• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Tokubetsu

I really wish the piece of music that plays in 10-3 was on the soundtrack that came with the CE. It plays a couple of times throughout the game elsewhere.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DJ Lushious said:
I'm going to second Relix's question. I've been confused by this, as well. The whole time I've been under the impression that I have to press "A" during a QTE only when the inner circle becomes aligned with the smaller circle.

The game tells you what to do the first time you grab an enemy, tough...

What's with all these people not knowing how to do the circle qte? They show you how on the very first level of the game.

Edit: beaten

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_tetsuo_ said:

Didn't know I also have to dealt with that outside the game =P. It has some odd design decisions, but so far I am having quite a bit of fun. FPS isn't that bad in Chapter 2 as well so I am a happy guy :D

Dascu said:
How did you like the music box level?

I thought it was very well done. It requires some memorization
figuring out which color controls each obstacle and I liked that the music box played Vampire Killer. It was a great way to use that song without overblowing it and taking away from the fact that this is a reboot, they don't want to reuse a lot of things from the older games so dropping a few things in with a subtle flourish I felt was the way to go.

So far, I'd say it's one of the neater ideas I've encountered with the game.

I have a lot more things to say about the game once I've beaten it, 99% of which are astronomically positive.

Maffis

DJ Lushious said:
I'm going to second Relix's question. I've been confused by this, as well. The whole time I've been under the impression that I have to press "A" during a QTE only when the inner circle becomes aligned with the smaller circle.

Kind of your own fault for not comprehending the tutorial. I find the QTE's in this game to be perfect. You don't have to think much, but it requires a little timing. They're not rage-unducing and doesn't distract from the cinematic, like in God of War.

All you have to do is press a face button as soon as the outer circle has passed through the inner one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Henchmen21 said:
What's with all these people not knowing how to do the circle qte? They show you how on the very first level of the game.

Yah. Dunno what issue is.

I like that any face button press will suffice for the ringed QTE's. I fail at these far less than in other QTE heavy titles. I feel that if I mess up it's entirely my fault, whereas in something like God of War, I feel like I'm being punished for something stupid.

Relix said:
Tell that to me as I fell from that horse in the second level twice :lol :lol

man up Relix

1. wait until bigger circle shrinks down into the inner circle
2. press any face button
3. make something your bitch

Foffy

Banned
Relix said:

Just gotta get used to it is all. I had a bit of difficulty when the ring was used in areas that are 60 fps because the timing was much quicker.

Also, I think it's a cute touch that the bosses seem to have smarter AI on the hardest setting. You can't just hold the wooden pole to impale the first boss anymore. :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
brandonh83 said:
man up Relix

1. wait until bigger circle shrinks down into the inner circle
2. press any face button
3. make something your bitch

Yeah I got used to it already, but initially I was lost =P

RedAssedApe

Banned
Relix said:

Wait...I thought you were supposed to fall off the horse to fight more wolves? Or are you able to get all the way through the level without having to do any ground fighting? :lol

Foffy said:
Just gotta get used to it is all. I had a bit of difficulty when the ring was used in areas that are 60 fps because the timing was much quicker.

Also, I think it's a cute touch that the bosses seem to have smarter AI on the hardest setting. You can't just hold the wooden pole to impale the first boss anymore. :lol

That shit confused the hell out of me the first time I played because I didn't pick the pole up when prompted. I kept trying to pick the pole up while the big wolf was jumping around raping the villagers and I was like WTF I can't move with this. :lol

Favorite part of the game so far (paraphrasing):

"Lady Gaga sent our hero to the Titan's Graveyard and I sent her to hell."

_tetsuo_ said:
Henchmen21 said:

Maffis said:
Kind of your own fault for not comprehending the tutorial. I find the QTE's in this game to be perfect. You don't have to think much, but it requires a little timing. They're not rage-unducing and doesn't distract from the cinematic, like in God of War.

All you have to do is press a face button as soon as the outer circle has passed through the inner one.
Well, the tutorial was many many gameplay hours ago for me and my memory isn't so hot. And it's not like there's an instruction manual that makes this any easier to reference. I love how the 20+ page manual is just the same 3-4 pages in various languages.

I definitely wouldn't have failed quite so many QTEs had I understood this better. :lol

AcciDante

The platforming in 8-2
(Clockwork Tower)
is fucking destroying me. I can't see a place to jump.
edit: I hate this level.

AcciDante

Sorry for the double post, but I need some assistance. I'm on the level mentioned above. Just raised the platform up once, and now I need to climb up a wall past 2 lines of electricity. I can't jump over the first one. I have to be doing something wrong! What else can I do!?

Victrix

*beard*
AcciDante said:
Sorry for the double post, but I need some assistance. I'm on the level mentioned above. Just raised the platform up once, and now I need to climb up a wall past 2 lines of electricity. I can't jump over the first one. I have to be doing something wrong! What else can I do!?

Bounce out from the wall, then pull yourself up

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The after credits CGI was really good. Good way to set up the story the next game. I'm guessing the title will be Castlevania: The Misadventures of Shadow Man and Fang.

Hellion

brandonh83 said:
I like that any face button press will suffice for the ringed QTE's. I fail at these far less than in other QTE heavy titles. I feel that if I mess up it's entirely my fault, whereas in something like God of War, I feel like I'm being punished for something stupid.

GOW3 QTE couldn't be any easier...

Hellion said:
GOW3 QTE couldn't be any easier...

It's not hard. I just hate getting a boss down, and failing because I pressed the wrong button during the heat of the moment. I guess it's easier for some people, I personally can't stand it. Castlevania does not do this to me.

LowParry

AcciDante said:

Lemme think here. Ah yes. Jump twice with triangle. :D

dwebo

brandonh83 said:
It's not hard. I just hate getting a boss down, and failing because I pressed the wrong button during the heat of the moment. I guess it's easier for some people, I personally can't stand it. Castlevania does not do this to me.
I think the (slight) problem I had with the QTEs is that it's counter to what nearly every other game requires you to do, which is to just push the button as soon as it appears on the screen. After I got used to that, I had to adjust to the fact that you shouldn't aim for when the circles intersect, as you'll occasionally be too early. You have the entire time between that point and when the circle collapses entirely, so the key is just to wait. Which is really the last thing you want to do when you're at the end of a boss fight and your adrenaline is pumping and messing up regenerates a third of the boss's health and/or kills you. :lol

burgerdog

AcciDante said:
Oh my god, when the hell did it tell you could do that?! Uuuugh, thanks guys.
They never did. Fuck that section, too. This and the awesome sauce cave are the low points in the game for me. Overall, I really loved the game.

AcciDante

8-2 is seriously making me lose my mind. Everytime I get past one terrible sequence, theres another right after it. UUUUUUUUUUGH!

Volcynika

Yay, beat the chapter 3 boss!

I like how his name was Cornell as a throwback to CV64. Also I cheaped him during his second form, guarded one attack, went into focus mode, then from there on out I kept hitting him with both my Shadow attacks and regular attacks to get more elements from him :lol

LowParry

AcciDante said:
8-2 is seriously making me lose my mind. Everytime I get past one terrible sequence, theres another right after it. UUUUUUUUUUGH!

Wait till you get to 9 where you don't know where the fuck you're suppose to go. :lol

brandonh83 said:

Yes. This is the first game to get it right.

AcciDante

CcrooK said:
Wait till you get to 9 where you don't know where the fuck you're suppose to go. :lol

Great. Can this game just fucking end! I'm at the end of the horrible platforming sequences of 8-2, and there's one of those rotating lever thingamajigs that I have to turn, but it won't turn. It just stops half way every time and kicks me off. Love it.

LowParry

AcciDante said:
Great. Can this game just fucking end! I'm at the end of the horrible platforming sequences of 8-2, and there's one of those rotating lever thingamajigs that I have to turn, but it won't turn. It just stops half way every time and kicks me off. Love it.

Gotta keep an eye out on your surroundings ;)

AcciDante

CcrooK said:
Gotta keep an eye out on your surroundings ;)

Dude, please just tell me if I'm missing something. It finally turned, but
I had to stop because of the spider, so I whooped him
and now it won't turn again.

AcciDante

AcciDante said:
Dude, please just tell me if I'm missing something. It finally turned, but
I had to stop because of the spider, so I whooped him
and now it won't turn again.

One more post, I swear! This is on 8-2.

O.k, I need some help. I am in 8-2 and I have to raise a platform. I grab the mechanism and the arms on the platform retract, however as soon as the arms are fully retracted Gabe lets go of the mechanism automatically. I can't raise the platform in the time it takes the arms to retract so I am at my wits end. Is this a bug, or am I missing something obvious?

Ricker

Holy crap at the Cornell(sp?) Boss fight...anyone who beats this guy on the highest difficulty should get 500 achievements or trophy points :lol ... :D

AcciDante

the_prime_mover said:
O.k, I need some help. I am in 8-2 and I have to raise a platform. I grab the mechanism and the arms on the platform retract, however as soon as the arms are fully retracted Gabe lets go of the mechanism automatically. I can't raise the platform in the time it takes the arms to retract so I am at my wits end. Is this a bug, or am I missing something obvious?

I'm at the same part! Someone save us!

Ricker said:
Holy crap at the Cornell(sp?) Boss fight...anyone who beats this guy on the highest difficulty should get 500 achievements or trophy points :lol ... :D

I'm almost at the end of the game on Knight and let me tell you, that boss has been by far the most difficult battle. In fact, I think that boss broke me in on the combat system to the point where the rest of the game has been a breeze with the exception of a few encounters here and there, but that was mainly because I would get to them with low health.

Even
Carmilla, the second Lord, was vanilla pudding compared to Cornell
. When I beat that boss I was like what, really? :lol

burgerdog

Ricker said:
I beat him in Paladin difficulty AND did the trial at the same time(Can't use light magic to heal yourself.) Give me a bro fist bump.

CaptYamato said:
Cornell is hard. I'm having tons of trouble on him.
I will not change the difficulty though.

You can parry almost all of his moves and the ground slam is highly telegraphed. Just keep rolling and picking away at him from afar. When he is in close you just have to look for the opportunity to parry and be ready to roll if you see his hands flash yellow. His second phase is actually easier.

+Exquisite scenery, atmospheric music and top-notch voice acting
+fun (if generic) combat, epic boss battles
+lengthy

-some frustrating as hell Shadow of the Colossus battles and platforming segments
-sometimes easy to get lost, had to consult guides a few times
-music is high quality but not memorable

So yeah, I'd go along with the Bs and 7/8 scores. The art design though is A+ imo and I can't wait to see where they go with this (what an ending!). Also cool to see such a small team in the credits make such a massive game, you'd think 100+ people were on the dev side.

CaptYamato said:
Cornell is hard. I'm having tons of trouble on him.
I will not change the difficulty though.

It's... doable. Concentrate on building your focus bar to make him start dropping magic orbs, and take things very slowly. Dodge very often, even when you don't think you're about to get hit. Because you are.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Anyone else notice a reference to Portal in Level 3? One of the scrolls said something about the cake not being a lie. What's up with that?

Top Bottom