• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

The OSUn way.

We're rumored to lose either Mario Cristobal (OL) or Bill Napier (WR).

Sucks to do it to the kids, but Florida is a text-book case study on why you wait until the ink is not only dry but has been reproduced via the technological wonders of the facsimile machine before you announce shit like this.

It may be the smart thing to do for the coaches, but it's horrible for the students. NCAA really needs to introduce a rule that kids should be allowed to leave the program with no penalty within a period of time if their primary recruiter leaves.

That DJ Fluker article is great. Should be required reading for highschool prospects.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
As recently as 2007, Duke was losing $2 million annually on football: http://forums.dukebasketballreport....loses-2-million-yr-Duke-athletics-makes-money

Now, I know that was before the ACC's new shiny TV contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if their football team runs at a deficit. Most football programs do.

They've been profitable for most of Cut's tenure, attendance has actually trickled upward and they've down well with their bowl allotment tickets. The main thing that has kept Duke out of the red is not dropping major cash on facilities and stadium upgrades/ rebuilds that they can in no way sustain. Even the current renovation isn't going to add a bunch of new seats, there is no need for it to. Its more to improve and update the existing facility to modern standards. Talent and depth-wise Duke has improved a great bit, and there's not a team in the ACC they can't at least compete with, save maybe FSU or Clemson when they really have the pro level talent. Duke is going to have (most likely) 2 guys drafted this year, and a strong possibility for a 3rd (and a couple of sleepers that might get in). Thats huge form a program that hadn't had anyone drafted for 7+ years until 2012.

Duke's problems aren't just LOL private school, they suck, Its more that the football program was hamstrung for the better part of 3 decades minus the 3 years with OBC and 1 year with Goldsmith. The coach got paid shit, his assistants got paid shit, there was very little given to improve facilities. There were and still are many professors that resent the hell out of Coach K and the basketball program and did not want the football program to have any success to parallel that. The flipside was that there were several ACC schools that were pissed at Duke for taking football money but not doing anything to improve their play or the conference as a whole. They are lucky that they got their shit together before the conference re-alignment stuff really hit the fan. Nobody needs Duke to win a national championship or be top 10, but if they can be competitive, get to bowl games, not be seen as a liability or a joke, then they are doing what needs to be done. Cutcliffe will take Duke as far as he can, and I'm sure he believes he can win an ACC championship there. May take a little luck and timing, but its no longer out of the realm of possibility.

EDIT: Also the spring game time is Cutcliffe's call, he likes having an early spring session, particular for guys who may be nursing injuries and need some downtime. While there is a chance February 28th could be nice, there is a good chance we'll freeze our asses of watching it. I wonder where it is going to be.

Draxal

They've been profitable for most of Cut's tenure, attendance has actually trickled upward and they've down well with their bowl allotment tickets. The main thing that has kept Duke out of the red is not dropping major cash on facilities and stadium upgrades/ rebuilds that they can in no way sustain. Even the current renovation isn't going to add a bunch of new seats, there is no need for it to. Its more to improve and update the existing facility to modern standards. Talent and depth-wise Duke has improved a great bit, and there's not a team in the ACC they can't at least compete with, save maybe FSU or Clemson when they really have the pro level talent. Duke is going to have (most likely) 2 guys drafted this year, and a strong possibility for a 3rd (and a couple of sleepers that might get in). Thats huge form a program that hadn't had anyone drafted for 7+ years until 2012.

Duke's problems aren't just LOL private school, they suck, Its more that the football program was hamstrung for the better part of 3 decades minus the 3 years with OBC and 1 year with Goldsmith. The coach got paid shit, his assistants got paid shit, there was very little given to improve facilities. There were and still are many professors that resent the hell out of Coach K and the basketball program and did not want the football program to have any success to parallel that. The flipside was that there were several ACC schools that were pissed at Duke for taking football money but not doing anything to improve their play or the conference as a whole. They are lucky that they got their shit together before the conference re-alignment stuff really hit the fan. Nobody needs Duke to win a national championship or be top 10, but if they can be competitive, get to bowl games, not be seen as a liability or a joke, then they are doing what needs to be done. Cutcliffe will take Duke as far as he can, and I'm sure he believes he can win an ACC championship there. May take a little luck and timing, but its no longer out of the realm of possibility.

EDIT: Also the spring game time is Cutcliffe's call, he likes having an early spring session, particular for guys who may be nursing injuries and need some downtime. While there is a chance February 28th could be nice, there is a good chance we'll freeze our asses of watching it. I wonder where it is going to be.

I know that feel bro.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I wonder if mre has read the spanking thread on OT. That thread is a fucking cartoon. I know some people are for it, others are against it, but you sure as hell can't discuss it without a bunch of grand standing, finger pointing, and righteous indignation.

Meier

I'm glad he got significant playing time his Senior year. He looked great and I hope a good combine will get him a shot on an NFL team. Just a great talent hampered by injuries.

Yeah, he had a great future ahead of him. Very unlucky. I drove down to San Antonio for the Army AA that year to cheer on him, James Wilder Jr, Aaron Lynch and Nick O'Leary.. at least NOL and JWJ worked out okay. The Aaron Lynch one is still disappointing.

cdyhybrid

I wonder if mre has read the spanking thread on OT. That thread is a fucking cartoon. I know some people are for it, others are against it, but you sure as hell can't discuss it without a bunch of grand standing, finger pointing, and righteous indignation.

This goes for pretty much any serious discussion topic in OT.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I have no idea which thread this is.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Great article on recruiting written by former Alabama OT, DJ Fluker: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/marry-your-school/

The first scholarship offer I got was from Clemson. The offer letter was addressed to Danny Fluher. My first name really is Daniel, but I couldn’t give them a pass on F-L-U-H-E-R. As soon as I got that letter, I was like, “Fluher? Looks like I’m not going there.” And I tossed it. I didn’t want to go somewhere where they couldn’t even get my name right.

O7jaf21.gif

That quoted anecdote. I've seen that one before but for a different player, different sport. I honestly wonder if it's real or just a plagiarized quip (for one player or the other) that just sounds good.

Edit: Same story? You decide. PJ Hairston on being recruited by Duke (basketball):

"The thing about Duke was, every time they sent me a letter, they wouldn't spell my name right," Hairston said. "They would have 'T.J. Harrison' or something like that. And I'm like, 'OK. How can I go here? You can't even spell my name right.' It's only two letters and HAIR and STON. I'm trying to figure out how that's so hard."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...Hairston-Duke-couldn-8217-t-?urn=ncaab-wp2870

StoopKid

webers coach calls out urban meyer.

"I think Urban Meyer will have to step his game up; we're going to have to talk," Cass Tech football coach Thomas Wilcher told Detroit Sports 105.1 on Friday. "He has come to my school and got the No. 1 athlete two years in a row (DB Damon Webb Jr.).

"You cannot come over here, come up to the north and walk out of here with your pockets full and not give us respect.

"That's not gonna happen again, I can tell you that right now."

Wilcher told 105.1 he has talked to Weber several times, and that Weber is not happy at all.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...bers-coach-wilcher-blasts-meyer-osu/22985867/

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That quoted anecdote. I've seen that one before but for a different player, different sport. I honestly wonder if it's real or just a plaigarized quip (for one player or the other) that just sounds good.
I would imagine it happens to a few kids every year. In Fluker's situation you have a kid who's just a sophomore at the time, who was new to his school after being relocated due to Katrina. I don't doubt that, assuming it happened, it was a product of all those circumstances.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If that kept PJ out of Duke, that secretary needs a huge raise.

Yeah, totally dodged a bullet.

That said, Hairston's story (and I think I probably said the same thing in a basketball thread whenever it came up) is that it's somewhat unbelievable, considering that at the same time, Duke had perennial national POTY candidate Josh Hairston.

Silkworm

Well, I'm not crazy about there being continuing changes to the Gator football staff, but at least Rumph seems like a good addition as the DL coach with the departure of Williams. Sorry Charlie.

It's official, UF hires Rumph

And since everyone insists on the misspelling, Go Gata! :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Congrats pxleyes

I will now endeavor to forget that picture, as it doesn't match what I always thought you looked like.

lol, just noticed the tiny Gata logo on her clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom