• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Glix

Didn't have much time to play last night. Went from 7-2 to 8-3. I've loved it from the start, but I'm just loving it more and more as I get further and further.

Amazing game.

Darkgran

Bought it last Tuesday and played for a bit...did not like it.

Then I decided to give it another shot over the weekend. I dont know what changed but I freaking love this game. I couldn't put it down last night. I just finished Chapter 3 and I can't wait to get home to play.

Darkgran said:
Bought it last Tuesday and played for a bit...did not like it.

Then I decided to give it another shot over the weekend. I dont know what changed but I freaking love this game. I couldn't put it down last night. I just finished Chapter 3 and I can't wait to get home to play.
It gets better.

LaneDS

Seems like if this game fails it'd be the fault of bad/non-existent marketing on Konami's part. Word of mouth is mostly quite good and if something like Dante's Inferno can do alright, this game should have been huge with the right ad campaign.

Spirit of Jazz said:
This happens against all the larger enemies, I just took on the butcher and was hit be the same cruddy death.
With that said I think the butchers death has been my favorite so far.

I really hope this isn't an intentional decision because damn is it annoying.

andymcc

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I really hope this isn't an intentional decision because damn is it annoying.

i was fighting against
Olrox
and i died whenever he was still swinging his sword, prior to contact. there are so many rookie mistakes made in this game.

Volcynika

I know some people mentioned that (Chapter 8-3)
Olrox was tough, but I had zero issues with him really. It took me a bit to figure out about destroying the bodies so he wouldn't gain life from them anymore, but his patterns were fairly easy. I'd just always watch for him to pull out his blade, dodge, then wait again for a claw attack to counter and keep close to him unless I needed to heal and let him do his blade throwing move so I could hit him for some health

I wasn't home over the weekend and appearently my copy was left with a neighbour by the post, but upon asking the neighbour he said he hasn't gotten anything for me.

FUCK.

Now I'm not only out of 40€ until I get this cleared up, if at all, I also can't play the damn game for the forseeable future.

I feel like fucking killing someone, preferably my neighbour who is probably fucking me over.

AsylumBlue said:
Holy fuck, the manual has less content than the menu at this small restaurant I went to last night.

I opened it up and was like WTF my manual is in french dammit.. then I realized the manual is only 2 pages, the rest is Spanish and french.

worst manual yet?

MoxManiac

Yeah the manual is activision/EA level of shit. Actually, I think they make their manuals more than 4 pages (of english) unlike LoS!

Blader

Finally got around to playing the 360 demo, it was pretty good. Only had a couple complaints:

-while riding the horse, there was a delayed response between pressing X and Gabriel actually attacking
-fixed camera was a little annoying at times
-Patrick Stewart narration was cringeworthy; I love the guy, but goddamn, those bits were painful to listen to

Also, re: framerate

It seemed fine to me during actual gameplay, but completely went to shit during the cutscenes. Is this better in the retail version (or the PS3 version)?

Other than that, I think I may pick this up.

Blader5489 said:
Finally got around to playing the 360 demo, it was pretty good. Only had a couple complaints:

-while riding the horse, there was a delayed response between pressing X and Gabriel actually attacking
-Patrick Stewart narration was cringeworthy; I love the guy, but goddamn, those bits were painful to listen to

It seemed fine to me during actual gameplay, but completely went to shit during the cutscenes. Is this better in the retail version (or the PS3 version)?

I have the same complaints, and that's why I'm not getting the game... not at full price at least.

.la1n

Blader5489 said:

yes it's better in the PS3 version which has been stated, oh I don't know, 6 thousand times in this very thread?

I don't understand the frame rate issue, I'm playing on 360 and outside of the rainy intro the frame rate seems fine.. the shaky came bothers me more.

I just got done playing DR2 and the frame rate bothered me more in that game, I however love both games to death!

JetBlackPanda said:
I don't understand the frame rate issue, I'm playing on 360 and outside of the rainy intro the frame rate seems fine.. the shaky came bothers me more.

I just got done playing DR2 and the frame rate bothered me more in that game, I however love both games to death!

I never understood the hate either, just finished the game yesterday night. I will say it is definitely less then ideal, but it is completely playable and didn't stop me from loving the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MadOdorMachine said:
I don't see how this game is any better than the other 4 attempts which were all good imo. At least they were trying something original whereas this game copies from pretty much 4 games - Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Uncharted and Shadow of the Colossus. This one is more of an adventure game similar to the N64 games which felt more like a Castlevania to me than this. Graphics play a part in it. Japanese action games typically run at a much higher framerate and have a more arcady vibe to them. They don't try to be realistic whereas this game goes for the realism even when in a completely unrealistic setting. I guess that's what I want - a more arcady actionvania similar to Dracula X Chronicles and Lament of Innocence but with some platforming mixed in as well like the N64 games or this one. LoS is a good homage to the series, but I look at it kind of like the Prime games to Metroid. You know it's not the real deal.

=/

MadOdorMachine said:
It's actually the art direction, the character models in particular are pretty bad with the exception of Gabriel imo.

\=

mjc

andymcc said:
i'd have to agree with him. most of the smaller monsters in the game look like reject LotR orcs in the face.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Besides, the monster designs in this game are ace IMO.

JetBlackPanda said:

Lower framerate means more control lag.

Even if it isn't considered a "pure" action game, LoS is pretty combat heavy. If the game reacts slower to my inputs, it becomes frustrating.

Ok people where the FUCK is the third green fairy? lol I feel I simple missed it and its right in front of my noise. And whats up with that
chapter 3
only being two levels? Just made me think... damnnn... lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok people where the FUCK is the third green fairy? lol I feel I missed it simple.

Did you find the second gate for the crank?
It's inside the room right before the first gate.

Fimbulvetr said:
Did you find the second gate for the crank?
It's inside the room right before the first gate.

Hmmm trying to remember, I did this a few days ago. I just know to get the first two ended up going high up on what I think was both sides of the place. So maybe what your talking about I missed... hmmmm

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok people where the FUCK is the third green fairy? lol I feel I simple missed it and its right in front of my noise.

You have obviously moved the globes as you got the second fairy. Go back the bridge (just after swinging across the globes) and go to the crank you fixed to open the door. Remove the lever and backtrack into the main room. On the wall is another place to put the lever - from there it is pretty straight forward.

the_prime_mover said:
You have obviously moved the globes as you got the second fairy. Go back the bridge (just after swinging across the globes) and go to the crank you fixed to open the door. Remove the lever and backtrack into the main room. On the wall is another place to put the lever - from there it is pretty straight forward.

Thank you... I was searching forever!!!!

WHOOOO. Seriously fucked up shit. Beware.

I just got to
Lucifer
and had to go pick up the gf from school. Since the game saves at very regular intervals I normally just quite out and continue later. I begin the final fight and stop the game. BUT when I come back and boot up Vania all my save data is gone. It somehow erased all my progress and now shows 0.00% completion and 0:00 hours of gameplay. Let me be honest- I was loving this game. Playing all week with loving devotion eager to meet the final challenge. Now I just don't have the energy to do all of it again. It's a long game and I am severely disappointed that a glitch like this exists.

Ice Titan trial is easy once you figure out that you can
use a crystal attack to bring its health down considerably, requiring only one hit per rune instead of 8 or 9
. After that it's a matter of getting to each rune and quickly moving onto the next.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
evilromero said:
WHOOOO. Seriously fucked up shit. Beware.

I just got to
Lucifer
and had to go pick up the gf from school. Since the game saves at very regular intervals I normally just quite out and continue later. I begin the final fight and stop the game. BUT when I come back and boot up Vania all my save data is gone. It somehow erased all my progress and now shows 0.00% completion and 0:00 hours of gameplay. Let me be honest- I was loving this game. Playing all week with loving devotion eager to meet the final challenge. Now I just don't have the energy to do all of it again. It's a long game and I am severely disappointed that a glitch like this exists.

This is exactly why I fucking hate the inability to manually save.

dwebo

Jesus I feel bad for all these people losing their saves at the very end. How the heck could a bug that devastating get through QA? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have an external HD connected to my PS3. I'm just going to copy my save over every time I quit for the night.

dwebo said:
Jesus I feel bad for all these people losing their saves at the very end. How the heck could a bug that devastating get through QA? :lol

What bothers me is that they never thought to include manual saving in the game. Why is this not something developers do anymore??

Just include an auto save slot where the game is constantly updating to, and have manual saving for the OCD idiots like myself.

forrest

formerly nacire
Sorry to hear people are having corrupted save file issues. I'm on the PS3 and luckily haven't had any issues, but I've been backing up my file since I heard about the issue. Hopefully they can release a patch to address the issue in the near future.

So I'm fighting this fat cook guy and his attacks are hitting me before his weapon is even remotely close to me? Like, his sword is above his fucking head! Kind of bugging me, I've been really enjoying the game so far but this seems kind of unfair.

Baloonatic said:
So I'm fighting this fat cook guy and his attacks are hitting me before his weapon is even remotely close to me? Like, his sword is above his fucking head! Kind of bugging me, I've been really enjoying the game so far but this seems kind of unfair.
You seem to get hit once the animation starts.

thetrin

Baloonatic said:

If you're talking about the Evil Butcher, I didn't have that issue at all. That's really bizarre.

Top Bottom