• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

I saw Kenyon Drake put on Twitter today that he was staying on campus or at home for Spring Break, can't remember. Either way, smart kid.

Nick Chubb went back to his highschool to work out with his coach over Spring Break. Spent 3 hours working out in a sand pit yesterday and ran a 4.3 40 today.

https://vine.co/v/O9un9YmIh5Z

On becoming a mod.

No, I meant the differences in condolences and congratulations.

See, usually, in English, you say congratulations to a good thing, but you did a twist for a joke. You said "Condolences" which would indicate a bad thing. Therefore, I played dumb, and pretended to think you said congratulations.

I spent way too long on this post. I am going to post as is.

So now that it looks like Chip Kelly will bexoming back to CFB next season, where do you think he lands? I think if your texas you pull the plug on the Vharlie Strong core values experiment and get him.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just realized never posted the end of season poster:

201416-game-poster.jpg.pagespeed.ce.T506GxELPn.jpg

***Bonus Pic****

50822_h_0.jpg,qitok=K_djkXl4.pagespeed.ce.HpX7uUCcg0.jpg

If I was VT, I would make a play on the whole Brock Lesnar/Undertaker thing and make t shirts that say " The 1 in 14 -1"

andycapps

No, I meant the differences in condolences and congratulations.

See, usually, in English, you say congratulations to a good thing, but you did a twist for a joke. You said "Condolences" which would indicate a bad thing. Therefore, I played dumb, and pretended to think you said congratulations.

I spent way too long on this post. I am going to post as is.

It's because I'm so clever.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
So now that it looks like Chip Kelly will bexoming back to CFB next season, where do you think he lands? I think if your texas you pull the plug on the Vharlie Strong core values experiment and get him.

I'm assuming people are thinking he's going to be back to CFB next season because there's no way he doesn't get fired after this coming one? I mean, those trades were pretty nuts, but maybe he's got a plan.

Florida is down to 7 offensive linemen for spring practice and may not be able to hold a spring game due to this.

andycapps

I will believe that when Mark Richt actually wins the damn SEC Championship.

Or at least doesn't choke the East away to Mizzou of all teams.
Hey you're preaching to the choir about losing the division to Mizzou and not winning the conference. I'm seeing some good signs from the program but they don't mean anything until games start being played.

Some changes were needed. One was a penny pinching way of doing things by the athletic director. But they have ponied up tons of money for coaching salaries this offseason, they're building an indoor practice field, and we have a new strength and conditioning coach. The latter was probably needed to get some new blood and a new attitude in there. Lot more support staff positions created in the offseason too. Did I mention a great deal of the coaches have Bama ties? Because that's definitely an odd thing, but I guess one of them came in and wanted to work with his buddies so probably recommended them.

Also, NFL related but this is on the Eagles blog.

NJKUXsQh.jpg

Jhriad

Forgot to subscribe to this thread when the season ended so I haven't had the reminder to post. Doesn't help that I never visit the Community section to see what's on the first page (who does?). Just thought I'd stop by and and grumble about the pending approval of an early signing period without a change to allow earlier official visits.

andycapps

been out of the football loop for awhile, but heard something about chip. Explain what's going on in exactly 7 words.

Chip Kelly traded everyone and got nothing.

Thoughts are that he's building his team the way he wants it now that he has complete control over personnel. Some thought he'd try to trade up and draft Mariota, but he's given away a lot of his potential bargaining chips. I'm not sure what he's doing, but people are saying these are awful moves and he will be gone after this next season. I mean, if he's trying to build his program around Bradford or Sanchez, good luck.

tokkun

Chip is clearly trying to do some kind of Moneyball thing. I bet he has some spreadsheet explaining all of these trades.

cdyhybrid

Cyler is apparently taking a voluntary leave of absence and missing spring ball. Pete says it's not a disciplinary issue. Hope everything is alright for him.

This will make it more likely that KJCS or Jake Browning will win the starting job, though. Or maybe Jeff Lindquist takes the leap and wins it.

Also Phil Steele says we have the toughest schedule in CFB this coming season. Fantastic.

Edit: Seattle Times source says Cyler isn't planning to play for us at all in 2015, but is keeping his options open to possibly come back after that (I doubt it though).

Welp.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Last Week Tonight segment on NCAA athletes being "student" athletes.

Fun fact: the Mike Leach clip at about 9:02 was him cussing out the locker room after a win. He was upset that we only beat Baylor 20-13 and finished the regular season with 8 wins. About a month before that clip he chewed out the locker room after beating Kansas 42-21 and outwardly mocked the more religious players on the team. About a month after that clip he didn't have a job.

KingGondo

Banned

Fun fact: the Mike Leach clip at about 9:02 was him cussing out the locker room after a win. He was upset that we only beat Baylor 20-13 and finished the regular season with 8 wins. About a month before that clip he chewed out the locker room after beating Kansas 42-21 and outwardly mocked the more religious players on the team. About a month after that clip he didn't have a job.
Besides, I feel like Leach would be one of the first to say that players should be paid. He seems like a fair-minded guy. Has he ever commented on that?

P.S. Dabo comes off really bad in that. I'm sure he'd be so torn up over his players getting paid that he'd give up his $3 million+ salary out of principle. And the cherry on top is his comment about "enough entitlement in the world."

What an asshole.

Dangit! I came to post this. Its not really anything we don't already know though but maybe it'll spurn some more discussion.

Draxal

Dangit! I came to post this. Its not really anything we don't already know though but maybe it'll spurn some more discussion.

My big issues is that they use the NCAA tournament as an example of the NCAA fucking over the studen athlete, when the CFB playoffs/Bowl games make zero profit for the NCAA.

My big issues is that they use the NCAA tournament as an example of the NCAA fucking over the studen athlete, when the CFB playoffs/Bowl games make zero profit for the NCAA.

Well I think its mostly just timing, you could probably do a whole segment about the Bowls.

But who cares:

CAOPtTBWcAACF3G.jpg:large

#soybeanwind

Besides, I feel like Leach would be one of the first to say that players should be paid. He seems like a fair-minded guy. Has he ever commented on that?

P.S. Dabo comes off really bad in that. I'm sure he'd be so torn up over his players getting paid that he'd give up his $3 million+ salary out of principle. And the cherry on top is his comment about "enough entitlement in the world."

What an asshole.

I said this in the other thread, but Oliver used the Fox news approach and took the quote out of context for shock value. The quote is below and while not a ton better, it's better than what was shown. He's also supported a bill proposed in the state that would give student athletes a 2500 stipend a semester.

"We've got enough entitlement in this country as it is. To say these guys get nothing totally devalues an education. It just blows my mind people don't even want to quantify an education. I didn't get into coaching to make money - coaches weren't making any money when I got into coaching. It's what I wanted to do with my life, and I was able to do it because of my education. That's what changed my life. That's what changes everybody's life.

"I am 1,000 percent in favor of a stipend or modernizing the scholarships, because they haven't changed. Costs more to go to a movie, costs more to buy gas, costs more to wash your clothes than it did when I was in school. There needs to be an adjustment there. But as far as professionalizing college athletics, college athletics would go away

aggies are creepy

Braxton would have been gone by now if he was leaving. He's staying for his senior year and here's my "hot take!" He won't be a starting qb

He's already working out at WR (his NFL position anyway) so that's the end of that battle.

12 gauge v/ Barrett? Now that's a storyline.

The Ohio State QBs should be #2. No matter whom is in the game, the buckeyes can run an incredibly effective offense. I guess the argument against them would be that they're effective because of Meyer's system, but the article makes no mention of that.

IDK Urbz play calling and system changed once Cardale started, relied much less on read option and more down field throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom