• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 4 posts up!

uggggggggh is it football season yet

The sad part is I actually looked :(

I hear you on this being the doldrums. The most interesting CFB thing I read yesterday is how EWU is slightly butt hurt over their QB transferring to Oregon cause some coach didn't follow the unwritten rules or something. They followed all the written rules though.

andycapps

The sad part is I actually looked :(

I hear you on this being the doldrums. The most interesting CFB thing I read yesterday is how EWU is slightly butt hurt over their QB transferring to Oregon cause some coach didn't follow the unwritten rules or something. They followed all the written rules though.

Yeah I don't know of much news going on now either. I know LSU is trying to take our WR coach, Tony Ball. He interviewed there today, we'll see if UGA gives him a big bump to keep him or if he leaves for LSU. I think he's a good coach, but not irreplaceable. Would be a much bigger hit if someone took our RB coach.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Game over, Trogans.
:jnc. Had no idea he was with Ok State. Out of curiosity I decided to check on something...
2014 National Leaders
Sacks Allowed - All Games
Name G Sacks Sack Yards Sacks/G
113 Oklahoma State 13 40.0 235 3.08
Sounds about right.

Good ol' Bucketstep Bob. God speed, Trogans. God speed.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bucketstep Bob has been used enough times on the internet, to make up more than a few google search hits.

"run game coordinator"

I can't find a laughing .gif large enough for this.

impirius

Can any of you Gata tell me what to expect from Jon Hoke? It looks like he's calling the shots on defense this season... as "Co-Defensive Coordinator". I'd be afraid of a train wreck, but it can't get much worst than last season!
...Right?

Pimpwerx

So Kiper has Jameis ahead of Marcus on his mock draft board. This is before the combine, where I'm almost certain some small school QB will emerge as a frontrunner. That means Mariota might be tumbling out of the top10 by draft day. Anyone want to apologize for mocking me during the Noles-Ducks, when I argued that Winston was the clearly superior prospect, or should I just save the shaming for draft day? Right now, IMO the Jets are really his only chance to stay in the top10, because only that team has a front office dumb enough to roll those dice. Mariota has NFL bust written all over him. I'm doubling-down on my original claim. PEACE.

cdyhybrid

So Kiper has Jameis ahead of Marcus on his mock draft board. This is before the combine, where I'm almost certain some small school QB will emerge as a frontrunner. That means Mariota might be tumbling out of the top10 by draft day. Anyone want to apologize for mocking me during the Noles-Ducks, when I argued that Winston was the clearly superior prospect, or should I just save the shaming for draft day? Right now, IMO the Jets are really his only chance to stay in the top10, because only that team has a front office dumb enough to roll those dice. Mariota has NFL bust written all over him. I'm doubling-down on my original claim. PEACE.

I'm going to go ahead and mock you for taking mock drafts as anything other than click fodder for websites.

Meier

Jameis is very clearly the better option for effectively every team but Philly. He is far more suited to the NFL game. The only reason anyone would say otherwise is if they think he's going to screw up off the field again at some point.

If the Bucs don't take him, I'll be devastated. 😭

Pimpwerx

I'm going to go ahead and mock you for taking mock drafts as anything other than click fodder for websites.
Draft day is the real teller, but I'll take the Pepsi Challenge on that too. I got a lot of stick for saying Winston was better, but it'll prove true in the end. I'll also be right about a small school QB emerging at the combine, but that's just how it always goes. I don't see anything Mariota does that'll help him at the next level.

Jameis is very clearly the better option for effectively every team but Philly. He is far more suited to the NFL game. The only reason anyone would say otherwise is if they think he's going to screw up off the field again at some point.

If the Bucs don't take him, I'll be devastated. 😭

That's what I'm saying. But during that game I was told I was crazy. PEACE.

cdyhybrid

Draft day is the real teller, but I'll take the Pepsi Challenge on that too. I got a lot of stick for saying Winston was better, but it'll prove true in the end. I'll also be right about a small school QB emerging at the combine, but that's just how it always goes. I don't see anything Mariota does that'll help him at the next level.

I would say staying out of jail/the suspension list would help him at the next level.

I'm not a fan of either but I would much rather see Winston go to the Bucs and play for Lovie/Trestman than for Mariota to go there. Mariota's only chance for NFL success is to go play for an organization that isn't still using 1980s era QB criteria.

I mean look at the two QBs and offenses that we had in the fucking SUPER BOWL this year.

New England, the first NFL team to start borrowing ideas from the modern spread/hurry up/no huddle offenses of college football.

Seattle, a team using a non prototypical QB that succeeded by blending traditional play action/power run with the zone read and packaged plays of people like Gus Malzahn.

Both teams offenses rely upon concept heavily in vogue in college football right now, both team have been quite successful lately.

pimpwerx said:
I'll also be right about a small school QB emerging at the combine, but that's just how it always goes.

So who is your pick. Your choices are Chuckie Keeton, Shane Carden, Garrett Grayson and Cody Fajardo. If you want to stretch the definition of small school you could throw in Taylor Kelly or Sean Mannion but they both played for P5 teams.

Edit, actually I found a bigger list: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/QB

Blake Frohnapfel is a fun name. I'm rooting for him.

andycapps

Can any of you Gata tell me what to expect from Jon Hoke? It looks like he's calling the shots on defense this season... as "Co-Defensive Coordinator". I'd be afraid of a train wreck, but it can't get much worst than last season!
...Right?

Well, he's been in the NFL longer than he was with the Gatas, and I don't feel like looking at more stats than last year. He coached DB's with the Bears and last year they were 30th in the league in passing yards given up per game. In 2013, they were 15th in the league.

NFL is so much different than college though, my main question with someone like him is if he's going to be able to dumb down his scheme for college kids and if he can recruit.

I wonder if the Browns will have the chance to draft Jameis. But for real, Jameis has more talent for the NFL than Mariota. Mariota is also much less likely to end up getting arrested in offseason shenanigans.

KingGondo

Banned
:jnc. Had no idea he was with Ok State. Out of curiosity I decided to check on something...

Sounds about right.

Good ol' Bucketstep Bob. God speed, Trogans. God speed.
I'm torn on him. We sucked to start the year but we also had tons of OL injuries and a terrible QB. When Rudolph came in and we reshuffled the line things improved massively.

Not too torn up about him leaving (considering he was coaching high school football before we hired him) but hopefully we can find someone who'll stay for a few years and build some stability.

mre

I'm torn on him. We sucked to start the year but we also had tons of OL injuries and a terrible QB. When Rudolph came in and we reshuffled the line things improved massively.

Not too torn up about him leaving (considering he was coaching high school football before we hired him) but hopefully we can find someone who'll stay for a few years and build some stability.
This was Bucketstep Bob's Magnum Opus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHrXgftHqFU

2005 Iron Bowl. His line gave up 11 sacks.

...Right?

Spurrier loved that guy, but he was a huge dropoff from Stoops. I was not impressed with his bend defense.

Kind of OT, but is there a thread for college baseball this year? First Noles game is tomorrow afternoon and I am hyped. Spring evenings at Dick Howser with my father growing up are something, looking back, that treasure even more than the experiences on the other side of the road at Doak. :)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Kind of OT, but is there a thread for college baseball this year? First Noles game is tomorrow afternoon and I am hyped. Spring evenings at Dick Howser with my father growing up are something, looking back, that treasure even more than the experiences on the other side of the road at Doak. :)

There is usually a CWS thread that has like 4 active posters. Prior to that, not really.

Meier

I kinda wish I had gone to more games at Dick Howser when I had the chance. I am a huge baseball fan but just have never really got into the college game entirely... probably because FSU is always so disappointing when it counts. I had no friends interested in attending which didn't help.

Only been to 1 game here in Austin during my 4+ years of having the capability to go to every game for "free" due to my ticket package, lol.

I kinda wish I had gone to more games at Dick Howser when I had the chance. I am a huge baseball fan but just have never really got into the college game entirely... probably because FSU is always so disappointing when it counts. I had no friends interested in attending which didn't help.

FSU at the CWS over the decades has been tragic to the point of comedy. I've learned to enjoy the season for what it provides and not for what it could have been.

Miami and UF when they came to town were always amazing series of baseball. I always had a great time at those games in particular. That being said, I was always easy to please-I even enjoyed the sneakyshoots at the world's worst place to play college ball in that Civic Center.

andycapps

Only been to 1 game here in Austin during my 4+ years of having the capability to go to every game for "free" due to my ticket package, lol.

The problem with the college game, to me, is the metal bats. It's hard to take it seriously. It's also really dangerous due to how fast the ball comes off those bats.

The problem with the college game, to me, is the metal bats. It's hard to take it seriously. It's also really dangerous due to how fast the ball comes off those bats.

There was a big change a few years ago with the parameters of the metal bats allowed to address these concerns. The days of 24-20 games are well in the past. It actually had the side effect of dropping offensive performance in games so much that this year the NCAA is moving to flat-seamed baseballs to help the balls carry a bit better.

edit: Georgia and FSU play a series next week on SECN, btw.

Speaking about metal bats: About 4 years ago the NCAA forced CBB to reduce the power of the metal bats to protect the infielders from screaming line drives that could potentially break their face.

After 4 years of fewer homeruns, total offense, and dwindling CBB attendance , the NCAA knew they done fucked up. So this year, instead of changing the bats back to the way they were ( because that would be blatantly obvious that the NCAA isn't putting safety #1 ), they decided to change the core complexity of the baseball itself, to make it fly 10-20 yards further on average, which in theory will increase homeruns/offense/attendance.

Pimpwerx

So who is your pick. Your choices are Chuckie Keeton, Shane Carden, Garrett Grayson and Cody Fajardo. If you want to stretch the definition of small school you could throw in Taylor Kelly or Sean Mannion but they both played for P5 teams.

Edit, actually I found a bigger list: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/QB

Blake Frohnapfel is a fun name. I'm rooting for him.
Not sure, I never watch small schools. I just wait for the combine and then watch a few guys from there. I probably should read up more now that the new Dolphins GM likes to draft small schools. PEACE.

Just an aside, being a HUGE Utah St. fan because Logan is like the nicest place in the entire USA, Chuckie Keeton got a medical redshirt and will be playing another season with the Aggies this year.

He's really good. Had he not got injured this year vs. Wake USU would have probably only have two losses last year (the opener vs. Tennessee and the game on the road at the smurf turf, Boise St. was unstoppable this year).

mre

ALABAMA COLUMNIST COMPARES COLLEGE FOOTBALL RECRUIT TO… ROSA PARKS???

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/alabama-columnist-compares-college-football-recruit-rosa-parks.html

Wut
For the Alabama residents: it's just Kevin Scarbinsky. Feel free to ignore him.

As to the substantive part of the conversation, I think that ending the NLI would be a monumentally poor decision. I'm sorry that it's a pretty one-sided contract, but it's necessary to put a stop date on the recruiting bullshitery. Prior to signing that NLI the recruit literally holds all of the cards and all of the power. Signing the NLI is where the power dynamic flips. That's just how it is. Otherwise this crap would extend all the way to the fall to the last day to add a class for each respective institution.

If there is a feeling that reform is needed in the area, then increase the number of official visits a kid can take or something like that. Getting rid of the NLI would just make the sport even more of a mess than it already is.

There is usually a CWS thread that has like 4 active posters. Prior to that, not really.

Yeah if James Stevenson isn't on GAF leading the CWS charge anymore then there probably isn't too much interest in it.

I went to one college baseball game in college. We had a stadium on campus. The atmosphere was pretty cool, reminded me of the fun of minor league games. The crowd was basically all friends, family members and scouts. I even got a commemorative cup.

Just an aside, being a HUGE Utah St. fan because Logan is like the nicest place in the entire USA, Chuckie Keeton got a medical redshirt and will be playing another season with the Aggies this year.

He's really good. Had he not got injured this year vs. Wake USU would have probably only have two losses last year (the opener vs. Tennessee and the game on the road at the smurf turf, Boise St. was unstoppable this year).

Ah! I saw him as a prospect on a few sites, I didn't know he was coming back. I'm glad he's getting a chance to play again I think he's a fun college player.

Yeah if James Stevenson isn't on GAF leading the CWS charge anymore then there probably isn't too much interest in it.

I went to one college baseball game in college. We had a stadium on campus. The atmosphere was pretty cool, reminded me of the fun of minor league games. The crowd was basically all friends, family members and scouts. I even got a commemorative cup.

Yep. Its fun to watch all of the scouts ( sometimes 20-50 of them ) all collectively lift their radar guns as soon as the pitcher winds up.

andycapps

There was a big change a few years ago with the parameters of the metal bats allowed to address these concerns. The days of 24-20 games are well in the past. It actually had the side effect of dropping offensive performance in games so much that this year the NCAA is moving to flat-seamed baseballs to help the balls carry a bit better.

edit: Georgia and FSU play a series next week on SECN, btw.

I'd heard that they'd done that to the bats but didn't know it had had such a big impact on offensive performance. The "tink" sound of the bats still gets on my nerves.

I'll check out some of the UGA games this year because I'm interested to see the improvements to the stadium from this offseason and to see if the team is improved at all.

Draxal

All tOSU recruiting sites are saying that Rutgers will beat out tOSU for Jarrett Guarantano. This is a game changer for this program and something that the program needed to win (Rutgers legacy, and his high school coach is our wr coach's brother), if he commits.

mre

All tOSU recruiting sites are saying that Rutgers will beat out tOSU for Jarrett Guarantano. This is a game changer for this program and something that the program needed to win (Rutgers legacy, and his high school coach is our wr coach's brother), if he commits.
Penn State lock.

What's college baseball?

mre

That man is doing the Lord's work.

It's no coincidence why oversigning.com went defunct around the time when Meyer arrived. And this is some shady bullshit here:
Predictably, Meyer has now used 12 medical hardships in a little over three years at OSU, outpacing Saban’s first three years. If you’re comparing recent history, Bama has used 2 medical hardships since 2012, while OSU has used 12. The two most recent hardship recipients at OSU (Reeves and Tanner) both fully participated in the Sugar Bowl and Championship Game, cleared by their medical staff before the games and finishing both games uninjured. Three weeks later and right before signing day, the OSU medical staff would not clear the players to continue their careers. Conveniently, this allowed OSU to reach their oversigning limit of 88 scholarships to comply with their conference rule.

That man is doing the Lord's work.

It's no coincidence why oversigning.com went defunct around the time when Meyer arrived. And this is some shady bullshit here:

First part of that post has some huge gaps. He doesnt account for the players who were kicked off the team for legal issues or transferred at all nor those who have ecstasy issues. Not going to pretend I know what was going on with reeves but he had suffered a handful of concussions and last report was he was getting a medical redshirt for this upcoming season and will be able to play in 2016.

jjasper

Its terrible until your team does it then it is just good crutin'

Also see Tennessee fans aren't talking about Saban processing players anymore.

tokkun

First part of that post has some huge gaps. He doesnt account for the players who were kicked off the team for legal issues or transferred at all nor those who have ecstasy issues.

Seems like that type of attrition affects all schools and wouldn't really impact the comparison in class size between teams - unless you have reason to believe that Ohio State players are more likely to get kicked off for drugs or other criminal activity than players on other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom