• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
The excuses begin.

Seems like that type of attrition affects all schools and wouldn't really impact the comparison in class size between teams - unless you have reason to believe that Ohio State players are more likely to get kicked off for drugs or other criminal activity than players on other teams.

Not making an excuse just pointing our it doesnt account for it which i think is a fair thing to point out.

There was staff change when urban came and tons of guys transferred after that point as there is with any staff change. Not sure it would change numbers but I think its important thing to factor in.

Also weird to cherry pick the Reeves thing saying he was cleared for bama game but not after the season, ignoring the fact he suffered another concussion (believe 3rd of the season) in the championship game

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
First part of that post has some huge gaps. He doesnt account for the players who were kicked off the team for legal issues or transferred at all nor those who have ecstasy issues. Not going to pretend I know what was going on with reeves but he had suffered a handful of concussions and last report was he was getting a medical redshirt for this upcoming season and will be able to play in 2016.
Actually, the point is that the asshole OSU fan who started all of this shit with his oversigning.com website failed to account for all those very same issues. Normal attrition becomes players being forced out onto their asses.

Actually, the point is that the asshole OSU fan who started all of this shit with his oversigning.com website failed to account for all those very same issues. Normal attrition becomes players being forced out onto their asses.

Never looked at that site so had no clue, so shame on him as well. I've never been one to wag my finger at those "oversigning" unless its in some of the reported cases where kids were pressured to drop then thats BS. But if a kids hurt and wont be able to play again I dont see an issue with medical hardshipping them, clears a roster spot and the kid still gets college paid for, seems like a win-win to me.

andycapps

Roquan Smith is coming to UGA after all without signing an NLI. He seems to think he'll be free to go whenever he wants, though after he enrolls, he's as committed as he would be if he had signed it.

UGA WR coach Tony Ball is leaving for the same position at LSU. Assuming that Richt either didn't mind him leaving and didn't want to match, or Ball wanted a change of scenery. With how UGA has been raising coaches salaries lately, I can't imagine that if we wanted to keep him that we couldn't match or exceed what LSU offered.

mre

Never looked at that site so had no clue, so shame on him as well. I've never been one to wag my finger at those "oversigning" unless its in some of the reported cases where kids were pressured to drop then thats BS. But if a kids hurt and wont be able to play again I dont see an issue with medical hardshipping them, clears a roster spot and the kid still gets college paid for, seems like a win-win to me.
The issue is the naked allegation that Nick Saban and now Urban Meyer are medical hardshipping kids who are otherwise healthy just to clear out a roster spot.

Kacar

There's just no way to know for certain unless a player specifically comes out and says he was forced out.

I've accepted the fact that numerous aspects of recruiting/signing are shady.

andycapps

Who wants to take bets on there being a tOSU Circle of Trust now? ^

Roquan Smith wasn't too happy with UCLA denying that Ulfrich was taking the job with Atlanta right up until he did. He was also planning on majoring in business and they told him they had a good one, but he found out that business major was only for graduate students.

Draxal

Who wants to take bets on there being a tOSU Circle of Trust now? ^

Roquan Smith wasn't too happy with UCLA denying that Ulfrich was taking the job with Atlanta right up until he did. He was also planning on majoring in business and they told him they had a good one, but he found out that business major was only for graduate students.

Mora seems like the biggest scumbag.

mre

Rumor: Alabama and FSU are going to play each other in Atlanta to kick off the 2017 season

impirius

Spurrier loved that guy, but he was a huge dropoff from Stoops. I was not impressed with his bend defense.
Well, he's been in the NFL longer than he was with the Gatas, and I don't feel like looking at more stats than last year. He coached DB's with the Bears and last year they were 30th in the league in passing yards given up per game. In 2013, they were 15th in the league.
Thanks! I'll adjust my enthusiasm level for the defense from "meh" to "mehhhhh".

So, how about that college baseball?

andycapps

Jameis on that Jamarcus Russell diet?

qtZSKpx.jpg

mre

The waist looks crazy weird. Like it is being cinched down to half its size.
That's because his agent has done what Jimbo didn't have the guts to do: he literally put Winston on a leash to protect him (and the rest of the world) from himself.

andycapps

^What could go wrong with having a booster with tons of money in charge of recruiting at your school?

Really feel like Pruitt is guiding the hires at UGA these days, they've picked up Lance Taylor from Stanford to be the new WR coach. He was also a graduate assistant at Bama from 2007-2008, coincidentally the same time Pruitt was there as director of player development. The Bamafication of UGA football continues. Taylor also coached some with the Jets in some roles when Schottenheimer was there.

andycapps

Nevermind, looks like the Lance Taylor to UGA was reported prematurely by the coaching search websites. Reports are the UGA RB coach Bryan McClendon will move to WR coach and Thomas Brown (Wisconsin RB coach and former UGA RB and assistant strength coach) will come to UGA to coach RB's. This is a better move anyway, IMO.

Meier

Ha, that's good.

How long does he have until the combine? And is he participating?

I think he'll participate in some capacity but I'm just assuming. I saw a photo of him a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty clear he'd shed some weight already from during the season. Probably would have looked even heavier if this had been taken 2 months ago.

Nevermind, looks like the Lance Taylor to UGA was reported prematurely by the coaching search websites. Reports are the UGA RB coach Bryan McClendon will move to WR coach and Thomas Brown (Wisconsin RB coach and former UGA RB and assistant strength coach) will come to UGA to coach RB's. This is a better move anyway, IMO.

Antonio Williams is a lock for you guys now, Brown is a KILLER recruiter. Great hire for you guys.

What, you mean taking the measurables of 12yo little boys is going too far?

What could possibly go wrong?

Who was that USC recruit, the QB they offered when he was like 14 and then revoked when he didn't fill out right last year? I can't remember his name. Which is weird cause I usually remember this stuff.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Who was that USC recruit, the QB they offered when he was like 14 and then revoked when he didn't fill out right last year? I can't remember his name. Which is weird cause I usually remember this stuff.

David Sills. Ended up signing with West Virginia just this past signing day.

andycapps

I think he'll participate in some capacity but I'm just assuming. I saw a photo of him a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty clear he'd shed some weight already from during the season. Probably would have looked even heavier if this had been taken 2 months ago.

He did look like he had a gut during the season. Hey, if Stafford and Big Ben can make it in the NFL he'll be fine. It was just funny to see that picture out before the combine.

Antonio Williams is a lock for you guys now, Brown is a KILLER recruiter. Great hire for you guys.

Williams might be more of an option for us now that he'd have a chance to come in and compete with Keith Marshall graduating next year. He's definitely a great recruiter and the dude was a pretty good RB. He was pound for pound the strongest guy to that point to ever come through Georgia. Not sure if he still has that title.

He was 5'8", 190 and benched 470, power cleaned 347, and squatted 610. That's just insane.

What, you mean taking the measurables of 12yo little boys is going too far?

What could possibly go wrong?

A 5'2" pocket passer.

They probably took the measurables of his parents, because PP's need to be 6'1" at least. They must be anticipating a >10" growth spurt between now and college for him.

David Sills. Ended up signing with West Virginia just this past signing day.

Since the age of 9 he has trained with Clarkson about 40 days a year.

Its like someone didn't read the cautionary tale of Todd Marinovich.

In USC's defense the commitment at that age is non binding, and they switched coaches so changing recruiting targets was bound to happen. Reading about Sills HS playing experience I'd be hesitant to take him on as well, his HS was some super sketchy private school that barely played any games because of sanctions.

I hope you're being as sarcastic in your response as I was.

Do you know what a "bone age" is? A kid can get an xray of his/her hand at a young age, and it will accurately project their adult height. Its a great recruiting tool.

And yeah I saw an endocrinologist as a child and got a bone age when I was 12. It said I would grow up to be 5'7". I'm 26 years old and 5'7"

andycapps

Do you know what a "bone age" is? A kid can get an xray of his/her hand at a young age, and it will accurately project their adult height. Its a great recruiting tool.

And yeah I saw an endocrinologist as a child and got a bone age when I was 12. It said I would grow up to be 5'7". I'm 26 years old and 5'7"

They said I'd be 6'4". I'm 6'1". Guess it was all the coffee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom