• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Chino

I'm not too worried. If you saw the video of his announcement and subsequent interview, he and most his family are all Gators.

His dad is weird tho. He has been a long time gator fan but still pushing his son away from UF. Suspicious...
Apparently CeCe's dad told him that the UF staff was going on vacation when McElwain has stated that the staff was heading right back to work to prepare for spring.

Sketchy as fuck!

Meier

Wow, Glen St. Mary is a tiny ass town. I understand his Dad's viewpoint.. some of these kids really should try and get away from their area and try and "start over" away from the kids they've grown up with who might lead them down the wrong path. FSU has had a few kids over the years who probably would have been better off if they got away from the bad element they were tight with. There's no guarantee they won't have issues elsewhere, but it certainly can't hurt to try and get a fresh start.

Willie Downs (who it looks like will be eligible for the draft this year) had a real tough go of it after not making the grades to be able to get into FSU. He went away to CC but came back to Tally and fell off the wagon (frequently). This dude was an absolute all world talent and looked like top 10 potential when he dominated the US Army All-American game back in 2009. I hope he gets a shot at the pros. Story on him from prior to finally starting at Valdosta State as a 24-year old Junior in 2013: http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Last-Chance-231657301.html

El_Chino

Wow, Glen St. Mary is a tiny ass town. I understand his Dad's viewpoint.. some of these kids really should try and get away from their area and try and "start over" away from the kids they've grown up with who might lead them down the wrong path. FSU has had a few kids over the years who probably would have been better off if they got away from the bad element they were tight with. There's no guarantee they won't have issues elsewhere, but it certainly can't hurt to try and get a fresh start.

Willie Downs (who it looks like will be eligible for the draft this year) had a real tough go of it after not making the grades to be able to get into FSU. He went away to CC but came back to Tally and fell off the wagon (frequently). This dude was an absolute all world talent and looked like top 10 potential when he dominated the US Army All-American game back in 2009. I hope he gets a shot at the pros. Story on him from prior to finally starting at Valdosta State as a 24-year old Junior in 2013: http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Last-Chance-231657301.html
Every kid should go where he wants to go, regardless of what their family might want them to go. They're have been plenty of other instances where players have gone to schools even with their parents disapproval.

Meier

Every kid should go where he wants to go, regardless of what their family might want them to go. They're have been plenty of other instances where players have gone to schools even with their parents disapproval.

I dunno, I can't say I agree with you to be honest. It's rare that a parent doesn't have their child's best interest in mind. If his dad is a fan of UF and still thinks he'd be better off getting away from the area he grew up in, it's probably for a very good reason.

El_Chino

I dunno, I can't say I agree with you to be honest. It's rare that a parent doesn't have their child's best interest in mind. If his dad is a fan of UF and still thinks he'd be better off getting away from the area he grew up in, it's probably for a very good reason.
Did you see his commitment video? His whole family other than his dad were very happy to be part of the Gator nation.

I'll never forget the looks on Landon Collins families faces at the under armor game where he commited to Alabama. Parents should definitely be a factor in your decision making, but ultimately you have to do what's right for you as a newly legal adult.

Meier

Did you see his commitment video? His whole family other than his dad were very happy to be part of the Gator nation.
Of course they were happy. Family usually is at these ceremonies and in this case, there's an existing allegiance clearly. My point is exactly that -- if his dad can overlook his own support of the team to say that he thinks he'd be better off elsewhere, then he's probably thinking that for a very good reason. Sometimes there is an outside element that local kids are better off leaving behind. Maybe that is Dad's thinking.

I don't know anything about CeCe Jefferson, but FSU had another all world talent in CJ Mizell who went to Leon and had a tough life. He signed with FSU but got in trouble after a little while and got kicked out of school eventually which lead him to go to Wazzu. Unsurprisingly, he got kicked out of school there too and apparently ended up at Akron where it seems he has done okay. If he'd left behind those negative influences right after HS, maybe he wouldn't have been in purgatory for so many years. This happens a lot with kids from the Miami area as well.

Ace 8095

Matt Colburn is visiting us this weekend. He would be a great finish to our recruiting class, especially after the dawgs flipped our 2 star RB for some unknown reason.

Draxal

Matt Colburn is visiting us this weekend. He would be a great finish to our recruiting class, especially after the dawgs flipped our 2 star RB for some unknown reason.

Let me guess that 2* never camped? Recruiting services always give the extra bump to recruits who attend their camps.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'll never forget the looks on Landon Collins families faces at the under armor game where he commited to Alabama. Parents should definitely be a factor in your decision making, but ultimately you have to do what's right for you as a newly legal adult.
You mean his mom? Because the rest of his family was perfectly fine with the decision, and his mom wasn't upset because she didn't think Bama was a good fit for him, his mom was upset because she's an LSU fan and wanted him to to go LSU.

She is not a good example.

Draxal

You mean his mom? Because the rest of his family was perfectly fine with the decision, and his mom wasn't upset because she didn't think Bama was a good fit for him, his mom was upset because she's an LSU fan and wanted him to to go LSU.

And her other son became a Gata and then got kicked off the other team (think this happened like 2 weeks ago).

edit. Gerald Willis II now going to Miami.

:(
My bad

mre

And her other son became a Gata and then got kicked off the other team (think this happened like 2 weeks ago).

edit. Gerald Willis II now going to Miami.
Yeah, he's going to what has traditionally been one of the strictest environment for players down at the U. If he can't control himself under those disciplinarians, he's a lost cause.

It's all good. April Justin was completely crazy. If my memory is correct, she didn't even have any custodial rights over Landon.

I guess I just recalled the awkward must see tv moment and forgot or never fully understood the backstory. The awkward and tense announcement is all that stuck in my memory bank. I'm sure LSU and Bama fans both remember the details since it directly affected them

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thing I take away from it is:

Holy shit, time flies, Landon's already on his way to the NFL...

That Announcement video seems just like yesterday.

Landon was the start of the string of victories over LSU. His Announcement, 1/9/2011, and the 3 games since. Hope that streak continues.

Meier

Tony Steward's mama was not pleased with his Clemson decision. To say the least.

StewardSigns.jpg

But this was also a case of her being an FSU fan and being disappointed due to allegiance.

Lonestar

What a soft world we're living in when "trucking" someone means you got an extra yard or two but still got tackled by them.

Yeah, Looks like someone tackling another person who outweighs them by 30-40 pounds.

Lonestar

Nothing like having top 5 classes of talent being trained by a Maytag Man. Err, Michigan Man.

El_Chino

CeCe's dad has officially said they're holding out because there's too many coaching changes. The thing is he's committing to the SCHOOL not the the coach. The coaching always changes, I don't get it.

mre

CeCe's dad has officially said they're holding out because there's too many coaching changes. The thing is he's committing to the SCHOOL not the the coach. The coaching always changes, I don't get it.
I think that's individual to the person. Some people commit because of relationships rather than any overall feeling for the school.

Florida done fucked up by waiting until NSD to announce its D-Line coach was leaving. They fucked up even more by not waiting until all of the LOIs were in.

mre

Wow our rb coach Stan Dayton just took A job with the Bears. Kinda fucked a day after signing day.
We're rumored to lose either Mario Cristobal (OL) or Bill Napier (WR).

Sucks to do it to the kids, but Florida is a text-book case study on why you wait until the ink is not only dry but has been reproduced via the technological wonders of the facsimile machine before you announce shit like this.

ryan-ts

Wow our rb coach Stan Dayton just took A job with the Bears. Kinda fucked a day after signing day.

Greg Mattison did the same thing when was at Florida, shit's messed up. Feel terrible for these kids that committed because of a relationship with a coach who's on their way out.

Lonestar

Chris Fowler is leaving College Gameday, and Rece Davis is taking his place.

Finally, An Alabama Bias will exist!

andycapps

It's because Chris Carson flipped to Oklahoma State a few days ago and UGA wanted to take a RB in this class for depth. Neither one of them would likely play unless some real injuries happen. Chis Carson flipped because he knew he wouldn't play behind Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Keith Marshall, Brendan Douglas, and AJ Turman.

Tony Steward's mama was not pleased with his Clemson decision. To say the least.

But this was also a case of her being an FSU fan and being disappointed due to allegiance.

I'm glad he got significant playing time his Senior year. He looked great and I hope a good combine will get him a shot on an NFL team. Just a great talent hampered by injuries.

Lunar15

I think that's individual to the person. Some people commit because of relationships rather than any overall feeling for the school.

Florida done fucked up by waiting until NSD to announce its D-Line coach was leaving. They fucked up even more by not waiting until all of the LOIs were in.

Yeah, it was a poorly handled situation. Which I'm saying far too much about UF related events these days.

Program's a bit of a mess right now. McElwain is going to have to pull out some clutch coaching to right the ship and make it look respectable again in the eyes of recruits. Good thing we have a solid QB in the wings that will lead the team.

Oh wait.

andycapps

Yeah, it was a poorly handled situation. Which I'm saying far too much about UF related events these days.

Program's a bit of a mess right now. McElwain is going to have to pull out some clutch coaching to right the ship and make it look respectable again in the eyes of recruits. Good thing we have a solid QB in the wings that will lead the team.

Oh wait.

At least Driskel is gone, that's a good first step.

jjasper

Tennessee's PR for DeBord's hiring is funny. Here is a name you have never heard and isn't actually coaching right now and here are famous people who think he is smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom