• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
CcrooK said:
Negative. I'm not watching 15 minute scenes between stages. However there was a particular part that seems pretty Japanese humor. Skeleton and opening door. :D

I meant twist-wise.

LowParry

thetrin said:
I meant twist-wise.

Haven't encountered anything like that so far. Though there have been a few of them along the way. I'm on the second stage of Chp. 5. There's a lot of guesses of what's going on. One particular that's obvious...maybe...

Alex

I think I'll pick this up, regardless of framerate, it'll piss me off but I really love dark fantasy stuff and the total aesthetic of this game, the combat sounds more appealing to me too than other act/advs.

It would also be nice to play a different style of Castlevania since I've really disliked what they've done with it on portables lately.

I'd have loved a PC version though ah, that woulda been nice to get it all gussied up. But PS3 will have to do.

LowParry

Alex said:
I think I'll pick this up, regardless of framerate, it'll piss me off but I really love dark fantasy stuff and the total aesthetic of this game, the combat sounds more appealing to me too than other act/advs.

It would also be nice to play a different style of Castlevania since I've really disliked what they've done with it on portables lately.

I'd have loved a PC version though ah, that woulda been nice to get it all gussied up. But PS3 will have to do.

Your anger will wash away with how much fun you'll have with the game. You'll be amazed how good looking this game is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
CcrooK said:
Haven't encountered anything like that so far. Though there have been a few of them along the way. I'm on the second stage of Chp. 5. There's a lot of guesses of what's going on. One particular that's obvious...maybe...

Belmont is possible of the
Cronqvist
family? HMMMMMMMMMMM

(I'm not letting on to knowing any more than I actually do. That is very intriguing, though)

dwebo

Just finished ch.6. The combat is starting to get a bit... tedious. I get that the whip is the signature weapon of the series, but it's like playing a God of War only using the chains! It doesn't help that a lot of the fights (even the smaller ones) drag on and on, especially when you're tired and taking way too long to figure out the lever/switch/sparkly to pull that stops the waves of baddies :lol

I was sorely behind in
Vampire Chess, but then she kept landing on units she didn't have anymore. That was a freebie!

WARNING: My save file got corrupted on the PS3 version. I didn't shut it down while the light was blinking or anything.

So I had to restart from the beginning, but thankfully I was only 2 hours in.
I tried to see if a user-defined save could be made, but apparently it can't. So be careful and backup that save game.

Zeal

Banned
I'm glad this game is finally getting the praise it deserves. I'm seeing more and more positive opinions as people are finally able to play it for themselves.

IGN will cry bloody tears before this this night is over...

wwm0nkey

Zeal said:
I'm glad this game is finally getting the praise it deserves. I'm seeing more and more positive opinions as people are finally able to play it for themselves.

IGN will cry bloody tears before this this night is over...
I dont get how they could give this a 7.5, I just really cant understand how anyone could give it that score.

heringer

wwm0nkey said:
I dont get how they could give this a 7.5, I just really cant understand how anyone could give it that score.
That review is laughable, but the score isn't the problem. While I personally would give the game a 8.5 or a 9, it is far from perfect. That are a lot of issues that can hamper the enjoyment of someone depending on how tolerant they are. So yeah, I can see why someone would give it a 7.5, since it's still a fairly good score.

Ricker

Aklamarth said:
It's not your PS3...the game has bugs. Got the same thing on the 360.

I had a grapling hook glitch last night that scared me...I`m falling to my death,with that little cinema and when the game restarted,I was grappling for a second and then falling to my death all over,it was looping that non stop,so I had to resume the last checkpoint...there`s a few stories now starting about people just losing their saves on the PS3 also.

Dascu

wwm0nkey said:
Low framerate, glitches and bugs, some really poor level/camera design at times, QTE combat, some slow and tedious fights, questionable story, certain later non-Castlevania areas of the game... There's a few issues with it that would warrant, say, a 7.5/10 review score.

LowParry

Dascu said:
Low framerate, glitches and bugs, some really poor level/camera design at times, QTE combat, some slow and tedious fights, questionable story, certain later non-Castlevania areas of the game... There's a few issues with it that would warrant, say, a 7.5/10 review score.

Sounds like a 8.5. -snicker-

Dascu

CcrooK said:
Sounds like a 8.5. -snicker-
Numerical ratings are inherently nonsense so I'm not going to get into an argument about that. The game was generally well-received by the majority of reviewers so I don't think anyone in this thread has reason to complain about this game not "getting the scores it deserves". It's sales I'm interested in. Konami obviously spent a lot of money on this title. Any word of mouth on its performance so far?

Ricker

Dascu said:

Didn`t read the review but they probably talk about the high difficulty also,especially the one caused by having to press down on R3 or L3,thus standing still,to absorb the magic...in small area`s with a big guy and his little minions,it`s quite annoying,they should of made them fly to you,like NG,or let you run through them(like the daggers)...(lots of people playing this on my friendlist are saying the game is though hehe)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Got the game in the mail today, and I've played it for a bit, currently at
Pan's Temple
. The graphics are pretty good, and the framerate has been decent so far, if a little jittery at times. The combat is OK, although I personally prefer the slower, heavier combat of the God of War games. The worst offense so far is the dreadful ring system used for QTEs. What a piece of shit. The camera is also a bit so-so, and the controls don't feel quite as tight as they should have been when grappling/climbing and jumping. Still, seems good, but not God of War-level good.

Tom Penny

So the upgrades and stuff they claim you missed. Is it because you can't go to certain parts of the level because your not powerful enough. I'm missing a few and I assume that is why. Graphics are good. Definitely not the best.

6.8 said:
WARNING: My save file got corrupted on the PS3 version. I didn't shut it down while the light was blinking or anything.

So I had to restart from the beginning, but thankfully I was only 2 hours in.
I tried to see if a user-defined save could be made, but apparently it can't. So be careful and backup that save game.

Does the game randomly auto-save while your playing? Those games are the worst for data corruption.

Denzar

Have any Europeans got their hands on it already (preferably Belgians)?

This game was developed in Europe, why the fuck am I not playing it right now?

brandonh83 said:
Question, do you think Yamane's music would fit this game? I really don't. Her music is better suited for the faster-paced, 2D style gameplay and Araujo's score is perfect for this game's visual themes and environments.

I mean, it's your opinion and I used to think similarly when watching videos and stuff, but after actually playing the game I've changed my mind.

I think Yamane's music actually fits really well. I've been using the Curse of Darkness music as my custom soundtrack to replace the bland score in LoS. At times it fits incredibly well, far better than I thought it would.

Ricker

kyo_daikun said:
Does the game randomly auto-save while your playing? Those games are the worst for data corruption.

Yep,there`s no other saves,you can restart the whole chapter though and go back to each of the ones you cleared...but there is 1 save,that`s it.

SavoryCade said:
I think Yamane's music actually fits really well. I've been using the Curse of Darkness music as my custom soundtrack to replace the bland score in LoS. At times it fits incredibly well, far better than I thought it would.

I'm going to try some AC/DC later in hopes of getting the taste of that shitty beautiful orchestra out of my mouth

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really vehemently disagree that this is not castlevania. It's hellavania. Also I am thinking about playing this game while I am not playing it, so it must be great.

Dascu

Y2Kev said:
I really vehemently disagree that this is not castlevania. It's hellavania. Also I am thinking about playing this game while I am not playing it, so it must be great.
:lol :lol :lol

Yes, quite!

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
I really hope that's not a spoiler.
?

I was implying that it's a lot like Dante's Inferno instead of God of War. Of course, the franchise has always been inspired by that text, especially the IGAvanias.

Well it kind of makes me think you'll go to hell in the game now or something. Kev's post didn't entirely leave me with that opinion completely, but you sort of applied the finishing move. :lol

edit replying to your edit: that's very true.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
Well it kind of makes me think you'll go to hell in the game now or something. Kev's post didn't entirely leave me with that opinion completely, but you sort of applied the finishing move. :lol
Oh, not at all.

brandonh83 said:

edit replying to your edit: that's very true.
'Hella' means 'really' or 'very' in the kidspeak. Y2Kev is much younger than us, you see, and is quite... hep?

oh god i'm old

george_us

Segata Sanshiro said:
'Hella' means 'really' or 'very' in the kidspeak. Y2Kev is much younger than us, you see, and is quite... hep?

oh god i'm old
How old are you guys?:lol

I'm 25 and we used 'hella' in middle school occasionally.

Khezu

Just got to chapter 3 and EXP gain seems to be pretty slow compared to how much combat moves cost. Are there any skills I should avoid buying because there a waste? Right now I think I want to get erosive chains and holy cross.

So far all I have bought are chain saw, the xyy combo, and the AoE counterattack. The chain saw attack doesn't seem to be all that good though, since it doesn't stun a monster during the animation, so if I hold it to long they usually just smack me away.

Segata Sanshiro said:

I know, I didn't think he meant "hella" vania, I read it as "Hellavania," like Casltevania just with hell instead oh whatever Segata fuck

Segata Sanshiro said:

oh god i'm old
Hella is California speak for many things.

Wait, how old are you?

Teknoman

Just realized most of Chapter 1, which is pretty long in itself, is a tutorial of sorts. Maybe thats why people were saying it starts slow?

Also to the early complaint about enemies taking too long to kill: Standard enemies on Knight (hard) difficulty take like...3-4 hits to kill so far. Actual boss fights keep you on your toes, and feel like classic fights where you end up winning with a small amount of health left.

Grabbing QTEs are kinda strange, but easy to pull off, and it doesnt seem like QTEs are all over the place...yet.

So, some guy said, "Talk to me after you beat chapter 2". I'm just wondering why, as I beat it last night and I still have the same feelings that I did before. The exploration aspect was ramped up a bit, sure, but I really just felt like I was playing Prince of Persia for a few stages. The bosses were cool but nothing I haven't seen before.

I mentioned my "apprehension" in my last post about the Onimusha style orb collecting and I must say that I'm even more bothered by it now. Do we really need two buttons for collection, let alone the analog buttons? It just seems a little overly complicated. Hell, you can't even run through them to collect. Yeah yeah, I get it,
two magic types
but it doesn't change the fact that you're using two buttons to do the same exact thing.

Has anyone else found areas where it appears that there is a wall jumping bug? For some reason, I was able to bounce off of one wall and get up to an area that I was supposed to climb to. Also, the frame rate in the
labyrinth
bumps up considerably in certain low task areas. I don't really know if it's been discussed but the framerate appears to be completely unlocked.

Anyways, I'll just stick to my guns, keep my expectations where they're at and I'm sure I'll continue to be entertained.

Me and a fellow gaffer (SquallASF) played up to Chapter 2-3 I believe last night and that took us a good 3 hours or so... damn this game is long. As for the framerate issues though, honestly... not saying there isn't some issues but it truly hasn't effected my enjoyment of the game (or his) whatsoever. Loving this game and the look and style of it. Can't wait to play more!!!!

TEJ

i can't wait to get the game and have a hella good time.

I am older than the sega master system but younger than the japanese release of the famicom

george_us

Music box puzzle
was awesome!

Also if you're not enjoying the game then don't force yourself to play through it. I could definitely see how the game's small issues could detract from the experience for some.

Edit: Just got to the
Titan Graveyard
. FUUUUUUUUUU it's so pretty!

Top Bottom