• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Vrakanox

Phenomic said:
Have a question regarding Chapter 11.

Fighting the Dracolich and I'm climbing down toward his back I guess. However, I find there's no place to go after a certain point. I'm currently hanging on one of the outer bones after jumping from a relatively larger platform. Any help would be great.

You need to latch onto the bottom of him with your whip and you'll climb up the other side. It will look like you're at the same place where you first grabbed onto him but you're not. Do it once you have gone as far as you can go.

thetrin said:
See, the length isn't what bothers me. The writing is just bland and, at times, embarrassingly badly written. That said, I like the overarching decay of Gabriel as he goes deeper and deeper into the world.

I appreciate the themes and story elements that the game puts forth. I just think the delivery kinda sucks.

I totally agree with this, I'm enjoying the overarching narrative but the writing is so bad. I don't really blame Stewart for the poor reading; in fact I was shocked he actually even read some of the lines given how poor they are.

Phenomic

Vrakanox said:
You need to latch onto the bottom of him with your whip and you'll climb up the other side. It will look like you're at the same place where you first grabbed onto him but you're not. Do it once you have gone as far as you can go.

Does it like prompt you where you need to do this with one of the blue glowing things or do you just where to go and do this?

Vrakanox

Phenomic said:
Does it like prompt you where you need to do this with one of the blue glowing things or do you just where to go and do this?

It will be a big things hanging off the bottom of him that's glowing. You latch to it and then climb around to the other side and then up. You want to make your way to his front.

Ledsen

thetrin said:
If you're talking about the Evil Butcher, I didn't have that issue at all. That's really bizarre.
You may not have noticed it, but some of the hit boxes in this game are really screwed up, and the
Butchers
overhead attack is one of them. I seem to remember another boss having the same stupid thing. You can really tell sometimes these guys never made an action game before.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ledsen said:
You may not have noticed it, but some of the hit boxes in this game are really screwed up, and the
Butchers
overhead attack is one of them. I seem to remember another boss having the same stupid thing. You can really tell sometimes these guys never made an action game before.

it's a pretty stellar effort for a studio that has never made a game of its type before.

andymcc

Banned
thetrin said:
it's a pretty stellar effort for a studio that has never made a game of its type before.

kind of. as far as the mechanics are concerned, it's interesting. but sometimes erratic collision detection coupled with an already bad framerate is pretty devastating.

Ledsen

thetrin said:
I didn't say it was a bad game, far from in fact. There are a lot of obvious mistakes though.

Gattsu25

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Yeah, it's kind of tricky. Basically what I do is repel down as far as you can before the chain breaks. It's pretty cheap how it does that, but what you'll want to do is go down to where Gabriel is hanging right above what looks like a hole in the wall beneath his feet.

Once there, hit square to kick away from the wall, followed by a jump, and you should land on the bridge.
I hated this part. Couple this area with an ability that hasn't been used in this circumstance (or at all, in the last ~1.5hrs) and I was a frustrated bear.

Love the game, though. This feels more like CV than the Igavania games that had the trite anime artstyle. I love the unique take on vampire lore, as well.

I just encountered the weirdest glitch when fighting the Ogre mini-boss.

I start the QTE sequence and the entire game just slows to a crawl(the enclosing circles for the QTE were still going at normal speed though).

I was literally sitting there for a full minute while the thing was flailing around, and Gabriel kept grunting every second of it. :lol

It was completely normal after the sequence ended, though.

Some of these trials are just painful. Luckily I've gotten several very difficult ones out of the way that I was dreading quite a bit, but there's still a few more that trouble my mind indeed. I may yet cry bloody tears before this is over.

Gattsu25 said:
Love the game, though. This feels more like CV than the Igavania games that had the trite anime artstyle. I love the unique take on vampire lore, as well.

That's the same way I feel. The game does a great job at presenting the vampires, from their design, intimidation, and hell I even like their dialogue and voice acting.

That combined with no anime crap is enough to help jettison this installment over those, personally speaking.

Dartastic

So I'm about to start chapter 11, but I have a lot of work to do tonight for school. How long will it take me to finish? I'm gonna start the school work now, but I REALLY wanna play tonight.

mjc

I think I know whats bothering me about Patrick Stewart's pre-chapter readings. The guy didn't stagger the sentences long enough, he just goes right into the next sentence without pausing.

I am surprised that people are hating this game because of the story/narrative. Guys this is Castlevania, all you need to know is that you have to kill monsters than ultimately make it to Death than Dracula, while destroying all monsters and evil that get in your path. The story should be bare bones and nothing more anyways IMO. Just give me a whip and monsters and I am good.

So far I am on chapter 5 and this game rocks. I cant wait to see what crazy classic monster is going to come at me next. I am digging this game and as a long time CV fan I can say that I am pleased with the direction it went even if it is a little bit Fable/LotR mixed in with a little bit of Goth classic CV flair. I can see a bit of the Japanese influence in the art style as well.

What is a script? A miserable little pile of words...

Anyway.. Just got this today:

- Framerate doesn't bother me as much as it should
- I really like the keep-away nature of the secondary - feels like B:AA in that regard
- Stabbing goblins until they explode is always fun

I haven't had much time with it, but I'm on 1-3 I think (the bogs?). Playing on Knight difficulty, which feels about right for me currently.

vireland

mjc said:
I think I know whats bothering me about Patrick Stewart's pre-chapter readings. The guy didn't stagger the sentences long enough, he just goes right into the next sentence without pausing.

That definitely could have been done in post-production by someone else entirely (removing the spacing between sentences/retiming delivery manually). I'm not blaming him. I can't imagine he would give a reading like that.

andymcc

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
I dunno. I'd rather fight Cornell again than haaving to deal with these fucking Swordmasters.

some of the regular enemy encounters may ramp up a bit, but the boss battle difficulty definitely peaked at cornell.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LabouredSubterfuge said:
I dunno. I'd rather fight Cornell again than haaving to deal with these fucking Swordmasters.

Swordmasters are fucking pushover, unless you break your thumb and are unable to press the subweapon button to toss fairies out.

andymcc said:
kind of. as far as the mechanics are concerned, it's interesting. but sometimes erratic collision detection coupled with an already bad framerate is pretty devastating.

I haven't had any collision detection issues yet, so I can't speak to that, but the framerate honestly doesn't bother me, mostly because I don't have cyborg eyes like the rest of GAF seems to.

andymcc

Banned
thetrin said:
Swordmasters are fucking pushover, unless you break your thumb and are unable to press the subweapon button to toss fairies out.

as is with all enemies, countering also works wonders with them. (that is if they're not throwing out projectiles.)

thetrin

Pimpbaa said:
Definitely. That anime styled shit was the worst thing to happen to the series.

You realize that Rondo of Blood, one of the best in the series, had anime cutscenes, right?

mjc

vireland said:
That definitely could have been done in post-production by someone else entirely (removing the spacing between sentences/retiming delivery manually). I'm not blaming him. I can't imagine he would give a reading like that.
Yeah I think you're right. I don't know why they thought it would have been a good idea though.

Dartastic

Dartastic said:
So I'm about to start chapter 11, but I have a lot of work to do tonight for school. How long will it take me to finish? I'm gonna start the school work now, but I REALLY wanna play tonight.
Quoting myself because I NEED TO KNOWWWWWW

LabouredSubterfuge said:

I had to fight
the second and third stages
of Cornell with no life, no mana. Each time that I died i respawn with life to resist a small hit. Twenty minutes of rolling and rolling and making a single hit each time that he dash. So, no, I don't want to fight him ever again.

Swordmasters are VERY easy. Even without fairies (I never remember to use subweapons). They are too fast to cover, specially when there are more than one. But if you make 2 or 3 attacks from far away, and roll when they get close, you can defeat it in a few attacks. Also, there is no QTE to kill them.

thetrin said:
You realize that Rondo of Blood, one of the best in the series, had anime cutscenes, right?

It did have anime like cut scenes but the art style that the in game engine used was the same its been since CVI. Still kept the goth style. I would say that DoS is when they started to go all out anime with the graphic style. SotN still looked goth to me.

Picked this game up last Friday and I've been going through it nice and slow; been averaging a chapter a day so far.

Enjoying the hell out of it. Just beat the chapter 4 boss and the game's been getting better and better. I love how the game rewards you for mixing it up in combat. Been playing it on the Hard difficulty from the start and it's been quite the challenge in certain spots (but never really unfair), too.

A huge fan of the art design in the game, as well. Not only do the enemies look fantastic, but I really, really like Gabriel's design. All the sketches in your log book/skill book are really cool.

So happy this game wasn't a disappointment for me. :D

g.r.e.

I HATE the gauntlet. I happen to use it when I seriously don't want to, like in bossfights, leaving me ready to take hits. :(

andymcc

Banned
brandonh83 said:
The only creatures that really remind me of LOTR are the Wargs. LOTR didn't exactly invent the giant monster genre.
C'mon dude, the vampires and goblins? They look JUST like the film's orcs in the face.

I know all of this boils down to a matter of taste, but I miss the monsters that look like Japanese takes on Hammer Horror or Universal monsters... I hope I'm not alone!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Does anyone know if the OST can be purchased separately? I didn't pre-order in time for the CE and Amazon.com doesn't show an OST available, either for CD or download (I would prefer download, btw).

Solune

brandonh83 said:
The only creatures that really remind me of LOTR are the Wargs. LOTR didn't exactly invent the giant monster genre.

It's like how everyone compares the soundtrack to...... LOTR! Just let them nitpick honestly, it's a waste of breath on purists.

Anyone complete the Stone Titan trial yet? I run through that thing flawlessly and never have enough time to finish it. I use the crystal to get its health down and I leap rather than shimmy. I cannot think of a way to do it faster.

Tokubetsu

brandonh83 said:
Anyone complete the Stone Titan trial yet? I run through that thing flawlessly and never have enough time to finish it. I use the crystal to get its health down and I leap rather than shimmy. I cannot think of a way to do it faster.

Had the same problem with the ice titan one when I tried. So I'm just continuing to get all the gems and weapon upgrades I missed and then I'll go back to those.

brandonh83 said:
I go back and do every trail before moving on to the next level.

When I saw that they're asking to complete the first titan in 1:30, I knew it was something I would never even attempt, for the sake of my health and my controller.

andymcc said:
C'mon dude, the vampires and goblins? They look JUST like the film's orcs in the face.

I know all of this boils down to a matter of taste, but I miss the monsters that look like Japanese takes on Hammer Horror or Universal monsters... I hope I'm not alone!

As I am getting through this game I can totally see where you are coming from. While I dont think all of the designs are like LotR and I actually find a few enemies in this game that look very Japanese designed. I do think a lot of the creatures are a bit too "primal" looking. But I think that has to do more with when the game takes place. I hope they make the sequel set in the 1400's-1700's.

Top Bottom