• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Icicle

Just picked up the game about a week ago and I'm absolutely horrible at it. Despite this, I refuse to drop down from Normal Mode. Although I've been stuck on
6-3
for several days now and haven't even gotten to the checkpoint. Should I just give in and drop down at this point, assuming the difficulty is going to steadily increase from here on out? Or is this stage an unusually difficult one?

Otherwise, I quite like the game. I wish the game had original Meguro music though. But god damn do I hate the camera and maneuvering around blocks while you're hanging from them on the back side.

cj_iwakura

Icicle said:
Just picked up the game about a week ago and I'm absolutely horrible at it. Despite this, I refuse to drop down from Normal Mode. Although I've been stuck on
6-3
for several days now and haven't even gotten to the checkpoint. Should I just give in and drop down at this point, assuming the difficulty is going to steadily increase from here on out? Or is this stage an unusually difficult one?

Otherwise, I quite like the game. I wish the game had original Meguro music though. But god damn do I hate the camera and maneuvering around blocks while you're hanging from them on the back side.

It does. All the bar music and tracks in Babel are original.

Don't think i posted since I got the true Catherine ending and holy shit, was it awesome.

Love this game so much, wish I could be better at it. But I can't get above bronze/silver on normal.

Icicle

I haven't played Babel, and perhaps never will due to the the whole being horrible thing. But the music in the bar doesn't really whet my appetite for his music.

I feel like I all I have to look forward to is unlocking music from the old games.

cj_iwakura

Icicle said:
I haven't played Babel, and perhaps never will due to the the whole being horrible thing. But the music in the bar doesn't really whet my appetite for his music.

I feel like I all I have to look forward to is unlocking music from the old games.

I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpW6iTAZaM

The most 'Meguro'-esque Catherine track, besides the end credit music(which I dare not spoil for you).

And yes, 6-3 is one of the toughest in the game. My FAQ in the OP should help.

woober

I just finished this game. What an amazing ride. I love all the fleshed out endings... something I thought was lacking when I played Deus Ex: HR and all they gave were short video synopses that don't say much about the immediate impact of your actions.

The questions you answer and online submission for statistics is a very cool idea too. Makes me feel like they should have done some sort of question to rate the ending so they get some sort of feedback.

Now... all I want is freaking Persona 5. Completely voiced NPCs like Catherine and the awesome dialogue. GIVE IT TO US. COLLEGE SETTING. NOW.

Vally

Ugh, Obelisk is so frustrating >_<... I wanted to climb onto one of those blocks that move on their own, and in the middle of the jump it just moved backwards and I fell when I was already at 200 steps. Even worse is when you're running towards a random block that turns out to be an ice block and causes you to slip and fall off the edge.

Oh well I'll keep trying, at least I want to have that stage cleared (I give up on Axis Mundi, have tried it a dozen of times or so and can't get past 15 steps)

Wizpig

You know those mails with your hi-score you get?

I was playing on Normal, decided it was too hard, switched on Easy for Level 3, then switched on Normal again after Level 3 because it was too easy... and when i received the mail it said "Normal, Hi-Score 0" even if i actually beat it in Easy mode.

I don't know if this is a bug.

What i do know is that the game is too easy on Easy and too hard on Normal for me.
*cries*

Vally

Wizpig said:
You know those mails with your hi-score you get?

I was playing on Normal, decided it was too hard, switched on Easy for Level 3, then switched on Normal again after Level 3 because it was too easy... and when i received the mail it said "Normal, Hi-Score 0" even if i actually beat it in Easy mode.

I don't know if this is a bug.

I think the mails only show you the hi-scores on the current difficulty you have selected; try switching to Easy again and it should display your records on Easy and the actual hi-score you got for that level.

patsu

I played the game until Stage 5, first floor. Like the game so far (Catherine reminds me of a friend. ^_^). According to the manual, I can activate "Very Easy" by holding down the [SELECT] button. But when I did so, I didn't hear any sound. So I'm not sure if it's activated or no. How do I tell for sure ?

Vally

patsu said:
I played the game until Stage 5, first floor. Like the game so far (Catherine reminds me of a friend. ^_^). According to the manual, I can activate "Very Easy" by holding down the [SELECT] button. But when I did so, I didn't hear any sound. So I'm not sure if it's activated or no. How do I tell for sure ?

Are you trying to activate it from within the game? As far as I know you can only do it in the main menu before starting a new game. A message will appear in a corner of the screen so you'll know for sure when it's activated.

patsu

Completed the game on easy. Easy mode stumped me for a few rounds, so the puzzles were still fun for me. I like the first part of the anime much more than the second part though. Also love the art and production of this game.

Finished the game on Normal yesterday with the
Starting a New Life
ending.

Overall, it was an outstanding experience for its story and the puzzle based gameplay. The difficulty peaked at stage
6-3
, with the remaining stages ranging from easy to challenging. Shoji Meguro did an excellent work with the composition of the soundtrack.

Will no doubt play it again for the other endings and the Babel tower, but now it's Dark Souls time. ;)

Slowly getting through this game, I really like it. It's practically fucked up my Plasma through, all those maps and the UI and all the pink in the game burn it really badly after only one level.
Also, is there a reason the audio sounds so shittily compressed in the dialog? Everyone sounds like they are whistling with their 's's it's pretty noticeable and annoying. I can't imagine the game takes up that much space on a Bluray disk, why the horrid compression?
Still enjoyable so far despite all this.

Slermy

I should be doing hw said:
Slowly getting through this game, I really like it. It's practically fucked up my Plasma through, all those maps and the UI and all the pink in the game burn it really badly after only one level.

I have a plasma, finished the game, and had no such issues. Sure it's not just image retention?

Midou

Now... all I want is freaking Persona 5. Completely voiced NPCs like Catherine and the awesome dialogue. GIVE IT TO US. COLLEGE SETTING. NOW.

Yes, oh god yes.

Persona 5 with Catherine graphics and in college setting, I could not imagine a better P3/P4-sort of SMT title.

The relationships could definitely have more significance than naive and embarrassed high school kids. :p

The amount of trial and error I did to get a gold trophy on stage three (normal) was ridiculous. After telling my friend about it, he mentioned the undo feature. I had completely forgotten about that.

Slermy said:
I have a plasma, finished the game, and had no such issues. Sure it's not just image retention?
Burn in, retention, same difference. My plasma is a piece of shit though, if there is a scene in a film with a light or lamp, for example, that will be burned in for around 2-5 minutes depending on whether that changes to brighter colours.
It's not the games fault, its just an annoying culmination of things that wreck my TV.

The audio is my main gripe though, no info at all on that?

Shanks

Does it bother anyone else that it says "CATHERINE trophy" in the trophy menu? It irritates my oc enough when they put trophies at the end. Is there a way to change it?

Vally

Shanks said:
Does it bother anyone else that it says "CATHERINE trophy" in the trophy menu? It irritates my oc enough when they put trophies at the end. Is there a way to change it?

It kind of bothers me too (specially because it says trophy instead of trophies), but I think there's no way to change it.

Phatcorns

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm on Stage 5 and I LOVE this game. Wow, I'm completely transfixed and I love all the philosophy. I got it pretty much just because of the story and the design of everything, but I'm digging the gameplay too actually.

For those of you who have played Persona 4, if I played through it would I get a good quality story like this game's?

Phatcorns

leehom said:
Welp...I'm pretty bored and went ahead and picked it up. Is the ending the same for easy/normal modes? Right now I'm going through the game on easy.

Btw, what's up with the inconsistent sound? Sometimes it's low and sometimes it's really loud...

I noticed this too. I'm using the PS3 version

Phatcorns said:
The sound is much louder in cutscenes.
Probably the audio codec they encoded the anime cutscenes with. My money is on upsampled 5.1 audio which means its basically stereo but pumping out of all your speakers, as opposed to true 5.1 ingame which would be appear quieter because you only have certain effects coming out of each speaker instead. Or they pumped the shit through dialog normalisation in the audio for the cutscenes, or both.

In short, its different audio so it will sound different (louder).

cajunator

Banned
So I just bought this game for Ps3 after playing the demo. I love it and it is already kicking my ass up and down. This game is fucking brutal.

beril

Just bought the game and played through it in two sittings.

I liked the game, but was I bit dissapointed as well. I though the story was a bit boring actually. It starts off so insanely weird, but then it never really goes any further than that, so while the setting was great there were never really any suprises after the initial shock of watching the first trailer. I also didn't get that invested in any of the characters; the theme felt a bit heavy handed with everyone constantly talking about cheating and failed relationships. Still enjoyed it quite a lot though and the gameplay was fun but pretty frustrating at times.

Still I'm curious; how much of the story depends on your choices? Is it just the ending or are there different variations before that?

For me the bar was mosly in the middle for the most part and swung over slightly to the red side in the end.
Everyone except my friends and the reporter died. I broke up with Catherine and was going to marry Katherine, then in a dream K accidentally stabbed C, and we ran from her in the Cathedral, but then K dumped me. After wanting to get her back and confronting Mutton I somehow ended up getting married to Catherine.

cj_iwakura

AstroLad said:
I scanned a few pages of the thread and couldn't find the answer: Any material differences between PS3 & 360?

Marginal, supposed to be slightly better looking cutscenes on PS3. General opinion is go with whatever.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
AstroLad said:
I scanned a few pages of the thread and couldn't find the answer: Any material differences between PS3 & 360?

None really except for (probably slight) graphical compressions on the 360: http://andriasang.com/comtqc/

Oyashiro

Quick question... I just started playing this and Im on like Stage 4 or something. I was at one of the bar portions a while ago and realized that apparently the more drunk you get the faster you are in the puzzle portions? Does that mean that I should get Vincent wasted every time I'm at the bar?

the chris

Oyashiro said:
Quick question... I just started playing this and Im on like Stage 4 or something. I was at one of the bar portions a while ago and realized that apparently the more drunk you get the faster you are in the puzzle portions? Does that mean that I should get Vincent wasted every time I'm at the bar?
Yea, also starting from the first night drink and order one of and finish every drink to get a trophy on the last night if you're into that kind of stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gaah I really wish the game parts were action-puzzler. I hate one-off solvable puzzles. :/ Really love the other parts of the game, just wished that in the gameplay breaks they had me play Lumines or something. (Actually that would fit in quite nicely.)

I finally bought this on Thursday (got a cheap CE) and I'm excited to try it out tonight. I originally had planned on getting it at release, but I ended up cancelling my pre-order because I decided to take a break from gaming for a while.

Is it really as hard as people say it is? This is coming from someone who got fucked during the demo.

Top Bottom