• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit my package is in town but it sent to the wrong address. ;_;

It should be recoverable but that kills my chance at opening it before work.

Tales of Retail!

Went to gamestop to pick this up.
"Did you preorder?"
"No."
Tries to give me a gutted box
"I'm not going to buy an open-box copy..."
"Well you know a great way to ensure that you get a sealed copy day one is to-"
I was out the door before I heard the rest of that sentence.

At walmart: No PS3 copies in stock, no explanation.

At Best Buy: They have it but only the non-sexy cover. I buy it anyway.
Clerk: "Catherine...is this an anime or a game?"
"It's a game. It's sort of a puzzle-"
"64.94"
"Right..."

And that was the first and last time in 2011 that I bought a game from anywhere except Amazon.

Magnus

I feel bad for customers getting their online shipments delayed, but this seems to happen in like, every new release thread for every game ever. I get laughed at when I suggest that buying at retail might be superior for this reason on new release stuff where the price is pretty uniform everywhere, but these delays are ubiquitous, even with the best retailers, like amazon.

And why is everyone so averse to preordering? Obviously you shouldn't be getting a gutted copy of a new release on its first day on sale, but it's a reality everyone's been aware of at GS for quite some time (at least in the States). For a game like this that is so niche and shipped in low quantities, it just makes sense to order. It's free to do so, to boot, lol.

Oh well. Hope you guys get your game soon!

I nabbed Catherine on a whim on the way home just now.

Never played a Persona/SMT game before, save Nocturne for all of five minutes years ago, but have always been drawn to the style and imagery. This being a new franchise altogether kind of broke down the wall of not knowing where to start in a decade(s?)-old franchise that's sprawled all over the place. This looks really great, and I'm going in pretty blind, outside of knowing the basic story premise.

Will post thoughts/impressions this evening!

sonicmj1

A bit over an hour in now. I've cleared the Second Night (Prison of Despair).

I knew the gameplay was interesting in the demo, but it's really exceeding my expectations here. There's some tough puzzling to be had. Even at this point, it's more difficult than the demo, though the game gives you techniques to overcome those challenges.

I unlocked Babel, and the first stage is tough. I got up about 40 or so levels before losing during my best attempts. It definitely forces you to learn how to think on your feet and apply your knowledge, instead of climbing by rote memorization.

So far, I haven't hit any story stuff that I hadn't already seen from released gameplay videos and so forth, but I just reached the first open bar section, so I'm looking forward to seeing what surprises await me.

I had high hopes for this one, and those expectations are definitely being met.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pre-ordered at EB.

EB called me yesterday to tell me they wouldn't have it in until Wednesday.

Picked it up at Microplay.

Canadian art book is bilingual. :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheExodu5 said:
Pre-ordered at EB.

EB called me yesterday to tell me they wouldn't have it in until Wednesday.

Picked it up at Microplay.

Canadian art book is bilingual
. :(

So is the American one.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up my copy of the regular edition on the PS3. Did some trade-ins and only had to pay $18. This almost made me wish I'd preordered the Love is Over edition. The only thing I want from it is the damn pillow case though.

On that note, if someone doesn't want it, PM me and let's make a deeeeal.

Got the bonus soundtrack CD (was this on all editions or just Amazon's?) and can't compliment it enough. Listened to the whole thing over my lunch break and loved it. It's a bunch of classical songs remixed.

Andrefpvs

NichM said:
All art books are bilingual, thanks to Canada.

Je suis pas content maintenant. C'est terrible!

KCHusker33 said:
Got the bonus soundtrack CD (was this on all editions or just Amazon's?) and can't compliment it enough. Listened to the whole thing over my lunch break and loved it. It's a bunch of classical songs remixed.

By Shoji Meguro, which means my PS3 will melt :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheExodu5 said:
I'm so sorry. ;_;

Well, at least now the U.S. can feel the pain we feel every time we buy a game. :p

Atlus and NISA stuff has been bilingual for some time already.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
so hows the quality of the stuff you get? gonna buy two of the love edition... One för my cousin

Thoraxes

KCHusker33 said:
Having performed all the pieces on the soundtrack in an actual orchestra (bought the Japanese one off ebay a long time ago), showing the remixed pieces to my orchestral colleagues was pretty fun and we all liked it, except for the older guys in the group (but they're stingy).

TheExodu5

Banned
Kagari said:
Atlus and NISA stuff has been bilingual for some time already.

I had no idea. I just assumed they started printing Canada specific copies. I guess it wouldn't really make sense, given how few they must actually distribute up here.

Thoraxes said:
Having performed all the pieces on the soundtrack in an actual orchestra (bought the Japanese one off ebay a long time ago), showing the remixed pieces to my orchestral colleagues was pretty fun and we all liked it, except for the older guys in the group (but they're stingy).

Yeah, it's actually got me interested in finding the originals so I can hear the differences. It was just a pleasant surprise to enjoy the freebee so much.

Thoraxes

KCHusker33 said:
Yeah, it's actually got me interested in finding the originals so I can hear the differences. It was just a pleasant surprise to enjoy the freebee so much.
Honestly, in most of the pieces, he keeps to the originals really well. There's different pacing of some sections, some of them are in different keys than the original (is very very common with arrangements), and obviously the instruments are different, but he's surprisingly true to the written music itself as far as the actual content of the pieces go.

Either way, go listen to the originals too! They're great pieces, and if you end up being confused by who the actual composers are of each piece, just send me a PM and i'll help you out, if you end up doing that.

a1m

Banned
Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Shipped

@VGP, yyeaahhhh. Come quickly Catherine!

KCHusker33 said:

Oh yes! Got my Love is Over edition and picked it up during lunch and listened to my sweet, sweet Meguro-san. Can't wait to play the game tonight.

Aquavelvaman said:
Tales of Retail!

Went to gamestop to pick this up.
"Did you preorder?"
"No."
Tries to give me a gutted box
"I'm not going to buy an open-box copy..."
"Well you know a great way to ensure that you get a sealed copy day one is to-"
I was out the door before I heard the rest of that sentence.

You're kind of a jerk.

Oh man, the voice acting/dialog in this game is hilarious.

"The monster talks! Oh fuck! Oh, fuck! Ohfuckohfuckohfuuuuck"

News flash! FUCK YOU!

Nix

Banned
LiK said:
that's what she said.

First of all, that's kind of disgustingly appropriate with that Avatar, and second of all- ha-ha-ha...so wrong.

My copy is still waiting to be shipped. COME ON AMAZON, GET TO IT! Oh, my god, if I have to get my copy on the 29th or something, I will flip; might as well have ordered from Gamestop then.

mattp

stopped by gamestop on my lunchbreak since it was nearby
"no copies unless you preordered it"
womp womp
sorry gamestop, i'm just gonna go buy it at best buy or something, then

i don't get how artificially making pre-orders necessary, by only ordering enough copies of a game to satisfy the preorders, helps your store. i'm just gonna go give my money to someone else, now

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mail came in~!
0kEOvl.jpg

Hobbun

mattp said:
stopped by gamestop on my lunchbreak since it was nearby
"no copies unless you preordered it"
womp womp
sorry gamestop, i'm just gonna go buy it at best buy or something, then

i don't get how artificially making pre-orders necessary, by only ordering enough copies of a game to satisfy the preorders, helps your store. i'm just gonna go give my money to someone else, now

Are you sure he/she just didn’t mean that they ran out and all they have left is for preorders?

Most Gamestops don’t get a lot of copies in just to buy off the shelf for Atlus games. Maybe 2-3 at the most. It’s possible your Gamestop ran out of the copies off the shelf and all that was left was the preorder copies.

The GS I use has never told me I couldn’t buy a game unless I preordered it.

mattp

Hobbun said:
Are you sure he/she just didn’t mean that they ran out and all they have left is for preorders?

Most Gamestops don’t get a lot of copies in just to buy off the shelf. Maybe 2-3 at the most. It’s possible your Gamestop ran out of the copies off the shelf and all that was left was the preorder copies.

The GS I use has never told me I couldn’t buy a game unless I preordered it.
well that's my point, gamestops never order copies of games unless it's to fullfill a preorder.(maybe 2 or 3 like you said)
it seems silly to me, because i can go to best buy and find 10 copies on the shelf(maybe not 10 in catherine's case since it's pretty niche, but for most games)

Thoraxes

mattp said:
well that's my point, gamestops never order copies of games unless it's to fullfill a preorder.(maybe 2 or 3 like you said)
it seems silly to me, because i can go to best buy and find 10 copies on the shelf(maybe not 10 in catherine's case since it's pretty niche, but for most games)
In this case, I actually went to Gamestop because I wanted the more revealing cover. But yeah, you're totally right.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
my VGP order hasn't shipped yet! Looks like it'll be a while before I get to play :<

Magnus said:
I feel bad for customers getting their online shipments delayed, but this seems to happen in like, every new release thread for every game ever. I get laughed at when I suggest that buying at retail might be superior for this reason on new release stuff where the price is pretty uniform everywhere, but these delays are ubiquitous, even with the best retailers, like amazon.

i would rather deal with the super rare occasional delay (in my case) then buy elsewhere. amazon's CS has been great to me. if i had ordered this with RDD and not had prime getting a refund would require a simple email.

in this case amazon gave me $10 in credit for the delay after i contacted them.

Top Bottom