• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

I don't stop by the NFL thread often so won't post about this there, but speaking of Gatas.. I saw the Falcons signed Rex Grossman to a 1 year contract. Had no idea he was still in the league.

Quarterbacking in the NFL is in dire straits. There are 10-12 legit, franchise QBs and then a bunch of guys, who are just guys, that get recycled among the teams that don't have one of those legit QBs.

Draxal

Quarterbacking in the NFL is in dire straits. There are 10-12 legit, franchise QBs and then a bunch of guys, who are just guys, that get recycled among the teams that don't have one of those legit QBs.

It's better than the late 90s, honestly I would call this the era of the qb in the NFL, the problem is that you have all these spread qbs in college that just need to sit and sit when they get to the pros so the recent crop of qb's has been pretty poor asides from Lucky Wilson.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's better than the late 90s, honestly I would call this the era of the qb in the NFL, the problem is that you have all these spread qbs in college that just need to sit and sit when they get to the pros so the recent crop of qb's has been pretty poor asides from Lucky Wilson.

When all the "top" guys get thrown to the dogs immediately it is hard to develop also.

andycapps

Oh I know. The rise of spread offenses has really hurt the NFL due to QB's that are suited for the league being rare.

Still, Rex Grossman?

Also, there are some decent QB's coming out but a lot of them are stuck backing up those franchise guys and you start to wonder if they'll ever get a chance.

I'm sure it is loaded. And everyone knows that every defense will be stacking the box to try to stop Chubb. There were some interesting studies done regarding how much teams did that against Chubb (often) against Chubb last year and how it worked. Most of the time it had little effect due to our OL being stout and Chubb being a monster. The OL has a few future draft picks on it, only change since last year is our center is on the Patriots now, and a guard slid over to center. Breaking in a new center with a new QB can be problematic.
Chubb can be contained. If GT could hold him to 12 yards on 11 carries in the 2nd half and overtime last year then I'm sure Alabama could hold him to a reasonable number.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
These are a thing -

xYwiDb4.jpg

Jhriad

Where else would we rather be?

OT for Saturday at the very least. Participation in the CFB community thread has been slowing over the past few years despite the fact that in that time GAF has seen a significant increase in overall traffic. Here's a quick breakdown of the weekly threads per year. Keep in mind that 2013 was our first year in Community.

Avg. # of Posts

• 2011 : 2655
  • 2012 : 2991
  • 2013 : 2212
  • 2014 : 2007

Avg. # of Views

• 2011 : 51099
  • 2012 : 65304
  • 2013 : 49626
  • 2014 : 46645

# of Unique Posters

• 2012 : 202
  • 2013 : 178
  • 2014 : 175

A drop off for all those is to be expected when moving from OT to Community but the fact is that the CFB community hasn't just failed to keep pace with the growth of GAF as a whole it's actually slowly shrinking. At best it's stagnated and the existing community is slowly disengaging because of that stagnation. I'd wager that a vast majority of the unique posters are the same from 2013 to Present and the absence of new blood into the thread, along with existing members graduating/getting older, has lead to an overall decrease in thread participation for those of us that remain in the thread. I understand the reason why so many threads have been moved over to Community but so many of them permanently sticking to that side, even when big events/news/whatever pertinent to the topic happen, has been detrimental to the long-term health of most community threads. Community was a good idea with a shortsighted implementation for the majority of the communities that exist within its purview. The weekly thread should be moved to OT early Saturday/Late Friday and stay there until early Sunday morning. It requires a small amount of additional attention from a mod with the ability to move the thread but it would be a much better way of managing and actually growing the community. Obviously a solution like this wouldn't necessarily work for every 'Community' but a more managed approach would go a long way to ensure the long-term health of the communities we're attempting to foster. Move a thread over to the appropriate forum temporarily for big news/releases/events/etc. Then move them back over once that event is no longer relevant. There are other ways Community could be better surfaced and managed if they were actually interested in making 'Community' a real addition to GAF as a whole instead of simply a tagged on afterthought.

TL;DR - Community is a bandaid to a previously existing problem that has its own inherent issues.

EDIT: The Offseason threads see similar percentage changes to the weekly threads, barring some crazy posting/viewing spree in this thread over the next couple days.

Oh I know. The rise of spread offenses has really hurt the NFL due to QB's that are suited for the league being rare.

Still, Rex Grossman?

Also, there are some decent QB's coming out but a lot of them are stuck backing up those franchise guys and you start to wonder if they'll ever get a chance.

This is only because of how slow the NFL has been at adopting the spread. You don't even have to go full batshit and run with your QB, look at the Patriots!

Jhriad

I see your stats and I say to you "less is more."

People can find us if they try. (If they don't, all the better.)

That's a pretty shortsighted attitude to take. It's not just that we're not seeing new posters it's that the posters we have are slowing disengaging from the thread. With time that will eventually kill any community.

@LoriSchmidt 44s44 seconds ago
Ohio State football has unexpectedly canceled this afternoon's interviews. Some reporters say they saw a player being carted off the field.

@EricSeger33 5m5 minutes ago
Ohio St. canceled scheduled post-practice interviews. Spokesman said he's not sure the reason, but some solemn bodies on the practice field.

@EricSeger33 1m1 minute ago
Players were huddled behind this black barrier. Maybe injury, but spokesman will update when he can. Just speculation

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

edit:

Zeke, Cardale, JT all were seen walking back. Wonder if Braxton got another injury.

Ohio State football has unexpectedly canceled this afternoon's interviews. Some reporters say they saw a player being carted off the field.

Ohio St. canceled scheduled post-practice interviews. Spokesman said he's not sure the reason, but some solemn bodies on the practice field.

Players were huddled behind this black barrier. Maybe injury, but spokesman will update when he can. Just speculation

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

edit:

Zeke, Cardale, JT all were seen walking back. Wonder if Braxton got another injury.

Sounds like it was Noah Brown our sophmore WR expected to have a big year

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

edit:

I88wDKc.jpg

[ Urban Chuckling ] Alford, there's no way I can lose this bet unless, of course, my nine all-stars three quarterbacks fall victim to three separate misfortunes and are unable to play this season.
But that will never happen.
One misfortune, that's possible. Two misfortunes, there's an outside chance but three misfortunes-- I'd like to see that.

AntoneM

Can't wait for ASU to beat aTm, USC, and UCLA to go to 6-0, only to lose at Oregon State Utah and at home to Oregon and be knocked down to the Sun Bowl again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom