• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Glix

Haunted said:
:sadface

Guess I'll wait. Cheapo sale or PC port announcement, whichever comes first.

I just want to be clear here, there is judder all over the place, but no slowdown.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ok, wondering why the checkpoint for 2nd titan didn't work. I'm sick of having to do this over and over again!

Ok my fault

It starts off like the beginning of the fight, but hitting it with rock is different. DUH!

cryptic

burgerdog said:
Jesus, this one is easy.
When you get to the door that needs grenades to get through, grab a goblin and hold any direction on the left analog stick when you press a face button. Gabriel will light the grenade from their belt and they'll run around and then blow up. Infinite amount of goblins, unless you blow up the door.
Thanks. I was in the process of reflecting every bomb thrown lol.

bubnbob

Banned
Ledsen said:
So from the posts in this thread I take it that Normal is a good difficulty for people who usually choose Hard (but not Very Hard) in most games, and Hard is ball-bustingly difficult?

Hard is extremely easy. I am hugely disappointed they force you to beat the game just to get to the real mode. And by then your character is beefed up so it's not worth the challenge.

Phenomic

I've got a question and I'm wondering why it feels like my game isn't responding and if there's anything I can do about it.
Chapter 2 Spoilers

Fighting the Earth Titan, and everything is fine until after I kill the 2nd glyph, so I go down where I need to grab the next part of the titan, press the action button to chain to glowing things R2, then nothing happens, every-time I end up falling off the damn titan and I don't get why. Why won't the game realize I'm pressing the button next to the thing I latch on too. This is happened in other places so is there some sort of trick to making it react? I've fallen off a stupid number of cliffs and stuff because of this.

Found somewhat of a pattern perhaps, maybe you just have to hold the damn thing down i've been mashing it for two chapters I swear haha :lol

Tom Penny

burgerdog said:
Jesus, this one is easy.
When you get to the door that needs grenades to get through, grab a goblin and hold any direction on the left analog stick when you press a face button. Gabriel will light the grenade from their belt and they'll run around and then blow up. Infinite amount of goblins, unless you blow up the door.

Funny. I just used timed blocks.

jjasper

Man I have been looking forward to this game but haven't really been keeping up with it. Just got it today. Holy crap it is amazing looking. One of the best looking games this gen.

KAL2006

Banned
is the story in this game any good

also is there a chance that there will be a sequel (I may wait for a sequel that polished all the faults of this game)

george_us

KAL2006 said:

also is there a chance that there will be a sequel (I may wait for a sequel that polished all the faults of this game)
Well it's better than any Castlevania game before it if that's any consolation to you.

Story is pretty good for a videogame, jesus christ this isn't fucking Tolkein

anyway, help in 5-1,
I'm fighting some shits in a cemetery in Wygol Village, I tell Zobek to get behind the statue and help me cover the hole but when I do, nothing happens. is it glitched?

Zeal

Banned
Need help from anyone who has finished the game or who is very close. Don't read below if you haven't.

I'm at the part in the Necromancer's Abyss where I have three teleportation mirrors up, with the third being locked behind the spiked circular gate. I've manged to hit enough floor keys to see some of the spikes removed from the gate, but there's still spikes left and I cant get through. Am I missing keys somewhere else? I can't find anymore paths to take.

Zeal said:
Need help from anyone who has finished the game or who is very close. Don't read below if you haven't.

I'm a the part in the Necromancer's Abyss where I have three teleportation mirrors up, with the third being locked behind the spiked circular gate. I've manged to hit enough floor keys to see some of the spikes removed from the gate, but there's still spikes left and I cant get through. Am I missing keys somewhere else? I can't find anymore paths to take.

Just go through one of the two portals again, I'm pretty sure.

Zeal

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Just go through one of the two portals again, I'm pretty sure.

Nope.

Both portals are just taking me back to the areas where I had to hit the keys all over again, but they're already pressed, left and right. I hope to god I'm not somehow glitched...

wwm0nkey

Zeal said:

I'm at the part in the Necromancer's Abyss where I have three teleportation mirrors up, with the third being locked behind the spiked circular gate. I've manged to hit enough floor keys to see some of the spikes removed from the gate, but there's still spikes left and I cant get through. Am I missing keys somewhere else? I can't find anymore paths to take.
there are 2 switches on the left portal

Sidzed2

KAL2006 said:

This would have to be one of the single stupidest posts I have ever read.

To answer your question, NO. There is NO chance that a Castlevania game will see any sort of sequel, EVER.

I can't believe someone would actually refuse to play a good game (albeit one which is not without its faults) and 'hold out' for a hypothetical sequel.

Just go and rent the damn game at the very least and stop your blathering.

KAL2006 said:

That all depends on what your standard for a good story in a game is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jesus christ, that Titan in 1-5 is like a reject from SOTC. So fucking blatant. :lol Oddly enough, the framerate wasn't a bother there.

Tokubetsu

Chapter 3 boss just took everything out of me. Had to beat it with half health. Basically had its fucking pattern down pat. Reminded me of the time I beat Nevan in DMC3 without being hit simply because I had to do that fight over so many times :lol My hands are shaking!

forrest

formerly nacire
Himuro said:
How is this game?

I was holding off on posting too much until I completed it, but I'll add this:

The framerate is low, but steady. It does have an overall stutter that you either notice or don't. It can detract from the game if you're sensitive to it. I agree with the Gametrailers review that there are some little complaints in regards to design decisions, ie. invisible walls, certain jump mechanics, etc.

On the other hand, the environment designs are really top notch and are only getting better by the chapter. Seriously the game has a high artistic integrity if you like this type of art. The combat is much better than I think people are giving it credit for. It's very responsive, deep and has a lot of variety. The story seems quite good thus far with top notch voice acting, a nice narrative and nice cinematics. My only complaint here is that the chapters sometimes choose very odd specific moments to end a subchapter or flash to a cinematic, which can really hinder the overall pacing at times.

Overall it's a very nice package and definitely worth the price of admission in my opinion. I'll also add it's the best 3d Castlevania I've ever played and an enjoyable fresh take on the franchise. If you're on the fence, get it.

Ricker

:lol Brought the difficulty down to easy and i`m still dying here,lmao,awesome game but way too hard for it`s own good...on the second Titan,by the time I figured how to control what you need to do,my health was way down and naturally after the initial climb and the first thing you can break,what he does after killed me because I took a chance and tried to jump up,instead of to the left or right and obviously,that wasn`t the right choice....oh well retry,at least the Titan awakening cut scene is awesome :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stunningly beautiful game. I wish it ran better, but I'm over it. Loved the big
titan battle
, even though it's SO sotc :lol

It's not as good as SOTC, but what is? I think the framerate is better than sotc :lol

kevm3

From what I played of the demo, I can agree that the art style is refreshing. No trenchcoat wearing anime prettyboys (although I do find Ayami Kojima's artwork amazing), and none of the dark, dreary, repetitive corridors. Very refreshing.

Dartastic

nacire said:
I was holding off on posting too much until I completed it, but I'll add this:

The framerate is low, but steady. It does have an overall stutter that you either notice or don't. It can detract from the game if you're sensitive to it. I agree with the Gametrailers review that there are some little complaints in regards to design decisions, ie. invisible walls, certain jump mechanics, etc.

On the other hand, the environment designs are really top notch and are only getting better by the chapter. Seriously the game has a high artistic integrity if you like this type of art. The combat is much better than I think people are giving it credit for. It's very responsive, deep and has a lot of variety. The story seems quite good thus far with top notch voice acting, a nice narrative and nice cinematics. My only complaint here is that the chapters sometimes choose very odd specific moments to end a subchapter or flash to a cinematic, which can really hinder the overall pacing at times.

Overall it's a very nice package and definitely worth the price of admission in my opinion. I'll also add it's the best 3d Castlevania I've ever played and an enjoyable fresh take on the franchise. If you're on the fence, get it.
This is quite accurate, and your enjoyment will depend on how much those things irritate you. I posted something a few pages back that detailed how I felt about the game that went through my problems, but I'm on my phone so I can't link to the post. It's quite good, as long as you can overlook the framerate and other stupid, minor things that can add up.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
:lol What the fuck. In the Refectory
once you sneak into the ghoul passage while they're eating you hear a few seconds of the metal gear solid theme. Kojimaaaaa!

Also I gotta tell you guys that the titan battles hardly seem like a major thing in this game and, at least as of chapter 5, there have been none since chapter 2. I believe there are 3 total in the game. That's basically 3 fights that you never have to play again if you dislike them.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God damn this game is so good. Im finding some of the troubles with the platforming stuff is solved if you take things a bit slow. He usually gives off the cues you need to know where and how to jump. If you go into it like other games where you just start hitting the jump button as soon as you think you see where you need to go, youll probably die a lot.

Anyway, absolutely amazing game. It feels like your traveling a continent just to reach Draculas Castle. So much atmosphere in all the levels. They put everything in one basket here, i really dont know what type of new designs, if any they could cook up for 50 more levels in a sequel.

Hell im only toward the end of the 2nd chapter :lol . Just 10 more to go.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
2nd chapter is definitely getting better. I have a problem with seeing those little grenades that get thrown by those troll-like things though. Even when I see them, Gabriel seems to wants to whip-pull the little critters in and ignore the grenades. Small annoyance.

Anyways, when I initiate the QTE with the whip-pull, does continuing to hold the trigger in do any more damage, or am I imagining it?

Jinaar

I am so happy right now playing this. Level 1-3 and just swelling up with happy. A big Canuck thank you goes out to you Mercury Steam. Going back to my happy place.

Top Bottom