• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Justin

Do the abilities you unlock in lower difficulties carry over into the higher difficulties once you finish the game?

teiresias

I'm personally not terribly impressed with this game yet. I'm in Chapter 2 in the Argatha Waterfall (or whatever) and the game is already repetitive. It's basically move from one mini-arena to another, fighting a group of smaller enemies teamed up with one of the larger creatures, and all of the larger creatures pretty much do the same attacks.

The fights are pretty difficult, imo, because they put you in such small areas rather than the enemies themselves being difficult or needing any kind of certain strategy. For instance, I just swung up to a plateau where there was a short cutscene with some clumsy creature and then the big momma version comes up behind me. After a sequence where I have to mash a button to get free I have to fight the bigger one with the smaller ones all around that keep respawning. The big version is basically a greater Lycanthrope, but isn't, and the area is so small it's difficult to dodge or block properly (since the cues for attacks are so hard to see at the distance the camera is situated it's just frustrating).

I'm not really feeling this, and I'd rather not play it at all than play it on easy. It's a shame the actual combat itself isn't anymore engaging to keep me interested.

~Kinggi~

Banned
teiresias said:
I'm not really feeling this, and I'd rather not play it at all than play it on easy. It's a shame the actual combat itself isn't anymore engaging to keep me interested.
I love the combat. There are a ton of different combos and upgrades and ive found that different ones actually work well for certain enemies. Like the large werewolf dude blocks a lot and so using combos with powerful repetitive attacks isnt great. You have to resort to dodging and knives to take em out. Whereas something like the cave troll is a lot slower and so using certain attacks makes more sense.

The whole experience and unlock system is fairly addicting. The light and shadow system at this point seem like a bonus.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I just picked the game up and so far it's really good. The story telling and graphics are top notch. I've only been playing it for an hour or two, but it seems there's more variety to the levels and gameplay than there has been in a 3D attempt since the N64 games. It's a completely new revision of Castlevania. I do have a few complaints so far. One is the constant shaky camera. Is there anyway to turn this off? Next is the framerate which I knew would be low and inconstant in the game, but there's a lot jitteriness I'm noticing. I don't think it would bother me as bad if it weren't for the shaky camera. Last is that there does seem to be a slight delay in the time it takes for you to press a button and the action be completed on screen. I can already tell I'm going to like the game and hope they make a sequel while fixing all of these technical hiccups. Despite the fact that there are issues, this is one of the best multiplatform games I've seen in a while. Konami spared no expense getting this right. You can tell a lot of effort has been put into this. I really do think this will be a chance to reach the series out to a broader audience.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
teiresias said:
I'm personally not terribly impressed with this game yet. I'm in Chapter 2 in the Argatha Waterfall (or whatever) and the game is already repetitive. It's basically move from one mini-arena to another, fighting a group of smaller enemies teamed up with one of the larger creatures, and all of the larger creatures pretty much do the same attacks.

The fights are pretty difficult, imo, because they put you in such small areas rather than the enemies themselves being difficult or needing any kind of certain strategy. For instance, I just swung up to a plateau where there was a short cutscene with some clumsy creature and then the big momma version comes up behind me. After a sequence where I have to mash a button to get free I have to fight the bigger one with the smaller ones all around that keep respawning. The big version is basically a greater Lycanthrope, but isn't, and the area is so small it's difficult to dodge or block properly (since the cues for attacks are so hard to see at the distance the camera is situated it's just frustrating).

Don't dodge, counter. Once you can consistently counter any attack and keep your focus meter up the combat really clicks. The first troll fight in the bog I beat without even having to move. A couple counters and constant pressure made him go down in less than a minute.

ezekial45

Banned
I feel like i made a HUGE mistake starting on Hard. I'm not doing so bad so far, but i think that it's gonna come back to bite me later.

Does anyone know where the 2 life gems are at the 4th stage in Chapter 1? I still haven't upgraded it and i'm at Stage 3 in Chapter 2.

Teknoman

Wait so each stage = a chapter? Or is it like Chapter 1-1,1-2,1-3,etc.)?

Knight mode is fun.

EDIT: Strong attack cues are easy to see. Look for a "power up" animation, then move. Everything else is block and counter unless you're surrounded.

ezekial45

Banned
Teknoman said:

Knight mode is fun.

EDIT: Strong attack cues are easy to see. Look for a "power up" animation, then move. Everything else is block and counter unless you're surrounded.

Eh, i guess you can say it like that. 1-4 is the stage i was taking about. The one with Pan. It said theres two Life Gems there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Teknoman said:

Knight mode is fun.

No, there are 12 chapters, and within each chapter, about 5-9 levels. Game is gigantic.

Phenomic

ezekial45 said:
I feel like i made a HUGE mistake starting on Hard. I'm not doing so bad so far, but i think that it's gonna come back to bite me later.

Does anyone know where the 2 life gems are at the 4th stage in Chapter 1? I still haven't upgraded it and i'm at Stage 3 in Chapter 2.

You're going to love it once you get to Chapter 3 and realize what happens. :D Also at any time you can adjust the difficultly which is a great addition to the game and MercurySteam should get props for that.

burgerdog

nacire said:
I'm assuming you unlock something later that let's you
one shot the runes.
I've beaten the game and there's nothing like that.
Oh! A gaffer posted earlier to use a dark crystal and all the runes will die in one hit

Okay well, so it's obvious that I pay a lot of attention to the music considering how much I post about it, so I wanted to add this: the first three notes of the victory theme when you beat a level is the first three notes of Vampire Killer, and there's also a rendition of it when you get a game over. If you think I'm crazy, keep Vampire Killer in mind when you hear what I just pointed out and it will click.

bubnbob

Banned
Phenomic said:
Also at any time you can adjust the difficultly which is a great addition to the game and MercurySteam should get props for that.

They also locked the hardest difficulty. 2 steps forward... one step back

george_us

Anyone worried about if this game isn't "gothic" enough better get a jizz bucket from Chapter 5 on. There's some motherfucking gothic architecture in this bitch.

The
Evil Butcher
boss fight was both hilarious and fantastic.

Phenomic

bubnbob said:
They also locked the hardest difficulty. 2 steps forward... one step back

I guess if you are insane enough to attempt that difficultly on the first play through yeah. Playing Knight and realizing how insane it is sometimes there;s no way I could do that.

bubnbob

Banned
Where are the 30 goblins in Chapter 2-1? I've counted 25 (according to my kill screen)... do I have to play Paladin to spawn more enemies?

burgerdog

bubnbob said:
Where are the 30 goblins in Chapter 2-1? I've counted 25 (according to my kill screen)... do I have to play Paladin to spawn more enemies?
Where you need to blow up the door. Infinite spawn until you blow up the door.

bubnbob

Banned
burgerdog said:
Where you need to blow up the door. Infinite spawn until you blow up the door.

Is there a way to make him not guard any grenades to the door? The door has some magnetism or something going on.

Hawk269

Let's say you gaf...

I am interested in this game, but have not had time to read alot of reviews about it. I played the demo and I think it kind of sucked a bit. It just seemed so fucking linear. The whole part of riding the horse, falling off the horse, getting back on the horse, falling off the horse, back on the horse..I mean, how fucking more linear can you get?

Well that was the demo and it was really limited..so for those that have the game, can you please supply with some inside if the game opens up at all or is it an on-rails/linear game throughout? Any exploration etc???

Thanks

Hawk269 said:
I am interested in this game, but have not had time to read alot of reviews about it. I played the demo and I think it kind of sucked a bit. It just seemed so fucking linear. The whole part of riding the horse, falling off the horse, getting back on the horse, falling off the horse, back on the horse..I mean, how fucking more linear can you get?

I'm at the end of chapter 5 and that horse section has been the only one.

And the game is meant to be linear, its level-based but in 3D, think Uncharted. It's not an open-world title, not meant to be. But it's very beautiful and the game is very, very long. The demo doesn't even begin to do the game justice.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Let's say you gaf...

Well that was the demo and it was really limited..so for those that have the game, can you please supply with some inside if the game opens up at all or is it an on-rails/linear game throughout? Any exploration etc???

Thanks
The demo was very on rails. Game opens up to the point where each level literally has about 3 potential branches you can take. Meaning you'll encounter a point where you can go left or right, and taking one or the other may or may not have to meet up in the same spot down the line. Most of the time they act as alternate routes through the level, but sometimes they take you to specific secret areas to collect unlockables. Also as the world map expands the game encourages leveling up on past levels and also adds additional mini-challenges to complete. I mean, yes the game is still a linear game, it isnt zelda, but compared to the horse sequence it is much more open.

Zeal

Banned
saw the ending and just blew tea all over my fucking keyboard.

mind blown x100.

all i gotta say.....bring it.

burgerdog

bubnbob said:
Is there a way to make him not guard any grenades to the door? The door has some magnetism or something going on.
Hold any direction on the left analog stick and then press a face button when it's time to do so. You'll set off the grenade from their belt and they'll run around for a few seconds then blow up.

Zeal said:

mind blown x100.

Interested to see what I think about it. Some people love it and it downright seemed to kill the endgame for some. I have no idea what happens and I intend to keep it that way.

Foffy

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
That's it. I'm restarting on easy mode.

The only way to really restart is to actually delete your save data, as the game doesn't support multiple save files.

At least the PS3 version doesn't.

Phenomic

Zeal said:

mind blown x100.

(Joke) Prediction... Gabriel finds a Porkchop in the Wall and Credit Roll. :lol

burgerdog

brandonh83 said:
Interested to see what I think about it. Some people love it and it downright seemed to kill the endgame for some. I have no idea what happens and I intend to keep it that way.
Kill the endgame? Wat. It is Incredible!

~Kinggi~

Banned
ahhh please no endgame talk. I rather someone just make a thread about it so i dont have to read any more hypesss. Its probably gonna be another 5 days or so before i beat the game. Man's gotta work :(

Foffy

Banned
burgerdog said:
Kill the endgame? Wat. It is Incredible!

I didn't like it at all. :lol

Then again, nearly everything that occurred during the final level put a sour taste in my mouth. It came off a bit hammy to me.

Just me though. I probably have 15 years of bias perceptions for this series, and it seems new players really dig it.

bubnbob

Banned
burgerdog said:
Hold any direction on the left analog stick and then press a face button when it's time to do so. You'll set off the grenade from their belt and they'll run around for a few seconds then blow up.

When the blue spark appears? Or when I grab them?

LaneDS

Picked up the PS3 version and played through 2-2. Game has it's ups and downs but ultimately I am enjoying it so far.

The music: I love it and I hate it. It's fantastic stuff, but not the fantastic stuff I wanted for the game (so far at least, it's way early). Mostly love though.

LaneDS said:
The music: I love it and I hate it. It's fantastic stuff, but not the fantastic stuff I wanted for the game (so far at least, it's way early). Mostly love though.

Question, do you think Yamane's music would fit this game? I really don't. Her music is better suited for the faster-paced, 2D style gameplay and Araujo's score is perfect for this game's visual themes and environments.

I mean, it's your opinion and I used to think similarly when watching videos and stuff, but after actually playing the game I've changed my mind.

LaneDS

brandonh83 said:
Question, do you think Yamane's music would fit this game? I really don't. Her music is better suited for the faster-paced, 2D style gameplay and Araujo's score is perfect for this game's visual themes and environments.

I mean, it's your opinion and I used to think similarly when watching videos and stuff, but after actually playing the game I've changed my mind.

Well, it's still really early on and when I say I hate it... that's the wrong word. The music is really, really incredible, and yes it fits very well. I just wish there were more familiar musical cues, and there might be later. Your comment about hearing Prologue redone in 4-2 (I think) was literally the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I ran to Best Buy and scooped it up.

Definitely enjoying it despite a few gripes, but I'm going to try to get much farther in before leveling any real praise or complaints on the game.

LaneDS said:
Well, it's still really early on and when I say I hate it... that's the wrong word. The music is really, really incredible, and yes it fits very well. I just wish there were more familiar musical cues, and there might be later. Your comment about hearing Prologue redone in 4-2 (I think) was literally the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I ran to Best Buy and scooped it up.

It really sneaks up on you. Maybe I shouldn't have spoiled it. It really took me by surprise. It's a new version of it, it sounds "prettier," but it's the same exact theme. And like I said, there are flourishes of Vampire Killer all over the place, but it's ingeniously hidden.

It's almost like they did it for the hardcore fans, knowing they'll be the only ones who really notice at some point.

ezekial45 said:
Btw, i heard the
Vampire Killer
theme is in the game. Can anyone confirm?

so far, as I pointed out in a post above (maybe you missed it, it's all good), Vampire Killer is extremely disguised as the music when you finish a stage, and I'm PRETTY SURE that the music when you get a game over is a super-glorified version of it but it's a lot less easier to notice it.

Just keep Vampire Killer in mind when you beat a stage and you'll be like "holy shit there it is." Some people may think I'm full of shit, because you do have to have an ear for this sort of thing. I used to play saxophone in orchestra so maybe it's easier for me to notice these things, I dunno.

when you beat a stage, listen to the first four notes VERY carefully.

NeoUltima said:
I said I would stop at chapter 6 today...but fuck it. *turns on ps3*
Wow, I'm going super slow then if you are in Chapter 6 already. Oh well, I'm savoring every moment, since it will be a while until another game I like comes out.

Barakov

I played up to a little bit into 4-1. The chapter 3 boss was all kinds of crazy. And the good kind to boot. After playing some more, the combat is good just not great. With a little bit more polish it could of been a whole lot better. It was already obvious but this framerate isn't helping matters.

I already had my doubts about Zobek and I know I'm just having as many about Marie.

Top Bottom