• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

I did it.

It's a matter of memorization and leaping around as fast as you can. It's pretty hard, but doable. The stone titan was way harder than the ice titan though, which I did after only a couple of attempts.

I had 2 seconds left when I beat the stone titan, and that was after knowing every single beat of the battle, as well as cutting some corners and even letting go of R2 a bit early during the shaking sequences in favor of getting a head start on the next climb.

35 hours, 97.26% completion so far.

Paladin difficulty isn't so bad when you have the Ultimate Light and Shadow attacks. I think the roughest part of Paladin is going to be fighting
Pan
since you can't use magic right off the bat.

forrest

formerly nacire
I loved it. Getting all collectibles and trials now. I really just hope the game sells well as Mercurysteam deserves great success on this in my opinion.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
brandonh83 said:
35 hours, 97.26% completion so far.

Paladin difficulty isn't so bad when you have the Ultimate Light and Shadow attacks. I think the roughest part of Paladin is going to be fighting
Pan
since you can't use magic right off the bat.

I found that to be the easiest boss of the game. It's pretty much impossible to mess up the timing of his attacks so I never got hit once. I didn't even move I just countered him into oblivion. I can't imagine Paladin being much more difficult.

luka said:
I found that to be the easiest boss of the game. It's pretty much impossible to mess up the timing of his attacks so I never got hit once. I didn't even move I just countered him into oblivion.

Yeah I suppose if you nail down his attack patterns it shouldn't be that difficult. But I'm not the best in the world at that, and on Paladin, roughly 4 hits and you're done.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
schennmu said:
Holy shit, this games makes some people rage :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f57t2Vcbk#t=5m17s (slight location spoilers)

That's amazing. He went directly to the advanced abilities he didn't have instead of the basic ones the game gives you by default. :lol

I was getting really annoyed by all the handholding tutorials early in the game, but apparently people really do need them. I mean the game seemed totally excessive in it's babying but it still wasn't enough!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
luka said:
That's amazing. He went directly to the advanced abilities he didn't have instead of the basic ones the game gives you by default. :lol

I was getting really annoyed by all the handholding tutorials early in the game, but apparently people really do need them. I mean the game seemed totally excessive in it's babying but it still wasn't enough!

He's been doing that a lot in his videos. He didn't read scrolls for most of the game and solved all the magic enfused runes with trial and error instead of reading the scroll about the puzzle...then complaining that it takes health off for doing it wrong. :lol

luka said:

No, it's never enough, that's why we can't have challenging games anymore.
The best thing is that he blames Kojima for every little annoyance in the game!

dwebo

Papercuts said:
He didn't read scrolls for most of the game and solved all the magic enfused runes with trial and error instead of reading the scroll about the puzzle
Those puzzles were such a waste of time. It was probably faster to just do trial and error. I never even found the damn scroll for the last one, not that I looked very hard.

Tokubetsu

luka said:

This makes me so sad as a gamer.

C-Jo

I'm a couple levels into Chapter 2, and... I'm not sure how I feel about it so far. Between the constant tutorials and relatively short levels, I'm finding it hard to really get immersed. And it's a total shame because this game is gorgeous. At any rate, I can't help but think that more of an open world/hub-type set up would suit this world more.

Oh well, I'll be keeping at it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Just beat the game. I know it's been said before but "Holy shit!" at the ending.

Loved this thing. It shocked me how they were able to ramp up the scale, difficulty, and all around epic with each new chapter.

By the end of the game--well--let's just say I had a smile on my face during the entire last chapter and afterward :)

Don't think I'm going to be going for 110% just yet. Also, the music was freaking awesome.

C-Jo said:
I'm a couple levels into Chapter 2, and... I'm not sure how I feel about it so far. Between the constant tutorials and relatively short levels, I'm finding it hard to really get immersed. And it's a total shame because this game is gorgeous. At any rate, I can't help but think that more of an open world/hub-type set up would suit this world more.

It does get better. Chapter 1 and most of 2 I didn't think were very good.

I finished about an hour ago and thought it was great fun. Ending was completely insane and I encountered a fair few bugs throughout but otherwise it was enjoyable. Some of the best boss fights ever.

I guess they have plans for what to do with a sequel and I hope it happens for them.

forrest

formerly nacire
Gattsu25 said:
Just beat the game. I know it's been said before but "Holy shit!" at the ending.

Loved this thing. It shocked me how they were able to ramp up the scale, difficulty, and all around epic with each new chapter.

By the end of the game--well--let's just say I had a smile on my face during the entire last chapter and afterward :)

Don't think I'm going to be going for 110% just yet. Also, the music was freaking awesome.

Amen. My sentiments exactly!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The first level in chapter 10 is terribly designed, my goodness. I had to resort to using a walkthrough because I had no fucking clue where to go and the distance gaps are terrible as well even with running + double jumping. Although I suppose the silver-lining is that it's the only level in the entire game I've had to use a walkthrough for so far.

Beat the game earlier today.

For me, the game became "Castlevania" around the third or fourth chapter. Stages seemed "right", as did more of the enemies. The whip platforming came into it's own and I really felt like I was playing a 3D Castlevania 4. Letting go of ledges then latching on with the whip, only to whip, AGAIN! Cool stuff, indeed. Unlocked all but two of the moves in list by the end of the game.

Whoever said boss difficulty peaked at Cornell hit it right on the nose, though. Boss fights rarely, if ever, ramped up in difficulty beyond the "arena style" dodge/counter like hell formula, as did most of the game's combat in general. I can recall the
Pan
fight ending with quite the wet thud and myself saying, "That's it?" when it was said and done. We also don't need a cutscene for every enemy type introduced. And where the hell was the variety in enemy encounters? Two enemy types at once seemed to be the most.

As for the music, I don't really know where I stand. I'm a huge fan of all the classic Castlevania tunes and Lords of Shadow has a really great score. It just seems as if not enough music was composed for the entirety of the project. Next time, I hope they don't rinse and repeat as many of the tracks as they did on this outing.

The entire end of the game felt like, "Oh shit, we're at Chapter 12? Let's wrap this up as quickly and loosely as possible. Time for a five minute diatribe by
Jean-Luc
! Surprise, it's
Satan
!" The latter half of the game was filled with some horrific writing/performances but as someone else stated earlier, the dialogue could have been diced to shreds in post production.

All in all, I had a blast with it. I can't wait to see what MercurySteam has left up their sleeves for a sequel. Anyways, I'm off to grab some more items and tackle some of these challenges.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
FrostuTheNinja said:
Beat the game earlier today. Whoever said boss difficulty peaked at Cornell hit it right on the nose, though..
Well, the bestiary does say that Cornell is the strongest :lol

schennmu said:
Holy shit, this games makes some people rage :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f57t2Vcbk#t=5m17s (slight location spoilers)

I love his, "How do you use the swiiiiiiitch?!"

Honestly though, if there is anything to bitch about, it's the "Do not hold the right trigger/R2 whilst moving/rotating things" I can't count how many times I would hold R2 and start rotating a gear and Gabriel would just let go half way through the animation.

Ugh...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
andymcc said:
C'mon dude, the vampires and goblins? They look JUST like the film's orcs in the face.

I know all of this boils down to a matter of taste, but I miss the monsters that look like Japanese takes on Hammer Horror or Universal monsters... I hope I'm not alone!

The creatures have a western looks as opposed to a eastern, and that is what makes them third rate?

Alright, finished chapter 1. Not bad in my opinion. From what I have been reading, it starts to pick up in Chapter 3?

Edit: it also appears that the framerate jumped up in ch 2.

Dartastic

black_vegeta said:
Alright, finished chapter 1. Not bad in my opinion. From what I have been reading, it starts to pick up in Chapter 3?

Edit: it also appears that the framerate jumped up in ch 2.
It gets considerably better in Chapter 3, and the framerate stops being as terrible as well.

Maffis

I thought the framerate became pretty good in chapter 2 and onwards, except some occasional levels on chapter 5 so far.

andymcc

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
The creatures have a western looks as opposed to a eastern, and that is what makes them third rate?

i said i wished they looked more like Hammer or Universal monsters. did you even read my post?

Naeblish

It gets better in chapter 3? Wow, i'm already having so much fun in chapter 1 & 2. I'm redoing most of the stages now, i play at the second difficulty, and i end up at 92%. I guess the 8% is the knight difficulty? Also, are there any rewards for 100% or completing a trial?

Naar

This is absolutely one of the best games I played this year and glad so many people are enjoying it :D

Can't wait for the DLC and glad that a sequel is being worked on :)

Don't know how someone found this but one of the people on the castlevania dungeon forums posted this link to alot of artwork

LOS artwork page

My personal fave.

Tower%20Entrance.png

LordAlu

I just got to the boss in Chapter 3. Managed to beat him and then
he went into another form! I had practically no health and no magic.... I lost
:(

Looks like it's time to go back and look for some of the gems I've missed! Really enjoying it so far though, it's hard but not frustrating, and damn beautiful to boot!

I've now paid 120€ across 3 different versions and retailers just to hold ONE copy in my hands. If this doesn't turn out to be the best game EVER, I'm going to be pissed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
YianGaruga said:
I've now paid 120€ across 3 different versions and retailers just to hold ONE copy in my hands. If this doesn't turn out to be the best game EVER, I'm going to be pissed.
Yeah that's a reasonable expectation

C-Jo said:

Ugh, I hate hub worlds. Stick with it. I actually appreciated some of the short levels as they enhanced the feeling of progress. The game really picks up on Chapter 3.

kadab

Just finished the game. Holy s***t what a awesome game. Havent played a good&interesting game in a long time. Good job mercury steam.

Barrett2

Ch.4 has a great ominous vibe. The more i think about it, i have no idea why the demo wasn't a later level. The environments get so much more interesting past the first hour or two.

I am also now playing on easy. With a long game like this, I want to make sure i actually finish it before losing interest. I hate playing on baby mode, but I am turrible at character action games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lawblob said:
Ch.4 has a great ominous vibe. The more i think about it, i have no idea why the demo wasn't a later level. The environments get so much more interesting past the first hour or two.
I said 4-1 should have been the demo earlier. It runs better, is gorgeous, and has platforming.

Top Bottom