• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Right I heard about the save glitch & backed-up my save, and now I got the corrupted save message, but it says my backed-up save is corrupted too.

Mana Sin

Linkzg said:
The next level was better, actually. In general, there are a lot of games that have a boring period until they pick up. Sometimes because of tutorial reasons and others because there is an ability that makes everything flow a bit smoother. I'm hoping that is the case with Castlevania. I like the music and visuals enough to keep playing. It doesn't hurt that Castlevania is one of my favorite game series.

But it sounds like you have a double threat with that short attention span and an anger problem. I'm sure you'll work those problems out on your own, but at least don't go breaking games you spent money on :)

He was being sarcastic, I believe.

I find this is the first time in a Castlevania game where I'm actually paying attention to the story. It's a reboot and thus this, so far, feels like setup and I dig that. There's no anime bullshit, it may be typical generic fantasy writing but at least it's developing its own mythologies and the world is very, very fleshed out, and there's no dialogue that sticks out to me as being cringe worthy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
revolverjgw said:
The visuals carry this game. The combat doesn't hook me, the music is bland wallpaper, the story is nothing, but I just love the feeling of traversing this land and seeing everything. It's damn beautiful and I'm glad there's so much of it.

o_O

ezekial45

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Except a game should be good to be considers a sleeper hit.
So far, i enjoyed Enslaved more than this game.

Anyway, i'm up to chapter 3 now. I am liking the game, but the combat just feels...weird. I can'y put my finger on it. It's not nearly as satisfying as i hoped it would be. I always feel so weak for some reason.

Are there upgrades to combat cross that make the attack power go up? Cause the spiked whip doesn't seem to have done much to it.

LowParry

CaptYamato said:
Playing on Knight is a bitch.

I have half regrets playing it on Knight but the rewards are satisfying. So I shall continue on with this difficulty. I believe it's 5-2 that's kicking my ass right now.

ezekial45 said:
Anyway, i'm up to chapter 3 now. I am liking the game, but the combat just feels...weird. I can'y put my finger on it. It's not nearly as satisfying as i hoped it would be. I always feel so weak for some reason.

You've gotta go with the Ninja Gaiden mentality with this game. As in, more defense than offense.

CcrooK said:
I have half regrets playing it on Knight but the rewards are satisfying. So I shall continue on with this difficulty. I believe it's 5-2 that's kicking my ass right now.

I'm in chapter 7 I think on that difficulty and let me tell you, it doesn't get any better. Regular enemy encounters are giving me borderline boss difficulties, especially those cloaked bastards with the swords.

CcrooK said:
You've gotta go with the Ninja Gaiden mentality with this game. As in, more defense than offense.

Combat is fucking excellent in this game. I'll give people the framerate problems and other things, but combat complaints just soar right over me like the music complaints do.

Does not compute.

LowParry

brandonh83 said:
I'm in chapter 7 I think on that difficulty and let me tell you, it doesn't get any better. Regular enemy encounters are giving me borderline boss difficulties, especially those cloaked bastards with the swords.

Combat is fucking excellent in this game. I'll give people the framerate problems and other things, but combat complaints just soar right over me like the music complaints do.

Does not compute.

Curious. With where I am, I have most of the combat arts unlocked with a few of the magic attacks left. Does the combat open up more aside from the potentially more items Gabriel gets?

Jinaar

Linkzg said:
The next level was better, actually. In general, there are a lot of games that have a boring period until they pick up. Sometimes because of tutorial reasons and others because there is an ability that makes everything flow a bit smoother. I'm hoping that is the case with Castlevania. I like the music and visuals enough to keep playing. It doesn't hurt that Castlevania is one of my favorite game series.

But it sounds like you have a double threat with that short attention span and an anger problem. I'm sure you'll work those problems out on your own, but at least don't go breaking games you spent money on :)

I just don't understand a person's reasoning to play a game they are clearly not really enjoying and to ask for other people's opinions if said experience for them will get better. Especially when said people in thread enjoyed what you did not already. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reading thread after thread like this on GAF will lead anyone to short spurts of anger. Got me banned once. I haven't learned my lesson it seems.

I like to just enjoy games for what they are, not at what they aren't doing for me.

CcrooK said:
Curious. With where I am, I have most of the combat arts unlocked with a few of the magic attacks left. Does the combat open up more aside from the potentially more items Gabriel gets?

Not really, it's just that fights get more and more demanding. Nothing has come close to the boss at the end of chapter 3, my hands are still recovering from that one, but most encounters since have proven to be pretty difficult.

I find myself trying to implement combos in different ways; I love how certain combos and throwing items can be used in different ways to build the focus meter and that has saved my life on more than a few occasions. It's really a very well thought out combat system.

LowParry

brandonh83 said:
Not really, it's just that fights get more and more demanding. Nothing has come close to the boss at the end of chapter 3, my hands are still recovering from that one, but most encounters since have proven to be pretty difficult.

I find myself trying to implement combos in different ways; I love how certain combos and throwing items can be used in different ways to build the focus meter and that has saved my life on more than a few occasions. It's really a very well thought out combat system.

I like the particular ones that turn into an aerial type combo and you can finish it off with the L2 triangle move or holding down the square. Plus the combos with the the heavy whip sounds. So good.

Rented this today based on feedback in this thread. I don't normally rent games, but I am glad that I rented this. Most of what I am experiencing is good. Combat is solid even if the enemies are a bit simple - though the boss battle in chapter 1 is such a rip off that they could of at least made the trophy name reflect some respect paid to the original. Music is o.k. but nothing noteworthy thus far (in chapter 2). Visuals are, for the most part, stunning and the art direction is excellent. Unfortunately I seem to fall into the subset that can't handle low framerates as this game is giving me a pretty nasty headache if I play for more than 20mins at a time.

Game seems really long as well. Do later chapters get shorter? I have put about 3 hrs into it and am not even done the second chapter. I have run into a few hitches, but for the most part it has been steady going.

LowParry

the_prime_mover said:
Rented this today based on feedback in this thread. I don't normally rent games, but I am glad that I rented this. Most of what I am experiencing is good. Combat is solid even if the enemies are a bit simple - though the boss battle in chapter 1 is such a rip off that they could of at least made the trophy name reflect some respect paid to the original. Music is o.k. but nothing noteworthy thus far (in chapter 2). Visuals are, for the most part, stunning and the art direction is excellent. Unfortunately I seem to fall into the subset that can't handle low framerates as this game is giving me a pretty nasty headache if I play for more than 20mins at a time.

Game seems really long as well. Do later chapters get shorter? I have put about 3 hrs into it and am not even done the second chapter. I have run into a few hitches, but for the most part it has been steady going.

15 - 20 hours mang. :D I think I'm around 8 hours and on 5-2 out of 12 chapters.

x3sphere said:
Pretty much everything in the LoS OST sounds incredibly dull compared to, say:

You have to realize that you're comparing two extremely different musical styles. The music is more about being thematic and accommodating the sweeping, epic vistas you encounter throughout the game.

The music compliments the camera angles and accentuates the overall style of the game. This is a much different 3D Castlevania; Iga's 3D Castlevanias were more like Metroidvanias in 3D, with even more linear level design and faster progression that fits better with Yamane's music.

I'm not saying this game wouldn't have worked with her catchier music, but again, one thing this game has is an incredible sense of the European countryside and the gorgeous backdrops that you're seeing most of the time, and Araujo's score rhymes better with this.

It's also incredibly thematic. Gabriel's theme is one of my favorite videogame hero themes of all time, if not my absolute favorite. So yeah, that's my spiel on the music. It's a different style than what Castlevania is used to.

I completely understand how some people will find that to be a turnoff after all the incredibly catchy and memorable tunes that Yamane wrote for Iga's installments, but this is a reboot, a whole new design for the franchise and thus the change in musical presentation is appropriate especially considering that the game has an overall different rhythm when it comes to the level design.

george_us

Fuck I just beat it fuck fuck fuck holy shit

Please, please, please let the next game take place during
the Apocalypse. Make the main bosses the four horsemen.
Fuck holy shit damn

Damn the way you guys react to the ending... cannot wait.

May be a while, considering the trouble I'm having on this difficulty :lol

george_us

This is seriously the first game I've ever played where the game looks as good or better than the concept art. I should really pick up the LE version of this.

dwebo

Man, that
blood maze
puzzle in 8
was absolute shit.
Why the fuck could I go the exact same route from the 3rd to 4th bubble, only just running out right before I got there, and then it works on the 10th try. Fuck that.

So annoying!

brandonh83 said:
Damn the way you guys react to the ending... cannot wait.

May be a while, considering the trouble I'm having on this difficulty :lol

For me it isn't just the difficulty. I keep going back to farm so I can buy stuff. I'm 6 hours in and just now
beat the Black Knight.

Edit: Just looked at the time...Need to get ready for class. No more CV until I get out AT 10:30 tonight.

henhowc said:
:lol

Enslaved and Castlevania have been rated similarly and the pros and cons of both games look very similar.

Except one kind of plays itself. Glad I didn't buy Enslaved. When a game doesn't give my retard friend a challenge on hard, I know something is wrong. Ratings can fuck off. GOD HAND has a shit overall rating and it is one of the best action games ever. It's going to be great seeing all of the bitter tears when Enslaved doesn't even sell 200k WW.

CaptYamato said:
Except one kind of plays itself. Glad I didn't buy Enslaved. When a game doesn't give my retard friend a challenge on hard, I know something is wrong. Ratings can fuck off. GOD HAND has a shit overall rating and it is one of the best action games ever. It's going to be great seeing all of the bitter tears when Enslaved doesn't even sell 200k WW.

Seems that Castlevania makes people angry!

CaptYamato said:
Nah. Just hate games that have nothing going for them except being pretty.

Yeah because platforming, fighting, puzzles, etc is nothing but pretty...:lol

Anyways...
Back on topic... I still can't beleive how long this game is. Are any of you finding its too long for the genre its in or do they do a good enough job mixing shit up throughout?

ezekial45

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Nah. Just hate games that have nothing going for them except being pretty.
:lol :lol

I enjoyed it immensely. The gameplay wasn't super deep, but it was still fun. The combat was very satisfying also. Not to mention, the story and the characters are great.

And yeah, it is very pretty.

ezekial45 said:
:lol :lol

I enjoyed it immensely. The gameplay wasn't super deep, but it was still fun. The combat was very satisfying also. Not to mention, the story and the characters are great.

And yeah, it is very pretty.

Thanks for the impressions, I'm planning to pick it up tomorrow, the demo had such an awesome ending.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
CaptYamato said:
GOD HAND has a shit overall rating and it is one of the best action games ever. WW.

Agree on God Hand, however CV isnt in the same league in terms of gameplay at all.
Cant compare those two.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lawblob said:
Got a cold beer in my hand, and Castlevania in the PS3. Feels good, man.
Crank the 7.1 duder

or the 2.1 if you are poor

or the mono if you are hella poor

forrest

formerly nacire
lawblob said:
Got a cold beer in my hand, and Castlevania in the PS3. Feels good, man.
Okay I've been debating, but that's it. Pouring myself a beer now!

As for enslaved I think the characters and story look great!

As for Castlevania, this game is great in so many ways. The cons are evident from the beginning, but stay the same. The pros however, keep growing and growing and growing...

george_us

LALILULELO said:
Agree on God Hand, however CV isnt in the same league in terms of gameplay at all.
Cant compare those two.
It sure as hell is in the same league in terms of gameplay. Let's not forget God Hand had its share of problems too despite being awesome.

Phenomic

Chapter 3 Spoiler for people who haven't gotten there yet.

Just somehow managed to beat the giant 3 Staged boss on Knight, I swear I have no clue how I pulled that off, this game is insane and that was chapter 3... 9 More to Go? I swear how insane is the final boss going to be? 6 Formed Demon in which you get no HP or Magic breaks :D .

Y2Kev

This game is SO BEAUTIFUL OMG

The art is just OMGGGGG It's like where did they even hide these artists? under the unsold copies of jericho?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
CcrooK said:
There's a lot about this game that reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, but it does seem like there's latency with the input commands. That and the slideshow framerate makes the combat in this game suffer imo. Graphics are beautiful, but I can't enjoy them cause the freaking camera never stops moving. Anyway, the dead soldiers with the scrolls reminds me of NG too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So what's the soundtrack like?

SotN/LoI/CoD-good?

Y2Kev

There is actually a lot to explore...I am finding a lot of secret paths and alternate routes...

Top Bottom