• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
OSU hasn't ruled out selling beer in the Shoe.

Buncha dumb Carrie Nations clogging up the 11W comments section. So dumb that people can't grasp the idea that allowing the university to sell overpriced beer might actually cut down drunkenness at the stadium. You probably wouldn't have as many people showing up to the game trashed or as many people sneaking in hard liquor if they can actually purchase alcohol at the stadium.

Like selling $8 cups of Bud Light is going to turn the Shoe into Ten-Cent Beer Night every Saturday. Idiots.

ag-my001

Pretty sure A&M is supposed to start selling beer after the renovations are done, but only on the alumni sides and in the enclosed areas so IDs can be checked more easily.

Knowing how they patrol Northgate, I can see 500 TABC agents for the first game.

Georgia looking at getting another nonconference series with a power 5 team, looking at teams like USC, UCLA, and Penn State. Mentioned tOSU is out because Urban isn't interested, and Michigan is out due to their series with Florida and other schools.

Sounds like should have finalized in the near future.

Don't count on Penn State. Even with a new regime in place, I can't see them straying from their perpetually chickenshit OOC schedules.

Those back-to-back shellackings from Bama weren't that long ago.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

andycapps

"The narrative." Lord, Andy.

You don't think ESPN has narratives? You don't think they steer discussion in certain ways? Tebow, Manziel, SEC dominance the past few years?

What I'm saying is that ESPN isn't saying that about Saban because they view him as a harsh guy, chewing players and coaches out alike. Richt is thought of as being soft and a pushover, hence narrative around players "walking all over him." For the record I don't think either are the full story. And neither coach can be blamed for what these players do, what they can be blamed or congratulated for is what they do or don't do when they get in trouble. College kids are going to do stupid things, you can't blame the coach for that. Creating an enabling environment by not punishing them for failed drug tests or other offenses is something a coach should rightly be blamed for (not saying that's happening here).

mre

You don't think ESPN has narratives? You don't think they steer discussion in certain ways? Tebow, Manziel, SEC dominance the past few years?
Not if you believe ESPN's VP of Journalism, Vince Doria, who testified under oath that ESPN does nothing more than follow stories.

Sarcasm aside, my comment was more for the poor pitiful Georgia undertones to your post.

andycapps

Not if you believe ESPN's VP of Journalism, Vince Doria, who testified under oath that ESPN does nothing more than follow stories.

Sarcasm aside, my comment was more for the poor pitiful Georgia undertones to your post.

Haha that's great about them just following stories.

I can see how it would come across that way, I'm just wishing that they'd be fair in using their jump to conclusions mat.

andycapps

I think three counts of domestic violence is just a tad bit more than "college kids do stupid things."

Well sure, that's a kid that needs help, doesn't need to be playing on a football team.

Wait, are we talking about Jonathan Taylor or the latest kid to get in trouble? Thought we were talking about Taylor.

mre

I think three counts of domestic violence is just a tad bit more than "college kids do stupid things."
Not to split hairs, but it's two counts, neither of which involve physically touching the victim. He should miss some games, including Wisconsin, in my opinion, but not be dismissed.

mre

Twitter told me three and they never lie!
It's because Twitter probably got their info from the same article Andy linked, the author of whom Twitter apparently thinks can't use commas properly.

The article is written like this:
Alabama senior cornerback Cyrus Jones was arrested late Tuesday night and charged with third-degree domestic violence criminal mischief and third-degree domestic violence harassment, according to police records.
"Twitter" read it like this:
Alabama senior cornerback Cyrus Jones was arrested late Tuesday night and charged with (1) third-degree domestic violence (2) criminal mischief and (3) third-degree domestic violence harassment, according to police records.
When in reality, it should be read like this:
Alabama senior cornerback Cyrus Jones was arrested late Tuesday night and charged with (1) third-degree domestic violence criminal mischief and (2) third-degree domestic violence harassment, according to police records.

Draxal

Don't count on Penn State. Even with a new regime in place, I can't see them straying from their perpetually chickenshit OOC schedules.

Those back-to-back shellackings from Bama weren't that long ago.

I think that's more on Franklin than PSU. But yeah their OOC is horrific this year, and they also have Illinois and NW as their crossovers.

@ Temple (default home game)
Buffalo
SDSU
Army

They should have at least 9 wins this year.

cdyhybrid

UW doesn't even have a spring game anymore. We have a "spring preview", which is just an open spring practice with some token fan participation and some scrimmaging sprinkled in.

Meh.

Draxal

UW doesn't even have a spring game anymore. We have a "spring preview", which is just an open spring practice with some token fan participation and some scrimmaging sprinkled in.

Meh.

I think spring games are utterly boring, but it's a good time to get meet famous alumni and see what recruits are interested in your team.

So how isnt the Jameis got the crab legs for free a bigger story? It seemed like it was a much much bigger deal when everyone thought he stole them.

So how isnt the Jameis got the crab legs for free a bigger story? It seemed like it was a much much bigger deal when everyone thought he stole them.

Him stealing them creates controversy and animosity against the player, and ESPN can parlay that into ratings. Him having a store hookup doesn't do the same, and ESPN is all about the NFL Draft right now. Perhaps when that dust has settled, ESPN might focus on trying to see if tearing down Florida State can move the needle any.

mre

I feel like maybe my sarcastic tone was not properly conveyed.
What other secrets does Twitter tell you?
Publix says he stole them. Said their investigation showed he did not get permission from an employee.
Manager: So, Chad. Did you give away $30.00 worth of our property or did this guy steal it? Keep in mind, that somebody is going to jail here.

Chad: He, uh, stole it?

I think that's more on Franklin than PSU. But yeah their OOC is horrific this year, and they also have Illinois and NW as their crossovers.

Nah, it's not just Franklin. PSU has scheduled garbage OOC games for ages.

They'd do an occasional formidable OOC home-and-away, but Paterno pretty much always scheduled nothing but crap for their early games.

Draxal

Haha, I saw that on the list posted earlier and my reaction was "Cal has a spring game?"

I was just trying to verify that attendance numbers (these are usually pulled out of the ass).

But all I could find is this.

Cal-Coach-Arrested-Prostitution-Sting.jpg

Oh found a pic.

Yeah, that number looks right after all.

mre

I was just trying to verify that attendance numbers (these are usually pulled out of the ass).

But all I could find is this.

Oh found a pic.

Yeah, that number looks right after all.
All of a sudden it looks as if Georgia Tech's spring game was well attended.

Cowturd was talking about it on the radio last week. I think people just don't give a shit about it anymore. He got away with it and no one is gonna get punished for it so why keep talking about it?

KingGondo

Banned
Browns are the most clueless NFL team out there. Let me do their picks and even that would be better than what they'll get.
So true.

I became a fan of the Browns when they drafted Weeden and I'm going on hiatus after last season.

I'm willing to root for a bad team that has some hope of getting better, but it's almost like the Browns are bad by design. The team is run by incompetent fools.

With that said, I'm a huge fan of Mariota and think he'll be a good NFL QB from everything I've read.

andycapps

So true.

I became a fan of the Browns when they drafted Weeden and I'm going on hiatus after last season.

I'm willing to root for a bad team that has some hope of getting better, but it's almost like the Browns are bad by design. The team is run by incompetent fools.

With that said, I'm a huge fan of Mariota and think he'll be a good NFL QB from everything I've read.

I'm really not sure about Mariota. I'm not sure about anybody going to the NFL. So much depends on who he's drafted by. Anybody the Browns or the Raiders draft is screwed.

Not meaning to stir up debate in this thread, but former UGA WR, Chris Conley, made a post about what's going on in Baltimore. Kid has a future in politics. Couple spelling mistakes but it's a well written piece.

mre

I'm really not sure about Mariota. I'm not sure about anybody going to the NFL. So much depends on who he's drafted by. Anybody the Browns or the Raiders draft is screwed.

Not meaning to stir up debate in this thread, but former UGA WR, Chris Conley, made a post about what's going on in Baltimore. Kid has a future in politics. Couple spelling mistakes but it's a well written piece.
Haven't read this piece but Conley has always been an impressive young man. Didn't realize he had graduated.

andycapps

Haven't read this piece but Conley has always been an impressive young man. Didn't realize he had graduated.
Graduated this year and had a good showing at the combine which helped his draft stock a great deal. Ran a 4.35 40, 45 inch vertical, etc. Could be a great 2nd WR in NFL. But he could go anywhere from the 2nd-5th round, IMO.

mre

So Auburn had a football player arrested, but I notice that Andy hasn't brought that news here yet because it doesn't fit his narrative of Alabama players being out of control!

andycapps

So Auburn had a football player arrested, but I notice that Andy hasn't brought that news here yet because it doesn't fit his narrative of Alabama players being out of control!

Was coming here to post that! ;p

Auburn's Elijah Daniel has been suspended indefinitely following an arrest for four counts of theft of property: one first-degree, one second-degree charge, and two third-degree charges. Also, four counts of burglary: one second-degree charge and three third-degree charges.

From the article:

Two of the theft charges and all burglary charges are felonies and two of the theft charges are misdemeanors. The sentencing for Class B felonies is 2-20 years, Class C felonies are 1-10 years and Class A misdemeanors carry a punishment of up to a year in jail.

Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom