• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yoshichan said:
So what's the soundtrack like?

SotN/LoI/CoD-good?

I've only played part of the first chapter...but the music is a totally different style from sotn. I'm not a fan so far. Been mostly generic "epic" orchestrated stuff. But I suppose the music from the old castlevania games wouldn't so much fit this game.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Yoshichan said:
So what's the soundtrack like?

SotN/LoI/CoD-good?
Full orchestra with a full choir. It's really beautiful, but there only seems to be one recurring theme song I think I've heard so far. I'm in the second level.

Y2Kev said:
This game is SO BEAUTIFUL OMG

The art is just OMGGGGG It's like where did they even hide these artists? under the unsold copies of jericho?
Hey! :mad:

As a guy who bought Jericho for ~$2 on a Steam sale, I say that game does not deserve your slapdash slander! It even looked kinda sorta good (party members excluded) when it wasn't running on a console at sub 30FPS... *cough*

CaptYamato said:
Except one kind of plays itself. Glad I didn't buy Enslaved. When a game doesn't give my retard friend a challenge on hard, I know something is wrong. Ratings can fuck off. GOD HAND has a shit overall rating and it is one of the best action games ever. It's going to be great seeing all of the bitter tears when Enslaved doesn't even sell 200k WW.
...woah!

heringer

I'm really enjoying the platforming parts too. Sure, camera angles suck a lot of times, but I love that it's more Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider than it is Uncharted and Enslaved.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
heringer said:
I'm really enjoying the platforming parts too. Sure, camera angles suck a lot of times, but I love that it's more Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider than it is Uncharted and Enslaved.
I haven't had any real camera trouble platforming. It's obvious in a few spots that this is MercurySteam's first "omg we have money what do we do with it" game, and they make some amateur mistakes. In chapter 2, there is a scene where you are walking up a long stone pathway and enemies approach you from the front. They give you a BEAUTIFUL panoramic view of the entire stairs, but don't let the camera pull back. So if enemies get behind you, you can't see them. That's a GoW1 type mistake.

But I honestly don't care because I see the genuine EFFORT and PRIDE in this product by the development team. I know they TRIED because I can see the hard work in every texture. So small mistakes don't bother me in the least. They will get better. The raw talent is unmistakable.

I mean, the art in this game alone sets it apart from 90% of releases, good and bad. There is ridiculous loving care in every single minute of this game's presentation. And I appreciate that.

oh and also the gameplay rocks so there's that

Stuck in chapter 3.
Trying to find the third fairy thing to open this big bronze door. I've gone in circles for a good hour trying to look for anything I missed.
Any advice?

I played the demo and thought it meh but got the game anyway. I played till the end of ch1 and am enjoying this game more than I expected to. The combat not as good as DMC or NG but is still fun and the music different from 2d vanias but awesome in it's own way. Its not castlevania but it's a good game.

Despera

Banned
evilromero said:
Stuck in chapter 3.
Trying to find the third fairy thing to open this big bronze door. I've gone in circles for a good hour trying to look for anything I missed.
Any advice?

There was this small wooden pole you had to carry and then place on some kind of mechanism (it resembles a disc like shield) in order to rotate it. You can re-use that pole by pulling it out and placing it on another similar mechanism that's very close to it.

I don't know if that takes you to the third fairy or if it opens a bonus area.

I was really liking the game before, but after the last couple of hours my opinion has increased dramatically.

The combat is great and fun, the enemies are a blast to fight, the environments are just unparalleled and somehow get wayyyy better as the game goes, the scope is breathtaking-- seriously some of these frames are ridiculous.

Just fought what I consider to be the best boss in the game so far with the best boss music I've heard in a long time. I like the characters a lot, even the villainous characters all have cool personalities and very passable dialogue and voice acting. The music, well I've already touched on that several times.

This is just me though. My reasoning is just based on my own preference as a guy who's been playing games for over 20 years now, but unless the game gets drastically worse from here on out, it's in my top five games of all time, fair and square. What I've played so far earns it ten-fold.

It's one of those products where nearly every element is something that I personally love, it almost feels like this game was tailor made to my preferences.

I'll stop swooning for now though, as with anything it could get worse and my opinion could change, but the game is going to have to seriously dial the ass kicking back several notches.

Ryu bogard said:
Its not castlevania but it's a good game.

I really cannot wait for more people to get up to about chapter 6-8.

rhino4evr

I only played the werewolf/warg tutorial and had to turn it off to pack for a week vacation. But damn those 15 minutes have me instantly hooked...looking forward to diggin in when I get back.

Despera said:
There was this small wooden pole you had to carry and then place on some kind of mechanism (it resembles a disc like shield) in order to rotate it. You can re-use that pole by pulling it out and placing it on another similar mechanism that's very close to it.

I don't know if that takes you to the third fairy or if it opens a bonus area.
Thanks! Gonna try it out!

burgerdog

Oh, yeah, 3-2 cleared in paladin difficulty and did the trial along side it, which is not to use any light magic to heal yourself. One life bar is all you get.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fuck, didnt get to play tonight. Went out drinking with friends instead! Anyway will probably resume this amazing game tomorrow. Still only in the 2nd chapter. Trying to make it last.

Barrett2

Wife booted me off the TV to watch Project Runway. Bah!

So far I'm very happy with the purchase. Dat' colorful environment.

Oneself

I've been playing for about 2 hours now and I like it.. it's not perfect, it definitely lacks polish (some jerky stuff/collisions and the often noted unstable framerate) but the combat system is good, the environments are varied and awesome looking etc.

I just think the soundtrack is waaay too "over the top fantasy movies Lords of the Ring & stuff" with brass orchestras and shit... I miss old school, dark (and much much more original) Castlevania soundtracks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
evilromero said:
Stuck in chapter 3.
Any advice?

take out the wooden thingy from the crank, and use it on the other one near it

It's ok I felt retarded at that part too for a bit

*edit* doh didnt see the post after. This is my goty though :D

Oneself said:
I just think the soundtrack is waaay too "over the top fantasy movies Lords of the Ring & stuff" with brass orchestras and shit... I miss old school, dark (and much much more original) Castlevania soundtracks.

If it's any consolation, the score adds some horror driven tracks later on. Where I'm at there's these screeching violins straight out of a Hitchcock film. If the first half of the game feels like LOTR, the second half feels something like Van Helsing but done correctly. It's seriously insane how drastically the game darkens as you go along. It makes for an awesome contrast.

Tokubetsu

brandonh83 said:
If it's any consolation, the score adds some horror driven tracks later on. Where I'm at there's these screeching violins straight out of a Hitchcock film. If the first half of the game feels like LOTR, the second half feels something like Van Helsing but done correctly. It's seriously insane how drastically the game darkens as you go along. It makes for an awesome contrast.

Yea, once you hit the castle everything takes a nose dive straight into bleak city. Especially their use of gore and horror themes.

I definitely feel like they nailed the castle. The interior really looks like horrible monsters and creatures of the night live there but more importantly, that they're not SUPPOSED to be there. That the castle was taken over and changed. It's kinda like looking at old ruins and seeing how nature has taken them over...only with evil :lol

george_us

I'm overall very, very happy with the route Mercury Steam with this. We've had the same Castlevania style for 13 years now so it's nice that they changed things up a bit although it's not as much as a departure as many would like to think. I also love the fact that reviewers harp on Lords of Darkness for ripping off modern games of today, conveniently forgetting the fact that Symphony blatantly ripped off the Metroid games.

owlbeak

The US regular version box art is awful.

Anyone have any fancy photoshopped versions of the box art I could use as a replacement? I love the image for the game on the 360 dashboard with the mask, I'd love that as box art.

MoxManiac

How the fuck do you save in this game? I just played for like an hour and a half, quit, reloaded and it started me back from the beginning! wtf!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I've decided that this thread + PS3 demo + Toys R US Deal next week = purchase.

This has been debated I imagine, but since I only played the PS3 demo, which version should I get, xbox or ps3. im agnostic, so it just comes out to which version has the edge

Animator

/\/\ Ps3 version has better controls, higher framerate and you wont need to change a disc.

--

This is probably my GOTY unless Vanquish really impress me and I am only in chapter 5 now.

Absolutely in love with the environment design in this game, they have some amazing artists at mercury.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Holy shit, this game is AWESOME!! It just keeps getting better and better the further you go.

First of all, the graphics are simply unreal. I'm continually jaw-dropped.

Second, the combat is actually fun and gets deeper the further you go. I love mixing it up and the combos aren't hard at all to pull off.

Finally, the music. I have been a Castlevania fan for a long time, but I'm by no means the ultimate authority on its music, so I understand if it's not up to par for the series, but I'm really impressed by it. It continually impresses me.

Fantastic game, lovin' it.

QisTopTier said:
take out the wooden thingy from the crank, and use it on the other one near it

It's ok I felt retarded at that part too for a bit

*edit* doh didnt see the post after. This is my goty though :D
Thanks both of you. Yeah I'm sailing now. Game is amazing. So much attention to detail. I must say this is what I always expected of a follow-up to Castlevania IV. It's just dripping with atmosphere.

If Konami were smart, they'd aquire this dev house. As long as the artists remain intact. Of course, Konami let Team Silent fall apart and they were also great artists too so ...

Zeal

Banned
Alex said:
That's it, I'm buyin it.

250px-Knight.jpg

You chose.........wisely, my friend.

Teknoman

MentalNoiz said:
If Konami were smart, they'd aquire this dev house. As long as the artists remain intact. Of course, Konami let Team Silent fall apart and they were also great artists too so ...

Yeah that would be great.

Animator said:
/\/\ Ps3 version has better controls, higher framerate and you wont need to change a disc.

Not sure about better controls, but ditto on all the rest plus LPCM audio. Comparing demos, there's more detail (hearing discordant musical notes I don't notice on the 360 version), a lusher soundscape and less SFX distortion (e.g. throwing a knife into the Lycanthrope head to get back on your horse), plus it's 7.1!

Hag

Just finished. DUDE UGGHSDAKWWDLK fucking awesome :D Now I gonna wait for the japanese Ps3 version to double dip this motherfucker =)

Also the boss in the Chapter XI
reminds me the 13th colossi, which is my favorite. So good.
:D

HOLY FUCK

soooo uhm yeah I seem to be actually out of the castle and... there is MORE GAME WHAT A FUCKIN TWIST and the wooded area and village with the scarecrows is somehow even more artistically brilliant than the castle, holy shit these guys have insane vision.

I am so excited about this

oh and the
battle with Olrox and Carmilla
... just... there are no words, none to be said

I'm at the point where I'm starting to feel legitimately sorry for people who bailed out only after the first few chapters or so, or those who refuse to play it because of the framerate, yeah its low, but... otherwise, just jesus fucking christ.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Is the demo indicative of the framerate throughout the game? :/

I would say so, yes. Sometimes it's a bit higher, sometimes it's a bit lower. Fortunately it keeps up well enough during combat; well enough in that it hasn't gotten in my way or killed my enjoyment, nothing of that sort. But yes, it is pretty low most of the time.

linkboy

I love the attention to detail in this game, , like how Gabriel blesses each dead body he comes across. Watch him, he makes a cross on his chest when he bends down to get the scroll.

Its small things like that that are one of the big reasons why I'm enjoying this game so much.

Kevtones

brandonh83 said:
I would say so, yes. Sometimes it's a bit higher, sometimes it's a bit lower. Fortunately it keeps up well enough during combat; well enough in that it hasn't gotten in my way or killed my enjoyment, nothing of that sort. But yes, it is pretty low most of the time.

Damn :(

It was really distracting to me in the demo. I usually can look past it but it really irked in this game for reason...

george_us

brandonh83 said:
HOLY FUCK

soooo uhm yeah I seem to be actually out of the castle and... there is MORE GAME WHAT A FUCKIN TWIST and the wooded area and village with the scarecrows is somehow even more artistically brilliant than the castle, holy shit these guys have insane vision.

I am so excited about this

oh and the
battle with Olrox and Carmilla
... just... there are no words, none to be said

I'm at the point where I'm starting to feel legitimately sorry for people who bailed out only after the first few chapters or so, or those who refuse to play it because of the framerate, yeah its low, but... otherwise, just jesus fucking christ.
Just wait son, shit continues to get real.

REALLY real.

teiresias

I don't know why I suck at this game so bad. I can't block anything in this game. I keep dodging instead of blocking, and so I can never build up my focus and get any massive doses of magic. I can't stand that dodge is active when you block and isn't on a separate stick, it's so damn frustrating.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there a trick to gremlin fighting that I was completely missing? On 2-6 I had a hell of a time fighting the huge groups of them, felt like I would get hit no matter what I did.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Damn :(

It was really distracting to me in the demo. I usually can look past it but it really irked in this game for reason...

I had the same issue. I'm not sure why. Bad framerates have been annoying but not to the point i'd loose interest in the games. Maybe its the constant choppiness and not sudden dips and then recoveries? I didn't even make it through the whole demo. I plan on renting the full game at some point and giving it another try.

I'm halfway in chapter 2 now.

Game is fun and pretty, but the hugest thing I'm really liking right now is how the mission select is laid out, and how you can immediately pick a level, see what collectibles are available and how many you've gotten. Terrific game design decision and presentation.

Environments look pretty stellar despite noticing some of the tricks they are using. I love the Spanish creature design sense, Guillermo del Toro type stuff (Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy). The whole of the visual design gives it a pretty unique look.

Combat seems cool, it feels a lot like GOW3 having to crowd control and evade for the most part. I'm still trying to work out exactly how the game wants me to fight. I do wish the framerate was higher, it almost has a stop motion feel sometimes. It goes into low framerate more gracefully than some other games, doesn't seem to mess up any of the combat timing or responsiveness so there isn't slow down in the engine, it just displays in stop motion :p.

Also, the little wolf things are all dark colored I feel like I'm losing track of them against the backgrounds. A little too much noise/clutter on screen it actually makes keeping track of combat tiring, and I feel like I get hit out of nowhere sometimes because I just lost track of some of the mobs.

Music is fitting the game so far I think, although it sort of fades into the background I prefer it that way. Can't wait to really get into it this weekend.

george_us said:
Just wait son, shit continues to get real.

REALLY real.

if you're right this is going to end up being one of my favorite games of all time, something I did not expect to ever say about it. it's already very high up on my list but if it actually keeps getting better I won't know what to think.

stopped right at the start of the music box level, so cool

Top Bottom