• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

forrest

formerly nacire
luka said:
Holy cross I found pretty useful throughout the game. The only other one I'd say is essential is Ultimate Light. God tier attack that demolishes even the final boss in seconds.

I bought this and still haven't used it yet. :lol Can't wait to try it. Seriously though, do the last fight without it. It's worth it!

ezekial45

Banned
Does anyone else hate the ultra abrupt endings to most of the chapters? It's annoying when you're walking down a hallway or approaching a cliff to climb than BAM! The journal comes on screen. :lol

Other than that, i'm really enjoying it. Anyone who doesn't want to give the game a chance because of the framerate problems is a goddamn fool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ezekial45 said:
Does anyone else hate the ultra abrupt endings to most of the chapters? It's annoying when you're walking down a hallway or approaching a cliff to climb than BAM! The journal comes on screen. :lol

Other than that, i'm really enjoying it. Anyone who doesn't want to give the game a chance because of the framerate problems is a goddamn fool.

My favorite was the end of chapter 5 into 6,
right after you get out of the castle sewer and climb up the wall, the screen pops up there and you continue platforming at the start of chapter 6.
That's also were the 360 version swaps disks, so I found that even funnier.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Segata Sanshiro said:
If you feel the older Castlevania games were anything even remotely like "monster arenas", I'm forced to question if, in fact, you played them. I don't have any good ideas for how to translate the Actionvania gameplay to 3D. Luckily, that's not a requirement for criticism.

I never implied the entire games were like that, but there were many areas that basically consisted of walking right/left and hitting things for several screens. That's about as "monster arena" as you can get when you're talking about 2D side scrollers. Not having you own solution isn't a requirement for criticism, but in this case it's not a fair criticism because you don't even know what you're actually criticizing.

luka said:
I never implied the entire games were like that, but there were many areas that basically consisted of walking right/left and hitting things for several screens. That's about as "monster arena" as you can get when you're talking about 2D side scrollers. Not having you own solution isn't a requirement for criticism, but in this case it's not a fair criticism because you don't even know what you're actually criticizing.
Actually, I've got a pretty good understanding of what I'm criticizing, but I'm trying to avoid shitting up this thread because Brandon, Y2Kev, and Yamato are top wheeze gents.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually, I've got a pretty good understanding of what I'm criticizing, but I'm trying to avoid shitting up this thread because Brandon, Y2Kev, and Yamato are top wheeze gents.

Poor wording. I wasn't talking about you specifically.

diglyd

Banned
I got a quick question as I am stuck....

In chapter 2 I am on the part called "The Dungeon". You basically start repelling down a wall in the beginning of this chapter. You then climb down a little jump and latch onto a railing to the left, shimmy in that direction drop down, latch onto a ring and jump like tarzan to the other side. You then move to the right and there is another ring to catch onto. Once you latch onto the ring you start repelling down a curved wall and you can't move left or right. Then you get a camera change showing a bridge/cliff edge on the other side of the screen,

My problem is I can't figure out how to jump across. It looks like I can jump there but then when I try to I just fall to my death and die. Can someone point me to a link wit ha walkthrough or explain how to get past the beginning of "the Dungeon" part? I msut have tried like 20 times. For some reason all this hopping is very difficult for me.

On a side note as I keep playing this game I keep thinking that the last Prince of Persia should have been like this not the turd of a game that it turned out to be where there didn't seem to be any sense to the level design.

Thank you in advance....

diglyd said:
My problem is I can't figure out how to jump across. It looks like I can jump there but then when I try to I just fall to my death and die. Can someone point me to a link wit ha walkthrough or explain how to get past the beginning of "the Dungeon" part? I msut have tried like 20 times. For some reason all this hopping is very difficult for me.

Yeah, it's kind of tricky. Basically what I do is repel down as far as you can before the chain breaks. It's pretty cheap how it does that, but what you'll want to do is go down to where Gabriel is hanging right above what looks like a hole in the wall beneath his feet.

Once there, hit square to kick away from the wall, followed by a jump, and you should land on the bridge.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just in case you didn't know you can press square a second time to get more distance from the wall.

CaptYamato said:
You know, coming from you, I am not sure if that was a quick jab or not.

I'm not even sure what "top wheeze" means. :p

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, coming from you, I am not sure if that was a quick jab or not.

LaneDS

luka said:
So what would a 3D CV feel like to you? Could you give a frame of reference or is it just a matter of having all the staple music and enemies that defines how much "catlevania" it is? This sure feels a lot more like CV than any of the other 3D installments.

It's funny how people complain about monster arenas being a staple of "GoW clones" when a large part of CVs level design consists of massive rooms with waves of enemies and maybe a few stairs and platforms here and there. I'd like to get a visual of how people would imagine a 'true' 3D CV that's totally faithful to the 2D design methodology would work, because I really don't think they have any idea.

Most of my issues with it not feeling like CV are indeed things like the music and how they decided to reboot the story and characters. Game looks and sounds fantastic but if they had changed a few names and removed a few of the wink wink references I wouldn't be able to identify it as CV at all.

Regarding the ending
I was really upset with how they turned Gabriel into Dracula, and teased the idea that he might have been in a castle of his own. They showed what was very clearly Slogra there, to further tease us. And then it's revealed, nope, they're in a church in the middle of downtown somewhere. That scene, while indeed shocking, totally ruined it for me. Why even make Gabriel a Belmont? Seems like they just wanted to rope in long time fans and then do something crazy just to rock the boat.

Curious to see where they'd go with a sequel in any case.

As for the gameplay, Segata seems to have that covered. I don't think any of the games aside from the PS2 ones are guilty of the monster arena type setup we have here. Especially the classic, pre-SOTN titles. Those are both platforming heavy and light on combat that involves attacking more than once or twice (bosses aside of course). I also don't think the GoW formula is a bad fit for 3D CV, and I think with some tweaks to make things less tedious and repetitive I would enjoy it completely from a gameplay perspective.

Ranger X

Do I understand I should go over my disdain for the "25fps or less" aspect of this game? It is REALLY REALLY fucking good? As in I really should pay 60$ for that?

Honest question there folks. I've beend amazingly turned off by the demo -- especially for the framerate. I felt like I was watching a photo book. (ok, not that bad, let's say I felt I was watching a movie.)

LaneDS

Ranger X said:
Do I understand I should go over my disdain for the "25fps or less" aspect of this game? It is REALLY REALLY fucking good? As in I really should pay 60$ for that?

Honest question there folks. I've beend amazingly turned off by the demo -- especially for the framerate. I felt like I was watching a photo book. (ok, not that bad, let's say I felt I was watching a movie.)

The framerate has it's moments of being terrible, like the demo, and moments where it's fantastically smooth. On average, I'd say it's not a big problem when viewing the game from start to finish.

I just rented this. Quick question guys.

Why is the camera so static? In the first forest level when I'm just standing still and doing nothing, the camera feels like it's shaking and my screen feels all jittery.

Is this just how the game is?

It's a little annoying and jarring.

Dartastic

Need some help in 10-1. Just used the first rune. Now it says I néed to find two more runes. I can't find them. I can't even find one. I see an area with three coffins that I would assume would turn into monsters but nothings happening. Help?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
LaneDS said:
Most of my issues with it not feeling like CV are indeed things like the music and how they decided to reboot the story and characters. Game looks and sounds fantastic but if they had changed a few names and removed a few of the wink wink references I wouldn't be able to identify it as CV at all.

This I can understand. Thematically it's very different both musically and narratively. While the music is well done it's hardly as memorable and distinct as the classic themes and is far too Howard Shore for my taste. A few tracks like Belmont's Theme really stand out though. As for everything else, I didn't mind as much as I thought I would because they were quite faithful to the spirit of the series. The sense of progression and atmosphere is very much like 3 and 4.

As for the gameplay, Segata seems to have that covered. I don't think any of the games aside from the PS2 ones are guilty of the monster arena type setup we have here. Especially the classic, pre-SOTN titles. Those are both platforming heavy and light on combat that involves attacking more than once or twice (bosses aside of course). I also don't think the GoW formula is a bad fit for 3D CV, and I think with some tweaks to make things less tedious and repetitive I would enjoy it completely from a gameplay perspective.

Again, I didn't accuse classic CV of using monster arenas, but it was hardly light on combat either and there were many regular enemies (axe armors/bone dragons/etc) that take upwards of 10 hits to kill. It just wouldn't translate to 3D as easily as something like Mario, where enemies are more like obstacles than something you have to directly engage. To LoS' credit, I think it did a very good job of making combat areas much less obvious and more varied than other games of the type.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Why is the camera so static? In the first forest level when I'm just standing still and doing nothing, the camera feels like it's shaking and my screen feels all jittery.

Yep, that's just how it is. I didn't mind it and thought there were parts where it really added a really dramatic feel to the simple act of running towards something, but I can see how it would be an annoyance.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Yeah, it uses a shakey cam effect.

LaneDS

luka said:
This I can understand. Thematically it's very different both musically and narratively. While the music is well done it's hardly as memorable and distinct as the classic themes and is far too Howard Shore for my taste. A few tracks like Belmont's Theme really stand out though. As for everything else, I didn't mind as much as I thought I would because they were quite faithful to the spirit of the series. The sense of progression and atmosphere is very much like 3 and 4.

Again, I didn't accuse classic CV of using monster arenas, but it was hardly light on combat either and there were many regular enemies (axe armors/bone dragons/etc) that take upwards of 10 hits to kill. It just wouldn't translate to 3D as easily as something like Mario, where enemies are more like obstacles than something you have to directly engage. To LoS' credit, I think it did a very good job of making combat areas much less obvious and more varied than other games of the type.

I think with some tweaks the gameplay will be pretty much aces for a sequel. A better camera, more variation to the combat (since they're clearly not very attached to the idea of
a clan of vampire hunters named Belmont who pass down a whip through the generations
, I'd like to see some other weapons in a sequel), and quicker encounters in higher volume (which is how I see most previous CV games)... all of those would make me pretty happy.

Given how varied the game's locales are, I think the way it was broken up worked just fine. Trying to make all of that into one cohesive whole would have been pretty much impossible unless they had a ridiculous budget.

Best looking game ever? Or one of the best for sure! But seriously, holy crap the graphics are good! Is this really Mercury Steam the same guys that did Jericho?!

Damn the graphics look beautiful!

But I'm getting tired of these tutorials and hints. Does it ever end? I mean I know when to press RT, you know. You just told me twice already!

I know you can't turn it off but I think that this is this game's biggest flaw right now. Everything else is quite good though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So where is this supposed 'Metal Gear theme' cameo anyway that was mentioned by several a few pages back? I just hit Disc 2(chapter 6 on 360). Did I miss it?

Also, this easilly is in the running for my favorite game of the year thus far. Will most definately be going for the full 1000.

LaneDS

Brandon F said:
So where is this supposed 'Metal Gear theme' cameo anyway that was mentioned by several a few pages back? I just hit Disc 2(chapter 6 on 360). Did I miss it?

Also, this easilly is in the running for my favorite game of the year thus far. Will most definately be going for the full 1000.

I think it's in chapter 6-4 when you go into a small corridor of sorts (medieval ventilation shaft, perhaps?). Music plays kind of faintly, but if your volume is up loud you should hear it no problem.

Nemesis_

Brandon F said:

Someone who collected all the Tech Orbs in Enslaved is someone who will go for the full 1000 in anything. U_U

Also, I hear the MGS reference is somewhere to do with a kitchen / butcher or something like that. >_> I've yet to play the game, mine arrives tomorrow hopefully.

Dartastic

Just got to chapter 11. I'm really glad I got through chapter 10, it really wasn't that good, especially after getting out of the MAGNIFICENT areas before it. 10-1 was especially awful, and the beautiful intro to it didn't help things, especially as you climbed out and it was ick. =( I'm so close, that the next time I sit down with it I'm going to HAVE to beat the game. Unfortunately I have a butt-ton of school work to do tomorrow... =(

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
luka said:
So what would a 3D CV feel like to you? Could you give a frame of reference or is it just a matter of having all the staple music and enemies that defines how much "catlevania" it is? This sure feels a lot more like CV than any of the other 3D installments.

It's funny how people complain about monster arenas being a staple of "GoW clones" when a large part of CVs level design consists of massive rooms with waves of enemies and maybe a few stairs and platforms here and there. I'd like to get a visual of how people would imagine a 'true' 3D CV that's totally faithful to the 2D design methodology would work, because I really don't think they have any idea.
The biggest problem I have with it is that it's a western game. It's not my ideal 3D Castlevania, but after Iga making some poor decisions like putting Dracula X Chronicles on PSP and releasing Judgement on Wii, I can't say I'm surprised. I would rather keep the themes of the Japanese games while improving the combat and platforming. I'd still like to see what a collaboration with Iga and Treasure would turn out like.

Edit -
Ranger X said:

The framerate never really gets better. There are maybe one or two levels where it seems steady, but other areas are worse than the opening level. Overall it's pretty bad. The framerate and shaky cam can get pretty nauseating imo. It really sucks because it's detrimental to the gameplay. I'm not saying you shouldn't play the game, but it's definitely something you'll have to look past.

john tv

Hmm, I think I'm stuck. In chapter 7,
in the Electric Laboratory, the part where you're in the room with the machine that says it's missing a lens - what are you supposed to do?

EDIT: NM, once again figured it out. Wish the environments did a better job of pointing out key locations without the need for text hints that pop up on-screen. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nemesis556 said:
Someone who collected all the Tech Orbs in Enslaved is someone who will go for the full 1000 in anything. U_U

Also, I hear the MGS reference is somewhere to do with a kitchen / butcher or something like that. >_> I've yet to play the game, mine arrives tomorrow hopefully.

100% Tech Orbs in Enslaved wasn't all that bad. 90% of them were in plain view on the straight path I found during my normal runthrough. I only had to revisit each level once to polish off the few I did miss...though the remain 5-10% missing on each of those levels can often be a real pain to find. Dealing with the loading and occasionally 'not allowed' cutscene skip was the most irritating part of that 100%.

But enough about Enslaved, Castlevania is a FAR superior game. :)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
john tv said:
Hmm, I think I'm stuck. In chapter 7,
in the Electric Laboratory, the part where you're in the room with the machine that says it's missing a lens - what are you supposed to do?
Start with the lens they give you and it will open a door with another lens in it. Keep doing this and adding/taking away colors from the prism until you open all the doors and find all the secrets in the room.

Ledsen

Aeana said:
So I'm near the end of chapter 5, and I've bought all of the advanced moves... but I haven't bought any relic powers yet. Are there any that are exceptionally better than the others that I should go for first?

The dark magic earthquake is crazy powerful and kills groups of enemies in seconds. It's the only one I have though.

Naeblish

HOLY SHIT this game is awesome. Stunningly beautiful and just so much fun. Only in chapter 2, and already i want to go back and redo levels for gems and up that completion percentage. Seriously, people nitpicking should try to actually enjoy the game. I don't get the high standards some gamers have these days, i'm having an absolute blast with it.

Solune

MadOdorMachine said:
The biggest problem I have with it is that it's a western game. It's not my ideal 3D Castlevania

But Inafune says games aren't western enough!

Anyways what does the game being developed by a non-Japanese company have to do with Castlevania not being your ideal 3D Castlevania? Konami's attempted it 4 times and have failed miserably everytime. It's a relief miracle that MercurySteam was even able to pull off an entry that is at the very LEAST is a decent game and gives hope to a "true" 3D Castlevania. I'm still waiting for people to write up what their ideal 3D Castlevania would be.

Do people want a straight up 3D rendition of say, the very first Castlevania or Rondo of Blood? Make the environments 3D but faithful to their 2D incarnations? I'm very curious of what people actually want.

While Lords of Shadow doesn't fulfill everyone's expectations of a 3D Castlevania, I think it definitely has nailed it down better than any other entry. But I guess that's not saying much since all of the previous 3D games sucked :lol .

fernoca

Got this for relatively cheap along a code of Symphony of the Night. :D
(All copies in Best Buy include a code for it, in case anyone needs an incentive).

Going to finish Enslaved first, before jumping into this one. Impressions from friends has been a little too positive, so I'll see.

My only knowledge in this game consists in a few YouTube videos, pictures and reading an untagged spoiler about who the final boss might be. :lol

MadOdorMachine said:
The biggest problem I have with it is that it's a western game.

The game is, in terms of design, still closer to DMC, NG or Bayonetta than to GoW. So I don't see where you note that is a western game, aside from knowing that has been done by a spaniard company.

Grampasso

So I finally set up my mind and bought it. I'm in the 2nd chapter and I must say this is the first game really worth the 69€ I paid for it.
The only negative point about it is how some of the upgrades are hidden... like running toward the end of the screen and finding a passage that I can't see due to my PoV? WTF, is Gabriel BLIND that he can't see a huge cave? Honestly, that's fucking stupid :lol

Solune said:

Anyways what does the game being developed by a non-Japanese company have to do with Castlevania not being your ideal 3D Castlevania? Konami's attempted it 4 times and have failed miserably everytime. It's a relief miracle that MercurySteam was even able to pull off an entry that is at the very LEAST is a decent game and gives hope to a "true" 3D Castlevania. I'm still waiting for people to write up what their ideal 3D Castlevania would be.

Do people want a straight up 3D rendition of say, the very first Castlevania or Rondo of Blood? Make the environments 3D but faithful to their 2D incarnations? I'm very curious of what people actually want.

While Lords of Shadow doesn't fulfill everyone's expectations of a 3D Castlevania, I think it definitely has nailed it down better than any other entry. But I guess that's not saying much since all of the previous 3D games sucked :lol .

Metroid Other M + SOTN = Win

andymcc

Banned
DangerousDave said:
The game is, in terms of design, still closer to DMC, NG or Bayonetta than to GoW.

no it's not. while there may be some vague similarities to NG in terms of combat, it's really not like any of the aforementioned titles. the only design aspect it took from GOW are the really crappy puzzles.

andymcc said:
no it's not. while there may be some vague similarities to NG in terms of combat, it's really not like any of the aforementioned titles. the only design aspect it took from GOW are the really crappy puzzles.

Really crappy puzzles?

Compared with the average puzzles of the 3d beat'em up or platforming games, the ones of Castlevania are in another league.

There are a lot of puzzles, so there always will be some crappy ones, but It's not like DMC or 2D castlevania has the most original puzzles.

[Nintex]

Grampasso said:
Metroid Other M + SOTN = Win
Castlevania: Other D
"Confession Time: Because my father was killed by the Belmonts time and time again I actually considered Shaft my father. After all he was always there for me. So when he asked me to leave the castle I had no choice but to stay and protect him."

Richter: "Hello Prince! Fancy seeing you here!"
Richter: "Holy cow, what has happened here, someone go in first-person and scout the area for clues! *wink* *wink*"

Shaft: "Alu you there, I'm going to activate your batwings now, so you don't fall into this bottomless pit."

Alucard: "It was obvious we had a traitor in our crew. I couldn't trust anyone and yet it was slightly amusing that the 'Turner', that's how I called him, put the rooms in the castle upside down."

Shaft: "I'm sorry Alu but I can't watch you die, not on my watch, I'm going to shoot Castlevania into space and blow myself up with, so you only have to deal with the village."

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Old? http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/1...tion-includes-symphony-of-the-night-in-japan/

The Castlevania: Lords of Shadow limited edition is almost the same in North America and Japan. Both regions get the game, an art book, and the soundtrack.

Japan also gets a code to download the classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night over PlayStation Network. The download is a Game Archives version so it’s playable on a PS3 or PSP.

Pick up the Xbox 360 version and you’ll get a product code for Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, the multiplayer Castlevania game for Xbox Live Arcade, instead.

The other difference is price. A limited edition of Lords of Shadow runs for $79.99 in the States and 9,980 yen ($121) in Japan when its released on December 16.

andymcc

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Castlevania: Other D
"Confession Time: Because my father was killed by the Belmonts time and time again I actually considered Shaft my father. After all he was always there for me. So when he asked me to leave the castle I had no choice but to stay and protect him."

Richter: "Hello Prince! Fancy seeing you here!"
Richter: "Holy cow, what has happened here, someone go in first-person and scout the area for clues! *wink* *wink*"

Shaft: "Alu you there, I'm going to activate your batwings now, so you don't fall into this bottomless pit."

Alucard: "It was obvious we had a traitor in our crew. I couldn't trust anyone and yet it was slightly amusing that the 'Turner', that's how I called him, put the rooms in the castle upside down."

Shaft: "I'm sorry Alu but I can't watch you die, not on my watch, I'm going to shoot Castlevania into space and blow myself up with, so you only have to deal with the village."
:lol

Damn dude.

Victrix

*beard*
We need some media attention on this corrupted save issue. Losing your progress in a 20 hour game is not cool at all.

Does anyone know if MS is aware of the problem?

john tv

Victrix said:
We need some media attention on this corrupted save issue. Losing your progress in a 20 hour game is not cool at all.

Does anyone know if MS is aware of the problem?
So it's only a 360 issue? PS3 is safe?

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

that's the opposite of static.

Grampasso

I also forgot this which may come in aid of someone:
At the end of the Labyrinth stage in 2nd Chapter you may incur in this little bug:
Just before the last fight in the arena you have to kill the goblin carrying the handle to open the door. If you kill him too near to the perimeter the handle may fall *inside* the external environment, thus making it impossible to finish the stage after killing the werewolf. Btw if you restart from the last checkpoint from the menu since the last time it saved was right after the werewolf fight you'll find the handle sitting in the middle of the arena

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Solune said:

I don't see how this game is any better than the other 4 attempts which were all good imo. At least they were trying something original whereas this game copies from pretty much 4 games - Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Uncharted and Shadow of the Colossus. This one is more of an adventure game similar to the N64 games which felt more like a Castlevania to me than this. Graphics play a part in it. Japanese action games typically run at a much higher framerate and have a more arcady vibe to them. They don't try to be realistic whereas this game goes for the realism even when in a completely unrealistic setting. I guess that's what I want - a more arcady actionvania similar to Dracula X Chronicles and Lament of Innocence but with some platforming mixed in as well like the N64 games or this one. LoS is a good homage to the series, but I look at it kind of like the Prime games to Metroid. You know it's not the real deal.

forrest

formerly nacire
MadOdorMachine said:
I don't see how this game is any better than the other 4 attempts which were all good imo. At least they were trying something original whereas this game copies from pretty much 4 games - Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Uncharted and Shadow of the Colossus. This one is more of an adventure game similar to the N64 games which felt more like a Castlevania to me than this. Graphics play a part in it. Japanese action games typically run at a much higher framerate and have a more arcady vibe to them. They don't try to be realistic whereas this game goes for the realism even when in a completely unrealistic setting. I guess that's what I want - a more arcady actionvania similar to Dracula X Chronicles and Lament of Innocence but with some platforming mixed in as well like the N64 games or this one. LoS is a good homage to the series, but I look at it kind of like the Prime games to Metroid. You know it's not the real deal.

See I'm the compete opposite. Super Metroid used to be my facorite Metroid until the prime series and I'm feeling the same way with Castlevania at this point. That is Super Castlevania IV was my favorite, but I'm absolutely loving the new direction. I strongly prefer a more atmospheric serious tone than a more arcady vibe. Each to their own I guess, but this Castlevania felt like the realest deal I've played in a long time.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
nacire said:
See I'm the compete opposite. Super Metroid used to be my facorite Metroid until the prime series and I'm feeling the same way with Castlevania at this point. That is Super Castlevania IV was my favorite, but I'm absolutely loving the new direction. I strongly prefer a more atmospheric serious tone than a more arcady vibe. Each to their own I guess, but this Castlevania felt like the realest deal I've played in a long time.
This is more like the old arcade style games as far as level layout is designed though but the controls, camera and framerate are all off. I wouldn't say my gripe with the graphics are that they're atmospheric. It's actually the art direction, the character models in particular are pretty bad with the exception of Gabriel imo.

forrest

formerly nacire
MadOdorMachine said:
This is more like the old arcade style games as far as level layout is designed though but the controls, camera and framerate are all off. I wouldn't say my gripe with the graphics are that they're atmospheric. It's actually the art direction, the character models in particular are pretty bad with the exception of Gabriel imo.

Again I prefer the LoS character models to the more anime stylings of the DS incarnations. I'll agree though that the character artwork in LoS isn't really the strongest. It's definitely serviceable and I think the monsters are done quite well. It's when doing standard humans that they seem to be a little sub par.

Solune

MadOdorMachine said:

Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are no less derivative from DMC/Ninja Gaiden and whatever action game ripoff you can think of than Lords of Shadow. The only things that Curse of Darkness could possibly have more Castlevania over Lords of Shadow are A) the soundtrack and B) Trevor Belmont.
I won't get into a discussion about Japanese vs non-Jap devs but I agree for the most part they typically have a higher frame rate seeing as Lament of Innocence had 60fps.
As for the last comment, I don't understand. Metroid Prime is as much of a Metroid game as Super Metroid is and they are both fantastic.
One last thing about the frame rate and I do agree it does need attention but hasn't been detrimental for me. However if you played Other M and never noticed slow down then you are truly fooling yourself, especially when you are trying to enter another room or when using speed booster/shine spark.

Top Bottom