• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

LiK

haunts said:
Yeah a lot of people have been complaining about framerate issues to me but I havent encountered any. Is this just a 360 issue?

maybe, i noticed stuttering and framerate issues in a several areas which were a bit annoying. but i dont want this to be that comparison thread so i'll leave it at that.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
LiK said:
maybe, i noticed stuttering and framerate issues in a several areas which were a bit annoying. but i dont want this to be that comparison thread so i'll leave it at that.

ahhh... yeah ill go check it out, i stayed away from all the threads until i beat it. lol

Future

At the last fight

concentric circles. Haha Christ. It's like the devs just try to piss you off. Here I am beating ass but I die 5 times because I'm havin a hard time telling when to switch from red to blue to match a damn circle on the ground. What the fuckity fuck

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Future said:
At the last fight

concentric circles. Haha Christ. It's like the devs just try to piss you off. Here I am beating ass but I die 5 times because I'm havin a hard time telling when to switch from red to blue to match a damn circle on the ground. What the fuckity fuck

after you are past the outside part the inside with the runes you are ok to swap

LiK said:
Framerate stutters a lot and sometime pauses during combat on 360 (not installed).

Not a dealbreaker for me though.

Future

Phew, finally done. Not sure how I feel about this game just yet. On the one hand, clearly one of the better western action and adventure. Dantes, wolverine, etc.. Not in the same league. Sense of scale rivals GOW IMO, and actually may outdo the 3rd.

But even though I enjoyed getting to new areas and seeing new enemies and bosses, I'm not sure how much fun I actually had. I was definitely entertained, but I was frustrated by a lot of the design decisions for cameras, platforming, and combat. Many times I'd die taking leaps of faith. I'd fight back to back bosses, only to start the 2nd with a sliver of health because they wouldn't heal me. Lack of proper ai reactions caused me to fall back on the same quick combos. Cheap ai attacks met cheap hits abound. Some of the puzzles were pretty damn tedious, even when knowing the solution. Titans were trial and error. Ugh so many things in the gameplay dept. Playing on hard really made the combat flaws shine through IMO

But still the ride was entertaining. Especially around chapter 5. Story also kept me goin.

teiresias

How in the HELL are you supposed to beat the stupid
Mechanical Monstrosity
??

Having to use the Landslide Punch (and you're f@#$ing inability to aim it properly) wasn't such a problem when it was just part of solving a puzzle, but now that I have to use it to actually beat something in a time-crunch scenario, the fact that I'll start priming it in the air and f@#$ing Gabriel will TURN THE F@#$ AROUND IN MID AIR and go in the damn opposite direction is driving me insane!! Not to mention that you have to hit this relatively small target and it doesn't give you alot of leeway for missing. This is entirely frustrating and doing the fight on Squire difficulty is no help at all, anyone? If the damn Punch would go straight down it wouldn't be such a problem, but it doesn't!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
teiresias said:
Mechanical Monstrosity
??

Having to use the Landslide Punch (and you're f@#$ing inability to aim it properly) wasn't such a problem when it was just part of solving a puzzle, but now that I have to use it to actually beat something in a time-crunch scenario, the fact that I'll start priming it in the air and f@#$ing Gabriel will TURN THE F@#$ AROUND IN MID AIR and go in the damn opposite direction is driving me insane!! Not to mention that you have to hit this relatively small target and it doesn't give you alot of leeway for missing. This is entirely frustrating and doing the fight on Squire difficulty is no help at all, anyone? If the damn Punch would go straight down it wouldn't be such a problem, but it doesn't!

I just used my whip >.> and abused the boots flippy attack skill

not to shit on this thread but i found out gamefly has game rental kiosks in some 7-11's and since my ps3 is all i have for the weekend i decided to grab castlevania

jesus this game is boring. it's probably just not my cup of tea, but for a god of war/pop ripoff it's really missing a lot of what makes those games compelling. i played for around 5 hours before throwing in the towel-- i got tired of waiting for it to really grab me

it plays well and everything bu i felt like each level and encounter was becoming increasingly monotonous, and the story's just not doing it for me. i'll probably get a lot of hate about this if anyone read the post, but i thought i'd share my two cents before moving on to the next thing

Animator

teiresias said:
Mechanical Monstrosity
??

Throw down a holy water with light magic active and go to town on him. When he goes to recover his hp go and l2 + triangle punch the switch on the floor. You dont need to charge the punch. You dont need to do it in the air either.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Future said:
Phew, finally done. Not sure how I feel about this game just yet. On the one hand, clearly one of the better western action and adventure. Dantes, wolverine, etc.. Not in the same league. Sense of scale rivals GOW IMO, and actually may outdo the 3rd.

But even though I enjoyed getting to new areas and seeing new enemies and bosses, I'm not sure how much fun I actually had. I was definitely entertained, but I was frustrated by a lot of the design decisions for cameras, platforming, and combat. Many times I'd die taking leaps of faith. I'd fight back to back bosses, only to start the 2nd with a sliver of health because they wouldn't heal me. Lack of proper ai reactions caused me to fall back on the same quick combos. Cheap ai attacks met cheap hits abound. Some of the puzzles were pretty damn tedious, even when knowing the solution. Titans were trial and error. Ugh so many things in the gameplay dept. Playing on hard really made the combat flaws shine through IMO

But still the ride was entertaining. Especially around chapter 5. Story also kept me goin.
It definitely has some pretty deep flaws. I just started Chapter 5 and while I had no problems beating the 2 bosses at the end of level 3 & 4 it took me damn near 30 minutes to get
my stuff back from the Chupacabra
I had no problem finding him, I just couldn't make the jump to get to him. I had to back track several times to the beginning of the level to get more fairies. So annoying.

On the other hand Chapter 4 was a lot of fun for me. The framerate seemed to be a lot better in that level than any other one so far. I'm dealing with the combat, but it's definitely handicapped because of the framerate and general sluggishness of it. The game's finally starting to hit it's stride though and I'm having a lot of fun with it despite it's quirks. My main complaints still haven't changed though and the biggest problem I have is the shaky camera and framerate. Other than that, it's a great game.

K' Dash

I'm not feeling it, combat just doesn't feel satisfying to me, enemies don't react at all, I can't use most of the combos cause Gabriel is slow as fuck, aerial attacks don't serve any purpose.

I don't feel powerful at all, not at all, I've found plenty of upgrades and still feel like a bitch, I was beginning to think I was playing it wrong but the I saw some of my complaints here...

Future

MadOdorMachine said:
It definitely has some pretty deep flaws. I just started Chapter 5 and while I had no problems beating the 2 bosses at the end of level 3 & 4 it took me damn near 30 minutes to get
my stuff back from the Chupacabra
I had no problem finding him, I just couldn't make the jump to get to him. I had to back track several times to the beginning of the level to get more fairies. So annoying.

On the other hand Chapter 4 was a lot of fun for me. The framerate seemed to be a lot better in that level than any other one so far. I'm dealing with the combat, but it's definitely handicapped because of the framerate and general sluggishness of it. The game's finally starting to hit it's stride though and I'm having a lot of fun with it despite it's quirks. My main complaints still haven't changed though and the biggest problem I have is the shaky camera and framerate. Other than that, it's a great game.
If you like it now, definitely stick with it. I was HATING the game at the start. The part you were stuck on also stumped me, and the game fell into a formula of certain types of ai and methods of breaking doors.

Later the game changes it up a bit in the ai dept, and actually start seeing more unique ai and bosses

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Now I'm stuck on Chapter 5 - 2.
I'm trying to move a statue to cover up a hole these ghouls are crawling out of. I latch onto it with my whip and Zobek goes around, but every time he immediately let's go. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Phenomic

MadOdorMachine said:
Now I'm stuck on Chapter 5 - 2.
I'm trying to move a statue to cover up a hole these ghouls are crawling out of. I latch onto it with my whip and Zobek goes around, but every time he immediately let's go. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

If I recall let go of the button you hold once he grabs.

Wow!! I had to come back and sing praises for this game after my problems with chapter one. Its like Uncharted & God of War had sex together and made Castlevania LOS. I'm loving Boss battles, platforming, the overall combat, leveling system..I can go on and on. The graphics are great but it does have me wanting to see how it would look with an Uncharted 2 / GOW III level of polish to this universe. Great Great game.
On to chapter 6. That is all.

Victrix

*beard*
StreetDisciple said:
Wow!! I had to come back and sing praises for this game after my problems with chapter one. Its like Uncharted & God of War had sex together and made Castlevania LOS. I'm loving Boss battles, platforming, the overall combat, leveling system..I can go on and on. The graphics are great but it does have me wanting to see how it would look with an Uncharted 2 / GOW III level of polish to this universe. Great Great game.
On to chapter 6. That is all.

Haha you have no idea. Keep playing.

starting to like it a bit more towards the end of chapter 2. there have been some frustrating "falls" because of the camera but overall i can't complain about the platforming. i feel like i've missed a lot of stuff because im near the end of chapter 2 and still only have the dagger as a secondary weapon and no magic spells yet

Stupid design decisions are really starting to detract from my enjoyment of this game; I mean why the hell can't you quit out of a level when you pick up and item and get to keep that item?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Phenomic said:
If I recall let go of the button you hold once he grabs.
It must have been a glitch. I had to restart the level over. I ran into a glitch earlier in level 3 IIRC where I got stuck mid air in some bushes. I had to restart the level then too.

ZeroRay

Probably the worst designed battle in the game is the
mechanical scorpion

Any easier way to hit the huge button on the floor other than L2+Square in the air? L2+Triangle maybe? Or am I just being stupid and missed something?

ZeroRay said:
mechanical scorpion

Heh, that's one of my favorite bosses in the game due to its animation and the boss music.

And all you have to do is stand over the button and press L2+triangle.

Victrix

*beard*
ZeroRay said:
mechanical scorpion

Any easier way to hit the huge button on the floor other than L2+Square in the air? L2+Triangle maybe? Or am I just being stupid and missed something?

Er... L2+Square on the ground?

ZeroRay

brandonh83 said:
And all you have to do is stand over the button and press L2+triangle.

Yeah totally forgot I had that. That goes straight down, right? The angle of L2+Square was making it difficult.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
FrenchMovieTheme said:
starting to like it a bit more towards the end of chapter 2. there have been some frustrating "falls" because of the camera but overall i can't complain about the platforming. i feel like i've missed a lot of stuff because im near the end of chapter 2 and still only have the dagger as a secondary weapon and no magic spells yet
You're okay. Any upgrades like the light and dark magic or sub weapons will be impossible to miss.

Teknoman

CcrooK said:
Ya know, come to think of it, Gabriel and his attack grunts and whatever. Different voice? It's just strange to have him go from Isaac's narrative in a sort of soft spoken way to these off the wall attack shouts and what not that just don't fit.

Glad im not the only one who noticed. Sounds like they used the JP voice actor for the attack noises? That NES character hit noise also seems to play at random when you land from a jump.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
ZeroRay said:
Yeah totally forgot I had that. That goes straight down, right? The angle of L2+Square was making it difficult.
Don't waste time charging it either, it's not necessary to charge it.

Barakov

Just beat it. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with what Mercury Steam accomplished here, the framerate not withstanding. You only notice that the game drags it feet in the first half after you get to the second half of the game. After, being iffy on the combat for most of the first half of the game, I ended up enjoying it for the most part. The only time that I got frustrated with it was more of the technical issues present in the game. I got hung up in the environment on more than one occasion.

The sense of scale the game provides is quite impressive. It out does any of the God of War games on more than one occasion. The titan fights definitely were great. The
Dracolith
was definitely the best one. Overall, the puzzles were pretty good. But a good deal of them were kind of obtuse.

I dug the story overall.
I originally thought Zobek was either Dracula or the Grim Reaper. It was kind of surprising to see that he was the 3rd Lord of Shadow. It was pretty clear from the beginning that he was scheming something though. Zobek subtly manipulated Gabriel and ironically was manipulated himself. The fact that it was Gabriel that killed Marie was a big surprise. I didn't think the final boss was going to be who I thought it was. I originally thought that Gabriel was going to wear the Mask and his dark half would be expelled and you would end up fighting it. Instead you fight Satan and Gabriel ends up becoming Dracula. The whole part after the credits was pretty crazy. Especially since that part takes place in modern day. It definitely interests me to see where they go next. Hopefully, Simon is up next.

K' Dash said:
I'm not feeling it, combat just doesn't feel satisfying to me, enemies don't react at all, I can't use most of the combos cause Gabriel is slow as fuck, aerial attacks don't serve any purpose.

I don't feel powerful at all, not at all, I've found plenty of upgrades and still feel like a bitch, I was beginning to think I was playing it wrong but the I saw some of my complaints here...
just like uncharted 2 ruined 3rd-person shooters and action games, bayonetta ruined castlevania for me-- it never stood a chance

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ZeroRay said:
mechanical scorpion

I just did it...it's so easy. You don't have to jump.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Y2Kev said:
I just did it...it's so easy. You don't have to jump.
This is the easiest fight in the game... you literally just somersault over him over and over. and yes you dont have to jump to hit the switch, are you that brain dead that walking up and holding L2 then taping triangle is that hard?

QisTopTier said:
This is the easiest fight in the game... you literally just somersault over him over and over. and yes you dont have to jump to hit the switch, are you that brain dead that walking up and holding L2 then taping triangle is that hard?

It's okay, don't badger him for not knowing any better. I should have put it in the OP to begin with.

forrest

formerly nacire
ZeroRay said:
mechanical scorpion

I'm curious, is it the worst designed battle because you're doing it wrong? All you have to do is stand directly on the button and hit L2 + Triangle.

For everyone complaining about the combat system, you have to mix it up and you have to be quick. The more variety and the more skill you exhibit the more you will be rewarded. Also aerial combat is very effective and when you pull it off you are also rewarded quite well. Seriously, there isn't a lot of room for error which I personally think is awesome. Isn't that what makes a good combat system?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
People are used to games like GOW that guide them with the hand. This combat system is much more satisfying :D

Relix said:
People are used to games like GOW that guide them with the hand. This combat system is much more satisfying :D

It's my favorite action game battle system of the gen by far. I find it incredibly challenging on harder difficulties but I feel like I actually stand a chance whereas games like DMC and Bayonetta require you study them like a religion.

Not a fan of that. I love both of those games dearly but I don't even dare attempt them on their harder difficulties. I feel like I can actually "master" this game though without learning game controller Ninjitsu.

forrest

formerly nacire
CaptYamato said:
Ok, time for me to marathon this game. I'm half way through chapter 5. I'll see you guys when its over.
I hear ya, I'm getting pretty close Ch.9, but like you I'm ready to see the ending everyone is talking about!

M Tyson

Banned
just started this tonight.. i fuckin like it! playing it on xbox, i have no complaints about the graphics or framerate, it all works.. graphics are damn good. liking the gameplay.

i just beat chapter 1. on 1-2, im at 92% and i got all the unlockables in the level and the trial challenge.. how do i get 100% on the levels? is there hidden shit?

im playing on regular difficulty

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
M Tyson said:
just started this tonight.. i fuckin like it! playing it on xbox, i have no complaints about the graphics or framerate, it all works.. graphics are damn good. liking the gameplay.

i just beat chapter 1. on 1-2, im at 92% and i got all the unlockables in the level and the trial challenge.. how do i get 100% on the levels? is there hidden shit?

im playing on regular difficulty
You gotta play it on the highest difficulty to get to 110%.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Teknoman said:
Glad im not the only one who noticed. Sounds like they used the JP voice actor for the attack noises? That NES character hit noise also seems to play at random when you land from a jump.
Some of his grunts remind me of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Top Bottom