• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

I really hope this is the new direction for the series, or at least a recurring new direction. I love how polished it feels, in strict contrast to all of the other 3d games in the series. The N64 games had decent level design but unwieldy control and just felt rough, whereas the PS2 games had good control and combat, but repetitive, poorly designed levels that were mostly flat, boring corridors.

This game takes inspiration from the current and the last generation's best action games and wraps it in a story and setting that appeals to me more than any of those other games. The platforming is fun, the combat is fun, the graphics are lovely, the voice acting is superb, the writing is quite good, and on the whole I am enjoying myself tremendously while appreciating the nostalgic touches towards the classic games in the series.

I love the Metroidvania games, and I want a sequel to Order of Ecclesia, but this is Castlevania.

Diomedeskun said:
I really hope this is the new direction for the series, or at least a recurring new direction. I love how polished it feels, in strict contrast to all of the other 3d games in the series. The N64 games had decent level design but unwieldy control and just felt rough, whereas the PS2 games had good control and combat, but repetitive, poorly designed levels that were mostly flat, boring corridors.

This game takes inspiration from the current and the last generation's best action games and wraps it in a story and setting that appeals to me more than any of those other games. The platforming is fun, the combat is fun, the graphics are lovely, the voice acting is superb, the writing is quite good, and on the whole I am enjoying myself tremendously while appreciating the nostalgic touches towards the classic games in the series.

I love the Metroidvania games, and I want a sequel to Order of Ecclesia, but this is Castlevania.
A framerate that bobs up and down like Paris Hilton's head on a Friday night *and* crashing errors that corrupt your save file? One word I would never use to describe this game is 'polished'.

My thoughts on this game are that it is heavily flawed in a lot of ways. Different ways from past 3D Vania efforts, though. Less fundamentally fucked. I actually really want them to do a sequel because this is a stunning first effort, but Mercurysteam has a *lot* of work ahead of them if they really want to take this to a level of quality matching their level of heart.

george_us

Segata Sanshiro said:
A framerate that bobs up and down like Paris Hilton's head on a Friday night *and* crashing errors that corrupt your save file? One word I would never use to describe this game is 'polished'.

My thoughts on this game are that it is heavily flawed in a lot of ways. Different ways from past 3D Vania efforts, though. Less fundamentally fucked. I actually really want them to do a sequel because this is a stunning first effort, but Mercurysteam has a *lot* of work ahead of them if they really want to take this to a level of quality matching their level of heart.
The framerate doesn't "bob up and down" at all. The problem is that the framerate that the game runs at 90% of the time is 24 frames with the occasional spike to 60.

And from a gameplay point of view this game takes a liquid, runny shit all over ALL of the 3D Castlevanias combined even with the flaws.

A PAL comparison to FIFA is somewhat unfair, given that it had the 3rd biggest launch in the UK. When juxtaposed with, say, Reach, LoS is doing a little better. Those FIFA numbers make everything look like shit.

Imagine how well it would've sold if it was called Castlevania 11 though.. :lol

george_us said:
The framerate doesn't "bob up and down" at all. The problem is that the framerate that the game runs at 90% of the time is 24 frames with the occasional spike to 60.

And from a gameplay point of view this game takes a liquid, runny shit all over ALL of the 3D Castlevanias combined even with the flaws.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, sparky. Except for the fluctuating framerate. That's a fact and you should learn to cope with it, sport.

glaurung

K' Dash said:
Why is it asking me to put on Disc 2, I tought that if I installed both of them I wouldn't be prompted this?
No, you still need to have the second disc in the tray because of the DRM. It is required purely for authentication, then the rest of the data is read from the HDD.

Konami/Mercury tried to reason with MS and build the game so that only one disc is needed in the tray, but with no luck.

Obviously they are afraid that you would secretly sell your second disc and then pocket the profits.

K' Dash

dark10x said:
I'm afraid not.

glaurung said:
No, you still need to have the second disc in the tray because of the DRM.

What if I need to go back to do some trials or collect gems, do I have to put back in disc 1?

if it is like that, I'll try and finish collecting everything on disc 1.

kinda lame if you ask me :-/

glaurung said:
Konami/Mercury tried to reason with MS and build the game so that only one disc is needed in the tray, but with no luck.

Damn MS :mad:

glaurung

K' Dash said:
What if I need to go back to do some trials or collect gems, do I have to put back in disc 1?

if it is like that, I'll try and finish collecting everything on disc 1.

kinda lame if you ask me :-/
Yes. When you are traversing the beginning of the game, you will be prompted for the first disc again.

Yes, it is stupid.

Yes, it is redundant.

It is Microsoft.

Salz01

I've made it to Chapter 8, but havent started it. This Castlevania is right now my second favorite behind SCIV, and in front of Castlevania 3 (Nes). Nothing will probably top SCIV because of Nostalgia going for it. But this one is awesome. At first I was concerned due to the slow burn, but now that its up and running full force, this is what I always wanted in a 3D castlevania.The mood and art up untill now has been awesome.

I'm glad they are talking of a sequel already, even though I havent finished the game yet I fear Gabriel wont make it to a sequel. I love that character model. I also hope they tighten up the 'story' a bit more. I dont play Castlevania games for a 'story' but since they mentioned it so much before in the trailers and such, I kind of expected a bit better told story. Also, besides the technical issues that been beaten to death here, the one thing that keeps it from greatness is the music. Whats there is okay, but it needs to be great. With a few exceptions, there is nothing to memorable. I'm not looking for a vampire killer, but something like it. I know its hard, but for the sequel I hope they come up with some more memorable toons.

I love that fucking whip, and grapple.

and I love that awesome art Mercury Steam. Thank you for making an awesome Castlevania adventure.
Fan +1.

(And I'm only on Chapter 8)

Salz01 said:
I love that fucking whip, and grapple.

The grapple is kind of useless. It's so limited. You can only use it to do whatever very specific thing they want you to do. For example, sometimes you can only climb up and down, and it won't let you swing. Sometimes it will let you swing. Sometimes it will let you push off the wall. Half the time, all of the grapple features are just mysteriously missing. It's another symptom of the invisible walls.

If they can make a 2nd iteration of this maintaining all of the great things about the game but making the platforming aspects more explorer friendly like Uncharted then it will be flirting with perfection. At the end of the day, all of the platforming aspects just feel bad after being spoiled on Uncharted previously.

Valcryst

Neo Member
I'm at the beginning of Chapter X and I'm loving every single inch of the game.
Both Artistic and Game design itself are outstanding, far beyond every other action game I've ever played.
Chapter V to VIII could have made a single game for their own.
Puzzles are always tricky, funny and different from the others, and the combat game is the best I've ever experienced (having the Block/Dodge on L2 really helped me out).
A quick question about Ch. X - Mission 1
at the very beginning, after beating the skeletons and the other monsters in the first outside area, where am I supposed to go? Maybe I was a bit tired because I played it at 2 am, but on the left there are the stairs with the dead body/gem, and to the right more rocks and marsh, bu no grappling point, ledge or whatsoever..

Denzar

Erm... I'm in Wygol and I seem to have run into a glitch?

I'm supposed to push a statue over a hole with the help of someone. But once I grapple the statue and call for help nothing happens... The person helping me holsters his sword and starts pushing for like merely a second and then I have to start it over again?

What am I doing wrong, or is the game glitching out on my ass?

Despera

Banned
Deepack said:
Erm... I'm in Wygol and I seem to have run into a glitch?

I'm supposed to push a statue over a hole with the help of someone. But once I grapple the statue and call for help nothing happens... The person helping me holsters his sword and starts pushing for like merely a second and then I have to start it over again?

What am I doing wrong, or is the game glitching out on my ass?

Ahahaha the same happened to me...

Are you holding the R2 button? You should only click it once. If you hold it then it cancels the second the other guy starts pushing.

Remember: Only click R2 once.

Denzar

brandonh83 said:
Wow. Start the level over then, the good news is that it's virtually right at the beginning, so you won't have to do much to get back :lol

Tried that too.

Despera said:
Ahahaha the same happened to me...

Are you holding the R2 button? You should only click it once. If you hold it then it cancels the second the other guy starts pushing.

Remember: Only click R2 once.

Haha, what a crock of shit. I'll try that, because I was indeed holding R2.

This game has some really weird design choices at times.

You know, I may have actually restarted the checkpoint, and hit R2 only once and let go rather than holding it down. I know this issue reared its ugly head again a bit later on so yeah it may be the same deal.

Denzar

Despera said:
I think this was the only case where the design choice was just unreasonable.
Oh but the others aren't really unreasonable, they're just weird.

Like the tons of invisible walls you encounter or the fact that they put dodge on L2 (the same as the block button).

Despera

Banned
Deepack said:
Oh but the others aren't really unreasonable, they're just weird.

Like the tons of invisible walls you encounter or the fact that they put dodge on L2 (the same as the block button).

That particular part is fine by me. More like excellent actually.

Solo

Im midway thru Chapter 2. Game is pretty awesome so far. Looks great and the gameplay is solid - the combat feels really good and fairly deep. Framerate is low at times but has never been gamebreaking. The only thing I dont like so far is that you're forced to replay like every stage if you're trying to find everything. I always hate that school of design. Otherwise, its aces. The boss battles especially are awesome.

So, has anyone else encountered a situation where an enemy hits you before it actually hits you?

I.E.
Cornell
is trying to use his heavy uppercut attack, and before his fist even leaves the ground Gabriel just dies.

It only seems to be happening with
Cornell and the Black Knight.

john tv

Chapter 8-3 -
Olrox
is a pain in the ass. Is there any way to prevent him from
eating out of the coffins and regenerating his health
?

john tv said:
Chapter 8-3 -
Olrox
?
Beat him while he is eating them and then kill the corpses in the coffins. You need to do this 4 times and then he has no more corpses left

Akia

john tv said:
Chapter 8-3 -
Olrox
?

Its hard so that getting to 8-4 is that much more rewarding :)

Fimbulvetr said:
So, has anyone else encountered a situation where an enemy hits you before it actually hits you?

I.E.
Cornell
is trying to use his heavy uppercut attack, and before his fist even leaves the ground Gabriel just dies.

It only seems to be happening withe
Cornell and the Black Knight.

This happens against all the larger enemies, I just took on the butcher and was hit be the same cruddy death.
With that said I think the butchers death has been my favorite so far.

Vrakanox

JetBlackPanda said:
This speaks volumes for the entertainment value of the game! :D

Haha I guess so. I was expecting some sort of extra mode or something. I really did enjoy the game , just wanted a bit more content.

john tv said:
Chapter 8-3 -
Olrox
?
attack him while he is eating. he will fly away and you can destroy the dead body.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
CaptYamato said:
attack him while he is eating. he will fly away and you can destroy the dead body.
that fight is probably one of my high points in the game so far. Sure it was tough, but it was intense and looked awesome, if this game gets a PC release, I may just have to buy a brand new one just to see everything in glorious insane resolution with a better framerate.

Solo said:
Im midway thru Chapter 2. Game is pretty awesome so far. Looks great and the gameplay is solid - the combat feels really good and fairly deep. Framerate is low at times but has never been gamebreaking. The only thing I dont like so far is that you're forced to replay like every stage if you're trying to find everything. I always hate that school of design. Otherwise, its aces. The boss battles especially are awesome.

You can go back to a level, grab the gem/item, and go back to the world map and you'll still have it. You have to finish the stage after any trial, however.

brandonh83 said:
You can go back to a level, grab the gem/item, and go back to the world map and you'll still have it. You have to finish the stage after any trial, however.
Really? Guess I am going gem hunting later on tonight.

Top Bottom