• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacar

I think overall the 2002 title will feel more special to me. Even though I was just 10 at the time it was still crazy cause I got to be with my family for it. I could feel the excitement in the air, particularly with my dad, I had my first ever sip of alcohol, everybody was just so happy.

On Monday I had to watch it with 4 other SEC fans and OSU haters. While yelling at them was fun after the game they just all went to sleep so I just yelled at them through the walls. Also the end of the 4th was kinda fuzzy cause I had drank so much. Looking back now I have tuesdays off class this semester and should of taken the 3 hour drive back.

Funny enough I got accepted to OSU in the summer of 2012 and could of been there for the 24 game win streak, 38-3, 3 straight Michigan wins, and a national title. Although it would of smashed my families funds.

I think overall the 2002 title will feel more special to me. Even though I was just 10 at the time it was still crazy cause I got to be with my family for it. I could feel the excitement in the air, particularly with my dad, I had my first ever sip of alcohol, everybody was just so happy.

2014 blows 2002 out of the water for me, despite the '02 season being one of my favorite memories from my adolescence.

The Oregon championship game certainly wasn't as memorable as the Miami game, but the overall arc of the season was just so remarkable to witness. Lots of close calls in '02 that made for plenty of drama, but nothing matches the Brax/JT/Cardale storyline.

2014 blows 2002 out of the water for me, despite the '02 season being one of my favorite memories from my adolescence.

The Oregon championship game certainly wasn't as memorable as the Miami game, but the overall arc of the season was just so remarkable to witness. Lots of close calls in '02 that made for plenty of drama, but nothing matches the Brax/JT/Cardale storyline.

Overall 2014 will be a more memorable season but I think 2002 had more memorable moments compared to 2014. 2002 had the Holy Buckeye play, the pick at the end vs michigan, the PI/the #13 strip/ and the last play vs Miami. Gambles pick 6 to take the lead vs Penn St.

Kacar

The 3rd string winning it all just makes this crazy. We were stuck with Joe Fucking Bauserman 4 years ago.

The 2015 schedule looks relatively easy but damn @ the 2016 one. @Wiscy @PSU @MSU @Oklahoma.

Overall 2014 will be a more memorable season but I think 2002 had more memorable moments compared to 2014. 2002 had the Holy Buckeye play, the pick at the end vs michigan, the PI/the #13 strip/ and the last play vs Miami. Gambles pick 6 to take the lead vs Penn St.

I'd say that being the very first playoff champions also makes this season extra special to me.

MIMIC

Banned

2014 > 2002 for me because I didn't give a shit about college football back then =p

Draxal

So according to Rutgers players Elliot >>> Coleman, Gordon, Abdullah.

Can't believe we played against all four this year.

Limedust

Bama-GAF:

I see that Kevin Steele was hired away as the LSU DC. Personally, I'm never really happy nor sad when he leaves/returns, as he never seems to stay in one place for more than a couple of years. My guess is that he is a stop-gap hire to train up some other LSU assistant for next year or the year after.

Lance Thompson was told to GTFO (Aaron Suttles supposedly has multiple sources that confirm this), so he, again, went to one of our biggest rivals in Auburn for the same position.

I'm hoping we hire a good LB coach, and finally bring abord a dedicated coach for the DB's.

cdyhybrid

KJCS is a guy we redshirted last season, he was committed to Vanderbilt (his older brother played there, I believe) but we flipped him. 4* guy.

Jake Browning will be a true freshman, but he'll be enrolling in time for spring ball. Dude set all kinds of passing records in California this past season. 4* guy.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Bama-GAF:

I see that Kevin Steele was hired away as the LSU DC. Personally, I'm never really happy nor sad when he leaves/returns, as he never seems to stay in one place for more than a couple of years. My guess is that he is a stop-gap hire to train up some other LSU assistant for next year or the year after.

Lance Thompson was told to GTFO (Aaron Suttles supposedly has multiple sources that confirm this), so he, again, went to one of our biggest rivals in Auburn for the same position.

I'm hoping we hire a good LB coach, and finally bring abord a dedicated coach for the DB's.
The current thought seems to be to have Kirby Smart move to coach the ILBs, while having Tosh Lupoi become an "on-the-field" coach and coach the OLBs. This leaves DBs open and we're looking to bring somebody in from the outside to coach there.

And, as per usual this time of year, coaches come and coaches go, but Bobby fucking Williams still remains employed.

Kacar

Fun fact, the B1G honored 5 running backs as All Americanss (1st/2nd team and honorable mentions)

Guess who wasnt 1 of the 5?
The thing about Zeke is thus made sense at the time. His stats and how he looked weren't nearly comparable.

He also had his 3 best games by far when Cardale was qb so that might be something.

mre

Fun fact, the B1G honored 5 running backs as All Americanss (1st/2nd team and honorable mentions)

Guess who wasnt 1 of the 5?
He had 1,182 yards prior the B1G championship game and only 10 TDs. What, do you want the people who pick these things to be able to see into the future and know he'd rush for ~700 yards and 8 TDs in his next three games?

andycapps

KJCS is a guy we redshirted last season, he was committed to Vanderbilt (his older brother played there, I believe) but we flipped him. 4* guy.

Jake Browning will be a true freshman, but he'll be enrolling in time for spring ball. Dude set all kinds of passing records in California this past season. 4* guy.

I thought KJCS had a familiar sounding last name.

The current thought seems to be to have Kirby Smart move to coach the ILBs, while having Tosh Lupoi become an "on-the-field" coach and coach the OLBs. This leaves DBs open and we're looking to bring somebody in from the outside to coach there.

And, as per usual this time of year, coaches come and coaches go, but Bobby fucking Williams still remains employed.

Yeah it seems like the Bama coaching ranks are being raided again. We got one of your strength coaches to be our head strength coach. Also got Rob Sale as OL coach, who played OL at LSU when Saban was there, and then was a strength and conditioning coach and offensive analyst from 2007-2011 at Bama. They're joining Kevin Sherrer (time at Bama) and Pruitt (time at Bama).

The above should make parts of our fanbase happy, but not truly happy while Richt is still there.

mre

I thought KJCS had a familiar sounding last name.

Yeah it seems like the Bama coaching ranks are being raided again. We got one of your strength coaches to be our head strength coach. Also got Rob Sale as OL coach, who played OL at LSU when Saban was there, and then was a strength and conditioning coach and offensive analyst from 2007-2011 at Bama. They're joining Kevin Sherrer (time at Bama) and Pruitt (time at Bama).

The above should make parts of our fanbase happy, but not truly happy while Richt is still there.
You guys should really consider poaching Bobby Williams. That would be a veritable coup for Richt to really hold over Saban.

All aboard the McEltrain.

Will be refreshing to have a good coaching again.

Well, I said the same thing after we picked up Muschamp. Fool me once...we can't get fooled again.

Also, Luther Campbell apparently said UF (via Randy Shannon) will get Jordan Scarlett from Aquinas. Weird tweet, but with approximately 0 commits, I'll take it.

Draxal

Holy shit, dude. Why are you posting that here?! Make a new thread for this breaking news!

When are we going to Columbus with our treekiller solution? I'm game.

edit. I was actually posing how silly college coaching is, win the national championship on Monday night, out of state recruiting Thursday afternoon.

mre

Ha, right. Surprised you're not recommending we take Lane Kiffin off your hands yet.
Let's see how he does without Amari Cooper.
When are we going to Columbus with our treekiller solution? I'm game.

edit. I was actually posing how silly college coaching is, win the national championship on Monday night, out of state recruiting Thursday afternoon.
:p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Probably wasn't a good idea for Cardale to on the record today as saying "I'm not ready for the level of play in the NFL yet", especially since he hasn't made a decision regarding declaring for the draft yet. That quote may haunt him if he declares next month, but then again he has recovered from a poor choice quote before. ( You know the one )

I'm pretty sure he has until Thursday to declare anyway. Unless the date to declare isn't January 15th anymore.

Correct, the deadline to declare for the 2015 NFL Draft is January 15.

WE'RE STILL THE REAL OSU FUCK THE HATERS.

Maurice Clarett U can have the acronym when they take it from us on the field.

Looks like they've already done that twice.

Shocker of the year:

‏@SportsCenter 46m46 minutes ago
BREAKING: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota will announce that he'll forgo senior season & enter NFL draft.

mre

He's losing all of the offense except your left tackle and center. Granted, I'm sure the second string played a lot this year, but losing Yeldon, Sims, and Cooper will leave a dent.
Honestly, Cooper and Fowler are the only players for whom we don't really have a replacement for.

*Losing Arie K. at LG is going to hurt. (never thought I'd say this going into the season)
*Losing Leon Brown at RG is addition by subtraction.
*Losing Austin Shepherd at RT is... well, Shepherd was experienced I suppose?
*Losing Jalston Fowler at FB will be difficult to replace. Other than Cooper, probably our biggest loss, in my opinion.
*Losing Cooper at WR: ouch.
*Losing Sims at QB... I'm not sure how this will affect us, to be honest. Sims was very effective for us and boy that guy can spin a pretty deep ball, but I'm not sure how irreplaceable he really is. He didn't come in with a lot of experience and still performed well, so I'm sure whoever we have step in will perform satisfactorily.
*Losing Christion Jones at WR/KR will also be addition by subtraction after how he played this year. He was a good blocker, I guess?
*Losing DeAndrew White at WR will hurt. He was a solid #2 option, but I think Ardarius Stewart is as good if not better than White. Plenty of depth.
*Losing Vogler at TE will be a nullity. Okay blocker.
*Losing Yeldon will hurt, but it's not as if we really had him for the second half of the season anyway. Plenty of depth here, too. He hurt his leg at some point either prior to the LSU game or in the LSU game when he fumbled the ball on our 4 yard line, and he hasn't been the same since.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I blocked the 2004 Alamo Bowl from my memory. We got our asses kicked.

The popular theory among a certain segment of OSU fandom is that Les Miles had already accepted the LSU job and mentally checked out, which is why we were so ill-prepared.

The truth is that they were just a lot better than we were.

I just remembered that that is the reason that many people gave about why Ohio State annihilated Wisconsin in the B1G Championship Game. Guess we can pretty well write that excuse off with the benefit of hindsight.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bama-GAF:

Late, but I believe that Smart was the LB coach up until this season, where he moved to DB coach (from his DC position). So, perhaps he moves back to LB's and they fill the DB coach spot.

cdyhybrid

So Jake Browning won MaxPreps California D1 POTY. An excerpt from the announcement:

In between that first and last game, Browning put up numbers that will be hard to replicate. He holds state records in the following categories:

- Completions in a Career (1,191)
- Attempts in a Career (1,708)
- Yards in a Career (16,775)
- Touchdown Passes in a Career (229)
- Completions in a Season (440)
- Attempts in a Season (605)
- Yards in a Season (5,790)
- Touchdown Passes in a Season (91)
- Touchdown Passes in a Game (10)

He also holds national records for career touchdown passes, single-season touchdown passes and single-season completions.

Edit: Dak Prescott staying at MSUs.

KingGondo

Banned
Mike Gundy named Mason Rudolph our starter for 2015.

It was expected he would start, but Gundy has been ridiculously opaque about naming a starting QB since Weeden left.

He hinted at Walsh being the backup too, but some have speculated that he'll move to LB or safety.

Kacar

I blocked the 2004 Alamo Bowl from my memory. We got our asses kicked.

The popular theory among a certain segment of OSU fandom is that Les Miles had already accepted the LSU job and mentally checked out, which is why we were so ill-prepared.

The truth is that they were just a lot better than we were.
Yea that was the start of the Troy Smith, Ginn, and Pittman hype train. Not the best time to be unfocused. I barely remember anything from that game though.

Chris R

Watching as much CFB as I do almost helped in winning pub trivia last night

The question was "What's the name of the guy in the Dr. Pepper College Football Playoff commercials" and I got it right. Still didn't win though.

How long until CFB starts again :(

edit: Oh, forgot the answer in case you want to play along ->
Larry Culpepper

Mike Gundy named Mason Rudolph our starter for 2015.

It was expected he would start, but Gundy has been ridiculously opaque about naming a starting QB since Weeden left.

He hinted at Walsh being the backup too, but some have speculated that he'll move to LB or safety.

Hey! We won that game with a backup qb and ted Ginn at qb!

Balphon

Shocker of the year:

BREAKING: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota will announce that he'll forgo senior season & enter NFL draft.

I was sure he would forego millions of dollars to return to college.

Best player we've ever had. Sad times. Hope against hope he ends up somewhere decent.

Shocker of the year:

I wonder if Buckner, Marshall or Addison will declare. So far only Mariota and Armstead have declared out of Oregon's juniors. They're losing 18 seniors including 2 starting DBs and 2 starting OL. I think they also lose their second best line backer in that group.

Balphon

I wonder if Buckner, Marshall or Addison will declare. So far only Mariota and Armstead have declared out of Oregon's juniors. They're losing 18 seniors including 2 starting DBs and 2 starting OL. I think they also lose their second best line backer in that group.

Buckner is returning and I would be surprised if Addison left after losing an entire season to injury.

Marshall might declare, though.

Larry was the N-napa Know How of this season.

Pretty sure that was Fall Out Boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom