• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

UCLA DC Jeff Uldrich was said to be going to the Falcons a couple hours ago. Now he's telling Roquan Smith (who committed to UCLA earlier but hasn't sent in LOI) that he hasn't taken the Falcons position. Remember this if/when Smith commits and Uldrich leaves. Was between UCLA and UGA.

So of course when UGA saw that Uldrich was going to the Falcons, they asked Smith about that he hadn't been told about it before that. Smith is hanging tight until he finds out if Uldrich is leaving.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up 6 receivers today, including three that are listed at 6'1", 6'4", and 6'5". Hopefully that means no more end zone fade/corner routes being thrown to this guy -

4rqVYmI.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Lets all breathe in the fact that OSUn has signed 27 players while having 64 scholarship players returning. 6 Over.

:D

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Lets all breathe in the fact that OSUn has signed 27 players while having 64 scholarship players returning. 6 Over.

:D
You just know that the cock holster who ran oversigning.com would find some way to distinguish how OSU "oversigned" with how Alabama "oversigned."

"Oh, but we did it the right way. Don't ask me what that means, but it was the right way."

AntoneM

You just know that the cock holster who ran oversigning.com would find some way to distinguish how OSU "oversigned" with how Alabama "oversigned."

"Oh, but we did it the right way. Don't ask me what that means, but it was the right way."

I'm sure it would be along these lines: OSU fully intends to honor all the scholarships, it's just too bad that some kids don't qualify... unlike Alabama who promises kids a spot and then tells them to GTFO when a better player commits.

Rivals Top 10
USC
Bama
Fl State
Clempson
Tennessee
Auburn
Georgia
LSU
tOSU
aTm

Scout Top 10
USC
Bama
Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
UCLA
Notre Dame
Texas
Ohio State
aTm

ESPN Top 10
Alabama
FSU
USC
Clempson
Tennessee
Ohio State
Texas
Auburn
Georgia
LSU

Interesting variance on some of these.

cdyhybrid

Rivals Top 10
USC
Bama
Fl State
Clempson
Tennessee
Auburn
Georgia
LSU
tOSU
aTm

Scout Top 10
USC
Bama
Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
UCLA
Notre Dame
Texas
Ohio State
aTm

ESPN Top 10
Alabama
FSU
USC
Clempson
Tennessee
Ohio State
Texas
Auburn
Georgia
LSU

They all use different ranking metrics, which is why you kinda have to take all of these rankings with a grain of salt.

Krejlooc

Banned
Rivals Top 10
USC
Bama
Fl State
Clempson
Tennessee
Auburn
Georgia
LSU
tOSU
aTm

Scout Top 10
USC
Bama
Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
UCLA
Notre Dame
Texas
Ohio State
aTm

ESPN Top 10
Alabama
FSU
USC
Clempson
Tennessee
Ohio State
Texas
Auburn
Georgia
LSU

Rivals bases its rankings solely on top 20 recruits signed, and it's based on total player rankings. Meaning, for example, a class with 2 5-star recruits and no other ranked recruits would show up as better than a class with 0 5-star recruits but 10 4-star recruits.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Rivals bases its rankings solely on top 20 recruits signed, and it's based on total player rankings. Meaning, for example, a class with 2 5-star recruits and no other ranked recruits would show up as better than a class with 0 5-star recruits but 10 4-star recruits.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The absolute highest point total for a 5-star you can have in the Rivals system is 250 points, and the absolute lowest point total you can have for a 4-star is 105. Lowest 5-star this year is 201 points, highest 4-star this year is 186 points.

An average 5-star under their system is probably worth about 2 average 4-stars. The absolute two highest rated 5 stars (in other words, the #1 and #2 players in the country) would be worth 483 points combined, so you could offset that with just the 5 lowest rated 4-stars.

cdyhybrid

Well I'm pretty happy with this class, even though we missed on Warren.

Not a lot of signing day drama, which is fine.

We locked down almost all of the top in-state recruits, got our potential QB of the future (or maybe even the present), and some big-time playmakers on offense.

MS Shamepaint Recruiting Thread:

1) NSFW
2) Charlie Strong is riding a cookie cake
3) NSFW
4) The Boyd joke has to do with the fact that he would verbally commit to Texas and then post a bunch of pro Aggy stuff constantly. He drove to Austin to announce on live TV and then called the A&M coaches and asked for an LOI. After faxing his LOI in, he called texags and told them that he was delaying his announcement and A&M was still in play.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/sho...T-Recruiting-!festival-of-Awesome-Terribility

Do you post under the alias "stooge" on shaggy?

cashman

Banned
Well I'm pretty happy with this class, even though we missed on Warren.

Not a lot of signing day drama, which is fine.

We locked down almost all of the top in-state recruits, got our potential QB of the future (or maybe even the present), and some big-time playmakers on offense.

It literally came down to a coin flip.

andycapps

Rumor on the Dawg boards is he is going to Auburn. YMMV on this info.

Yeah.

Hate that signing 2 5-star CB's would drive off a 4-star, even when you look at the fact that there's only 1 returning "upper classmen" in the starting DB department (Cyrus Jones.) Playing time is there, if you fight for it.

Yeah, I'm hearing a Godwin rumor to Auburn..

In another piece of evidence of why message board rumors aren't to be believed, Godwin just signed his LOI with UGA and had his family have on shirts that said Still 100% UGA on the back. Big to keep him. If he doesn't start immediately, I'll be shocked. Lots of talent.

GaN5JL0.jpg

wcZoksy.jpg

You guys think it actually came down to that? That's pretty crazy, haha.

idk. on one hand he definitely flipped a coin on stage before he announced his decision.
On the other hand, the "University of Texas" slide on the overhead was displayed at almost the exact same time he said "Texas". So I think the decision was made before he was on stage, however, the coin flip could have been a reenactment of what he did the night before to come to his decision

idk

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It literally came down to a coin flip.

There is not any chance that the coin flip was the actual decider. It was staged.

He also said that he had eliminated Oklahoma State and Texas Tech from the discussion because they were "filled up" and "pretty much filled up," respectively, but Oklahoma State ended up with only 20 commits and Tech went into signing day with only 17. Zero chance that either school would have turned him down.

Limedust

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The absolute highest point total for a 5-star you can have in the Rivals system is 250 points, and the absolute lowest point total you can have for a 4-star is 105. Lowest 5-star this year is 201 points, highest 4-star this year is 186 points.

An average 5-star under their system is probably worth about 2 average 4-stars. The absolute two highest rated 5 stars (in other words, the #1 and #2 players in the country) would be worth 483 points combined, so you could offset that with just the 5 lowest rated 4-stars.

Whew, and here I thought the rating systems were made-up bullshit.

XD

The good old days:

These were strange and heady times for college football. Buoyed by the GI Bill, colleges began sweetening their incentive packages to returning veterans by promising them lucrative jobs and extra scholarship money. Certain schools began permitting “athletic scholarships,” transfer rules were loose and free, and the NCAA’s only role was an advisory one. At some places, the payroll for athletes was upward of $100,000; an All-American halfback named Shorty McWilliams transferred from West Point after the 1945 season because Mississippi State boosters reportedly offered him $15,000 in cash, a $300-a-month job, use of a car, and a job after graduation. At Maryland, a young coach fresh out of the service named Paul “Bear” Bryant loaded a group from his Navy pre-flight squad onto a bus, enrolled them with a “double scholarship” from the GI Bill and athletic grants, and won his first game a week later by a score of 60-6.

From Grantland.

RedAssedApe

Banned
soso gonna be a great name if he doesn't turn out well. haha

just soso being so so
is your rb any good? eh...he's soso

that asian girls tweet though. at least you know the kids doing some research ;)

andycapps

Rivals Top 10
USC
Bama
Fl State
Clempson
Tennessee
Auburn
Georgia
LSU
tOSU
aTm

Scout Top 10
USC
Bama
Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
UCLA
Notre Dame
Texas
Ohio State
aTm

ESPN Top 10
Alabama
FSU
USC
Clempson
Tennessee
Ohio State
Texas
Auburn
Georgia
LSU

What nobody takes into account yet is what a team's position needs are and how well their recruits addressed their needs. They do it purely on a score basis on the recruits.

I did see that according to some sites, Alabama has lost the recruiting national championship to USC. End of an era.

ag-my001

I'm happy with A&M's recruiting class. We got more depth on defense, which should pair well Chavis coaching them up. There should be a good QB battle in camp, and the O-line recruits look promising.

Last year was rebuilding. Fair enough. We've had three top fifteen (or higher) classes in a row, so now it's time to finish the season up there. No excuses.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In the end it seems most of the big schools ended up doing well. UGA got their last guy late in the day like Andy said. Even FL turned it around to a point.

The real big loser to no one's surprise was Michigan. This isn't a B10 indictment though as schools like OSU and PSU did well.

Clemson got a ton of people like always, but then they morph into Clempson. Schools like GT or the Miss schools did better because they played better last year.

All in all it was pretty uneventful in terms of surprises yesterday.

ryan-ts

The real big loser to no one's surprise was Michigan. This isn't a B10 indictment though as schools like OSU and PSU did well.

Eh? Given the circumstances I'm quite happy with Michigan's recruiting class. By the time signing day rolled around, Michigan got every kid they were suppose to and a couple surprises. Hell, if Michigan had room for 20 kids you would probably be looking at top 15-20 class.

What nobody takes into account yet is what a team's position needs are and how well their recruits addressed their needs. They do it purely on a score basis on the recruits.

I did see that according to some sites, Alabama has lost the recruiting national championship to USC. End of an era.
USC is back at full strength as far as scholarships right?

mre

In a similar vein, CeCe Jefferson's dad has refused to sign his LOI:
Jefferson's father, Leo Jefferson, confirmed that the fax has not yet been sent.

"No, sir," Jefferson said.

Asked by 247Sports if there was a reason the fax has not yet been sent, Jefferson replied simply "Yes, sir." Prompted for a reason, Jefferson replied "I can't tell you that."

El_Chino

Getting a little nervous with CeCe's LOI still not in yet. After Cowarts fiasco yesterday, I thought we were going to get him too.

Chris R

Oh no, the semifinal games this year are on a Thursday.

Well ain't that the end of the fucking world.

Just expand it to 8 and then you can get two on Thursday and two on Friday.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Now you have the usual idiots saying Auburn and Alabama have been reaching out to CeCe.

Recruiting Never Ends.

Also, about UF:

Robbie Andreu ‏@RobbieAndreu 23m23 minutes ago
According to a source, Chris Rumph has not accepted the defensive line coach job at Florida yet. He's been offered.

Coaching Carousel Never Ends.

KingGondo

Banned
This really makes my blood boil. Guy probably should have served time and yet there are legions of OU fans willing to say stuff like this (read the comments on the linked story if you want to lose all faith in humanity):

ESPN.com comments said:
Except, he wasn't all to blame in the situation. I'm no condoning hitting girls, but by the law she did spit on him and that is assault. We can argue bigger man and all that stuff back and forth however for her to cry wolf to the media playing victim and then to find out she had criminal charges pending puts her character into question. Whereas, Mr. Mixon, before that night, had never had any runins with the law whatsoever.

For the record:

Tulsa World said:
The police affidavit indicated Molitor was diagnosed with “a fractured jaw, fractured cheek bone, fractured sinus and fractured orbit which caused a hemotoma on the left eye” after being treated at Norman Regional Hospital. It listed Molitor as 5-foot-6 and 130 pounds and Mixon as 6-2 and 210 pounds.
Fuck this guy, and fuck OU for letting him stay there.

mre

This really makes my blood boil. Guy probably should have served time and yet there are legions of OU fans willing to say stuff like this (read the comments on the linked story if you want to lose all faith in humanity):

For the record:

Fuck this guy, and fuck OU for letting him stay there.
Sounds like textbook injuries resulting from the appropriate level of force necessary to defend one's self from being spat upon.

bachikarn

Getting a little nervous with CeCe's LOI still not in yet. After Cowarts fiasco yesterday, I thought we were going to get him too.

I'm not too worried. If you saw the video of his announcement and subsequent interview, he and most his family are all Gators.

His dad is weird tho. He has been a long time gator fan but still pushing his son away from UF. Suspicious...

I remember reading about some kid that wanted to go to USC a few years ago and his mom didn't want him to go. I forget how that all turned out.

KingGondo

Banned
The only way the Joe Mixon story has a satisfactory ending is if the tape gets released and Stoops is forced to resign for keeping him on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom