well, I for one am enjoying the game quite a bit. I got the Limited Edition PS3 version from Amazon around 5pm, and started not too long after that. I'm currently in Chapter 2, and I'm having a blast. I really like the graphics/art direction, and it has been interesting so far. This is the first Castlevania game I have played, so I don't know how the other ones are. So, yeah, so far I'm not regretting my purchase. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ShockingAlberto said:
Is the framerate better in the actual game?

Just tried the demo and it was unplayable for me.

I can see it being an issue, but unplayable is serious hyperbole.

Ricker said:
Wow this game is hard but not always ina good way...press down on the left analog to refill stuff?? hold LT,right in the middle of the action to switch to light magic? really? and I also don`t like not getting an auto save right after a particularly hard section,that I restart with half my health,with my little magic meter almost empty,and I had to retry many times only to finally beat it but dying after,not quite sure where to go or jump or hang somewhere,falling to my death and having to redo all that over again...at this point it`s almost impossible to do and I`m probably better off restarting the chapter over.....not digging this so much for now.

This is exactly what I was going through a little bit earlier ago. It was fucking frustrating. Clicking the stick to absorb magics = not fond of.

Yeah the demo did nothing for me.
Framerate has been mentioned but from the first bits of combat I don't see how it can work at all.

First off it feels like Gabriel is whipping the beasts with a fine piece of wire. Then when Gabriel gets hit he makes a generic grunting noise that sounds about the same as if he was swinging his whip or jumping. The lack of feedback just hurts the combat badly.

Throw in that QTEs and other parts of the demo feel so unpolished that it starts reminding me of how much of an F-tier dev Mercury Steam really is.

Also God of War had it right years ago. There's really no reason at all as to why Gabriel should be going into any major battle without full health. This isn't hanging onto Castlevania's roots. This game knows exactly where it stands so maybe it shouldn't pretend otherwise.

x3sphere said:
I'm impressed with everything except the soundtrack. Castlevania games have always had memorable tunes and they fit the mood of the areas so well, but not this one. Such a shame Michiru left Konami.

It's pure wallpaper music. Patrick Stewart must have been listening to it while recording his parts because he sounds totally bored.

thetrin said:
For me? Not at all.

I get motion sick really easily and I couldn't play Fable 2 because of the motion blur when moving the camera.

Playing this demo was like watching things through a cellphone camera. I seriously could not play it to the end.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
The way the quick time events are designed is pure shit. Did they really think they were being clever?

Thankfully I saved the receipt so I can return it tomorrow.

Sidzed2

The impressions in this thread are certainly mixed, if not downright negative. I am super duper muper curious to try this one for myself, and soon.

Oh well, I'll finish Enslaved first and, by that time, CV will have come out in annoying ol' Australia.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yeah, motion sickness I can see being a problem. Control-wise the game is perfectly fine. Higher framerate would be wonderful but the game isn't hindered by it in the slightest.

Just got to chapter 4. Game is decently challenging and really fun. Music is hit-and-miss, environments are always fantastic and the combat is very enjoyable. Chapter 1 is by far the weakest and it's a shame because I can see people being turned of by it. It gets much better. Titans do kind of suck though.

The framerate is shit. I'm torn. Game has been in development for years, any hopes for a "patch" to fix the framerate I think are hopeless. What a shame.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sidzed2 said:
The impressions in this thread are certainly mixed, if not downright negative. I am super duper muper curious to try this one for myself, and soon.

Oh well, I'll finish Enslaved first and, by that time, CV will have come out in annoying ol' Australia.

If you're willing to pay actual real money for Enslaved, Castlevania should be a definite purchase.

Btw, where the HELL is the light magic gem in the Labyrinth entrance? I can't find it anywhere.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
What do people mean by not Castlevania-y? Not like Symphony of the Night or not like Castlevania III? Technically, SotN was about as un-Castlevania as you could get :p

RS4-

thetrin said:
If you're willing to pay actual real money for Enslaved, Castlevania should be a definite purchase.

Btw, where the HELL is the light magic gem in the Labyrinth entrance? I can't find it anywhere.

Might be behind a wall you can crush; I think there are two sections you can take down.

Volcynika

Yeah the Bog pointed out to me the camera issues, it got a bit confusing there with some sudden swinging. I need to go back and find the other two jewel things I missed though. Still enjoyable, minus the camera being a little crazy.

Raging Spaniard said:
What do people mean by not Castlevania-y? Not like Symphony of the Night or not like Castlevania III? Technically, SotN was about as un-Castlevania as you could get :p
Not like either, I'd imagine.

Gameplay-wise, SotN was very different from the older games. However, it still used familiar musical motifs, returning enemies (and from Rondo and technically CV3, returning characters), all of the classic sub-weapons, and other such touches to create a link to the prior games.

For better or worse, Lords of Shadow does not do those things. It takes the raw concept of Castlevania and carves out its own path. For some people, that's a turn-off. For others, it's the breath of fresh air the series needed. These two groups are never going to see eye-to-eye on this.

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:

Gameplay-wise, SotN was very different from the older games. However, it still used familiar musical motifs, returning enemies (and from Rondo and technically CV3, returning characters), all of the classic sub-weapons, and other such touches to create a link to the prior games.

For better or worse, Lords of Shadow does not do those things. It takes the raw concept of Castlevania and carves out its own path. For some people, that's a turn-off. For others, it's the breath of fresh air the series needed. These two groups are never going to see eye-to-eye on this.
Carves out its own path in the sense of successfully taking the Metroidvania exploration into the third dimension or carves out its own path in the sense of making it a good to great action-game in the vein of GoW?

Or something else?

I've read like 500 posts in here and still have little idea how the game is actually structured with all the conflicting posts. It's maddening! I need someone to do some real talk here.

andymcc

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:

it's not really like either.

Segata Sanshiro said:

yep.

NeoUltima

Raging Spaniard said:
Honestly, its the music I think. Music plays a huge role in the series identity, and just about none of that old music is present here. Many people just don't realize how important of a role music has until its gone.

LaneDS

Segata Sanshiro said:

Hm, I'm right in the middle then. I think it's mostly a breath of fresh air but would have preferred the music wasn't such a departure from what was normally expected of CV. Even if the new stuff is great in an entirely different way, it just keeps the game from feeling like CV to me... that video released last week with the SCV4 music being played was such a tease, because it totally changed the tone of things to what I wanted.

Beyond the music though, I think there are a lot of smart, necessary changes for the series to be relevant today (and on consoles). I would still gladly play IGA 2D titles on the handhelds, if given the option.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Haunted said:
I've read like 500 posts in here and still have little idea how the game is actually structured with all the conflicting posts. It's maddening! I need someone to do some real talk here.

He means in terms of storyline. It's a franchise reboot, seriously well done though, keeps the style, but ditches the convoluted relationships and timeline.
As far as structure, each level is linear, but has branching paths and non-accessible areas. When you get other powers in later levels, you can come back to the levels and access the new stuff, or come back and redo the level for challenge mode. Branching paths are really cool though because that just means the levels have more hidden stuff you can miss the first time around.
Think of it like Order of Ecclesia 3D.

thetrin

RS4- said:
Might be behind a wall you can crush; I think there are two sections you can take down.

I found one in the enclosed section right before the end of the level. Where's the other??

Haunted

rainer516 said:
He means in terms of storyline. It's a franchise reboot, seriously well done though, keeps the style, but ditches the convoluted relationships and timeline.
As far as structure, each level is linear, but has branching paths and non-accessible areas. When you get other powers in later levels, you can come back to the levels and access the new stuff, or come back and redo the level for challenge mode. Branching paths are really cool though because that just means the levels have more hidden stuff you can miss the first time around.
Think of it like Order of Ecclesia 3D.
Thank you.

And I like what I'm reading. Fuck the timeline. Hooray for explorative elements.

thetrin

The exploration is pretty neat. I think the game actually benefits from a lack of a map. That may sound totally counter to what you'd think, but there you go.

Future

Raging Spaniard said:

Castlevania games have a typical formula. Exploring, gaining new abilities to unlock new paths, crazy bosses, lots of AI, specific types of AI (fleamen, medusa heads) etc. This game scratches all that and basically makes it flow like a GoW game, with similar placed secrets and such, and far less AI. Its alright, but didnt really need the Castlevania name. But if it helped get sales I guess it was worth it.

Adam Blue

dralla said:
having only 1 weapon really starts to suck the further you get in. the combat isn't bad, just repetitive.

I think that's what Dante's Inferno did right that set a new bar. The game allowed multiple play-styles by giving you weapons that could default as primary...with their own upgrading. Playing DI a second time with only the cross made it play completely different.

When I then play a GoW style beat-em-up with one weapon, it feels a bit shallow.

So, in the end, I'm playing this CV game for the story and environment (it looks and sounds amazing). But, I could leave out the CV part as there is no CV here at all. Music, story, atmosphere, weapons (well, beside the whip and Belmont name), says nothing of CV.

But, the plan is a complete CV mythos reboot. Not needed if you ask me. Just the gameplay MAYBE.

thetrin

Okay, just found that magic gem. It was in a really clever spot. :lol

dankir

Holy shitballs this game is pretty.

I bought this and Enslaved on the 360 today, both have knocked my socks off visually!

The lighting and water effects of the opening battle sequence are ridiculous... GOOD STUFF KONAMI!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:

Subjective? Maybe. Hyperbole? No.

I just played the PS3 demo and there is no way I could play through the game with that framerate. The sluggishness and choppiness is very distracting and they really hurt the gameplay. A super-low framerate in a fast-paced action game is completely unacceptable.

The game sure is nice looking, though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Great game so far, midway through chapter 2 and I'm still not tired of just how gorgeous the levels are. The amazing music sooooo helps as well.

Dartastic

I think one of the reasons the frame rate is pissing me off so much is because at times it seems smoother in combat than it does when you're walking around. WTF?

thetrin

Dartastic said:
I think one of the reasons the frame rate is pissing me off so much is because at times it seems smoother in combat than it does when you're walking around. WTF?

Probably because the combat arenas are far less detailed and filled with fauna than the tunnels and roads you traverse.

Top Bottom