• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

MadOdorMachine said:
Anyone else notice a reference to Portal in Level 3? One of the scrolls said something about the cake not being a lie. What's up with that?

It's just that, a reference. The game also references the Great Deku tree (in the scroll it's spelled "Dekuh") from Ocarina of Time.

Ricker said:
Holy crap at the Cornell(sp?) Boss fight...anyone who beats this guy on the highest difficulty should get 500 achievements or trophy points :lol ... :D

I think that fight was when it finally clicked for me about how they want me to play this game. I didn't find it that hard at all, in fact, I think I had less trouble with that than just fighting some of the bigger normal monsters early on in the game. If he's the hardest boss in the game, I'm kind of relieved to hear that.

burgerdog

brandonh83 said:
It's... doable. Concentrate on building your focus bar to make him start dropping magic orbs, and take things very slowly. Dodge very often, even when you don't think you're about to get hit. Because you are.
This game! We have completely different playstyles. I go for parry shadow magic rape whenever possible. I go heavy on the offensive and parry, only dodging when I see a glowing swipe.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I think that fight was when it finally clicked for me about how they want me to play this game. I didn't find it that hard at all, in fact, I think I had less trouble with that than just fighting some of the bigger normal monsters early on in the game. If he's the hardest boss in the game, I'm kind of relieved to hear that.

I agree, this boss was practically okay look, if you want to stand a chance playing on harder difficulties, drop a nut and take it like a man. I didn't find it easy at all, but eventually I found a great rhythm and stuck to that and eventually did it.

That's when I truly became incredibly impressed with the combat system.

burgerdog said:
This game! We have completely different playstyles. I go for parry shadow magic rape whenever possible. I go heavy on the offensive and parry, only dodging when I see a glowing swipe.

Nah, I do that too. The trick is to basically combine all of these tactics for ultimate supremacy.

burgerdog

The final battle trial requires combat perfection, or you can pussy out and take an hour to beat the boss. Felt so good after completing that one as well.

AcciDante

the_prime_mover said:
O.k, I need some help. I am in 8-2 and I have to raise a platform. I grab the mechanism and the arms on the platform retract, however as soon as the arms are fully retracted Gabe lets go of the mechanism automatically. I can't raise the platform in the time it takes the arms to retract so I am at my wits end. Is this a bug, or am I missing something obvious?

Can someone that beat it answer this!? PLEASE!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
brandonh83 said:
It's just that, a reference. The game also references the Great Deku tree (in the scroll it's spelled "Dekuh") from Ocarina of Time.

And I thought the story plot was the only thing CLoS copied from OoT. Well, not copied. Got their inspiration from?

Vilix said:
And I thought the story plot was the only thing CLoS copied from OoT. Well, not copied. Got their inspiration from?

I didn't make any story connections between this and Ocarina, maybe it just went straight over my head or something.

AcciDante

brandonh83 said:
I think it's a glitch. What you have to do is actually LET GO of R2. No joke. Grab it with R2, and then release before turning.

Alright, well I couldn't let go of it, BUT I just started hitting every button on the controller in a rage, toggling light/dark powers on and off, and now it worked. Awesome. I despise this game after this shit show of a level.

briandek

Neo Member
the_prime_mover said:
O.k, I need some help. I am in 8-2 and I have to raise a platform. I grab the mechanism and the arms on the platform retract, however as soon as the arms are fully retracted Gabe lets go of the mechanism automatically. I can't raise the platform in the time it takes the arms to retract so I am at my wits end. Is this a bug, or am I missing something obvious?

Don't hold R2 while turning, just press it once to grab the arm and turn, press it again to let go.

brandonh83 said:
I think it's a glitch. What you have to do is actually LET GO of R2. No joke. Grab it with R2, and then release before turning.

This seems to be the correct answer. I just tried that and it works fine. It seem you just have to tap R2, if you hold it for even a moment it seems to reset.

d0c_zaius

This game is amazing. It may have some problems, but its an amazing effort for a small studio from Spain.

I was hating on the reboot concept before, but Gabriel is an awesome character and of course the art design is really nice. The gameplay is solid, and while it copies (or has homages) to other titles, the entire package really stands on it's own (and despite some amazing visuals, GOW3 fell flat on it's face).

Good job Mercurysteam! You gained a fan :D .

george_us

Animator said:
Man the skeleton warriors are the hardest enemies in this game by far.
Skeleton warriors are easy if you can counterattack effectively. Actually pretty much every enemy in the game is easy if you learn how to counterattack.:lol

brandonh83 said:
I agree, this boss was practically okay look, if you want to stand a chance playing on harder difficulties, drop a nut and take it like a man. I didn't find it easy at all, but eventually I found a great rhythm and stuck to that and eventually did it.

That's when I truly became incredibly impressed with the combat system.

That fight was when it finally occurred to me that just standing there and attempting to actually synchro block the attack pays dividends. Up until that point, I was always out of magic and rolling around the place like an idiot. I'm not sure how easy it would be to synchro block when you have a bunch of little minions after you all at the same time as a big boy though.

So, for this guy... dodge when it looks like he's going to glow strike or ram you, otherwise just sit there and wait for him to come to you and block when he strikes. You'll focus right away, stagger him and you can get a bunch of heavy direct blows in before he recovers. Suck up the orbs (I hate that they don't just come to you automatically, seriously holding down one of the stick buttons is awkward and they disappear so damn fast), switch to light magic and heal if you need to, rinse and repeat.

Skewering him with a bunch of shadow magic daggers right at the start doesn't hurt either.

Of course, I died the first time after the third form change because
the game gave me no indication that exploding the stupid statues was what I needed to do and that I couldn't damage him at all directly at that point therefore no way to heal. In fact, during the form change cutscene it gave me the impression that the firey statue things were going to come to life and I'd have half a dozen more monsters to deal with

I am seriously sick of all of the ground pound attacks in the game by now though. Seriously, the ground pound attacks range is ridiculous it should be limited to an area much closer to the pounder.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got to chapter 4! I was about to crap my pants at the chapter 3 boss fight after reading about it here(I'm on Knight as well), but I actually found it incredibly easy.

The trick is
just guarding. On the second form, you can counter EVERY move except for the obvious ones. Even his ground slam, you can counter his hands on the way down. I constantly had a full focus meter, and I never moved out of his face so he never did a shoulder charge. I would just parry him constantly, get a shitton of orbs on the screen, parry his next attack but absorb the orbs instead of attacking, then unleash hell on him.

I actually had more trouble on the ending part because
I was trying to smash the statues with the gauntlets, took me awhile before I realized you can just hit them.

the_prime_mover said:
You can parry almost all of his moves and the ground slam is highly telegraphed. Just keep rolling and picking away at him from afar. When he is in close you just have to look for the opportunity to parry and be ready to roll if you see his hands flash yellow. His second phase is actually easier.
I'll try that later on. Can't play right now kid is here.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It sounds like I'm the only one who made it through this game with pretty much zero trouble with any of the puzzles or platforming. :lol

Tokubetsu said:
Fuck necromancers

Necromancers are haaard if you have no holy water. It pretty much becomes a battle of attrition because I don't think I was ever able to figure out how to block even one of their attacks. Just keep attacking and dodging and wearing them down.

Y2Kev said:
Oh my gosh, I am salivating waiting to leave work and play this game omgfgggg

how far are you? I can't stress enough how everything literally gets better as you go. The environments and atmosphere keeps dialing up, the combat gets better, the bosses go from really cool to being the greatest boss fights ever (
Brauner, Mechanical Creation, Olrox, Carmilla-- I'm looking at you folks
), and story wise it keeps getting far more interesting with unexpected twists when it comes to level variety and the places you have to go.

I haven't beaten it yet so of course things could go downhill at any moment, but I'm two chapters away from the end and I don't see that happening.

NeoUltima

luka said:
It sounds like I'm the only one who made it through this game with pretty much zero trouble with any of the puzzles or platforming. :lol
I didn't either...except for
throwing exploding dagger at switch.

Papercuts said:
Just got to chapter 4! I was about to crap my pants at the chapter 3 boss fight after reading about it here(I'm on Knight as well), but I actually found it incredibly easy.

The trick is
just guarding. On the second form, you can counter EVERY move except for the obvious ones. Even his ground slam, you can counter his hands on the way down. I constantly had a full focus meter, and I never moved out of his face so he never did a shoulder charge. I would just parry him constantly, get a shitton of orbs on the screen, parry his next attack but absorb the orbs instead of attacking, then unleash hell on him.

I actually had more trouble on the ending part because
I was trying to smash the statues with the gauntlets, took me awhile before I realized you can just hit them.

I just beat him, but I took the easy way out, just dodged alot, bided my time and didn't overly commit to any combos.

The opening area of chapter 4 is stunning, but alas I must go to bed now.

Okay, I'll bite, I have no idea what to do here. Chapter 10.

HOW IN THE GOD DAMN NAME OF FUCK DO YOU GET INTO THE CREMATORY OVEN I HAVE PISSED ON, RAPED, AND PERFORMED EXORCISM RITUALS ON THESE FUCKING GONGS AND NOTHING!!

NOTHING

but seriously, my god.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
At chapter 2-2 now. The
ice titan
was pretty neat, although the shitty camera and all the snow made it confusing when you're supposed to
push R2 to latch onto his arm
. I'm playing this on easy, and already the first boss is way harder than most bosses in God of War on normal :lol

LaneDS

It's refreshing to see the thread for this (and the comparison thread) at so many pages. I seem to see games with lengthy threads do pretty well sales wise, I hope that's the case here. Not expecting gigantic numbers, but I want it to be a clear success for Konami and Mercury Steam.

Teknoman

Combichristoffersen said:
At chapter 2-2 now. The
ice titan
was pretty neat, although the shitty camera and all the snow made it confusing when you're supposed to
push R2 to latch onto his arm
. I'm playing this on easy, and already the first boss is way harder than most bosses in God of War on normal :lol

Just look for anything shimmery for latch points.

burgerdog

brandonh83 said:

HOW IN THE GOD DAMN NAME OF FUCK DO YOU GET INTO THE CREMATORY OVEN I HAVE PISSED ON, RAPED, AND PERFORMED EXORCISM RITUALS ON THESE FUCKING GONGS AND NOTHING!!

NOTHING

but seriously, my god.
Gaunlet punch a gong, and then the other before the green bar resets.

NeoUltima

brandonh83 said:

NOTHING

but seriously, my god.
Use the L2+Hold Square punch thingy. Hit both gongs one after another within a short time frame.
edit: beat

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ending spoilers

Obviously this game is setting up for stuff that is more castlevaniaish in the future, I MEAN fucking slogras corpse is in the damn ending. BTW gabriel isnt a damn belmont that's his adopted name, also the little girl vampire was never killed and the book itself said she had a bigger role to play, she obviously changed him =P

Teknoman

Btw please spoiler boss names too. One in particular, while not a Castlevania regular, had his own game at a certain point.

theultimo

Player through Chapter 1, and its a good game, just not Castlevania. Taking elements from GoW and SoTC though, makes a nice deja vu. Game is fun.

NeoUltima

QisTopTier said:
Ending spoilers

Obviously this game is setting up for stuff that is more castlevaniaish in the future, I MEAN fucking slogras corpse is in the damn ending. BTW gabriel isnt a damn belmont that's his adopted name, also the little girl vampire was never killed and the book itself said she had a bigger role to play, she obviously changed him =P
Thing I am wondering
What exactly do they do with the sequel? Do they do the stuff in between, when Dracula was still ruling and kicking ass(traditional Castlevania), or do they ignore that stuff and continue from the ending? And wtf, I thought Zobek was dead.
Either way, I just hope the game sells enough for a sequel to be greenlit.

george_us

QisTopTier said:
Ending spoilers

Completely unrelated thought: That girl's art in the gallery is creepy as fuck. Shit sent chills down my spine when I first saw it.

theultimo said:
Player through Chapter 1, and its a good game, just not Castlevania. Taking elements from GoW and SoTC though, makes a nice deja vu. Game is fun.
I'll have to disagree. You'll understand more later on. You just started.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
NeoUltima said:
I didn't either...except for
throwing exploding dagger at switch.

Actually yeah, that got me for a bit. I don't think there was actually a precedent for that one. I mean it was obvious that daggers were necessary because there is a dagger refill bag right there, you just have to make the connection.

i basically figured it out by mashing buttons :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
theultimo said:

God honestly they should have cut out the entire first chapter of the game. It's terrible compared to the rest of it and nothing like what comes later. There are only 3 SOTC-style titan battles in the entire 20 hour game and there is a lot more environmental navigation and platforming than GoW.

I'm a HUGE diehard fan of the series (castlevania 3 was the first videogame I ever played) and I was extremely pleased with how faithful this ended up being. I don't think people realize just how difficult it would be to properly translate CV's mixture of platforming and combat into 3D. It just doesn't work the same. It CAN'T work the same. CV isn't like Mario and it's mechanics aren't as immediately transferable.

This is far more of a Castlevania game than anything Iga did in 3D.

dwebo

SixStringPsycho said:
So can anyone confirm if snake is playable or the kojima unlockable is? Ive read the snake thing is not true
After you beat the game, you get a Snake option in the Extras menu that lets you wear the bandanna and solid eye on Gabriel.

gunstarhero

God honestly they should have cut out the entire first chapter of the game. It's terrible compared to the rest of it and nothing like what comes later. There are only 3 SOTC-style titan battles in the entire 20 hour game and there is a lot more environmental navigation and platforming than GoW.

I'm a HUGE diehard fan of the series (castlevania 3 was the first videogame I ever played) and I was extremely pleased with how faithful this ended up being. I don't think people realize just how difficult it would be to properly translate CV's mixture of platforming and combat into 3D. It just doesn't work the same. It CAN'T work the same. CV isn't like Mario and it's mechanics aren't as immediately transferable.

That's good to know! :D

Was just playing near the end of chapter 2 - where there are some good platforming moments ( without the annoying hints ) and THATS when it started feeling like a CV game to me. Glad to know we get more of that!

Top Bottom