• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

For smaller releases there's Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, Resogun, Shovel Knight, Rogue Legacy, Don't Starve, Hohokum, Valiant Hearts, and Axiom Verge. As for larger games there's Last of Us: Remastered, Bloodborne, Mortal Kombat X, Infamous (not amazing but it's another thing that you can find cheap), Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, and Assassin's Creed:Black Flag. You've probably played a lot of those elsewhere already but those were just a few that I could think of that you might want to pick up on discounts if you hadn't already played them. I hope you have had PS+ throughout the lifetime of the PS3 as there have been plenty of good free games offered for the PS4.

Also super upset about Amazon tax thing here

Those of us in Texas feel your pain.

Evolve is super trash game and the online community is more or less dead already. It was fun for a few hours but it's gets very dull very quick especially when you're only playing with randos

That's kind of what I feared would happen with it. I'm generally wary of games that are entirely online-focused. If the community goes to shit, the game is worthless. It's why I'm holding off buying Splatoon for the time being (though it at least has a single-player campaign).

I'm mixed, because it definitely gives Amazon a hugely unfair advantage over B&Ms, but I've not been conflicted enough about it to start reporting the purchases on my tax returns paying the taxes owed. At least this move by Amazon finally relieves me of my hypocrisy.

andycapps

Finally getting a PS4 because Amazon is going to start collecting sales taxes from Ohio residents this week.

Since there's no fucking way I'm venturing over to gaming side any time soon, game recommendations from CFB-GAF would be much appreciated. And no sports games because I hate sports games.
The Last of Us if you haven't played it yet. If you have, it's still probably worth playing. Evolve is a pretty good game, not worth full price but I think it's pretty fun.

Infamous Second Son is great. Resogun is good. Bunch of other good PSN games.

I'll second Infamous:SS (and First Light). Other than that all I've played is GTAV, Last of Us & Metro Remix, all were good. I'll probably give Bloodborne a try one of these days.

impirius

Far Cry 4... it's like 3 but prettier and without the awful story. There was even an article from the EDSBS folks about it recently, so it's thematic!
Infamous: SS or First Light. They're both reasonably priced and feature fun open-city traversal.
Witcher 3 if you want an excellent action RPG.
Diablo 3 if you've ever been into Diablo or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.
A PS+ Subscription

Splatoon

The Witcher 3 is the best game on the system, that's including TLOU.

Bloodborne is a must get too. Those two games are really enough to last you for a good bit of time, but some other games of note...

Madden 15 - Not great, but the best Madden in years.
The New Order - You can get this one cheap now. A must get if you enjoy FPSers.
GTAV - Remarkable game made better on the PS4/XB1.
Second Son - Not quite as good as the second InFamous, but a solid title with some really fun parts.
Dragon Age - I loved it, and it was my GOTY last year, but playing it after Witcher 3 might be a bit of a let down.

Draxal

Is Bloodborne any less intimidating than the Souls games? I attempted to play Dark Souls on the PS3 and didn't get very far into it. I like challenging games, but it was a bit too much for me.

I tried the Destiny demo and was not a fan.

Anyone play Evolve? It looked like fun and the reviews were pretty solid, though not exactly glowing.

The system comes with a code for TLOU Remastered, so that's nice.

EDIT: Looks like I could have gotten a bundle with TLOU and The Order for the same price, but The Order got such terrible reviews that I don't think it's even worth trying to change my order.

It's about the same as Dark Souls 1 imho, but I think the game looks alot nicer so it's easier to get past that YOU SUCK phase.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Been playing Witcher 3 for what seems like 2 weeks. 100 some odd hours. Still haven't got to the ending.

It's been all great, aside from some slight bugs. Battle system took some getting used to, but now it all feels right.

On PC, though, not PS4, so who knows how that runs in comparison.

Football talk: Saban's daughter was married @ Bryant Denny Stadium, and there were fireworks.

CGTpATdWcAAS6qK.jpg

Been playing Witcher 3 for what seems like 2 weeks. 100 some odd hours. Still haven't got to the ending.

It's been all great, aside from some slight bugs. Battle system took some getting used to, but now it all feels right.

Football talk: Saban's daughter was married @ Bryant Denny Stadium, and there were fireworks.

Is that a white Rolls Royce driving on the field?

Evolve is super trash game and the online community is more or less dead already. It was fun for a few hours but it's gets very dull very quick especially when you're only playing with randos

Haha, that was me in California like 5 years ago or whenever they finally started doing tax there.

I'd thought they were doing it everywhere by now.

Of course, now I'm in Oregon which has no sales tax, so bullet dodged :p

cdyhybrid

Haha, that was me in California like 5 years ago or whenever they finally started doing tax there.

Yeah, but then you have to live near Nike U fans.

Did Bear Bryant, Jr. invoke prima nocta?

andycapps

Believe they're starting to collect tax in Ohio because there will be two Amazon facilities in the state. New Albany and Cleveland I hear.

Edit: just saw the OT for this news. RIP to my Amazon orders. Not really, I'd still rather order from them than be harassed by salespeople.

Believe they're starting to collect tax in Ohio because there will be two Amazon facilities in the state. New Albany and Cleveland I hear.

Edit: just saw the OT for this news. RIP to my Amazon orders. Not really, I'd still rather order from them than be harassed by salespeople.

A few weeks ago I found a great pair of waterproof Bluetooth headphones to wear while working out. $99 on Amazon. $129 at Best Buy.

I wanted them immediately, so I printed out the Amazon listing to see if Best Buy would price match. I took it to Best Buy and they refused to match because it was from an Amazon affiliate. I pointed out to them that it was fulfilled by Amazon and even eligible for free Prime shipping, and they still refused to match.

So yeah, I'll still be going to Amazon in situations like that. Fuck Best Buy.

andycapps

A few weeks ago I found a great pair of waterproof Bluetooth headphones to wear while working out. $99 on Amazon. $129 at Best Buy.

I wanted them immediately, so I printed out the Amazon listing to see if Best Buy would price match. I took it to Best Buy and they refused to match because it was from an Amazon affiliate. I pointed out to them that it was fulfilled by Amazon and even eligible for free Prime shipping, and they still refused to match.

I hate going there, though I do tend to get my games from them if I'm impatient and don't order from Amazon. Even with tax, Amazon is still going to be cheaper most of the time, and people still have to pay taxes when they buy locally.

Cue someone reminding me that we've always been legally required to keep track of sales taxes that aren't paid at time of sale and pay those at the end of the year.

Draxal

Best buy is the place buy to buy games with the Gamer Club.

It was their awful return policy that convinced me never to shop at Best Buy again. I don't miss them.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So, it sounds like UAB is going to announce theyre are reinstating football today.
What a fucking farce. Just let it end. Here's what is going to happen: UAB brings football "back." They have no players. UAB sucks, hard. Nobody goes to the games because (1) UAB sucks, hard and (2) Legion Field. The Board of Trustees looks at both the poorly-performing football program and poor attendance and decides to cut the program again.

They never should have gotten rid of the program in the first place, but since they did, let it stay dead.

I guess the only positive is that they apparently still have their coach? Unless something has changed, Bill Clark was going to stay on at UAB in some capacity for another year so that he can vest in the Alabama State Employee's retirement system.

The rumor going around is they will stay shutdown for 2015 and return starting 2016.

Edit: And who knows if they'll have to go through the entire recertification process.

What a fucking farce. Just let it end. Here's what is going to happen: UAB brings football "back." They have no players. UAB sucks, hard. Nobody goes to the games because (1) UAB sucks, hard and (2) Legion Field. The Board of Trustees looks at both the poorly-performing football program and poor attendance and decides to cut the program again.

They never should have gotten rid of the program in the first place, but since they did, let it stay dead.

I guess the only positive is that they apparently still have their coach? Unless something has changed, Bill Clark was going to stay on at UAB in some capacity for another year so that he can vest in the Alabama State Employee's retirement system.

I'm surprised you side with the Alabama System regents. I'm sure they would prefer it to stay dead, but given how poorly the process was handled to eliminate the program, and the negative nationwide publicity surrounding it, they have decided to exchange their villain role for that of a hero. I feel it's a glorified PR move to be honest.( a very expensive PR move, but one they probably felt needed to happen )

mre

I'm surprised you side with the Alabama System regents. I'm sure they would prefer it to stay dead, but given how poorly the process was handled to eliminate the program, and the negative nationwide publicity surrounding it, they have decided to exchange their villain role for a hero. I feel it's a glorified PR move to be honest.( a very expensive PR move, but one they probably felt needed to happen )
I don't side with them. You ignored the entire first half of that sentence: "They never should have gotten rid of the program in the first place, but since they did, let it stay dead."

It was a farce to get rid of the program, but bringing it back now will just give them justification for killing it again in 5 years.

I don't side with them. You ignored the entire first half of that sentence: "They never should have gotten rid of the program in the first place, but since they did, let it stay dead."

It was a farce to get rid of the program, but bringing it back now will just give them justification for killing it again in 5 years.

How so?

mre

(1) Because UAB is now starting over from scratch with respect to player development. They have no players, and they're going to have a bitch of a time recruiting anyone decent. "Oh, son. You don't want to go there. Do you really want to go some place where they're likely to shutter the program again?"

(2) See (1). They're going to get killed on the field.

(3) See (2). After an initial burst of interest, fan interest in a losing product is going to plummet. They have to be competitive to justify driving down to Legion Field to see a game. With a losing product, even less people are going to go to the games than went to the games before.

(4) See (3). UAB football really does start to lose money.

I'm really pessimistic that football at UAB is going to be given a fair shake by the Board of Trustees. They're not going to see it as an investment in the school's public image, and they're not going to provide it with the resources it needs to consistently be even a 6-7 win team. They're going to reinstate football just so it can limp along for a couple more years until they can actually justify taking it out back behind the barn, this time without all of the backlash.

Again, I don't agree with the BoT. I just see bringing UAB football back as the BoT creating a self-fulfilling prophesy so that they can finally kill it.

(1) Because UAB is now starting over from scratch with respect to player development. They have no players, and they're going to have a bitch of a time recruiting anyone decent. "Oh, son. You don't want to go there. Do you really want to go some place where they're likely to shutter the program again?"

(2) See (1). They're going to get killed on the field.

(3) See (2). After an initial burst of interest, fan interest in a losing product is going to plummet. They have to be competitive to justify driving down to Legion Field to see a game. With a losing product, even less people are going to go to the games than went to the games before.

(4) See (3). UAB football really does start to lose money.

I'm really pessimistic that football at UAB is going to be given a fair shake by the Board of Trustees. They're not going to see it as an investment in the school's public image, and they're not going to provide it with the resources it needs to consistently be even a 6-7 win team. They're going to reinstate football just so it can limp along for a couple more years until they can actually justify taking it out back behind the barn, this time without all of the backlash.

Again, I don't agree with the BoT. I just see bringing UAB football back as the BoT creating a self-fulfilling prophesy so that they can finally kill it.

They may very well have that in mind. They would never come out and full on admit to it, but I do think given the evidence it's a valid theory and this could be their intention. It's about as pessimistic as it gets, but sometimes our pessimism proves to be spot on. With that said, hopefully you're wrong ( and I bet you hope you're wrong too ) and UAB football comes back strong enough to hold its own to avoid future potential disbandment.

mre

They may very well have that in mind. They would never come out and full on admit to it, but I do think given the evidence it's a valid theory and this could be their intention. It's about as pessimistic as it gets, but sometimes our pessimism proves to be spot on. With that said, hopefully you're wrong ( and I bet you hope you're wrong too ) and UAB football comes back strong enough to hold its own to avoid future potential disbandment.
I would love for UAB football to stay around. As I said earlier, one positive they have is that Bill Clark is still there, and he's a hell of a football coach. I just don't know how you can recruit kids with other options to a school that has already killed the program once, but I guess that's a problem Coach Clark will be happy to have.

andycapps

I would love for UAB football to stay around. As I said earlier, one positive they have is that Bill Clark is still there, and he's a hell of a football coach. I just don't know how you can recruit kids with other options to a school that has already killed the program once, but I guess that's a problem Coach Clark will be happy to have.

I'd like them to at least take another shot at it. But yeah, I agree that it's going to be hard to get anybody good to go there. Also, if I were one of their boosters that was agreeing to pony up millions of dollars, I'd want some guarantees as far as what their plans are for the program. I'm sure that's been discussed elsewhere.

mre

I'd like them to at least take another shot at it. But yeah, I agree that it's going to be hard to get anybody good to go there. Also, if I were one of their boosters that was agreeing to pony up millions of dollars, I'd want some guarantees as far as what their plans are for the program. I'm sure that's been discussed elsewhere.
One of the big issues from the Before Time was that when donors would want to donate money explicitly for the football program, UAB would refuse those donations unless they were allowed to spend the money without conditions.

Donor: Hey, I'd like to donate money to UAB football.

UAB: Wow, thanks! We'll gladly accept this donation to UAB.

Donor: But that's going to the football program right?

UAB: Uh huh. It's going to UAB.

Donor: To the UAB football program?

UAB: Right, to UAB.

Donor: To the football program?

UAB: What's that now?

andycapps

One of the big issues from the Before Time was that when donors would want to donate money explicitly for the football program, UAB would refuse those donations unless they were allowed to spend the money without conditions.

Donor: Hey, I'd like to donate money to UAB football.

UAB: Wow, thanks! We'll gladly accept this donation to UAB.

Donor: But that's going to the football program right?

UAB: Uh huh. It's going to UAB.

Donor: To the UAB football program?

UAB: Right, to UAB.

Donor: To the football program?

UAB: What's that now?

The thing I was seeing a few days ago was that the AD told people behind closed doors what the amounts needed to reinstate football, but wouldn't say in public. Donors were worried that he'd move the goalposts later. I can't see how anybody involved in the decision at UAB hasn't been forced out by boosters yet.

mre

The thing I was seeing a few days ago was that the AD told people behind closed doors what the amounts needed to reinstate football, but wouldn't say in public. Donors were worried that he'd move the goalposts later. I can't see how anybody involved in the decision at UAB hasn't been forced out by boosters yet.
Boosters have no power at UAB? Hence the elimination of the football program in the first place.
UAB's fan must be going nuts.
:jnc

I may have graduated from a big school, but I've always sympathized with the little guys. I hope UT-Arlington gets their football program back one day. There's another football team that plays in Arlington that may reduce their draw, but they still deserve one.

I went to two otherwise D1 schools (transferred from one to the other) that didn't have football. The one has just added it in the past two years. The other still has no plans to do so (to my knowledge). I'm good with that. But then, I have no affinity for either's athletic program. I wonder if it's a chicken and egg thing? No football, no affinity? Whatever, who cares.

I went to two otherwise D1 schools (transferred from one to the other) that didn't have football. The one has just added it in the past two years. The other still has no plans to do so (to my knowledge). I'm good with that. But then, I have no affinity for either's athletic program. I wonder if it's a chicken and egg thing? No football, no affinity? Whatever, who cares.

I definitely think there's a correlation. Yale and Harvard students have a ton of school pride. Their football rivalry is almost as intense as their academic rivalry. The University of Chicago has academics that rival Harvard and Yale, but you don't hear much school pride out of them. Reason? Lack of football imo

UCF - Stanford 10:30pm eastern time kickoff. Fuck the west coast. At least it's not on a CBS channel I guess. Game wouldn't end until like 3am eastern.

I definitely think there's a correlation. Yale and Harvard students have a ton of school pride. Their football rivalry is almost as intense as their academic rivalry. The University of Chicago has academics that rival Harvard and Yale, but you don't hear much school pride out of them. Reason? Lack of football imo

Rip founding member of B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom