• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Foffy said:
The only way to really restart is to actually delete your save data, as the game doesn't support multiple save files.

At least the PS3 version doesn't.

If you press Start, go into Extras, I believe you can change the difficulty from there...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
If you press Start, go into Extras, I believe you can change the difficulty from there...

It's in Configuration, not Extras.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Id encourage people to go into the combat display and turn on enemy damage and experience popups. Kinda adds an rpg element to things. So when you are in the grind of fighting a bunch of guys again, seeing the damage values change based on your power and seeing yourself earn experience is kinda cool.

Epcott

Loving the game so far, slightly choppy framerate and all.

Had a problem with the "grab" button. The English section in the instruction booklet is like 6 pages (including table of contents) and never went into detail, and the explanation flashed on the screen so fast, I may have missed it...

so it took a several wtf moments and deaths to realize you need to hit a button right when the large white circle shrinks into the smaller circle during the grab bullet time.

I just hope they don't make the controls overly complex later on, I'm still in chapter 1. I also hope they include a Vampire Killer mix because I love the soundtrack :D

LaneDS

Did all copies of the game come with the card giving you a free copy of Symphony of the Night, or was that a North American thing?

Nelo Ice

Banned
so despite the fps probs i may end up getting this game anyway since i'll only be payin $30 :lol

that or i'll get enslaved but im leaning towards castlevania

Spike

LaneDS said:
Did all copies of the game come with the card giving you a free copy of Symphony of the Night, or was that a North American thing?

Did you get the code? I picked up my copy at Best Buy, and there was no code. :(

Docpan

Why are people making such a big deal about the framerate? I thought the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed 2 was much choppier, and the graphical quality in that wasn't even close to this.

Are we looking at the same game? This is fucking AWESOME. Bad ass music, bad ass gameplay, awesome levels... I don't see how anyone can complain, really. I find it much more satisfying than GoW3. I read all the hate and I really don't get it, this kicks the shit out of every other CV I've touched in 10 years.

Without spoiling too much, are there any incentives to play through twice? Hidden unlockables?

Docpan said:
Without spoiling too much, are there any incentives to play through twice? Hidden unlockables?

each stage has a trial, beating those are more or less related to trophies/achievements. there are multiple paths through several stages, you can go back after you've upgraded or gotten new abilities that you need to get through a loose wall or door or other obstacles, etc.

other than that, not sure yet.

Got the game just got to chapter two.. The game is growing on me, more frustrating than satisfying..Visuals is a mixed bag from terrible to decent. After seeing what GOW3 accomplished this just has me wanting more. The narration is just horrible. But after all the compaining the game is solid. Just kinda mad I didn't wait till it was cheaper.

Docpan said:
Why are people making such a big deal about the framerate? I thought the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed 2 was much choppier, and the graphical quality in that wasn't even close to this.

Are we looking at the same game? This is fucking AWESOME. Bad ass music, bad ass gameplay, awesome levels... I don't see how anyone can complain, really. I find it much more satisfying than GoW3. I read all the hate and I really don't get it, this kicks the shit out of every other CV I've touched in 10 years.

Never played AC2, but looking it up on the interwebs, it had a slightly higher framerate than LoS does.

I'm not usually framerate sensitive, but Lords of Shadow makes me queasy. It's probably not the framerate alone, but the framerate is a big part of it. I can't play the game for a length of time without throwing up. If you don't think that's a big deal from my perspective, well, awesome, you're bulimic.

Everyone sees the world in a slightly different way. Lords of Shadow obviously doesn't cause you any trouble, but it does cause some people issues, and given that everything else is so awesome, it's extremely aggravating to have to skip the game or play in short segments just because the developer thought a subpar framerate was okay.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just here to concur that the game just keeps getting better. I'm starting to hit the point in the combat that there are too many moves to remember! :lol

*In response to LoS making people feel queasy, etc. I think alot of it has to do with the framerate and the camera shake. If you let the game sit still you can see the artificial shake on the camera. I get why they did it, but it just feels mechanical and nausea inducing. Mix that with the sub 30 framerate and I think you have your culprit.

Certain areas of Ch. 3 the framerate seemed really high. Also there wasn't as much aliased foliage every where like Ch. 2 which kept the overall screen shimmering down. I really loathe the 1bit alpha transparency on the foliage. It probably wouldn't be so bad if the textures were higher resolution. Some of the branches and bushes with no leaves are just painful to look at!

Overall the game is super gorgeous though!

george_us

It's the camera that had me a bit motion sick as it moves around more than any action/action-adventure game out there. There's even shaky cam while you're standing still.:lol

Gomu Gomu

Good lord, This is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The jungle level was mind blowing. Frame rate isn't stable, sure. But thank god it didn't bother me at all.

AcciDante

I've played around 2 hours so far, and I'm digging it for the most part, but I think this is the first game where the jagged edges is actually hurting my enjoyment of it. Maybe its just me, but the horrible jaggies combined with the camera being pulled a tad farther back than most action games is actually causing me to lose track of enemies on screen. Maybe it's just me, though. Is the 360 version any less...jaggy?

Docpan

AC2 in the city, ground level, on PS3, was often in the teens as far as fps goes. It didn't kill it for me, but it certainly bugged me. Some of the worst I've ever seen this gen, and I dont recall anyone making a stink over it. I haven't had any "what the fuck is going on" moments with this, not even in the demo that supposedly plays like shit. It's blown out of proportion and consequently may be turning off potential buyers. That's bad, because this shit is good.

The graphics are insane. The rain effects are insane. Several years ago this could pass for FMV-quality.

LaneDS

Spike said:
Did you get the code? I picked up my copy at Best Buy, and there was no code. :(

Yeah there was a pamphlet inside the case. Odd, too, because the case has French on it too which I assumed meant it'd be identical for the Canadian release, but I guess not? Bummer.

Docpan said:
AC2 in the city, ground level, on PS3, was often in the teens as far as fps goes. It didn't kill it for me, but it certainly bugged me. Some of the worst I've ever seen this gen, and I dont recall anyone making a stink over it. I haven't had any "what the fuck is going on" moments with this, not even in the demo that supposedly plays like shit. It's blown out of proportion and consequently may be turning off potential buyers. That's bad, because this shit is good.

The graphics are insane. The rain effects are insane. Several years ago this could pass for FMV-quality.
That's interesting, because the tests on the usual frame counting sites say AC2 PS3 has a low of 24 FPS. But hey, as I said, I didn't play it, so you'd know better than me. I also don't know if anyone made a stink about it or not, but if it did go into the teens, I'd bet someone did.

And sorry, but the framerate is a big problem here, and people should make noise about it, or Mercurysteam will think it's okay and then we'll get stuck with another Castlevania game with a below-par framerate. If it costs them sales, good. It should.

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone else dislike the "on camera" effects? Things like rain drops on the screen or snow flakes? Compound that with the camera shake and you would think Mercurystream want's me to think Gabriel has a personal camera man following him on the epic adventure. Hope he/she is getting hazard pay! :D

It kinda ruins the immersion a bit imo.

Beth Cyra

Well just finished the fourth mission.

The game is good, combat isn't up to standards in my opinion, but it still could open up and I hoping it will become enjoyable.

Game is good looking, but in no way does that make the FPS issue alright when equally good looking stuff is coming up and run better then it.

That said I will keep going if for no other reason the Patrick Stuart is freaking awesome and I want to hear more of him, and I hoping at some point or another the story grabs me.

One thing though.

I am sure people have talked about it, but how the hell did they miss the glitch in the forth mission, around the center area if you run at certain angels, or more jump over the back side of the rock it messes up and the picture cuts out.

I had one of those annoying flying bat-like goblin things actually attach to me. It didn't attack me or anything once the glitch happened, it just chilled next to Gabriel everywhere he went. When I got into the next screen it disappeared.

leng jai

Docpan said:

Pretty sure AC2 on PS3 never went into the teens. Do people really know what a game looks like when it runs under 20fps? Its literally like slow motion.

Beth Cyra

brandonh83 said:
I had one of those annoying flying bat-like goblin things actually attach to me. It didn't attack me or anything once the glitch happened, it just chilled next to Gabriel everywhere he went. When I got into the next screen it disappeared.

This one is a tad more annoying because now when ever I jump it breaks up the gemotry and shows me the final area but it depending on how far away I am from it it is either zoomed out or in, really weird bug.

NeoUltima

brandonh83 said:
I hate those things. If I see a big group of them I use my
crystal

Also, I will say this is the best looking multiplat game.

Tokubetsu said:
I really love Gabriel's designs. Vampires look great too.

He is how a 3d Belmont should look.

Man, going through and trying to do the trials is fun. I haven't even beat chapter 2 because I am going back and grinding. :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Is there a way to turn the shaky camera off in this game? I didn't see anything in the options menu, but I only played it for an hour or two.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What the hell am i supposed to do in 2-2? In the spider caves
I just got the chain whip and it says I can ride certain monsters now but I can't find any spiders to geta hold of
. Killin' me.

edit: I figured it out

Victrix

*beard*
It's pretty easy to figure out the ending even part way into the game :( I'll be impressed if they surprise me.

That said, if I'm right, they're still doing a great job with it.

I love having a story that isn't loaded with random japanese bullshit (so far anyway). And has, you know, good voice acting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Victrix said:
It's pretty easy to figure out the ending even part way into the game :( I'll be impressed if they surprise me.

That said, if I'm right, they're still doing a great job with it.

I love having a story that isn't loaded with random japanese bullshit (so far anyway). And has, you know, good voice acting.

The story, from what I know, is pretty damn Kojima-esque. If that isn't Japanese and random, I don't know what you mean.

Tokubetsu

End of Chapter V help
How do I get past the spike trap gate? I do the sprint + jump but the gate always closes as soon as i jump from the spikes.

Cynar

Tokubetsu said:
End of Chapter V help
How do I get past the spike trap gate? I do the sprint + jump but the gate always closes as soon as i jump from the spikes.

Stand beside the gate, throw a powered up shadow magic dagger and then feel stupid with how easy it is because that's how I felt when I finally figured it out :lol

LowParry

thetrin said:
The story, from what I know, is pretty damn Kojima-esque. If that isn't Japanese and random, I don't know what you mean.

Negative. I'm not watching 15 minute scenes between stages. However there was a particular part that seems pretty Japanese humor. Skeleton and opening door. :D

Top Bottom