• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limedust

The current thought seems to be to have Kirby Smart move to coach the ILBs, while having Tosh Lupoi become an "on-the-field" coach and coach the OLBs. This leaves DBs open and we're looking to bring somebody in from the outside to coach there.

And, as per usual this time of year, coaches come and coaches go, but Bobby fucking Williams still remains employed.

Rumor that Napier was also encouraged to look around, but not from anyone trustworthy.

Bobby Williams... yeah.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Rumor that Napier was also encouraged to look around, but not from anyone trustworthy.

Bobby Williams... yeah.

Napier is WR, right? That's hard to think about, whether he did a good job or not.

Cooper was going to be good no matter what. Was great as soon as he hit the field as a Freshman. White was always decent, just got hurt. C. Jones regressed, and no one else got many shots.

Bobby "aaron "fucking " boone" Williams....

Schmitty

Shocker of the year:

‏@SportsCenter 46m46 minutes ago
BREAKING: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota will announce that he'll forgo senior season & enter NFL draft.

I don't foresee him being a big hit in the NFL. The running/spread QBs don't seem to translate well.

Limedust

Napier is WR, right? That's hard to think about, whether he did a good job or not.

Cooper was going to be good no matter what. Was great as soon as he hit the field as a Freshman. White was always decent, just got hurt. C. Jones regressed, and no one else got many shots.

Agreed. I can't really say the WR's underperformed, but anyone not named Cooper seemed to have problems getting separation consistently... not necessarily a coaching issue.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Agreed. I can't really say the WR's underperformed, but anyone not named Cooper seemed to have problems getting separation consistently... not necessarily a coaching issue.
Ardarius Stewart looked real good when White was injured. Chris Black looked good when he got on the field.

Christion Jones is just a mystery. No clue what the fuck happened to that kid. He was awful, just awful at everything but blocking.

HeySeuss

To my Buckeye brethren, the big ten network will be replaying the title game over the next 8 days and here's the presser:

"BTN will re-air Ohio State’s National Championship win over Oregon eight times throughout the next week. A two-hour replay will air Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday through Tuesday, BTN will re-air the game and add in-game highlights and radio sound bites, as well as interview and press conference excerpts."

Here is the full schedule (all times Eastern):

* Wednesday (1/14/2015): 2:30 p.m.

* Thursday (1/15/15): 11:30 p.m.

* Friday (1/16/15): 9 a.m.

* Saturday (1/17/15): 9:30 a.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Sunday (1/18/15): 5:30 p.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Monday (1/19/15): 3:30 a.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Monday (1/19/15) 9 p.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Tuesday (1/20/15): 11:30 p.m. (Enhanced Replay)

To my Buckeye brethren, the big ten network will be replaying the title game over the next 8 days and here's the presser:

"BTN will re-air Ohio State’s National Championship win over Oregon eight times throughout the next week. A two-hour replay will air Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday through Tuesday, BTN will re-air the game and add in-game highlights and radio sound bites, as well as interview and press conference excerpts."

Here is the full schedule (all times Eastern):

* Wednesday (1/14/2015): 2:30 p.m.

* Thursday (1/15/15): 11:30 p.m.

* Friday (1/16/15): 9 a.m.

* Saturday (1/17/15): 9:30 a.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Sunday (1/18/15): 5:30 p.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Monday (1/19/15): 3:30 a.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Monday (1/19/15) 9 p.m. (Enhanced Replay)

* Tuesday (1/20/15): 11:30 p.m. (Enhanced Replay)

I'll set my DVR

Is this some elaborate troll? Are you all in on it? Are you telling me Ohio State won the national championship?

No seriously, it was Alabama, right? LSU?

South Florida?

Kacar

I mean or you could watch it on youtube at any time.

I wish stuff like the film room and the other broadcasts were up there also.

Edit: oh nice, looks like the film room is on youtube, was added 6 hours ago.

Slurmer

Banned
The popular theory among a certain segment of OSU fandom is that Les Miles had already accepted the LSU job and mentally checked out, which is why we were so ill-prepared.

The truth is that they were just a lot better than we were.

That's not as bad as the TCU fans that think Wisconsin intentionally got blown out to keep them out of the playoff.

andycapps

Honestly, Cooper and Fowler are the only players for whom we don't really have a replacement for.

*Losing Arie K. at LG is going to hurt. (never thought I'd say this going into the season)
*Losing Leon Brown at RG is addition by subtraction.
*Losing Austin Shepherd at RT is... well, Shepherd was experienced I suppose?
*Losing Jalston Fowler at FB will be difficult to replace. Other than Cooper, probably our biggest loss, in my opinion.
*Losing Cooper at WR: ouch.
*Losing Sims at QB... I'm not sure how this will affect us, to be honest. Sims was very effective for us and boy that guy can spin a pretty deep ball, but I'm not sure how irreplaceable he really is. He didn't come in with a lot of experience and still performed well, so I'm sure whoever we have step in will perform satisfactorily.
*Losing Christion Jones at WR/KR will also be addition by subtraction after how he played this year. He was a good blocker, I guess?
*Losing DeAndrew White at WR will hurt. He was a solid #2 option, but I think Ardarius Stewart is as good if not better than White. Plenty of depth.
*Losing Vogler at TE will be a nullity. Okay blocker.
*Losing Yeldon will hurt, but it's not as if we really had him for the second half of the season anyway. Plenty of depth here, too. He hurt his leg at some point either prior to the LSU game or in the LSU game when he fumbled the ball on our 4 yard line, and he hasn't been the same since.

Yeldon fumbling the ball? Why I've never heard of such a thing.

Bama should be fine because they recruit well, but obviously most of the defense will be filled with unknowns. You'd think that they'll be okay, but that Wisconsin game to start out the year looks pretty brutal right now given the unknowns.

Patryn

Drew Sharp's final AP ballot does not disappoint.

19. LSU
20. Auburn
23. Wisconsin (beat Auburn in Outback Bowl)

LOL.

I fail to understand why the Detroit Free Press continues to employ him. The only thing I can figure is that people read his stuff to read the new ridiculous shit he says.

Although, as an MSU fan, it's been amusing during these great years reading his mental gymnastics as he tries to explain why they're still one of the worst teams in the nature, the success is all smoke and mirrors, and if they actually played a good team they'd get their teeth kicked in. Except when they do and they win, it's a fluke.

mre

Yeldon fumbling the ball? Why I've never heard of such a thing.

Bama should be fine because they recruit well, but obviously most of the defense will be filled with unknowns. You'd think that they'll be okay, but that Wisconsin game to start out the year looks pretty brutal right now given the unknowns.
I wasn't knocking Yeldon for that. His ball security was much improved this year. When he fumbled against LSU it happened when an LSU player grabbed and twisted his right leg, the same leg which was still injured against OSU. The LSU was just the first time I recalled him being injured this year.

Joel Stave will be a senior at Wisconsin next year. I'm not worried about that game unless they get a capable QB between now and then.

andycapps

I wasn't knocking Yeldon for that. His ball security was much improved this year. When he fumbled against LSU it happened when an LSU player grabbed and twisted his right leg, the same leg which was still injured against OSU. The LSU was just the first time I recalled him being injured this year.

Joel Stave will be a senior at Wisconsin next year. I'm not worried about that game unless they get a capable QB between now and then.

Right, I didn't hear as much about Yeldon's fumbles this year, but he has that reputation as being fumble and injury prone.

Yeah, Stave sucks and they've lost Gordon obviously. Looks like Corey Clement will be their #1 RB, and he almost hit 1000 yards this year while backing up Gordon.

mre

Right, I didn't hear as much about Yeldon's fumbles this year, but he has that reputation as being fumble and injury prone.

Yeah, Stave sucks and they've lost Gordon obviously. Looks like Corey Clement will be their #1 RB, and he almost hit 1000 yards this year while backing up Gordon.
Stave passed for 121 yards against Auburn. Auburn. I may eat my words, but if they don't have a QB who can throw for 225 yards and 2 tds, they're not beating us even if Hershel Walker is their RB.

andycapps

Stave passed for 121 yards against Auburn. Auburn. I may eat my words, but if they don't have a QB who can throw for 225 yards and 2 tds, they're not beating us even if Hershel Walker is their RB.

I don't know, we beat Notre Dame in 1981 with only 7 passing yards when Herschel was rushing.

Different era though. Will be hard to replace Melvin Gordon, but I'm sure this other guy is good. Put up good stats not playing that much this year.

I don't know, we beat Notre Dame in 1981 with only 7 passing yards when Herschel was rushing.

Different era though. Will be hard to replace Melvin Gordon, but I'm sure this other guy is good. Put up good stats not playing that much this year.

Every year its Wiscy is going to have a hard time replacing "X" running back and they somehow do it. It's just theyre thing, they always have an amazing RB.

inm8num2

I fail to understand why the Detroit Free Press continues to employ him. The only thing I can figure is that people read his stuff to read the new ridiculous shit he says.

Although, as an MSU fan, it's been amusing during these great years reading his mental gymnastics as he tries to explain why they're still one of the worst teams in the nature, the success is all smoke and mirrors, and if they actually played a good team they'd get their teeth kicked in. Except when they do and they win, it's a fluke.

He's a troll whose job is to say and write things to upset people and garner more clicks for his articles. I think MSU and UM fans had gotten used to it and didn't care anymore, but what I don't get is why the guy has an AP vote. While Sharp has the right to rank teams however he pleases, he doesn't seem to take his ballot seriously and just uses it to further troll people. I don't think the guy believes that LSU and Auburn are better than Wisconsin - he just wants to stand out and create attention for himself. I guess I'm responsible for giving it to him. ;)

andycapps

Today is the last day to declare for the draft, so we may be closer to an answer who OSU qb is next year

You mean we'll be closer to seeing if Cardale Jones goes pro after the few games he played this year? If he does, he's dumber than everyone thinks he is after this school comment.

Patryn

I had to look up who Drew Sharp was. Am I the only one?

Understandable you wouldn't know who he was if you didn't grow up in Michigan.

As was said, he's basically a professional troll who writes for the Detroit sports audience and every column basically boils down to explaining how [INSERT LOCAL MICHIGAN TEAM HERE] is terrible and will never improve, implies that you're an idiot for supporting them, or rationalizes how recent success means absolutely nothing and is a total fluke.

Hence, a recent column that says that Ohio State's National Championship simply means that OSU is special, the Big Ten is still easily the worst conference in college football, and MSU and UM have literally zero chance to ever catch up or even come close to the greatness of Urban Meyer, because he brings that SEC heritage.

andycapps

I like to think of myself as a "loveable asshole," but yes!

I think of myself the same way.

Understandable you wouldn't know who he was if you didn't grow up in Michigan.

As was said, he's basically a professional troll who writes for the Detroit sports audience and every column basically boils down to explaining how [INSERT LOCAL MICHIGAN TEAM HERE] is terrible and will never improve, implies that you're an idiot for supporting them, or rationalizes how recent success means absolutely nothing and is a total fluke.

Hence, a recent column that says that Ohio State's National Championship simply means that OSU is special, the Big Ten is still easily the worst conference in college football, and MSU and UM have literally zero chance to ever catch up or even come close to the greatness of Urban Meyer, because he brings that SEC heritage.

He sounds like some of the writers from the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

OSU QB Cardale Jones will announce his decision at 2 pm from the Ginn Academy in Cleveland.

The fact hes announcing in Cleveland makes me think hes leaving for sure.

Kacar

Don't know which I would prefer.

But if he does leave, what a fucking legend, crazy.

Also if he goes to the browns and succeeds he would probably be my undisputed favorite player ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom