• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Phenomic

john tv said:
Yeah, I just beat him - I got to the second phase with full shadow and light, then basically parried every single hit and just whaled on him over and over. It took a while to get the timing down for his parries, but once I got it, it wasn't TOO bad. But God it took like 50 tries to get the timing right. So frustrating! But admittedly beating him felt pretty rewarding. :)

Parrying is key to succeeding in this game IMO - I dunno how some of you are progressing without it! Major battles amount to parrying and getting your little...whatever meter at the bottom (with the runes) to max capacity so you can get orange energy to refill light and shadow magic as you go. Otherwise fights would just take forever, no?

Yes and no, I would say this effected me more at the beginning of the game but now I've learned a series of relatively safe combos that fill up the meter really quickly if executed right. I also try to manage my magic well and find that I'm not using it unless I've got some orbs to regen it to full, which was also harder for me at the beginning but now I've learned to just not get hit. Glad you beat it though, definitely rewarding to watch that A-Hole fall dead :lol

john tv said:
Cornell fight is making me want to throw my PS3 out the window............

Figured out how to counter his hits consistently but still, one minor mistake and you get creamed.
Couldn't counter him for shit

Phenomic

wwm0nkey said:
Am I the only one who apparently didnt have a problem with Cornell? Just roll and jump constantly is what I did.

What difficultly are you on?, I had problems at first but learned how to handle it and did just that when I managed to beat him. Given it took longer then most fights maybe 2 hours? I dunno it wasn't done in a single sitting.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
wwm0nkey said:
Am I the only one who apparently didnt have a problem with Cornell? Just roll and jump constantly is what I did.

*raises hand*

Initially he creamed me but second time around he was a piece of crap. Normal here. Just roll, jump, keep distance. He did get me in the last round with the pillars. I got carried away :lol

Future

Yeah. Instant unblockable attacks makes parrying kind of a crap shoot most times.

Game also punishes button mashing by giving ai tons of buff attacks that only happen while you are attacking. Bosses got a little easier once I started walking up to them and doing nothing, waiting for them to do something first

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Future said:
So how many people are skipping puzzles. Cuz every damn one is trial and error. I feel compelled to go through them, but so annoying. Camera makes it hard to get my bearings. Platforming is bad adding deaths making things even longer

In a later chapter where I had to move crows and now I'm in a music box just trial and errorin my way through

Almost to ch6 and I haven't skipped a puzzle yet.

Future

Y2Kev said:
Almost to ch6 and I haven't skipped a puzzle yet.
I haven't wanted to until now haha. Fuck this puzzle. Skipping probably does jack shit though. I know how to solve it. It's just the fucking timing/platforming on this shit is blowing my mind. Precise timing + laggy input due to framerate and some long animations do not mix

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Are these save bugs/Unhandled error bugs/etc. native to the PS3 or Xbox360 version or both?

Y2Kev

YEAHHHH FUCK YOU
Brauner

The scene with Gabriel walking away from the
villagers
was cool

Y2Kev said:
YEAHHHH FUCK YOU
Brauner

The scene with Gabriel walking away from the
villagers
was cool

Just look at the backdrop at the beginning of the stage right after that. I mean just look at that.

Y2Kev

brandonh83 said:
Just look at the backdrop at the beginning of the stage right after that. I mean just look at that.
the only ugly thing in the game is his wife. she got spanked with the ugly stick

Future

Bootaaay said:
I concur, I like having all my defence options (dodge, block and counter) all on the same button.
It's done crappy in this game though. Not nearly as well as ninja gaiden. Here I feel like you always roll by accident

Y2Kev said:
the only ugly thing in the game is his wife. she got spanked with the ugly stick

Indeed. Her character modeling is terrible. Zobek also looks half-assed in cutscenes, something about the faces/expressions aren't too detailed and lacking. Gabriel, though, looks awesome as do some of the bigger enemy characters.

Future said:
It's done crappy in this game though. Not nearly as well as ninja gaiden. Here I feel like you always roll by accident

Only ever block in order to attempt a parry, that way it is just a single button press rather than holding a button down. Blocking should only be used for charging moves, otherwise the dodge is your best option. However the parry is necessary to get your focus up really quick, then it is just a simple matter of switching to offensive magic, running it dry, then using your max focus to quickly build up more dark elements and then repeat. On most boss fights this simple tactic will make things quite a bit easier. Once your focus is up you don't even need to use combos to keep it maxed, so a dodge and swipe strategy will work well. Or switch to light magic, parry to flash stun then switch to dark and go to town.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
I'd like to hear it without all the unfunny dialogue and dumbass sound effects. Also don't like how it turns into more typical fan-remix guitar horse shit.
You with the negativity again. I'd rather not have you mess up my thread anymore. Go make your own official thread of whining and complaining!

Aeana said:
Well, it was for a shredding compo, which is why it turned out that way.

He's done other CV arrangements like chamber strings Castlevania 2
Even better!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Teknoman said:
Just look for anything shimmery for latch points.

I managed to defeat him, but it was surprisingly difficult for a first boss.

WanderingWind said:
Quick question. How indicative of the final product is the demo? I love Castlevania, and enjoyed the combat system of the demo, but I'm a bit concerned that this is just God of War with different textures. Does the final game retain the exploratory nature of the series?

The combat is sort of like God of War, but not really. It's faster and relies more on dodging and blocking than GoW, but it's similar in that it uses mostly ranged attacks, juggling and airborne combos. Personally I prefer the slower, heavier combat of GoW, but the combat in Castleviania: LoS is fine as it is. As for the exploratory nature, the levels are mostly linear and straightforward, but with branching paths that reward you with scrolls, gems and stuff, so yeah, the exploration is intact.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Adam Blue said:
Blocking almost seems like a waste to try (unless I'm just bad). Rolling accidentally happens anyway... But this game is starting to feel more like Ninja Gaiden...just with the annoying parts of GoW.

Whaaaaaat? You get so much focus from countering that I cannot possibly just stop doing it. I have my shadow magic on constantly.

linkboy

Arrgh, I'm stuck on one damn puzzle and its giving me fits.

Its in the
chromatic observatory in the vampire castle, where you need to dash around in a square lighting up the 4 corners

Anyone know the trick to the puzzle.

Dascu said:
You with the negativity again. I'd rather not have you mess up my thread anymore. Go make your own official thread of whining and complaining!

:lol

I like the way the beginning sounds. Just not a fan of electric guitar fan remixes because that's all they seem to do.

Volcynika

I wonder if there is some sort of guide to unlocking trials. I think after unlocking just a couple at the start, I haven't unlocked one since! D:

Volcynika said:
I wonder if there is some sort of guide to unlocking trials. I think after unlocking just a couple at the start, I haven't unlocked one since! D:
Thought they unlock once you beat a level...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
People who are just dodging instead of countering are completely missing out on the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the combat system. :(

Despera

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
Ok Im having problems with the switch and spikes on the floor! Gate fucking closes down before I get there!!! HELP!

I think solving it on your own is best but if you insist...

Stand in front of the gate and shoot the switch with a Dagger while Shadow Magic is on.

Victrix

*beard*
luka said:
People who are just dodging instead of countering are completely missing out on the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the combat system. :(

Game doesn't reward you enough for risking the counter. Plus the whole block/dodge/counter/melee attack on one button is painfully stupid.

edit: oops, forgot /dash!

Victrix said:
Game doesn't reward you enough for risking the counter. Plus the whole block/dodge/counter/melee attack on one button is painfully stupid.

The melee is the only part in that list that is cumbersome, but I think I like it more than having to switch out weapons all together. Besides, you wouldn't be using L2 + a face button unless you were trying to use one of those attacks so it shouldn't get in the way too much.

I didn't have any real problems with the controls, just the inconsistency between counter/dodge timing and the attack animations. So many times I was dying when the enemy was only in the first few frames of their attack and no animation indicated that I was being hit. That's just sloppy in my book.

Teknoman

Is it just me, or does Gabriel make the same "Hup" noise when jumping, that Simon/Trevor made when getting hit in the old games?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Victrix said:

Instant focus isn't enough of a reward? Not to mention it's just extremely satisfying to pull off.
It's not much of a risk either if you pay attention to the enemy patters. With the exception of the necromancers and gravekeeper near the end I relied heavily on counter for the entire game had almost no problems. Bosses like
olrox and carmilla
went down extremely fast. The timing is quite forgiving too unless it's an attack with an abnormally long windup. Just hit the button immediately after the enemy initiates the attack animation and you've got it.

LaneDS

On chapter 8 now I believe (might be 9) and the game is getting pretty unfun. Combat is very repetitive and no longer fun for the most part... the battle sections have become a chore. The music is great... but forgettable. Outside of the main theme there's nothing in this game that I'll recall, which to me is very sad for a CV game.

Mostly just trying to blow through it now to see if the later locations
Is Castlevania even in the game? Will be a shame if the title is now meaningless
and plot pick up. Doesn't feel much like CV to me still.

Top Bottom