• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Looks like everybody we had committed is in for us, plus we added the expected two announcing players in DB Jamile Johnson and WR JF Thomas (who flipped from TCU). Now we play the waiting game for the announcements of a couple more OL and a DE, only one of the three of which I would say we have a good chance at getting (and he's likely departing for a mormon mission for the next two years).

I like the talent we added individually but am really concerned about DL depth starting in the 2016 season. We really needed numbers on the DL in this class and we just didn't end up with them.
Didn't Tech hire those kids' HS coach?

UF keeps Ivey!!!! Woo!!!!! :-D Great pickup at a major position of need. Hope CeCe follows suit later this afternoon. Go Gata!
Fixed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Rico Mcgraw ended up signing with UGA, which probably wasn't any surprise to anyone following Bama's recruiting.

Terry Godwin at 6 PM is probably the most important news remaining for us. Really need to hope he signs as WR is a real position of need.

Rumor on the Dawg boards is he is going to Auburn. YMMV on this info.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Rico Mcgraw ended up signing with UGA, which probably wasn't any surprise to anyone following Bama's recruiting.

Terry Godwin at 6 PM is probably the most important news remaining for us. Really need to hope he signs as WR is a real position of need.

Yeah.

Hate that signing 2 5-star CB's would drive off a 4-star, even when you look at the fact that there's only 1 returning "upper classmen" in the starting DB department (Cyrus Jones.) Playing time is there, if you fight for it.

Yeah, I'm hearing a Godwin rumor to Auburn.

Why do I still hear slight "Koujadjo" rumors with Cowart's Auburn LOI. It's apparently not in yet.

Pretty solid class so far. Really addressed WR needs too. Just waiting on WR Khalil Lewis, who is a WVU commit but has been wavering between them and UCF. Getting him would be great, but if not, still a good day.

andycapps

Rumor on the Dawg boards is he is going to Auburn. YMMV on this info.

All the recent crystal ball projections on 247 indicate that as well. Wouldn't shock me. His dad is ill and Malzahn has been pushing the angle that Auburn is closer than UGA. We'll see.

Lonestar said:
Yeah.

Hate that signing 2 5-star CB's would drive off a 4-star, even when you look at the fact that there's only 1 returning "upper classmen" in the starting DB department (Cyrus Jones.) Playing time is there, if you fight for it.

He also had Pruitt fighting to get him back. He's a pretty good recruiter, and clearly has no problem playing true freshmen. Last year Dominick Sanders played every game as a true freshman who was a last minute 3 star commitment. And did a really good job considering his supposed talent and his time in the program.

Urbz just said that big back out of Michigan (Mike Webber) had a lot of pressure to go to UM even having NFL players visit him telling him to go to Michigan.

Where dem recruiting violations at.

KingGondo

Banned
Getting him would be great, but if not, still a good day.
What are you doing. Freak the fuck out if you don't get him, that's way more entertaining.

bucknuticus said:
Urbz just said that big back out of Michigan (Mike Webber) had a lot of pressure to go to UM even having NFL players visit him telling him to go to Michigan.
That isn't against the rules, is it?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
pettigrew-datalab-signing-day-1.png

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Tech hire those kids' HS coach?

Yup.

There was a run on Dallas area high school head coaches recently; SMU hired the head coach at DeSoto, Texas hired the head coach at Cedar Hill, and Tech hired the head coach at South Oak Cliff. All 3 schools are within a 5 to 10 mile radius of each other in South Dallas, right in the heart of what is arguably the most fertile recruiting ground in the state.

Those kind of hires aren't made for just one year's worth of benefit, but as far as immediate impact SMU's hire got them to keep one WR and add one WR from that school, Tech's hire got the DB and WR to commit today, and on the flip side Texas' hire wasn't quite enough to nab DaMarkus Lodge.

Kacar

Didn't we get in trouble when Urban let a recruit talk to Tebow on the phone? I believe Urban called the recruit to wish him happy birthday and he mentioned he was having lunch with Tebow.

Kacar

Reading that Cowart signed 2 LOI to Auburn and Florida but hasn't sent either in. He's back to "undecided" after putting an Auburn cap on like 3 hours ago.

This guy knows he doesn't have to decide today right?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I guess that must have changed in the past few days. Certainly wasn't the case in the lead up. I know the sports guy from the local news had him predicted to come here when they had a little segment last week. Looking at this article from Burnt Orange Nation from a few days ago though:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/2/2/7967701/soso-jamabo-daylon-mack-eliminate-texas-longhorns

I was really hoping Texas would get Mack. That kid is an absolute monster and is a guaranteed top 5 pick in a few years IMO.

The Texas stuff was basically the result of Murray and Lodge showing up for an UV 10 days ago.

This lead to Daylon Mack and Soso coming on an OV the weekend after that supposedly went especially well.

It became super clear over the last 4-5 days that none of it was going to pan out after Murray recommitted to Aggy last week.

That said, the Murray show appears to have hurt A&M a lot. Since that time-frame their only commitments were getting Murray and Mack, both of whom had been aggy commits for the better part of a year.

They missed at LB and DB entirely. So, their already awful secondary is getting no better any time soon.

Lonestar

NCAA of old were term that as some sort of Violation, and the Letter of Investigation would be in the mail today for both schools.

Now, it's basically The Bachelor for High School Seniors.

I am glad we avoided having Sheffield (CB) flipping to A&M. They pushed hard after him.

StoOgE

Yup.
and on the flip side Texas' hire wasn't quite enough to nab DaMarkus Lodge.

Lodge wasn't coming to Texas without Murray. And he wasn't going to Aggy because Rumlin decided to shit-talk the kid when he opened his recruitment back up.

Also, I don't think Cedar Hill's coach has actually taken the job.

StoOgE

So, Texas is back on top of A&M on all the recruiting rankings.

I guess they have to stop using WRTS?

Most importantly, the Big 12 is a giant talent vacuum right now. OU is hanging out around 15, everyone else is below 30.

Granted, at least 3 coaches (Baylor, TCU, Kstate) win with whoever they get, but opening up a talent gap the way we had in the early to mid 2000s is step one of getting where we need to be.

Draxal

Most importantly, the Big 12 is a giant talent vacuum right now. OU is hanging out around 15, everyone else is below 30.

Granted, at least 3 coaches (Baylor, TCU, Kstate) win with whoever they get, but opening up a talent gap the way we had in the early to mid 2000s is step one of getting where we need to be.

Big Ten is even worse at this.

KingGondo

Banned

I expect us to bounce back next season. We've always done well and competed under Gundy with similarly-rated classes. Our strength coach Rob Glass is a national treasure.

bachikarn

Reading that Cowart signed 2 LOI to Auburn and Florida but hasn't sent either in. He's back to "undecided" after putting an Auburn cap on like 3 hours ago.

This guy knows he doesn't have to decide today right?

I'm actually surprised more top recruits don't wait longer or even sign an LOI at all. Schools will always keep open a spot just in case.

I expect us to bounce back next season. We've always done well and competed under Gundy with similarly-rated classes. Our strength coach Rob Glass is a national treasure.

You guys ended your season on a high note. Won't be suprised to see you guys finish top 3 in the conference next year. TCU and Baylor are the only relative "locks" in the top 2, but 3-7 are up in the air again

KingGondo

Banned
You guys ended your season on a high note. Won't be suprised to see you guys finish top 3 in the conference next year. TCU and Baylor are the only relative "locks" in the top 2, but 3-7 are up in the air again
The biggest problem (and blessing, I suppose) for us is that our schedule is extremely uneven from year to year.

We get TCU, OU, Baylor, and KSU at home next season (along with an easy OOC) so 9-10 wins should be the expectation. In even-numbered years though, that flips around (typically including a late-season visit to Waco and Norman) so it's really hard those years.

Recently this has resulted in us competing in odd-numbered years (won the conference in '11, should have won in '13) and having "down years" in even-numbered years (although last year would have been down even with an advantageous schedule).

I'm extremely optimistic for next season. Rudolph looks like the real deal, the defense could be our best in years, and we addressed the OL and RB situations.

Lonestar

B9BQI3MIcAEnDsO.jpg

CeCe's table, which lead Alabama people to call him going to Florida, just off the hat. Why oh Why is the flat bill cap the "in-thing?" Most disgusting thing EVER. Fuck those trucker style hats. Curve Bill 4 LFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom