• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

forrest

formerly nacire
Relix said:
Well finally picked it up for PS3. Didn't lnow it had symphony of the nught included. Cool.

Yeah I really wish mine came with Symphony of the Night. I have yet to pick that one up. What it's inclusion a store specific thing?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nacire said:
Yeah I really wish mine came with Symphony of the Night. I have yet to pick that one up. What it's inclusion a store specific thing?
I guess so.

Mine also included a free copy (er PSN code). I thought it was standard.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I'm having some trouble with the
titan
in the second chapter.

I manage to get the first 2 weak points, but for the life of me cannot find where to move when he brings his hand up to knock you off after that

Ridley327

dark10x said:
I guess so.

Mine also included a free copy (er PSN code). I thought it was standard.
Best Buy offered it with all of their first-run copies, but it's possible that other retailers jumped in on that offer as well. Just look for the sticker on the front of the box.

Zerokku said:
titan
in the second chapter.

I manage to get the first 2 weak points, but for the life of me cannot find where to move when he brings his hand up to knock you off after that
the one on the arm. jump up before his hand swats you.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ridley327 said:
Best Buy offered it with all of their first-run copies, but it's possible that other retailers jumped in on that offer as well. Just look for the sticker on the front of the box.

Yeah I picked it from Best Buy and it had a code to be redeemed... but I think its bugged. It has a character I've never seen :lol I thought it was a comma at first... it looks like an L but turned around and small. No idea wtf that is :lol

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I thought that the saving "checkpoints" mid level do not start you off there if you quit, but it's only saving your position for restarting from checkpoint. I dunno, I've been playing levels all the way to the end for fear of losing my in-level progress. Would be great if I actually don't have to do that.

Almost positive you can shut it off and return to the checkpoint later. You get the narration again as the level loads but you start at the checkpoint.

forrest

formerly nacire
Ridley327 said:

I am cry. Guess I missed out. I was too broke so I had to do the Gamestop trade-in thing
to even get the game despite how much I loathe Gamestop.

Zerokku said:
titan
in the second chapter.

Yes, this game has a lot of points where they are VERY vague about what the hell you're supposed to be doing/where the hell you're supposed to be going. This part got me the first few times, and I was getting pissed off.

The next "huh" point is in chapter three when you have to use a stick at some point to turn some crank to open a gate, I was going through the level like 5 times before I realized I had to take the stick back out of the thing and use it in a completely different location on a crank that they "forgot?" to make "glow" so you'd know it was something that you could interact with. This was only after I had taken the stick out of the first crank, and then totally lost it when I accidentally swung up to a grapple point... the game actually just kind of tossed the stick out of my hands and off the map and for the longest time I thought the game had totally bugged me and I would have to do the whole level over again.

Luckily, forcing it to "restart from checkpoint" made the stick come back again, thank goodness. That was the second time the game bugged out for me on that level. The first time I got "stuck" on a grapple point where I was just wigging out at the top of it and could not move at all, and ungrappling resulted in falling to my death every time. So, I had to keep dying until I restarted from checkpoint there too.

LaneDS

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Yes, this game has a lot of points where they are VERY vague about what the hell you're supposed to be doing/where the hell you're supposed to be going. This part got me the first few times, and I was getting pissed off.

The next "huh" point is in chapter three when you have to use a stick at some point to turn some crank to open a gate, I was going through the level like 5 times before I realized I had to take the stick back out of the thing and use it in a completely different location on a crank that they "forgot?" to make "glow" so you'd know it was something that you could interact with. This was only after I had taken the stick out of the first crank, and then totally lost it when I accidentally swung up to a grapple point... the game actually just kind of tossed the stick out of my hands and off the map and for the longest time I thought the game had totally bugged me and I would have to do the whole level over again.

Luckily, forcing it to "restart from checkpoint" made the stick come back again, thank goodness. That was the second time the game bugged out for me on that level. The first time I got "stuck" on a grapple point where I was just wigging out at the top of it and could not move at all, and ungrappling resulted in falling to my death every time. So, I had to keep dying until I restarted from checkpoint there too.

Yeah, that part and looking for the four purple crystal things were both pretty annoying. Required going through the whole area multiple times and it's just bad level design if you ask me. Combined with the lack of camera control makes it worse.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Bootaaay said:
I'm really enjoying this, but feel that the game can't make up it's mind about whether it wants to tell you how to do everything, or if it wants you to use visual clues and figure it out on your own. One example; there was a bossfight early on where the game brings up a message telling you that you should dodge, yet when that sequence comes around again there's no cue - I was waiting for it to come up "press l2 + direction" again, so instead I just got swatted, but if it hadn't bothered to indicate that I should dodge in the first place I probably would've been paying more attention to the visual clues that indicate the boss is about to strike and figured out when to dodge on my own. As you progress, the boss attempts to squash you and you have to perform a sideways jump while gripping a ledge, yet the game this time decides not to inform you. Then there's a section where you have to scale around and when the boss tries to shake you off hold r2 to maintain your grip - at this point I decided to ignore the message and use the boss's movements to indicate when I should grip, but quickly discovered that no matter how much the boss thrashed about, the only time I could potentially lose my grip was when the 'hold r2' message was displayed on screen. So yeah, awesome game - just wish they'd pick whether they want to tell me how to do everything, or leave me to my own devices.

My thoughts exactly. I was trying to fight this same boss on knight mode last night and I kept getting swatted because I was conditioned to think that I would be prompted on what direction I needed to go. It would have been a much funner fight if the way you attacked the boss was a little more open ended. LOOK AT ME I'M A HOOK POINT. :lol

Total poor man's
shadow of colossus
btw.

LaneDS said:
Yeah, that part and looking for the four purple crystal things were both pretty annoying. Required going through the whole area multiple times and it's just bad level design if you ask me. Combined with the lack of camera control makes it worse.
That part was really straight forward. I think finding the gem before doing
pans puzzle is hard because of where the entrance is located.

dwebo

MadOdorMachine said:
On a more positive note, I'm liking the way you level up. It seems like you keep getting more and more powerful. I wasn't expecting some of the upgrades I've gotten and I like the way they encourage you to backtrack and defeat enemies to buy new upgrades. Too bad the combat feels off or else it would have been a lot more rewarding.
Agree mostly with everything you wrote except for this bit. I thought the level up system was poo. It rewards skillful play - using your combos and more situational moves intelligently. The only problem is that I'm not a skillful player. I like to button mash and maybe dodge if my health starts getting low (
the backwards somersault / attack combo
was about as fancy as my repertoire became). The whip's standard attacks do the same damage in Ch.1 as they do in Ch.12! God of War got this right. Upgrade your weapons to get more combos, And make their base damage higher. Reward even the terrible players like me, please :lol

edit: I still enjoyed the game overall, but the combat just got progressively more tedious for me.
Especially in the castle bits where every enemy you face takes at least a good twenty whacks to take down.

Oneself

henhowc said:
Total poor man's
shadow of colossus
btw.

Totally. A more clunky and uninteresting version of that in fact. Kinda like:
"hey how about a big snowy room totally out of place for a huge SOTC boss fight".
Looks good though.

Barrett2

Oh man, can't wait to get done working so I can get back to this. First game since Red Dead Redemption I have been really excited about playing.

I like the titan battles, they're not nearly as complex as they are in SOTC, but that game completely revolved around that. I feel that they're well done in this and very fun. Fighting them gave me the SOTC vibe and well, that's one of my favorite games ever so I'm not complaining.

Anyway, stuck pretty bad for the first time in the game.

Titan's Graveyard, I don't really know where to go, I found two key activators side by side on a big island thing and I've searched around everywhere surrounding it and just have no idea what to do.

knitoe

How do you do running jump riding a werewolf. On x360, says to double tap left stick then A, but double tapping stick just gets you into stop / block. I have been able to get pass few bridges by luck.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Platforming is dumb as fuck and the white ring QTEs are confusing.

Graphics look amazing, jaggy but good. FPS can get too messy even for me but what the heck its awesome. Music is in godly levels

Now if anyone could tell me how the hell can I type a character that seems like an upside down L so I can get SOTN.

Synless

I'm just finishing up the second chapter and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the game. While the framerate does add some distraction the game is simply gorgeous and easily up there with many other of the great looking titles on the PS3/360. I'm really liking the gameplay as well. I can honestly say that MercurySteam has done a fantastic job so far in making the best 3d Castlevania and a great game overall.

Synless

Relix said:

Graphics look amazing, jaggy but good. FPS can get too messy even for me but what the heck its awesome. Music is in godly levels

Now if anyone could tell me how the hell can I type a character that seems like an upside down L so I can get SOTN.
it's a , (comma)

While I'm in here, I have a PSN version of SOTN and I already owned it previously. Does anyone have a 360 version of the code that would like to trade?

Relix said:

Relix said:

Is it 7?

Edit : beaten like a thing that is beaten.

Ledsen

knitoe said:
How do you do running jump riding a werewolf. On x360, says to double tap left stick then A, but double tapping stick just gets you into stop / block. I have been able to get pass few bridges by luck.
You don't actually click the stick, you just tap forward twice. Stupid that it doesn't run automatically.

dwebo

brandonh83 said:
Titan's Graveyard, I don't really know where to go, I found two key activators side by side on a big island thing and I've searched around everywhere surrounding it and just have no idea what to do.

Found this bit super annoying as well.
One of them is in a room at the end of the cave hall that you can reach from the main island with the activators. You just have to go right even though the camera doesn't pan to show you there's a room there. Once you put in that key, it raises an arm so that you can reach the other area with the 2nd key. Alternately, you can just sprint/double jump there like I did, though again you have to work against the camera here since it shows you the area from a distance, but when you get close it, you have to just blindly jump across poison swamp.

RedAssedApe

Banned
CaptYamato said:
REALLY? You wait for the big circle to shrink into the small one and press any face button.

Its unclear at first because there seems to be some leeway as to when exactly you can press the button. I've gotten it to register as a success sometimes when I thought I totally botched it and vice-versa. My TV is relatively input lag free.

burgerdog

brandonh83 said:
I like the titan battles, they're not nearly as complex as they are in SOTC, but that game completely revolved around that. I feel that they're well done in this and very fun. Fighting them gave me the SOTC vibe and well, that's one of my favorite games ever so I'm not complaining.

Anyway, stuck pretty bad for the first time in the game.

+1. I wanted to break the disc when I got stuck there, too. I explored everything and was at the cave like 15 times but never figured it out because you can't see that the cave has an immediate exit to the right. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
CaptYamato said:
REALLY? You wait for the big circle to shrink into the small one and press any face button.

The game never told me this :lol I tried to circle, jerk controller, and then X worked fine. I was confused as heck initially.

Gonna try 7 and comma, though I am sure I tried comma already.

EDIT:

The code that you entered is invalid. Plesae check your code and try again.

Nice.. :lol :lol 7 nor comma work. Fucks.

burgerdog

Truant said:
I'm in the third chapter I think, just beat the Dead Bog level. How many chapters are there?
You're in chapter 1 still. If you just beat the bog then you're in 1-4. There's 12 chapters, which range from 1 stage to 8(maybe 7) stages per chapter.

Wow. Stuck again so fast in Chapter 7 I believe. Puzzle thingy.
The pachinko puzzle where you have to turn all the levers green is confusing me a bit. I've played around with it and can't seem to find a good method.

dwebo

evilromero said:
Wow. Stuck again so fast in Chapter 7 I believe. Puzzle thingy.

Unlock that sucker! That puzzle was terrible :lol
The solution was 1,2,2,2,2,2,3 IIRC if you want to keep the exp gains.

burgerdog said:
+1. I wanted to break the disc when I got stuck there, too. I explored everything and was at the cave like 15 times but never figured it out because you can't see that the cave has an immediate exit to the right. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

:lol

yeah I finally found it, christ.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
:lol

yeah I finally found it, christ.
Guy in the stream I watched got stuck there for about half an hour. Some rather odd camera placement and puzzle designs from time to time.

How did you like the music box level?

LowParry

Where the fuck is this cave exit or whatever in Chp. 9? Jump, poison, explore. Jump, poison explore. After 20 mins I'm taking a break. There's some island that has the three red coffins but figure it triggers later. And the previous chapter was pretty damn cool. Wish it was a little more complex but it will do.

Dascu

CcrooK said:
Where the fuck is this cave exit or whatever in Chp. 9? Jump, poison, explore. Jump, poison explore. After 20 mins I'm taking a break. There's some island that has the three red coffins but figure it triggers later. And the previous chapter was pretty damn cool. Wish it was a little more complex but it will do.
Read the last couple of posts.

Tokubetsu

Dascu said:
Guy in the stream I watched got stuck there for about half an hour. Some rather odd camera placement and puzzle designs from time to time.

How did you like the music box level?

I loved that level actually. A couple reviews name dropped it because they hated it so much but it took me 15 minutes top. I guess I just don't suck at platforming :lol

I have also yet to get stuck on any of these areas. Explore more!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game. Liked the ending. I had to turn it off before I could check if there was a New Game X feature (starts new game with all unlocked weapons and abilities). Is this feature avaliable?

Volcynika

Vilix said:
Finished the game. Liked the ending. I had to turn it off before I could check if there was a New Game X feature (starts new game with all unlocked weapons and abilities). Is this feature avaliable?

I would think it would just unlock the last difficulty possibly, considering you can change the difficulty on the fly.

burgerdog

Tokubetsu said:
I loved that level actually. A couple reviews name dropped it because they hated it so much but it took me 15 minutes top. I guess I just don't suck at platforming :lol

I have also yet to get stuck on any of these areas. Explore more!
Uh, there's very little platforming in that stage. So it's not about being good or bad at it. The rage comes from a ridiculous camera angle. Like I said, I stood a few inches from where I had to go but the camera cock blocked me.

Relix said:
CaptYamato said:
I'm going to second Relix's question. I've been confused by this, as well. The whole time I've been under the impression that I have to press "A" during a QTE only when the inner circle becomes aligned with the smaller circle.

Top Bottom